3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

good work,

hopefully this message gets passed onto the coaching staff

i know i givee trades and FO a hard time , thats because i've seen us get these types of guys for years and not really get the most out of them . maybe its our FO bringing in guys hoping they improve flawed parts of their game , maybe its coaching  or both but i''m kinda of over watching us bring in older guys that have made careers doing 1 or 2 at elite levels and either wanting or needing them to improve when the already have the skills to shine .

Watching Jake Layman tear it up in Portland is a great example imo . He's a guy that has enough of a 3pt shot to hit them and is very very good at cutting and getting easy buckets , Stotts has used ( or someone ) has turned a 47th pick into a really nice player by finding him a role doing what he's great while not really needing him to him to do much else because he's young and developing and isn't that guy yet and portland figured that out.

34 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

i know i givee trades and FO a hard time , thats because i've seen us get these types of guys for years and not really get the most out of them . maybe its our FO bringing in guys hoping they improve flawed parts of their game , maybe its coaching  or both but i''m kinda of over watching us bring in older guys that have made careers doing 1 or 2 at elite levels and either wanting or needing them to improve when the already have the skills to shine .

Watching Jake Layman tear it up in Portland is a great example imo . He's a guy that has enough of a 3pt shot to hit them and is very very good at cutting and getting easy buckets , Stotts has used ( or someone ) has turned a 47th pick into a really nice player by finding him a role doing what he's great while not really needing him to him to do much else because he's young and developing and isn't that guy yet and portland figured that out.

Theres other examples one could cite - Brogdon, Jordan Clarkson

I thought that's why they brought in Hollinger, too look at these types of data - they are "advanced" data.

Some of the trades, I can see what they were doing in terms of fit and match e.g. Jeff Green, its just that they usually overpaid or overvalued their targets.

The draft choices have been different. Almost everyone between Conley and Jackson picks have been failures that even other teams haven't been able to find something in their data sets to utilize. So one has to question what data our FO were looking at in the first place when making the call to select them.

this doesn't  bring up miles but they are pointing out the same thing and how it effect Wright as well 

If we’ve learned one thing about Nick Nurse’s tenure as head coach it’s this: late in games, coaches like to give the ball to their best player.

All those who moaned about how Dwane Casey’s “give the ball to DeMar DeRozan and clear out” play calls, have seen Nurse do the same thing, but with Kawhi.

Now, there is nothing wrong with this inherently. Teams want to employ players who can break down opponents one-on-one — to create scoring opportunities. It’s why, generally in the NBA, the team who has the guy best at this, wins.

But Nurse has been as guilty as Casey was at lacking imagination at how he disguises those intentions. And while Kawhi is a better iso player than DeRozan was, he isn’t quite as dynamic a dribbler. He doesn’t blow by defenders in the half-court, forcing rotations and opening passing lanes. Nor is he as willing a passer as DeRozan has become.

The net result is that Kawhi is using a higher percentage of Clutch situations (five minutes or less, closer than five points) than DeRozan did last year: 43.5 to 41.5%, with an assist percentage that is barely a third of DeMar’s — 13.3% to 32.4 percent.

This has lead to the Raps posting a 2-5 record in games decided in OT or by five or less.

In effect, the case can be made that Nurse is relying too much on Kawhi all game long.

Leonard’s playing the most minutes per-game of his career. His usage rate is right at career high levels. Compared to DeRozan’s last season, Kawhi is playing more and using a fraction more of the Raps’ possessions. Again, inherently this isn’t a problem, except for the fact that Leonard’s Assist Rate is two-thirds of DeRozan’s.

It’s long been reported that the final piece of Leonard’s game to develop is his ability as a play-maker. I’d argue that’s contributed to the bench’s struggles. They’re on the court less (Lowry’s minutes are up too), and when they are on with Kawhi they all see the ball less.

If Nurse can use the same playbook he and Casey devised to turn DeRozan into an exceptional passer on Leonard, it might yield dividends for players like Delon Wright who thrive with more of the ball. In turn that could allow Nurse to rest his Big Two a little more, freeing up more minutes for the bench to get in rhythm — creating a virtuous cycle.

1 hour ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Great stuff you are posting IDG and i agree with you here.     
IMHO the FO has actually been pretty decent at acquiring guys with decent skillsets to help the team.   I fault the coaches for being to stubborn or strict in their gameplans to utilize what the new guys can do.     We always blame FO for not bringing in shooters when in reality they actually did.   Hollins, Joerger, and Fizdale rarely maximized the positives of the players they had.   Seemed like they always forced them to try to be something they weren't.      Chris Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Austin Daye, Seth Curryy,  and Troy Williams were all guys that could hit open 3s but were rarely put in the position to do it.    That is on the coaching staff not the FO.  

4 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

yup , i'm just saying going from Derozen to Leonard really hurt Miles getting those open looks so often . Playing next to Gasol would showcase Miles Elite skill . H'es a top Spot Up shooter in the nba .

this is Points Per Possession on spot up jumpers From Last year.

CJ Miles	1.34
Stephen Curry	1.33
Otto Porter Jr.	1.31
Kemba Walker	1.30
Kyle Lowry	1.28
Channing Frye	1.27
Pau Gasol	1.27
Kevin Durant	1.26

that's the miles we need !

He looked great in ind too , he had PG , Lance , Monta? who could all go iso and find the open man 

he can catch and shoot too but he's just a bit slow of screens , he can still hit em though cause he's pretty good at creating space with his body and simple pump fakes etc..  once he tries to create for him self and puts the ball on the floor in when his game starts falling apart . His Size also help get his shot off .

CJ Miles.png

he looked great in IND because he just shot it up as soon as he got the ball . 

j0evumrsegsz.png

you can also on stat.snba ( which combines catch and shoot and spot ups as far as i know that Milke 3p% takes a major hit while guys like Ingles Looks Elite . holiday is on this list too .

https://stats.nba.com/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3_PCT&dir=1&CF=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3A*G*4

but you can clearly see that he's not korver off the catch and shoot not many are .

want to keep diving into Miles game and see the player he is ? 

Lets take a look at his stats after 1 dribble from deep . 

https://stats.nba.com/player/101139/shots-dash/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season

from 36% to 31% , because that just not his game , its a big reasons he's looked mostly awful in TOR this year , he didn't get as many of those looks in TOR this year and it shows .

The Grizz really need to use him as a spot up guy once the D breaks down or Off Screens which is is still good at  but he's gotta be open enough to take a 3 or we will be stuck with a guy playing to his weaknesses because he's not much of a creator besides simple moves and clear lines to the hoop and he's kind of a black hole once he puts the ball on the floor .he's also not great at Pull up Jumpers.

I didn't really realize he was that good of a shooter, now I know why he is firing away when he comes into the game. Maybe this change of scenery is all that he needed. He hit that running 1 hander last night also.