Sign in to follow this  
GrizzTigerFan

Welcome aboard Delon Wright!

Recommended Posts

Yall sleeping on the potential of this addition.    A 27yr old combo guard with size (6'5') that can play alongside Conley is extremely valuable.     We have been wanting another wing scorer/playmaker forever.   Now we have one.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these guys coming in on the trades get an audition with the Grizzlies because the fact is, the free agent market for the Grizzlies this summer isn't much better than the last couple years.

And some of these guys coming in are really the types of guys this team is getting.

Wright is one of them.

Avery Bradley isn't what he once was, but he is still a 30 mpg guy on  borderline playoff team (and he is better than Temple).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yall sleeping on the potential of this addition.    A 27yr old combo guard with size (6'5') that can play alongside Conley is extremely valuable.     We have been wanting another wing scorer/playmaker forever.   Now we have one.    

Great video from one game. Too bad he doesn't play like that all the time. He is shooting 43% from the field, 33% from the arc and averaging under 7 PPG this season. 

Temple had a game where he went for 30 this season. Doesn't make him a guy you want playing big minutes as we found out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

chip's such a party pooper.

Sorry GIF - ImSorry ImSoSorry GIFs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a little bit - good size, but he's a set shooter and doesn't seem overly athletic.

Like Chip said, it's only one game too. I watched Austin Rivers highlight reel where he looked like Steph Curry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

CJ Miles the times ive seen him play is like "MicroWave Vinny Johnson."  he has unlimited range.  probably the best pure shooter on our team since mike miller

He's like an out of shape, aging, less athletic version of Kelly Oubre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Great video from one game. Too bad he doesn't play like that all the time. He is shooting 43% from the field, 33% from the arc and averaging under 7 PPG this season. 

Temple had a game where he went for 30 this season. Doesn't make him a guy you want playing big minutes as we found out. 

Skillset man look at his skillset.    He is a combo that can penetrate to get to the rack or dish.   Who else on our team can do that???  Plus he is only 27y old which means he can be effective for atleast another 4years.    Temple was a mediocre 3pt shooter until the last couple of years of his career.    Delon can be a good fit here.  Don't hate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

He's like an out of shape, aging, less athletic version of Kelly Oubre.

Ouch. I don't like CJ but even I am not that mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Skillset man look at his skillset.    He is a combo that can penetrate to get to the rack or dish.   Who else on our team can do that???  Plus he is only 27y old which means he can be effective for atleast another 4years.    Temple was a mediocre 3pt shooter until the last couple of years of his career.    Delon can be a good fit here.  Don't hate. 

I've looked. He's an average combo guard who most likely won't improve, That's a problem when you realize he doesn't drive the ball that great all the time and he is a sub par three point shooter. I hope I am wrong but I also have to be honest about what is there. 

Compare these two players and tell me which is superior:

Player A: 6.6 PPG, 2.94 AST/TO, 0.73 STL/TO, 14.76 NBA Rating, 1.082 Scoring efficiency, .473 Shooting efficiency
Player B: 6.7 PPG, 2.97 Ast/TO, 1.24 STL/TO, 13.74 NBA Rating, 1.150 scoring efficiency, .485 shooting efficiency

I'd say player B is slightly better overall simply for his steals to turnover ration. Otherwise they aren't that different. The good news is both players are superior to Jevon Carter right now (I know he's the scrub love of the day but facts are facts). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

all of you will start liking him when he consistently knocks down shots.  something we haven't had in a very long while.

Something he hasn't done in a very long time either. That highlight clip was from last season. I hope I am wrong but I really don't see a huge upgrade here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

all of you will start liking him when he consistently knocks down shots.  something we haven't had in a very long while.

like Holiday ? this aint the Miles form his pacer days even then he's had 1 year above .400 .  if we wanted  a pure shooter instead of guys like holiday and miles who we  need to play better than they ever have .. we should have bit the bullet on korver who actually has build a career being one of the best of all time instead .


btw korver  got the cavs a 1st and 2 nd , a guy with no future on team ,    now they have knight and chriss  to use next year  ,  thats how you start rebuild ,   they tuned an old vet into a 1st , 2 nd .  can we do that with our assets from this gasol deal ?  

 

will korver get the cavs more than gasol gets the grizzlies when its all said and done ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more that I think about it, the more I think that Wright was and is the better prospect for the grizzlies to get over OG. 4 of the kids points in that game came off of battling for the offensive rebound. The difference between him and Shelvin Mack are like night and day, he is a great defender, and his ability to drive to the basket is great.

He reminds me of a tougher version of Jeremy Lin. I could see him improving rapidly in the grizzlies system. But he will be by far the most complete backup point guard that the grizzlies have ever had. He'll make Jevon Carter expendable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

like Holiday ? this aint the Miles form his pacer days even then he's had 1 year above .400 .  if we wanted  a pure shooter instead of guys like holiday and miles who we  need to play better than they ever have .. we should have bit the bullet on korver who actually has build a career being one of the best of all time instead .


btw korver  got the cavs a 1st and 2 nd , a guy with no future on team ,    now they have knight and chriss  to use next year  ,  thats how you start rebuild ,   they tuned an old vet into a 1st , 2 nd .  can we do that with our assets from this gasol deal ?  

 

will korver get the cavs more than gasol gets the grizzlies when its all said and done ? 

Korver got the Cavs two 2nd round picks, not a 1st and 2nd. Check yo facts man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Fanside:

Wright has seen a diminished role this season with the Raptors so far. He is by no means taking steps back from the previous season, but he just isn’t seeing enough minutes within this crowded backcourt.  With Norman Powell reportedly close to returning from injury, this would make Wright even more expendable.

Wright is a two-way guard who can offer a lot to a team. He has tremendous quickness and with his 6’5″ length, he can guard multiple positions out on the perimeter. He has also improved his three point shooting significantly this season.

Given his skillset, he could quickly develop into one of the best backup guards in the league, or even a more than capable starter if put in the right situation. Make no mistake, Wright is extremely valuable for the Raptors. He provides depth and security at the guard positions, and his skillset is well suited for the quick floor spacing system Nick Nurse implements.

It would be a shame for the Raptors to move on from Delon, but this may be the best course of action. He is just entering his prime, and his rookie scale contract will make him enticing on the trade market. Wright would be valuable to contending teams looking to add depth, or even lottery teams looking to take that next step. GM’s around the league know what he is capable of given the correct opportunity.

Ujiri and the Raptors would be better off holding on to Delon until the the right opportunity presents itself. There is no rush to move him, and he still remains extremely valuable for the team. Using him as a trade piece in a bigger blockbuster deal or to unload less desirable contracts would be ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Woj, Delon Wright was close to being traded to ORL. They ended up with Fultz when the trade didn’t materialise. That’s a team looking for a good young PG. 

Also Wright didn’t get much opportunity this season and so his production went down. I hope he gets a chance here and shows he can be part of the future here. He is a RFA so we can match the offer he will get instead of having to overpay him. Same goes for Holiday which I think we can retain him for cheap if he can play to the level before he got traded here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grizball said:

Per Woj, Delon Wright was close to being traded to ORL. They ended up with Fultz when the trade didn’t materialise. That’s a team looking for a good young PG. 

Also Wright didn’t get much opportunity this season and so his production went down. I hope he gets a chance here and shows he can be part of the future here. He is a RFA so we can match the offer he will get instead of having to overpay him. Same goes for Holiday which I think we can retain him for cheap if he can play to the level before he got traded here.

He WAS the prize of that trade, he will not only get an opportunity, it is his job. That's why they got rid of Shelvin Mack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this