Ole Dirty Klondike

Various Trade Analyses: Not good

35 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Just look at it this way, if JV doesn't resign with the Grizz they will have 83+M coming off the books, you can buy a slew of 2s then plus pay 3 guys around 20M a piece to go with 3J. I don't think I would have given a 1 for Gasol even without what had occured and teams have people looking all the time, especially if they are interested in a player.

Look, obviously I can’t tell what would have happened if we had started testing the waters in December (let alone earlier) when it was clear the season was done or if we hadn’t broadcasted the fire sale. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think this is the absolute best we could do, so be it.

I somehow can’t picture Masai Ujiri watching Marc getting an ovation and the subsequent failed Charlotte trade and then thinking “Aw shucks, poor guys, I better give them the fairest return for Gasol, they deserve a break.”

Does CJ Miles just need a change of scenery or is he just about washed up?

We could use an extra 3 point shooter and scorer especially on the wing.

If he can produce he would be an ideal 6th man for us the rest of the year.

Although I am pretty much only counting on JV/Delon and I think Avery Bradley (part of another trade) can contribute too.

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Although I am pretty much only counting on JV/Delon and I think Avery Bradley (part of another trade) can contribute too.

I would say that CJ is pretty much washed up. All he had to do in Toronto was stand at the three and shoot it up after a bunch of high quality scorers got all the defensive attention. He was terrible. Grizzlies does not have that firepower on offense to create as many open looks for him, so I highly doubt his shooting will jump up. He's pretty bad defensively as well, so if he's not hitting threes, he's just a huge net negative to the team. I really wouldn't expect him to contribute positively, while Jonas and Delon definitely should.

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

31 years old, supposedly been battling a nagging injury all year and was playing better of late after a slow start - not sure I'd depend on him much though.

14 minutes ago, Backseatboss said:

I would say that CJ is pretty much washed up. All he had to do in Toronto was stand at the three and shoot it up after a bunch of high quality scorers got all the defensive attention. He was terrible. 

Terrible outside shooting for most teams is par for the course in Memphis.  

Memphis "average" will be enough for me.

Bruno/Holiday/Slo Mo when he comes back looks like our wing rotation anyway.

37 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Look, obviously I can’t tell what would have happened if we had started testing the waters in December (let alone earlier) when it was clear the season was done or if we hadn’t broadcasted the fire sale. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think this is the absolute best we could do, so be it.

I somehow can’t picture Masai Ujiri watching Marc getting an ovation and the subsequent failed Charlotte trade and then thinking “Aw shucks, poor guys, I better give them the fairest return for Gasol, they deserve a break.”

late picks are useless if you ask these boards and our FO .  i mean in no way shape or form could you build one the  best  teams in the nba with non lotto picks and a new gm and coach that has a clue NO WAY COULD YOU START A REBUILD WITH A TOP 8 PICK AND TWO 1ST FROM HOU AND CHA  !   it's all about caproom !

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Can't argue with you here.    But CHA offer wasn't good anyway that's the one thing that keeps me from being too upset. 

Dang right man 100% agree.   On the down side though, you put yourself in such a weak position to bargain when that mess happens :(  I hope they clean up this leak problem.

maybe talk with cha again  when kemba is closer to walking  . bradley for williams  and monk / bacon/ or whatever 😂

18 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

late picks are useless if you ask these boards and our FO .  i mean in no way shape or form could you build one the  best  teams in the nba with non lotto picks and a new gm and coach that has a clue NO WAY COULD YOU START A REBUILD WITH A TOP 8 PICK AND TWO 1ST FROM HOU AND CHA  !   it's all about caproom !

Yep.

It's all a crap shoot, but I'd sure like to have seen a draft of Cam Reddish, DeAndre Hunter and Jaxson Hayes.

For example.

Put them around Jaren for 2-3 years, see where you are.

28 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Yep.

It's all a crap shoot, but I'd sure like to have seen a draft of Cam Reddish, DeAndre Hunter and Jaxson Hayes.

For example.

Put them around Jaren for 2-3 years, see where you are.

Oh yeah.  But, some teams are treating mid/late first rounders like gold this year.  I don't think we were gonna get 15/20 from Charlotte and Utah.

If we end up keeping our pick I wouldn't mind trading down and getting TWO assets insead of 1.  5 thru 15 or so are basically Tier 2/high Tier 3 guys anyway.  

If we had TWO picks we could go after Tre Jones to be our point guard of the future then roll the dice on more of an "upside" guy (maybe a wing player).

8 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Oh yeah.  But, some teams are treating mid/late first rounders like gold this year.  I don't think we were gonna get 15/20 from Charlotte and Utah.

If we end up keeping our pick I wouldn't mind trading down and getting TWO assets insead of 1.  5 thru 15 or so are basically Tier 2/high Tier 3 guys anyway.  

If we had TWO picks we could go after Tre Jones to be our point guard of the future then roll the dice on more of an "upside" guy (maybe a wing player).

cha pick is 15th right now and hou is 21st , we already have a lotto pick that looks solid we are a step ahead in a rebuild imo . if its me i want picks , whoever is calling the shots drafting has been doing great and i'd give them another shot  because our free agents, trades , and everything else has been mostly garbage .  the gasol deal had way more drama than needed which  may have hurt our return .

So they really plan to give the pick this year...

MC/Carter/Dorsey

Holiday/Bradley/Delon

SlowMo/Miles/Yuta

JJJ/Caboclo

JV/Rabb/Noah

This team wont win much games, we better hope for some lucky on draft night I see us around 6-8 pick in lottery, and I hope we go up to top 3 because there is more than enought talent for us there.

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If you want to look at something, look at their 1st round picks. Franklin, Adams, Baldwin, Selby, Wroten, wasn't all those guys 1st round picks, where are they? 

Actually only Adams(22nd), Baldwin(17th), and Wroten(25th) were first round picks.  Franklin(41st) and Selby(49th) were second round picks.  It isn't that unusual for late firsts and second round picks to not make it to their second contract, but it is sort of odd that no one in that group did.  All misses.

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

Actually only Adams(22nd), Baldwin(17th), and Wroten(25th) were first round picks.  Franklin(41st) and Selby(49th) were second round picks.  It isn't that unusual for late firsts and second round picks to not make it to their second contract, but it is sort of odd that no one in that group did.  All misses.

look at mil,  one lotto pick . Brook Lopez ,

Tor 0 lotto picks , 

4 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

look at mil,  one lotto pick . Brook Lopez ,

Tor 0 lotto picks , 

I'm still reading this thread but I am not connecting here.  Did I miss something?

35 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i think we have a better 2nd half than 1st half 

Schedule seems to line up that way. We had a BRUTAL Dec/January schedule.  It does lighten up a bit and some of the teams have thrown the towel in 100% that are around where we are. 

5 hours ago, cdp said:

Wow if that was really Charlottes final offer of Biyombo/Williams/pick then we came out with a better deal now. That draft pick would've given us options like Jaxson Hayes, Kevin Porter, Deandre Hunter, Bol Bol and maaaybe an outside chance at Garland. Not really worth taking on that much salary plus Biyombo and Marvin, who are bench players at best at this point. Atleast JV could potentially be a starter for the next year.

I feel alot better about no pick after hearing that.

Yeah Hornets never had Miles or Monk on the table. They kept trying to shove Batum Williams Kaminsky on to us. Ultimately they settled on Biz and Williams and Kaminsky with their pick protected to 20. MKG was a possible sweetener but all those offers were garbage.

The Hornets fans are mostly all posting delusional ideas like this, and now saying Kemba won't leave because he loves Charlotte. LOL good luck with that, they got no capspace to offer him a big contract. Teams are not going to take that garbage they are offering. And if Kyrie doesn't go to the Knicks, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a big push to get Kemba or a renewed push to get Mike.

A very few suggested trading Kemba and trying to get a big haul for him and go with Monk and Miles for the future. Trouble is they waited a year too long to do it, now that he is an expiring. 

Kinda similar to us in many ways, that's why I found it interesting to get the perspective from the other side.

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Yeah Hornets never had Miles or Monk on the table. They kept trying to shove Batum Williams Kaminsky on to us. Ultimately they settled on Biz and Williams and Kaminsky with their pick protected to 20. MKG was a possible sweetener but all those offers were garbage.

The Hornets fans are mostly all posting delusional ideas like this, and now saying Kemba won't leave because he loves Charlotte. LOL good luck with that, they got no capspace to offer him a big contract. Teams are not going to take that garbage they are offering. And if Kyrie doesn't go to the Knicks, you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a big push to get Kemba or a renewed push to get Mike

Did the Hornets make any deals before the deadline?

2 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

maybe talk with cha again  when kemba is closer to walking  . bradley for williams  and monk / bacon/ or whatever 😂

Nah it's too late now, we got no need or fit for Biz, Williams, Batum or Zeller

I'm looking at the free agent lists for next year. With all the big action to happen on Kyrie, KD, Kemba, Kawhi, Thompson, Middleton, Randle, Vucevic, maybe Butler, maybe Cousins, maybe DRose, factor in AD, there's going to be a lot of mid range pieces floating around that will be good.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agent-2019-2020-team-team-lists

What is our cap space position if Holiday walks, JV, Miles stay, Bradley is waived, and others accounted for?  $15-20mil?

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Did the Hornets make any deals before the deadline?

Yeah they traded for STAND, Pat.

They got big problems, Cupchak may be a good GM but he's got his work cut out for him now.

When i started this, I planned on posting different draft grades but then realized time was flying and i had to leave for work. Anyway, here's SI's grade:

GRIZZLIES: D-

For a team that was publicly ready to tear things down, dangled its two best players and seemed to pop up in trade rumors every few hours for the last couple days, the Grizzlies came away with remarkably little to improve their future outlook. They moved Marc Gasol to Toronto for a grab bag, sent the expiring deals of JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple out for Avery Bradley (who they’ll owe a small guarantee to waive going into the summer), and were left holding the bag with Mike Conley. None of it was especially shrewd, and nothing of serious consequence for the team’s future came out of it.

You could argue that the Grizzlies would have been better off holding onto Gasol and letting him walk, rather than pay Jonas Valanciunas and C.J. Miles, who are likely to pick up player options for next season worth $25 million in total. Having cap flexibility might be more valuable than two guys who will not make them incrementally better. Maybe Valanciunas figures into the long-term plans, but even then, it’s not a great return. The second-rounder they’re getting is far off in the future. Delon Wright, who is the most promising piece of the trade, would have been an attainable restricted free agent this summer, particularly as the Raptors face the possibility of maxing Kawhi Leonard, getting more expensive on the whole and potentially paying the repeater penalty as a luxury tax team. 

Gasol’s trade value had decreased to the point where standing pat should have been a more viable option—particularly if Memphis’ short-term aim is to be just good enough that their first-rounder owed to Boston (which is top-eight protected) conveys this year, in a thin draft, before it inevitably bottom out going forward. Whether that’s important enough to still hang onto Conley and toe that line in the standings is worth questioning. There will be a market for their star guard again in June, but there’s not much indication that the Grizzlies have an actual plan here. Regardless of what offers they had for Gasol and Conley, their decision-making feels like haphazard patchwork.

Apparently he's been reading the Grizz boards 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

CHA final offer was BIz/MKG/ Lotto protected pick

I'm hearing it was protected to 20, with the protections scaling up each successive year until it converts to a 2nd.

There were rumours late about MKG but again I don't know that's confirmed, they were still pushing Kaminsky and Williams. They weren't ready to give up on a number 2 pick just yet.

Anyway, it was a good pass for us on those choices

9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

When i started this, I planned on posting different draft grades but then realized time was flying and i had to leave for work. Anyway, here's SI's grade:

Apparently he's been reading the Grizz boards 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

They can grade it as bad as they want, the reality is there was no market for Marc.

And if you wanna believe Marc would have opted out, go ahead. Given everything he's said about his feelings, the shortest priced bet would be that he opted in. 

And we weren't good enough to convey the pick standing pat. We were something like 6-30. Do you think that record was intentional? And Mike and Marc werent injured missing a dozen or more games during this.