On 2/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

No i do understand, my answers were directed towards NDQ's comments. 

none of these players are signed beyond this year either and they are better players.     The draft pick is the only complaint. 

Just stuff your compliant in your mouth and 1 day hopefully it will come out as gas. :)

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's how i see it too.  Especially if SloMo comes back.    Where do you slot him?  

50-50 with Holiday? You throw KA and AB out there, things could get mighty tough for an opposing team, and Holiday is no slouch at defense either. They got some players out there I would like to see them keep.

On 2/7/2019 at 2:03 PM, BnaBreaker said:

These deals make a little more sense when viewed as moves made by a team still trying to win as much as possible... but my question is, why the hell would that team be us??  And how the hell were we not able to get even ONE more pick from a playoff hungry Raptors?  You can't tell me they would've called the deal off if we had asked for their 2023 second rounder as well.  

They're trying to win as much as possible this year to convey the 9th or greater pick to Boston. Then trade Mike in the off-season to get picks back.  These are short and long term moves

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

They're trying to win as much as possible this year to convey the 9th or greater pick to Boston. Then trade Mike in the off-season to get picks back.  These are short and long term moves

Bingo!   Short and sweet that is the plan. 

6 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You got any money you want to lose? I blew what I got from Chip, looking for another sucker. ;)

Lose on what? That Dorsey will be out of the league in 3 years?

28 minutes ago, Allen said:

Lose on what? That Dorsey will be out of the league in 3 years?

No move we made today will have any effect on the teams future 

I will bet you that this team will have a better winning % from here on out for the rest of the season than the other team had.

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

Even if we wanted to go Full Tank we would have to end up with the 5th worst record to insure a top 8 pick.  And now we would be competing with some real tanktastic teams.

So, let's hold court at home and beat the teams that we are supposed to on the road and see what happens.  

Although we need to pick a course of action by March 1st.

I'm good with whatever.  

We are pretty much too far out of the playoff race (8 or 9 games back I think) so we still have a shot at Zion/RJ.  If this draft is top 3 heavy or top 5 heavy then I would rather move off a pick in the 6-8 range.  Although I don't like the mid/late lotto next year and 2021 might be top 3 deep too, we owe a pick at some point and it is what it is.  Picking up second rounders on the cheap for the next few years should be something worth pursuing. Draft/stash might be the way to go.  

Then I wouldn't move Conley unless we get a solid "young" veteran point guard back or a stud point guard in the draft.  

If we convey the pick AND move Conley then I want TWO late firsts (at least) and a young rotation guy.  Then I take a flyer on Tre Jones AND sign a solid point guard for a year or two with my MLE (Start MLE guy, Delon Wright is the backup with Tre as the third string point guard then send Jevon back to the G League).   

51 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

No move we made today will have any effect on the teams future 

I will bet you that this team will have a better winning % from here on out for the rest of the season than the other team had.

I mean if we win enough to get out of the bottom 8 you would be right 

18 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Even if we wanted to go Full Tank we would have to end up with the 5th worst record to insure a top 8 pick.  And now we would be competing with some real tanktastic teams.

So, let's hold court at home and beat the teams that we are supposed to on the road and see what happens.  

Although we need to pick a course of action by March 1st.

I'm good with whatever.  

We are pretty much too far out of the playoff race (8 or 9 games back I think) so we still have a shot at Zion/RJ.  If this draft is top 3 heavy or top 5 heavy then I would rather move off a pick in the 6-8 range.  Although I don't like the mid/late lotto next year and 2021 might be top 3 deep too, we owe a pick at some point and it is what it is.  Picking up second rounders on the cheap for the next few years should be something worth pursuing. Draft/stash might be the way to go.  

Then I wouldn't move Conley unless we get a solid "young" veteran point guard back or a stud point guard in the draft.  

If we convey the pick AND move Conley then I want TWO late firsts (at least) and a young rotation guy.  Then I take a flyer on Tre Jones AND sign a solid point guard for a year or two with my MLE (Start MLE guy, Delon Wright is the backup with Tre as the third string point guard then send Jevon back to the G League).   

I think you missed what i said,  we're not tryimg to go to full rebuild this year,  this year is the year to convey to boston

21 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

I think you missed what i said,  we're not tryimg to go to full rebuild this year,  this year is the year to convey to boston

i like it. convey or bust.

slim.

what will happen if we have another  shutdown before JV can get his paperwork handled ?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/grizzlies-jonas-valanciunas-held-out-of-practice/

didnt something like this happen before with us and tor with Haddidi ?

Now can everyone stop whining about not acquiring young players to build around Jaren?

We officially have Bruno which wasn't possible without the moves we made to free up roster spot and get under tax.    

That gives us   Jevon, Kyle, Jaren, Rabb, Tyler, Dillon, and Bruno that are all in the correct age range.    

Utah wasn't giving us Exum or Grayson (yuck).   Detroit wasn't giving us Kennard (meh).    Toronto wasn't giving us OG.   Charlotte wasn't giving us Monk or Bridges.     Only dudes we could've potentially gotten were Stanley Johnson or Dewayne Bacon.   Neither of whom are better prospects over Bruno and are his same age.  

Technically the Marc, Mack, Temple, and JaM trades netted us:    Avery, CJ, Delon, JonasV, Bruno, Tyler, and 2nd rd pick. 

Looks like an upgrade to me. 

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Now can everyone stop whining about not acquiring young players to build around Jaren?

We officially have Bruno which wasn't possible without the moves we made to free up roster spot and get under tax.    

That gives us   Jevon, Kyle, Jaren, Rabb, Tyler, Dillon, and Bruno that are all in the correct age range.    

Utah wasn't giving us Exum or Grayson (yuck).   Detroit wasn't giving us Kennard (meh).    Toronto wasn't giving us OG.   Charlotte wasn't giving us Monk or Bridges.     Only dudes we could've potentially gotten were Stanley Johnson or Dewayne Bacon.   Neither of whom are better prospects over Bruno and are his same age.  

Technically the Marc, Mack, Temple, and JaM trades netted us:    Avery, CJ, Delon, JonasV, Bruno, Tyler, and 2nd rd pick. 

I think the Grizz could take this team and make the POs next year as is.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, toocoolkellz said:

The new lotto odds are flatter and wilder.  So, we MIGHT get a top 3 pick.  We MIGHT fall out of the top 8 even if we DO try to tank.  We would need to be the 5th worst team in the league in order to assure us of keeping/not conveying our pick.  There are too many teams in tank mode right now, and we are already 8 or so games out of the playoff race so we aren't really in 100% control of our own destiny.

I can see us trading Conley on draft night IF we get the right package.  I would think we would at least get a solid 1st round pick back.  So we need to keep our eye on the draft either way.  This could be a year where some of the FO's "favorites" fall into the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

bringing in bruno is a big plus , Dorsey  even if he stays with the hustle showed some things last year with the hawks. i do think the gasol drama before the trade forced our hands in any deal  and i think if we had handled it better we could have got a slightly better return with the same two teams  ( tor had sent out 2nds with Monroe and Richardson  ).  same with with the brooks stuff  we ended up alright but its not a good look .

If we didn't have to convey a pick to Boston at some point, maybe that would change things.  Then I think you lean more towards getting two more guys to be part of a big 3/core 4 in 2019 and 2020 but that is out of our hands.

Good trades.  Great signing with Bruno.  Injuries have forced our hand too but I like what we are doing.  

Now, we can't force lineups, minutes, or matchups.  Go with the hot hand, go with a lineup that has good chemistry, and if we have to have an ALT GRIND patented 11 man rotation then that is fine, too.

The Playoffs are out: we are already at least 8 games back.

To 100% convey a pick we have to have the fifth worst record.

So, we are stuck in the middle.

Wouldn't mind trying to go at least .500 the rest of the way.  This draft might just be Zion Williamson and 15 consolation prizes anyway.  Let's roll the ping pong balls and see what happens.

This is a joke right? JJJ is the only player in that group with any value 

I know I am going to sound like Mr. Downer but I don't see Bruno, Dillon, Jevon, Kyle or even Ivan as care pieces to build around. They are at best backups or questionable starters. Neither Carter nor Bruno have shown the ability to consistently hit shots. Ivan has a long way to go with strength conditioning and Kyle was not someone GTF even wanted as a starter at the beginning of the season. He's a great all-around talent but is hardly someone I see as a core piece especially with his mysterious shoulder issues.  Dillon showed he could score late in the season on a bad team desperate for anyone to score but he's basically taken off this entire season and he plays at the wing where he will struggle to get minutes with Kyle, Aaron and Justin ahead of him. 

The Grizzlies youth movement has a decent beginning but there is a lot more true talent needing to be added. One starter and a bunch of backups isn't exactly a youth movement. 

2 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

This is a joke right? JJJ is the only player in that group with any value 

Not a joke.   Fanbase was collectively crying about not receiving young assets in those deals.    Fans overlooked the fact that none of the rumored teams were offering young assets.      

Grayson Allen, Dewayne Bacon, and Stanley Johnson don't hold any value over Bruno, Ivan, or Dillon.     Of course JJJ is the only player in that group with real value.    The guys i listed have just as much "potential" as all the young guys we supposedly could've acquired in those trades.     Monk, Bridges, Exum, and OG were never ever offered. 

Where is the joke?

Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not a joke.   Fanbase was collectively crying about not receiving young assets in those deals.    Fans overlooked the fact that none of the rumored teams were offering young assets.      

Grayson Allen, Dewayne Bacon, and Stanley Johnson don't hold any value over Bruno, Ivan, or Dillon.     Of course JJJ is the only player in that group with real value.    The guys i listed have just as much "potential" as all the young guys we supposedly could've acquired in those trades.     Monk, Bridges, Exum, and OG were never ever offered. 

Where is the joke?

Who was overlooking the fact that team's weren't offering young talent again??? I seem to remember someone in particular saying that a ton of different trades all required young talent in return. I think his initials were GFT or something... 

Jevon is going to have to go back to the G League. His shooting isn't good enough to be on this team.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I know I am going to sound like Mr. Downer but I don't see Bruno, Dillon, Jevon, Kyle or even Ivan as care pieces to build around. They are at best backups or questionable starters. Neither Carter nor Bruno have shown the ability to consistently hit shots. Ivan has a long way to go with strength conditioning and Kyle was not someone GTF even wanted as a starter at the beginning of the season. He's a great all-around talent but is hardly someone I see as a core piece especially with his mysterious shoulder issues.  Dillon showed he could score late in the season on a bad team desperate for anyone to score but he's basically taken off this entire season and he plays at the wing where he will struggle to get minutes with Kyle, Aaron and Justin ahead of him. 

The Grizzlies youth movement has a decent beginning but there is a lot more true talent needing to be added. One starter and a bunch of backups isn't exactly a youth movement. 

The thing is nobody knows at this point.   You are correct i wasnt excited about SloMo but then he proved me wrong.   Nobody was keen on Dillon then he showed promise.   Rabb was being treated as a scrub now he is showing potential to be a legit NBA player.    

key is you just never know.    I am not saying any of those guys are future cornerstone pieces but hey who would've ever guessed Mike, Marc, Tony and Zbo would become a CORE either. 

There are still avenues to add more talent.     What the hope should always be is that at least one of those young guys grows into a real asset for the Grizz.   

5 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Where is the joke?

If ANY 1st round picks were being offered we should’ve taken that. Arguing about fringe nba guys is useless. If those guys are to be counted on in the future, we will be a perpetual 30 win team. 

Thats why we should’ve taken any package with picks and younger guys, bottomed out this year and draft a lottery talent. Until we add real talent we will suck. 

I prefer to get that sooner than waiting on 2021 to start adding. The FO is sacrificing years just to avoid a possible egg on the face situation

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Who was overlooking the fact that team's weren't offering young talent again??? I seem to remember someone in particular saying that a ton of different trades all required young talent in return. I think his initials were GFT or something... 

Well at the time all the rumored trades included the guys i mentioned (exum and monk).     So i was just going off information provided.    Reality is they weren't so the expectations had to be adjusted.    Can't criticize someone for something that was not available in the first place.     That's like people complaining about Grizz not drafting Luka.