Sign in to follow this  
memphis slim

agreed geoff, hire shane

I believe pera could convince battier to come and be the top brass of the grizz. I think it’d be an incredibly intelligent move and would instantly give credibility back to a comical group of characters. 

have shane be the man under pera and he would then assemble his own fo. 

I know that shane has a good gig going in south beach, but this would be too great of an opportunity to pass up on imo. 

pera, this would save the die-hards you’re holding onto by a fingernail- those that don’t understand why you abandoned gasol, ta and zbo. that describes a great deal of season-ticket buying, lower bowlers. you want to truly get their trust and admiration back? hire shane. it’d work and he’s highly intelligent and charismatic. 

slim. 

I have no idea why the grizzlies would do that, what qualifications does he have other than being the "good guy," and I was really turned off by him being a shill for Budweiser and the memphis golden moments campaign or whatever that was.

Besides, I LIKE what the front office has been doing, with getting all of these long arm, defensive guys that can handle the rock, play defense and shoot.

The grizzlies I think punked Toronto in that deal. They got tremendous value for Marc: a great prospect Wright, who is long armed, can defend, pass and rebound and an 8 year younger Marc Gasol replacement, plus a second round pick and CJ Miles who can be flipped in the future.

I doubt if Chris Wallace is in charge anymore. 

it’d be the smartest thing he’s done since purchasing the team. immediately after the 82nd game, fire the entire fo staff and have shane assemble his fo staff. 

slim. 

7 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

it’d be the smartest thing he’s done since purchasing the team. immediately after the 82nd game, fire the entire fo staff and have shane assemble his fo staff. 

slim. 

lol

i guess you’ve been pleased with all things griz fo. I can only guess that you don’t understand that there’s a completely other side to b-ball ops. It’s not just contracts and long-term fit. If you’re not going to be winning big here, you better have the lower-bowlers hearts with you. 

i actually see this last week as a little encouraging as well, but there’s a huge fan segment out there (bongo ladies of the griz world) that the fo and ownership had better pay attention to. no disrespect, but I think they’ll risk increasing your little lol’s as opposed to not having the bongos in the lower bowls. just my take. lol. 

slim. 

8 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

i guess you’ve been pleased with all things griz fo. I can only guess that you don’t understand that there’s a completely other side to b-ball ops. It’s not just contracts and long-term fit. If you’re not going to be winning big here, you better have the lower-bowlers hearts with you. 

i actually see this last week as a little encouraging as well, but there’s a huge fan segment out there (bongo ladies of the griz world) that the fo and ownership had better pay attention to. no disrespect, but I think they’ll risk increasing your little lol’s as opposed to not having the bongos in the lower bowls. just my take. lol. 

slim. 

No, but I want somebody that has a vision for this team and in general former players usually get owned by the stat geeks. Magic Johnson is hilarious, by the way. Isiah Thomas, lol. Math IS the nba right now. 

I would rather have Shane Battier be the "face" of the franchise.  Rather than Chris Wallace or Pera.  Other than that, let's just get as many talented people as possible.  Hollinger should do his stuff.  Wallace is a boom/bust guy.  He keeps EVERYBODY in the game and EVERYBODY on their toes.  I like the trades -- I like the Jaren pick (I STILL don't know what to think of the 2018 draft, I think it was OVERRATED and I think a FEW of the top guys might even be peaking this year).  Rabb/Dillon were solid Moneyball picks.  Let's see what happens.  Not that we should give Chris Wallace a promotion -- he needs 2 grand slam draft picks and some awesome trades for a better Christmas bonus.

Give the whole thing to Shane? Don't see it.  He would probably draft Brandon Clarke at 2 (not saying we should or shouldn't either way).  He hit ONE big shot in the playoffs and was part of a losing era until he came back and fit right in.  I wouldn't hand him the keys just yet....

IF Shane DOES get hired hopefully they give credit to the posters here who thought of it first!

I'm thinking we have a good start to a FO Four Horsemen if we get Shane: Shane is the Nature Boy.  Chris Wallace is the enforcer and doing double duty as Hollinger's tag team partner.  We need an "up and comer" uber-stats guy who can ALSO be a good old-school scout and has an eye for talent (a John Calipari type maybe).  Ok, ok, I WILL DO IT!

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I have no idea why the grizzlies would do that, what qualifications does he have other than being the "good guy," and I was really turned off by him being a shill for Budweiser and the memphis golden moments campaign or whatever that was.

Besides, I LIKE what the front office has been doing, with getting all of these long arm, defensive guys that can handle the rock, play defense and shoot.

The grizzlies I think punked Toronto in that deal. They got tremendous value for Marc: a great prospect Wright, who is long armed, can defend, pass and rebound and an 8 year younger Marc Gasol replacement, plus a second round pick and CJ Miles who can be flipped in the future.

I doubt if Chris Wallace is in charge anymore. 

I like the moves too.

We do have some nasty length and toughness.  Almost a Bad Boys type set-up. 

Let's see what CW & Co. do with their next draft pick (either this year or next year).  I think this year is underrated, next year's draft scares me to death and 2021/2022 who knows who will even be in those things, some guys might go back to school and some others might reclassify.

Shane was what he was: the 4th guy on an All Time "Big Three" (LeBron, D Wade, and Bosh).

Jonnie West , he may be to young to take over but he'd be great to bring in at some capacity , he's done nothing but impress anyone and everyone he comes in contact with , if want want a guy that is well respected and well liked by pretty much everyone he's ever worked with its him . he played high school ball with marc and college ball under higgins  , he's worked  his  butt off and moved up in the ranks at GS.

want an up and comer with old school  flair ?  how about the son of Jerry West one of the best of  all time .

https://theathletic.com/82019/2017/08/05/meet-jonnie-west-son-of-nba-legend-caddie-in-stephen-currys-dream-come-true-warriors-front-office-executive-on-the-rise/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/12/how-warriors-jonnie-west-learned-from-jerry-west-while-becoming-his-own-man/

https://gleague.nba.com/news/golden-state-warriors-nba-champions-jonnie-west-jerry-west/

If anyone wants homework or a research challenge, I'd like to see what the average ranking is for franchises with a former player as GM and a non-player. It'd be interesting if there is that much difference.  The top few teams don't seem to have former players as GM, but the Grizzlies do, so that cancels things out.

I don't care if it is Shane or Tayshaun or Matt freaking Barnes....just get someone who is willing to work hard and put in their time.

I take that back, I don't want Matt Barnes.

Who's Geoff?   Caulkins?  If so, what's he got to do with it?

15 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

If anyone wants homework or a research challenge, I'd like to see what the average ranking is for franchises with a former player as GM and a non-player. It'd be interesting if there is that much difference.  The top few teams don't seem to have former players as GM, but the Grizzlies do, so that cancels things out.

I don't care if it is Shane or Tayshaun or Matt freaking Barnes....just get someone who is willing to work hard and put in their time.

I take that back, I don't want Matt Barnes.

He might get a deal by beating the other GM's @zz.

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

No, but I want somebody that has a vision for this team and in general former players usually get owned by the stat geeks. Magic Johnson is hilarious, by the way. Isiah Thomas, lol. Math IS the nba right now. 

shane is a stats guy , big time geek !

https://bigthink.com/videos/big-data-and-basketball-with-shane-battier

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/mit_news/qa-shane-battier-on-the-nba-analytics-and-more/

6 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I think he believes in Analytics and is fascinated by it. I don't think he KNOWS it that well though. 

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who's Geoff?   Caulkins?  If so, what's he got to do with it?

He might get a deal by beating the other GM's @zz.

yea, caulkins. he wrote an article suggesting shane. for the record, I’m saying bring in shane to be the top guy- your head of b-ball ops. the gm, as I would envision it, would work under him. I’m not suggesting that shane would be our gm. 

slim. 

56 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Maybe he will bring in Laettner to be player-owner...🙄

😄 Man, I had almost forgotten about that.

44 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

yea, caulkins. he wrote an article suggesting shane. for the record, I’m saying bring in shane to be the top guy- your head of b-ball ops. the gm, as I would envision it, would work under him. I’m not suggesting that shane would be our gm. 

slim. 

Ehhh, I don't know, I'm still liking fanboyslim for the job.;)

7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You guys both make good points. If I could see post counts, I’d know who to side with.

9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I’m in too - team fanboyslim  

7 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

What about Mike Miller? Or should I start another thread? Or is he just a dumb jock who could shoot lights out? 

He don't know what fanboyslim knows!

6 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Even though I like fanboyslim, he'd have too many people from this board screaming at him every time he took someone they didn't like, except you and I. of course. :)

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy, maybe we wouldn't want to subject him to that, or.....      just don't read the boards fanboyslim!