Ole Dirty Klondike

Various Trade Analyses: Not good

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

 

and ? 

i was pointing capspace .. which is less and which is more  ?

Gasol 25m 

Temple .. GONE

JAM  . GONE

vs

Wrights QO

Bradley 13m

Val 17M

Miles 8M

 

which option gives us more caproom  ?

Uh, the Grizz doesn't get anything for JMG and GT salary coming off the books?  So wouldn't that be about 38M coming off? Why would the Grizz have to account for Bradley' 13M, I thought they only had to account for 2M of it and LAC the other 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Uh, the Grizz doesn't get anything for JMG and GT salary coming off the books?  So wouldn't that be about 38M coming off? Why would the Grizz have to account for Bradley' 13M, I thought they only had to account for 2M of it and LAC the other 11.

Correct I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Correct I think. 

we are on the hook for the full 13M if we keep bradley

we can waive him and it cost us 2M

 

we saved money this year  , clips saved money next year.

we help the awful clips  shed 2m in salary next year to make a run at two max free agents  and got bradley who stunk it up all year and got nothing for freeing them up 2m in capspace .

 

the clips wouldnt send us bradley and pay 11m next year when they could just waive him and pay the 2m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

we are on the hook for the full 13M if we keep bradley

we can waive him and it cost us 2M

 

we saved money this year  , clips saved money next year.

we help the awful clips  shed 2m in salary next year to make a run at two max free agents  and got bradley who stunk it up all year and got nothing for freeing them up 2m in capspace .

 

the clips wouldnt send us bradley and pay 11m next year when they could just waive him and pay the 2m

What we got was enough room to make the Gasol deal and keep us out of the tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

What we got was enough room to make the Gasol deal and keep us out of the tax.

Shhh...don’t tell him that. I love the righteous indignation that does not coincide with the facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Toronto msg boards are saying they will be starting Gasol, and they think he is the final piece to get them over the hump. I am still irritated that we got (imo) virtually nothing for him. but hey, thats just me. I hope the big fella gets the rings he deserves and our terrible FO gets fired after this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Another thing to keep in mind is Gasol's trade kicker.   He waived it to go to Toronto - who knows if he would have for Charlotte. 

The more that comes out about this trade, the more logical it becomes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

So the Toronto msg boards are saying they will be starting Gasol, and they think he is the final piece to get them over the hump. I am still irritated that we got (imo) virtually nothing for him. but hey, thats just me. I hope the big fella gets the rings he deserves and our terrible FO gets fired after this year. 

I still don't understand what the fans thought Gasol would return.  None of the revealed deals were better than what we got.   Do ya'll think the NBA scouts and GM's simply ignored how bad Gasol had been playing majority of this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I still don't understand what the fans thought Gasol would return.  None of the revealed deals were better than what we got.   Do ya'll think the NBA scouts and GM's simply ignored how bad Gasol had been playing majority of this season?

They were all better than what we got because each hypothetical netted us at least one future/long term asset: a young prospect with multiple years of control or a 1st rounder. This did neither. 

The FO sacrificed the future to patch together a team that they “hope” can convey the pick to Boston. In turn, they are punting and telling us we are going to be awful for the next TWO years and get high picks. 

The right path would have been trading for future assets, tanking and getting a top 6 pick, doing the same next year and then playing to win after that. You’d have JJJ plus whatever assets you got from trades AND TWO more lottery picks. 

Instead, we will go into next year with JJJ as our only long term asset and looking to tank for two years. We MAY be competitive for a year or two before JJJ leaves. 

Thats what y’all dont understand, it sounds great to want to convey the pick this year, but it’s essentially waiving the white flag for the next 3 years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

They were all better than what we got because each hypothetical netted us at least one future/long term asset: a young prospect with multiple years of control or a 1st rounder. This did neither. 

The FO sacrificed the future to patch together a team that they “hope” can convey the pick to Boston. In turn, they are punting and telling us we are going to be awful for the next TWO years and get high picks. 

The right path would have been trading for future assets, tanking and getting a top 6 pick, doing the same next year and then playing to win after that. You’d have JJJ plus whatever assets you got from trades AND TWO more lottery picks. 

Instead, we will go into next year with JJJ as our only long term asset and looking to tank for two years. We MAY be competitive for a year or two before JJJ leaves. 

Thats what y’all dont understand, it sounds great to want to convey the pick this year, but it’s essentially waiving the white flag for the next 3 years 

Convey THEN tear it down.

SMH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

They were all better than what we got because each hypothetical netted us at least one future/long term asset: a young prospect with multiple years of control or a 1st rounder. This did neither. 

The FO sacrificed the future to patch together a team that they “hope” can convey the pick to Boston. In turn, they are punting and telling us we are going to be awful for the next TWO years and get high picks. 

The right path would have been trading for future assets, tanking and getting a top 6 pick, doing the same next year and then playing to win after that. You’d have JJJ plus whatever assets you got from trades AND TWO more lottery picks. 

Instead, we will go into next year with JJJ as our only long term asset and looking to tank for two years. We MAY be competitive for a year or two before JJJ leaves. 

Thats what y’all dont understand, it sounds great to want to convey the pick this year, but it’s essentially waiving the white flag for the next 3 years 

Yes what we hypothetically wanted was better than the return.    But who was offering us that?    CHA was offering us Marvin/Biz + Lottery protected First and DET was offering to swap Gasol for Drummond.     What future did FO sacrifice??  Delon and Jonas alone are miles better than those offers. 

We still have Dillon, Dorsey, Rabb, and SloMo that all fit Jaren's window.    JonasV, Delon, and Avery are not so old that they can't be good players for the next 3-4 yrs too.    

The players we have now are better than the players we loss.   Its so strange to me that this same fanbase that want to fire the FO for acquiring such a poor roster.  Think the major players from that roster were valuable in trade market.    

Have you all seen the guys on the buyout market?   They are way better than JaM, Mack, and Temple.    Wayne Ellington, Greg Monroe,  Marcin Gortat, Michael Beasley, Frank Kaminsky, Enes Kanter, RObin Lopez, Markieff Morris..... 

Teams knew majority of those guys would be available so why give up any real assets for JaMychal Green or Garrett Temple???

It takes two to tango - can't trade for something that isnt there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Convey THEN tear it down.

SMH

Hope you are a patient man. That’s what they are doing and they are telling you point blank, we are about to be awful for the next two years at least. JJJ’s second and third years in the league. 4th as well unless you believe Memphis can land a huge superstar. Because nobody on this roster who will be here in 2021 moves the needle, outside of JJJ, not one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Hope you are a patient man. That’s what they are doing and they are telling you point blank, we are about to be awful for the next two years at least. JJJ’s second and third years in the league. 4th as well unless you believe Memphis can land a huge superstar. Because nobody on this roster who will be here in 2021 moves the needle, outside of JJJ, not one. 

Hopefully they don't overpay for Holiday (if he re-signs), and they can move some of these expirings next year for interesting assets (Jonas/Miles/Bradley) AND get a decent return on Conley.

Agree on the bold too - I'm not particularly excited over Kyle Anderson or Dillon either. Think they are both nice complimentary pieces off a real NBA team's bench, but not starters - afraid the front office views them as starters though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yes what we hypothetically wanted was better than the return.    But who was offering us that?    CHA was offering us Marvin/Biz + Lottery protected First and DET was offering to swap Gasol for Drummond.     What future did FO sacrifice??  Delon and Jonas alone are miles better than those offers. 

We still have Dillon, Dorsey, Rabb, and SloMo that all fit Jaren's window.    JonasV, Delon, and Avery are not so old that they can't be good players for the next 3-4 yrs too.    

The players we have now are better than the players we loss.   Its so strange to me that this same fanbase that want to fire the FO for acquiring such a poor roster.  Think the major players from that roster were valuable in trade market.    

Have you all seen the guys on the buyout market?   They are way better than JaM, Mack, and Temple.    Wayne Ellington, Greg Monroe,  Marcin Gortat, Michael Beasley, Frank Kaminsky, Enes Kanter, RObin Lopez, Markieff Morris..... 

Teams knew majority of those guys would be available so why give up any real assets for JaMychal Green or Garrett Temple???

It takes two to tango - can't trade for something that isnt there. 

Bill Russell was 35 when he retired after winning his 11th NBA Championship. His team won the State Tournament in his last 2 years, his team won the NCAA tournament the last 2 years and the Celtics won the NBA Championship the 1st 2 years he played. In 1969 he led the Celtics over the Lakers who had Chamberlain, West and Baylor. 

And now people are saying most centers are done when they reach 32. I think maybe JV can play till he is 32 or 33.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Bill Russell was 35 when he retired after winning his 11th NBA Championship. His team won the State Tournament in his last 2 years, his team won the NCAA tournament the last 2 years and the Celtics won the NBA Championship the 1st 2 years he played. In 1969 he led the Celtics over the Lakers who had Chamberlain, West and Baylor. 

And now people are saying most centers are done when they reach 32. I think maybe JV can play till he is 32 or 33.

I believe he can too.   I just hope his presence doesn't cause us to go back to a slower pace.    That's what i love about Noah - he doesn't mind running.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

What we got was enough room to make the Gasol deal and keep us out of the tax.

yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now