Ole Dirty Klondike

Various Trade Analyses: Not good

22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's worse than i thought.   He also said the buyout market killed Temple and JaM value too.   Any trade for them individually would've required going into lux tax.    BKN offered pick + Allen Crabbe for them.   Yuck.   Monk and Bridges were never on the table.    We wouldn't have been able to keep Bruno under those conditions.   

Delon>>>Marvin Williams - I'm not sure about that. I hope you are correct

JonasV >>> Biz - No doubt! But they are both dinosaur type centers in today's game

Avery >> Crabbe - I don't know about that

Picks are nice on paper but are non-lottery in a weak draft.  - Agreed. I was hoping for future #1s

Just now, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Philly hasn't been playing so hot after that trade, have they?

they probably the the 2nd best starting 5 in the nba😂😂

No, if you had been screaming before perhaps they wouldn't have done the Holiday trade? It's all YOUR FAULT. :)

i was and have been for years read my old post about letting guys walk for nothing and trading every asset for a bunch of bench guys instead of talking nonsense lol.

10 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i was and have been for years read my old post about letting guys walk for nothing and trading every asset for a bunch of bench guys instead of talking nonsense lol.

You think garbage players are better than getting money off the books?

32 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I wouldn't be so sure 3J wants out, he's going to be the man in Memphis, he might be just another player somewhere else. 

SMH

You think garbage players are better than getting money off the books?

sometimes  but i do know i'd rather have had 4 2nds  at the deadline instead of holiday and watching tyreke walk 

2 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If you want to look at something, look at their 1st round picks. Franklin, Adams, Baldwin, Selby, Wroten, wasn't all those guys 1st round picks? 

yes , and ? we suck at draft and  developing and aint got the balls to to go for a blockbusterr move instead of sending out every asset / spending $ on bit players when we have needed a big time shot creater for a decade ?

3 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

yes , and ?

Well it looks like to me they should've been able to draft a trade able asset with those selection but they didn't. So what makes you think they could package a 2 with someone they have and get better? The Grizz selected Baldwin before the Bucks selected Brogdon, he is still with the Bucks but Baldwin got cut. 

Well it looks like to me they should've been able to draft a trade able asset with those selection but they didn't. So what makes you think they could package a 2 with someone they have and get better? The Grizz selected Baldwin before the Bucks selected Brogdon, he is still with the Bucks but Baldwin got cut. 

i dont think we can , i think a decent FO can , one that isn't doing the same moves every year and can look down the road a little .

Does the Grizz scout players or just watch them on highlight reels?

i think we pick from a hat .  hopefully  things have turned around but at some point you gotta hit on late picks and / or be ok with getting role players instead of looking at every rookie as the next TA / ZBO or whatever ..  a lot of this coaching imo , sometimes you gotta use these "scrubs"  at let them do a few things they are good at instead of trying to fit them iinto what the team "needs" .

Well it looks like the Grizz messed up when they got rid of Harrison and kept Mack. I like big guards.

this we can agree on !

Not getting a 1st round pick was horrible.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

People also are truly underestimating the fact that Gasol needed to go.   He is playing Jaren's natural position and he handcuffed us to a playstyle that doesn't fit the rest of the roster.      We saw last season what Marc looks like on a bad team.   Does anyone think his value would've jumped this summer?    

Smartest move was they didn't trade Conley for peanuts.   That actually showed there is a method to their madness.    They removed  JB's main crutches JaM, Marc, Temple, and Mac.     Who knows we may actually see better coaching from JB by default because he doesn't have them around. 

I liked the trades.  Smart Moneyball trades.  The Raptors traded for the "name" guy but that name guy is slow, moody, and, uhh, slow.  Now they have two bigs in Marc and Ibaka that would rather shoot jumpers with BOTH wanting to play the 5.  The Raps also lost some depth with Delon Wright.  

We WON the other night without Marc.  Last night we gave the Thunder a run for their money (at least until halftime) with the ALT GRIND All Stars B Team.  

JV makes more sense next to Jaren if we want to go big.  If we go small, obviously we go with Jaren and Rabb.  Or, we go REALLY small with JJJ at the 5 and Bruno at the 4.  

I like our side of the deal.  Just by getting rid of Marc we have a chance at getting some better chemistry and freeing up minutes for our promising front line guys.

The Raptors didn't get a huge X factor (unless they tweak the offense to appease Big Spain) and may have messed with their chemistry and depth.

I bet the FO doesn't know if it wants to keep the pick this year or not.

Top 3 would obviously be great.  Might be better than next year's top 3.  

6-8 this season might even be better than 6-8 next year.  Might depend on who declares for the draft and who leaves.

Hopefully we look ahead to this draft along with the next 2 or 3 drafts to keep an eye on people just like high level college coaches (Coach K, Coach Cal, now Penny) do.  

The guys in THIS YEAR's draft have better highlights against COLLEGE PLAYERS than next year's guys have against high school scrubs (Wiseman dunking on 6'4 guards doesn't do it for me).

At this point I would work on my big board (if I were running the draft room), then consider trading down if we wind up at 6.  So, if we have the 6th pick and Atlanta is at something like 9 (their own pick) and 12 (the Mavs pick) I think I would much rather have 9 and 12.  I might even trade a pick at 6-8 for Bostons' picks (their own plus the Kings pick) especially if they throw in a couple of 2nd rounders or give us more protection on our owed pick (I would like a 2nd round pick this year or next for a draft/stash player plus a 2021 second rounder since that draft should have some "depth" at the very least).

The Bucks won the deadline in my opinion getting Nikola Mirotic who is a scorer and volume 3 point sniper.  

I think we did well too -- moving a bunch of moody, semi-washed up dead wood.

I believed Chris Wallace should have been fired prior to initiating this rebuild. However,  I'm cool with what we got back yesterday. I'll continue to not care about what people who know nothing about this team think.

35 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Does the Grizz scout players or just watch them on highlight reels?

I didn't see CW at the Wiseman/Dandridge vs. Mobley Bros. (Evan and Isaiah) match-up in West Memphis several weeks ago....

I bet they are sticking to highlights....

MY opinion: Evan Mobley was the best player on the floor, I really like Dandridge's motor and "throwback power forward" skill set.  Wiseman looks good in space and against smaller players but he is kinda too finesse (without an elite motor) with some Strotential there.  Wiseman is the LAST piece of the puzzle -- not the first.  Oh, East has bad guard play (East also lost to White Station) so Wiseman's development may have stalled.  If we get him cool, but he is not worth wasting an entire season on.  Zion (and probably) RJ is a dude to tank for, I don't see anyone in 2020 worth tanking for.

This draft is interesting.  Not even sure what positions these guys should play: Zion looks like a cross between Charles Barkley and Elgin Baylor although maybe you put him in at the 5 as a "small ball center" a la Wes Unseld.  

RJ Barrett: best point guard in the draft?  Not efficient enough or a knock down shooter to play off the ball.  Put him on the ball and hope he has AT LEAST a tiny bit of Big O, Walt Frazier, Magic, etc., in him.

Ja Morant: cross between Air Jordan and White Chocolate with shades of Rajon Rondo and a hint of Snap Hunter.  Yeah, try to figure THAT out.  He is short but maybe you put him at the 2 where you maximize his explosiveness, scoring, and ability to get to the rim and the line.  You can also take advantage of his passing, although he might not necessarily be the best floor general in the draft.

Tre Jones: Tier 1 ceiling with a Tier 3 floor.

Wings: Looking a lot of these guys up, it's weird... a lot of these guys can't hit the 3, too many can't even hit free throws at a high rate, and some aren't great rebounders for their position either.  You can probably put 10 to 20 wings in a similar range -- guys with Tier 2 upside but Tier 2/high Tier 3 downside.  So, low(ish) ceilings with average floors/baselines.  

You also have some Boom/Bust bigs in this thing like Bol Bol, Moses Brown (a guy I like who might not even declare for the draft), Jaxson Hayes, Bruno Fernando, Naz Reid, Charles Bassey, and Daniel Gafford.  

UT's Grant and the Admiral MIGHT be two of the top value/Moneyball picks in this draft.  I think Grant Williams could move into the top 5 when all is said and done.

Coming up next: Evan Mobley looks like a guy worth tanking for.  Same with Terrence Clarke.  Greg Brown III looks like the next Dominique Wilkins.  Greek Freak's youngest bro (Alex) is out there, too.

We gave up 2 players and two 2nd round picks for a half year rental on Holiday, and only gained one 2nd round pick while losing Gasol, Jam, Temple, Mack and Casspi. That's the math that I see.

Just now, Father Pat said:

We gave up 2 players and two 2nd round picks for a half year rental on Holiday, and only gained one 2nd round pick while losing Gasol, Jam, Temple, Mack and Casspi. That's the math that I see.

yuppers