Sign in to follow this  
KyleB

New depth chart speculation thread

So the trades stunk, that's pretty well covered in the other threads. Now that we have an idea what the roster could look like for the rest of the season, lets discuss what the new depth chart and rotations could be.

Who is the backup power forward now?

Who is the backup pg?

Who starts at the 2?

With at least 3 similarly sized combo guards on the roster now, who plays beside Mike and who backs him up?

Does JV or Noah start at the 5?

Do Carter and Wantanabe go back to the G league now that we appear to have a glut of guards and wings?

Conley/ Wright/ Carter

Bradley/ Holiday/ Dorsey

Anderson/Miles/ Yuta

Jackson Jr/ Rabb

Valanciunas/ Noah

I would start Conley, Holiday, CJ Miles (until Kyle Anderson comes back) with Jaren and JV inside.  Wright, Bradley/Yuta, Bruno, Rabb, and Noah off the bench.

When Slo Mo comes back, he might start then again maybe he is the 6th man. You might even go with Bruno at the 3.  Dillon's job when he gets back next year.  CJ/Slo Mo and Rabb (plus Delon/Jevon) anchor the bench in 2020.

It doesn’t matter really 

Casspi might not be Jordan or Dr. J. but he gave it 100% every time he stepped out there.

This concludes the Casspi appreciation thread.  You're welcome in advance.

Conley, Bradley, Andersen, Jackson Jr., Rabb

Why start Val? 

Who are our guaranteed contracts for next year?

3 hours ago, WVgrizz said:

Conley/ Wright/ Carter

Bradley/ Holiday/ Dorsey

Anderson/Miles/ Yuta

Jackson Jr/ Rabb

Valanciunas/ Noah

This one...Bradley is interesting but scary as a starter.

We can’t score, but they can’t either?

19 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Conley, Bradley, Andersen, Jackson Jr., Rabb

Why start Val? 

Who are our guaranteed contracts for next year?

Conley + Holiday + Anderson + Rabb + Jackson.      Use the rest of this season to take a good look at Dorsey and Delon (who can play the 2) and remember that we still have Dillon. 

Bradley should be viewed as a tradeable contract this summer.  

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Conley + Holiday + Anderson + Rabb + Jackson.      Use the rest of this season to take a good look at Dorsey and Delon (who can play the 2) and remember that we still have Dillon. 

Bradley should be viewed as a tradeable contract this summer.  

Not saying that I disagree with your assessment of Bradley or our situation, but I still think he will start

26 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Not saying that I disagree with your assessment of Bradley or our situation, but I still think he will start

Because JB is still the coach its hard to argue with you. 

PG: Mike/Delon/Jevon 

SG: Holiday/Avery

SF: Kyle/CJ Miles

PF: Rabb/ Bruno

C : Jaren/Jonas/Noah

We will play better once Washburn doesn't have to get minutes and Delon replaces Jevon.      We need guys on perimeter that can do more than dribble twice before having to pass it.  

In the off season i would target Tyus Jones because we need a true PG for the backup unit that is young enough to grow with Jaren.    

Not seeing where Jevon fits in the future.   If he was 6'4 then maybe but a non-shooting non-passing defensive minded PG isn't useful for our team. 

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

PG: Mike/Delon/Jevon 

SG: Holiday/Avery

SF: Kyle/CJ Miles

PF: Rabb/ Bruno

C : Jaren/Jonas/Noah

We will play better once Washburn doesn't have to get minutes and Delon replaces Jevon.      We need guys on perimeter that can do more than dribble twice before having to pass it.  

In the off season i would target Tyus Jones because we need a true PG for the backup unit that is young enough to grow with Jaren.    

Not seeing where Jevon fits in the future.   If he was 6'4 then maybe but a non-shooting non-passing defensive minded PG isn't useful for our team. 

You aren't very patient.  Should I start calling you Dave GTF Joerger?  I can live with a third PG who is not a great shooter if he plays elite defense and doesn't turn it over, and I think there is potential for that from Jevon.  Before tonight's game Carter was outshooting Caboclo from 3 and only 1% less overall.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You aren't very patient.  Should I start calling you Dave GTF Joerger?  I can live with a third PG who is not a great shooter if he plays elite defense and doesn't turn it over, and I think there is potential for that from Jevon.  Before tonight's game Carter was outshooting Caboclo from 3 and only 1% less overall.

He isn't young tho and our team needs floor generals.  3rd PG doesn't typically stay long with team.   Isn't his deal up after next year? 

When i say i don't see how he fits in the future i am saying he prob won't make it to second contract. 

Tyus Jones is more of a true PG a year younger and more experienced.   Should use some of our capspace next season to sneak him away from Minnesota.  

I am really curious to see what type of PG Delon is or would it be better converting him to SG.  

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He isn't young tho and our team needs floor generals.  3rd PG doesn't typically stay long with team.   Isn't his deal up after next year? 

When i say i don't see how he fits in the future i am saying he prob won't make it to second contract. 

Tyus Jones is more of a true PG a year younger and more experienced.   Should use some of our capspace next season to sneak him away from Minnesota.  

I am really curious to see what type of PG Delon is or would it be better converting him to SG.  

Isn't young?!!  He's 23.  I guess that isn't on Jaren's timeline either.  Don't look now but old man Rabb is only two years away from Carter for drawing social security.

He might not make it to the second contract, but it's way too early to tell.  I was hearing that Rabb was a scrub just two weeks ago.

Pssst Delon is way older than Carter.

4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Isn't young?!!  He's 23.  I guess that isn't on Jaren's timeline either.  Don't look now but old man Rabb is only two years away from Carter for drawing social security.

He might not make it to the second contract, but it's way too early to tell.  I was hearing that Rabb was a scrub just two weeks ago.

Pssst Delon is way older than Carter.

23 is old to try to develop actual courtvision and awareness.   He isn't too old to become a better shooter but as a setup man - either you got it or don't.     He was mostly SG in college.    

He has the same problem Shelvin does.  They aren't quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble,not tall enough to shoot over, so can only really rely on jumpshot.  

Its like asking Rabb to become a rim-protecting, perimeter defending Big.   He just doesn't have the tools.  

Delon doesn't have the same limitations physically as Jevon and played PG since college.    I am just curious if he can really run an offense and make interior passes. 

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

23 is old to try to develop actual courtvision and awareness.   He isn't too old to become a better shooter but as a setup man - either you got it or don't.     He was mostly SG in college.    

He has the same problem Shelvin does.  They aren't quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble,not tall enough to shoot over, so can only really rely on jumpshot.  

Its like asking Rabb to become a rim-protecting, perimeter defending Big.   He just doesn't have the tools.  

Delon doesn't have the same limitations physically as Jevon and played PG since college.    I am just curious if he can really run an offense and make interior passes. 

...he says after Rabb led the team in blocks. :lol:

Seriously, I don't expect Rabb to be a big time rim protector, but he can be serviceable defensively.

Yes, Carter doesn't have the speed/athleticism to be able to beat his man consistently.  He will have to learn to be crafty.  It'll never make him a scorer, but his defensive ability may keep him in the league for a while.  If he can make an occasional crafty move for a bucket, hit his free throws, limit turnovers, and play good defense he could make it.  I'm willing to wait and see.

All defense lineup:

PG: Avery

SG: Delon

SF: Bruno

PF: Kyle

C : Jaren

dogged defenders and length at every position.    Jaren and Delon would be offensive focals with Kyle being primary playmaker. 

I was thinking what it would be like to have...for defensive purposes...and only in short stints:

PG. Jevon

SG. Avery

SF. Kyle

PF. Bruno

C.  Jaren 

Jevon & Avery can pester the hell out of the opposing teams backcourt and Kyle, Bruno and Jaren all have length.

This is the lineup you trot out there on a night we are getting blown out at home.  It could bring the crowd back into the game similar to what Jevon did against the Rockets once.

We have "depth", not sure how much is top-shelf depth, but we have an overloaded roster.

JV gives us what we need to support our two man core of Conley and Jaren (3 man core once Kyle Anderson gets back).

Rabb figures into the 3 big man rotation while Noah gets a demotion to classic/iconic 13th man role.

Conley now has a solid backup (hopefully) in Delon Wright.  With Jevon, if we can keep him cheap and if he gets better from 3 I would actually rather lock in a cheap third string point guard long-term than an overrated/overpaid backup point guard.  Use the MLE or the mini-MLE on a backup point guard who offers more scoring and quickness.  

I thought Julian Washburn was solid last night although he can't score.  Bruno is good but with Kyle out I am not sure who I start at the 3.  Maybe Washburn just so he can stick to one guy (the other team's best forward/wing), hustle, scrap, and compete on the backboards.  Conley and Jaren are our main two scorers anyway with JV and Holiday also contributing.

6th man spot is wide open:  Probably Avery Bradley.

2nd unit of my PATENTED 11 man rotation: a helter-skelter gonzo bench mob of Jevon Carter, Delon Wright, Bruno/Yuta, Rabb, and Noah.

Wait... that's 12 guys.  Umm, and maybe give CJ Miles some minutes to see if he can redeem himself, which would give you the PATENTED 12 1/2 man rotation.