Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

Avoiding the lottery strategy, and other topics about Mike Conley and the rebuild

3 minutes ago, grizz1016 said:

The 2018 draft shows that number can be high. The 2021 draft will have the best one and dones from 2020-2021 college season and the ones that would be in 2021-2022 season. The chances of us being in the lotto are high and IMO it’s sheer stupidity giving up a lotto pick in a draft like this.

I honestly don't think it will be a whole lot different.  Maybe one or two guys.  That isn't a lot.

i really doubt our FO blows it up and and tanks . if they move conley its gonna be to win more games  so i'm not to worrried about giving bos a top pick any time soon . every move we made this year was to improve and i dont see that changing .

the goal is surely not tanking, otherwise you dont call Chancun back (regardless of what he can do...I suspect pretty nothing)

However, it's likely that we will end up between the last 6-8 anyway, even if we play definitely better than two months ago.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I honestly don't think it will be a whole lot different.  Maybe one or two guys.  That isn't a lot.

Using that thought process, we might get a rotational player with a pick below top 3 in next year’s weak draft. Best to convey that now since in 2021, the probability of finding a better skilled player increases even in the lower part of the lottery. 

Heck we will probably find a rotational player of equal talent (2019 draft picks below top 3) in free agency.

I'd take Mac mcClung over Garland. 

Doubt he is a one and done. So next year we need that pick for McClung

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies are stupid to want to convey it now. I don't think it matters one way or the other honestly. 

It makes the most sense to send it now vs later,  the later in the draft the picks ends up being,  the better it is for us.   I'm sure we will never forget the LBJ draft,  sure as heck don't want that to happen again

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

You guys make way too big of a deal about the 2021 draft like there will be a glut of good players just because there will be HS to NBA allowed.  This isn't the first time the NBA had this.  If you go research all the previous drafts with HS to NBA you will find that maybe one HS to NBA player in each draft turns out to be good.  Sure, there was KG and Kobe and TMac and LBJ, but there was also Kwame Brown and Martell Webster and Sebastian Telfair etc.  There might be one or two worthwhile HS guys available in 2021 but I wouldn't be counting on a lot more.  With our draft history we're just as likely to draft the next Eddy Curry.

Wether hs is involved or not shouldn't alter this teams actions.  Give Boston a number 9 pick or a potential number 1 pick is what it boils down to. 

7 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i really doubt our FO blows it up and and tanks . if they move conley its gonna be to win more games  so i'm not to worrried about giving bos a top pick any time soon . every move we made this year was to improve and i dont see that changing .

Wallace said something much different. He basically said the goal is to get off the pick to start the rebuild

18 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Wether hs is involved or not shouldn't alter this teams actions.  Give Boston a number 9 pick or a potential number 1 pick is what it boils down to. 

I'm not against giving the pick this season.  I don't see why anyone cares what Boston gets.  It would seem unlikely, but it isn't impossible for them to get the best player in that draft class at the no. 9 spot.  If they do, so what?  We can't undo that stupid trade.  It isn't like we play in the same conference or anything either.

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'm not against giving the pick this season.  I don't see why anyone cares what Boston gets.  It would seem unlikely, but it isn't impossible for them to get the best player in that draft class at the no. 9 spot.  If they do, so what?  We can't undo that stupid trade.  It isn't like we play in the same conference or anything either.

Imagine giving Boston the number 1 pick in the middle of a rebuild, imagine winning,  or losing depending on how you look at it, but you can't even pick your Luka or zion (whomever you get the point)  to go with jjj because you owe Boston. 

5 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Imagine giving Boston the number 1 pick in the middle of a rebuild, imagine winning,  or losing depending on how you look at it, but you can't even pick your Luka or zion (whomever you get the point)  to go with jjj because you owe Boston. 

Everyone is too concerned with appearance.  The best thing they can do is quit making stupid trades.

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

Everyone is too concerned with appearance.  The best thing they can do is quit making stupid trades.

Its not appearance and you can't untrade a trade,  the damage is done,  our ownly course is to minimize the damage.  Id you're in rhe lottery would ypu rather pick first or 9th? If you could have drafted LeBron James would you? 

10 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

The grizzlies aren't going to get the #1 pick in 2021. And they aren't going to have to in 2020 or 2019 if they win the lottery. The best the grizzlies can do is to get talent now and worry about what they can control.

People are too worried about 2021.

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies aren't going to get the #1 pick in 2021. And they aren't going to have to in 2020 or 2019 if they win the lottery. The best the grizzlies can do is to get talent now and worry about what they can control.

People are too worried about 2021.

You have zero idea what pick we will have. We know that we can give Boston the 9th or higher pick this year and thats what we can control and are worried about

A team in as bad of shape as the Grizzlies should not have unprotected picks out there no matter what you sit around and pray that they can build in two years. Plus 2020 alone is a monster high school class. Dont know what else there is to say about that.

The idea is that you give this pick up then try to get a good pick for Mike Conley. That is your pick this year and then you go from there.

10 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Its not appearance and you can't untrade a trade,  the damage is done,  our ownly course is to minimize the damage.  Id you're in rhe lottery would ypu rather pick first or 9th? If you could have drafted LeBron James would you? 

We're not picking at all.  The trade is done.  Like you said, you can't untrade a trade.  We're not minimizing damage because the trade is done.  It's only appearance that is the concern.  They don't want to be seen as the team that traded a generational talent (the pick) to Boston for Jeff Green.  I'm okay with giving the pick this season with the expectation that we will be worse in coming seasons, but that isn't a given fact either.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

A team in as bad of shape as the Grizzlies should not have unprotected picks out there no matter what you sit around and pray that they can build in two years. Plus 2020 alone is a monster high school class. Dont know what else there is to say about that.

The idea is that you give this pick up then try to get a good pick for Mike Conley. That is your pick this year and then you go from there.

Exactly, giving boston rhe pick this year is the best casw scenario. We give them the worst pick we can,  we acquire assets for mike and we move forward with the rebuild 

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

We're not picking at all.  The trade is done.  Like you said, you can't untrade a trade.  We're not minimizing damage because the trade is done.  It's only appearance that is the concern.  They don't want to be seen as the team that traded a generational talent (the pick) to Boston for Jeff Green.  I'm okay with giving the pick this season with the expectation that we will be worse in coming seasons, but that isn't a given fact either.

Us being worse in the coming seasons is the more likely scenerio,  especially if we're moving Conley this off-season.  The purpose of moving the pick now is that we ourselves won't miss on a generational talent considering we will suck for the foreseeable future 

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

So it's going to put every previous HS class to shame, or what?  Pardon my skepticism, but I think knowing if a HS kid's skills are going to translate to the NBA is really iffy.

21 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

No, its not just about "apperance." Silliness. We want to actually have that generational talent on our team. Both playoff runs so far was missing a superstar piece that could have been had in 2003 and 2009. Arent you tired of that? If you arent picking at the top of this draft there are superstar level talents to be had.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

So it's going to put every previous HS class to shame, or what?  Pardon my skepticism, but I think knowing if a HS kid's skills are going to translate to the NBA is really iffy.

Its way better than this draft and the next one.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No, its not just about "apperance." Silliness. We want to actually have that generational talent on our team. Both playoff runs so far was missing a superstar piece that could have been had in 2003 and 2009. Arent you tired of that? If you arent picking at the top of this draft there are superstar level talents to be had.

We had our pick in 2009, jus' sayin'.