Sign in to follow this  
Grizz&Grind

CJ Miles

FWIW - article from the Toronto Sun only from about 2 weeks ago:

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/miles-wants-this-to-be-the-start-of-something-more-than-you-know

With the benefit of hindsight, as with most things, it is easy to connect the dots and get a pretty good idea of what went wrong for C.J. Miles this season.

The man worked his *** of in the summer to come back and be the player the Raptors thought they were signing in July of 2017 to a three-year deal that will conclude next season with a third and final year at $8.33 million.

His first season with the club was hampered by injuries and never really had a flow to it from the beginning. Off the court there were some life developments like the arrival of his new child that played into the up and down season as well, though no one, and certainly not Miles would ever suggest that was a hardship.

But after an initial season in Raptors’ colours in which his shooting numbers took a dive from 43.4 % (shooting) and 41.3% (from three-point range) a year earlier to 37.9% and 36.1% respectively, it was clear Miles wanted and expected to deliver more.

There were whispers about his weight and conditioning in that first year even before the injuries began. This past off-season he tried to put those question to rest came into camp looking leaner and more toned than perhaps ever previously in his career.

Then the ball just stopped going through the hoop for him.

He got me,” Wallace said of Masai trade deal "That f***ing Masai boomed me."
Wallace added, “He’s so good,” repeating it four times.

43 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

FWIW - article from the Toronto Sun only from about 2 weeks ago:

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/miles-wants-this-to-be-the-start-of-something-more-than-you-know

With the benefit of hindsight, as with most things, it is easy to connect the dots and get a pretty good idea of what went wrong for C.J. Miles this season.

The man worked his *** of in the summer to come back and be the player the Raptors thought they were signing in July of 2017 to a three-year deal that will conclude next season with a third and final year at $8.33 million.

His first season with the club was hampered by injuries and never really had a flow to it from the beginning. Off the court there were some life developments like the arrival of his new child that played into the up and down season as well, though no one, and certainly not Miles would ever suggest that was a hardship.

But after an initial season in Raptors’ colours in which his shooting numbers took a dive from 43.4 % (shooting) and 41.3% (from three-point range) a year earlier to 37.9% and 36.1% respectively, it was clear Miles wanted and expected to deliver more.

There were whispers about his weight and conditioning in that first year even before the injuries began. This past off-season he tried to put those question to rest came into camp looking leaner and more toned than perhaps ever previously in his career.

Then the ball just stopped going through the hoop for him.

I just read the article, and I don't think it is easy to connect the dots with what went wrong.

Was it the injury, the defense/defence taking away the corner 3 or was he rushing things.

Or was he just not any good.

Hopefully a change of scenery and some Gus's Fried Chicken and Memphis BBQ will help him out (although not too much of that if he has a weight issue).

Temple was my least favorite signings in the last few years ....

So the bar is pretty low for CJ.

17 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Temple was my least favorite signings in the last few years ....

So the bar is pretty low for CJ.

Well we didn't sign either one of them. 

CJ can still be effective as a SF off the bench. He has to be more efficient though. Next year when Brooks comes back, miles shouldn't have to play, as they provide a lot of the same elements. But he's not a bad 12th guy by any means, just an overpaid one. 

He was decent against the Pels.

Problem is that seems to be MIles's forte - a few games of scoring in bunches and then a few games of 1-8 shooting.

Seemed in good enough shape though.

Could be a decent trade chip as an expiring next year if he keeps healthy and keeps making shots.

kind of a black hole though , he hasn't ever really passed it much and without hitting 3's that isn't a great combo .  he's really gotta find his stroke and keep it up . he really needs to  be a spot up shooter , he's no korver type thats going to fight to get open ,  he can''t really create either  ., can't pass . if he's going to hold the ball instead of just being a spot up shooter he's gonna look awful .

what is good is he doesn't really need much space to get his shot off . 

12 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

kind of a black hole though , he hasn't ever really passed it much and without hitting 3's that isn't a great combo .  he's really gotta find his stroke and keep it up . he really needs to  be a spot up shooter , he's no korver type thats going to fight to get open ,  he can''t really create either  ., can't pass . if he's going to hold the ball instead of just being a spot up shooter he's gonna look awful .

what is good is he doesn't really need much space to get his shot off . 

Right. My thought was that we would get an initial bump from all the news guys, but what happens when the emotions and newness fade away and it's back to the grind of basketball only?

However, the other night, he also looked to pass a couple of times and wasn't looking to shoot just 3s.

I would be shocked he didn't opt in next year as well.

2 hours ago, gentlemanquartely said:

I've got pretty reasonable expectations for the guy.  he's got a really sweet stroke and is adept at knocking down 3's of the screen.  he's burned us enough times for me to respect his game.

Right. He demands a double team and I’m thinking that opens things up more for our bigs to go at their man 1 on 1. I’m loving Jaron and Rabbs willingness to try to score around the rim so far this season.

He won’t be on the team next year. No point in discussing him

19 minutes ago, Allen said:

He won’t be on the team next year. No point in discussing him

If he looks like a vital enough part of the team by the end of the season I would think this F.O we have would definitely throw something at him that he just could not refuse, assuming he likes our bbq enough lol.

3 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

he has a player option

I see you Gender not telling . I hope for someone who interest is heavy mental , horror movies , beer , camping ,I hope your not a FEMALE

Just now, lions said:

I see you Gender not telling . I hope for someone who interest is heavy mental , horror movies , beer , camping ,I hope your not a FEMALE

i'm a sasquatch , we are genderless 

3 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i'm a sasquatch , we are genderless 

BIG FOOT