GF#1

Grizzlies trading Gasol to Raptors

23 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

But hey, at least he’s managed to lose some more picks along the way.

Man!!! He is the pick losing KING!!

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

gasol 34, jonas 26 = youth upgrade. the second round pick is 2024, by then the raptors will most likely be a lottery team. That's what I am saying.

I thought Jonas was 40.  When healthy he is a brick wall who can rebound.  

13 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I respect Dwash's opinion a lot and I am realistic about Gasols value. But there's no way you can't get a late first from Toronto in this trade. 

The east is an arms race this year. With the Harris to Philly trade and Mitotic to Bucks, the Raptors did the Gasol trade to keep pace. Does anyone really think that Toronto is gonna let a late 1st stop them from a finals berth? Yes Gasols value wasn't that high but Wallace is a terrible negotiator, both are true. 

IIwII, the Raptors dont have their first in 2019. Do you think they are giving up a 2021 first that isnt ridiculously protected with Kawhi's status undecided? No way. 

I just think you can eventually get a late first for JV if thats your desire. He can put up 15 and 8 just like Gasol.

4 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

ecstatic to see JJJ and JV play together

Yeah. Sounds promising. Those two plus Rabb might be an ideal 3 big man rotation.  

Boston can have fun choosing between Bol Bol and Darius Garland at 11.

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Are you suggesting the Charlotte rumors weren't true? Hell. I'd rather have Lowry and Jonas than what the Grizzlies ended up with. I feel sorry for Mike. 

Yes many of the CHA rumors were not true.  You wanted Frank the Tank and an expiring?  It was all crap, take your pick of the crap sandwich we had on the table and have a bite of it.  The league KNEW we were over a barrel on the Gasol thing after he sat and cleaned out his locker. 

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Yeah. Sounds promising. Those two plus Rabb might be an ideal 3 big man rotation.  

Boston can have fun choosing between Bol Bol and Darius Garland at 11.

Well the problem is, even if they are dynamite together, we only have him for next year. That’s why it’s a horrible trade. We got nothing for the future after one year

32 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

CW has failed to get one single first round pick for two deadlines in a row after openly stating that his goal was get a first rounder.

Man you need to get right with God, you talked like Gasol was trash then you complain about CW not getting a 1st for him. He couldn't win with you if he gave you 1M a day, you'd be asking for 2.

39 minutes ago, The REF said:

Keith Smith Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

Great return for Memphis for a guy who was done with the Grizzlies anyway.

Keith Smith added,

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn
    Toronto is planning to send Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Milles and a 2024 second-round pick to the the Grizzlies for Gasol, league sources tell ESPN.

Exactly...some of our fans are clueless. We won that trade no doubt. 

Where I think we can complain is who’s gonna stretch the floor now? We thought we couldn’t shoot before? We are the worst in the NBA for sure after today. I hate the Clips deal

3 minutes ago, Back2Grizzness said:

Exactly...some of our fans are clueless. We won that trade no doubt. 

Where I think we can complain is who’s gonna stretch the floor now? We thought we couldn’t shoot before? We are the worst in the NBA for sure after today. I hate the Clips deal

Doesn't matter because we aren't making playoffs regardless.  This is all about developing around Jaren and now that Marc is gone we can truly see what will fit best around him.    

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Doesn't matter because we aren't making playoffs regardless.  This is all about developing around Jaren and now that Marc is gone we can truly see what will fit best around him.    

Preach. Looking forward to next season

24 minutes ago, Gradey said:

I duno what you guys were thinking we'd get for Marc.  First round picks?  Maybe in the late 20s.  Great young talent?  Not likely. 

So many people keep talking like the Grizz are walking away from offers of top talent and good picks.  You are dreaming.

Are you suggesting the Charlotte rumors weren't true? Hell. I'd rather have Lowry and Jonas than what the Grizzlies ended up with. I feel sorry for Mike. 

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Why do you feel sorry for Mike?

5 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Why do you feel sorry for Mike?

Mike is the last of the core 4 and he has to sit through the rest of the season and summer with more rumors about whether or not he will be traded plus sit through a rebuild that he will be too old to participate in once they are competitive again. 

I never judge a person's bank account to determine if you should feel their pain. 

Chip,

I doubt he FEELS the same or sorry for the poor fans who has to fork over, $1,000 of $1,000 of $1,000's dollars to watch this MESS on the COURT!  If you want to feel sorry for anyone, let's do it for all the ticket holders and fans who attend these games!

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Mike is the last of the core 4 and he has to sit through the rest of the season and summer with more rumors about whether or not he will be traded plus sit through a rebuild that he will be too old to participate in once they are competitive again. 

I never judge a person's bank account to determine if you should feel their pain. 

Maybe you should, sitting one sided like he has to do with all that money on the same side could cause him to have a lot of PAIN. I think he will play better now because the game should be more wide open. I doubt if anyone will want him with that 33M hanging over his head.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819666-grading-every-deal-at-the-2019-nba-trade-deadline#slide3

Grizzlies: B

Gobs of opinion-havers are going to destroy Memphis for this return. They should think twice.

Gasol's value wasn't through the roof. Most teams probably feared him opting into the final year of his deal.

His defense has slipped, and he's seesawed on offense over the past two months or so. The Grizzlies needed him to be an anchor on both sides. The Raptors do not. They have the portable wings and bigs (Pascal Siakam!) to prop up Gasol on defense, and he'll seldom be more than a No. 3 or 4 offensive option. 

Wright turns 27 in April, so he isn't exactly a prospect, but he's someone the Grizzlies can keep around if the price is right this summer. The trio of him, Kyle Anderson and Jaren Jackson Jr. should make sweet music together.

Eating Miles' 2019-20 salary isn't great, but if you're going to overpay someone, it might as well be an established shooter still set to earn under $9 million. Valanciunas is an offensive downgrade from his predecessor, but he's easier to incorporate. He's more of a rim-runner than Gasol and is a superior presence on the glass.  

Several positives to take from this IMO

- Val can pick up his option next year and we can flip him into something if he's not a long-term solution

- Delon is on the same timeline as Kyle. He's a pretty good player, not sure on his ceiling but he makes for a solid rotation guy at 26. Re-signing him could be tricky depending on what he commands in the open market as a RFA

- the 2nd round pick could hold some value depending on where Toronto is 5 years now. They could be a bottom dweller. Who knows?

- you get similar production out of Val that Marc gave, while giving grooming JJJ the rest of this season. This is the biggest win for me. You're taking a high usage player out of your lineup in hopes of those touches going to JJJ.

I hate we couldn't get a 1st out of the deal or a younger prospect with a higher ceiling. But, considering Marc is 34 years old, I think that was pretty decent value.

As mentioned already, I'm more upset about the Clippers deal when Houston just gave up a 1st to any team that took on Brandon Knight. That should've been us. I think trading those expirings for what we got was poorly executed. Maybe Bradley fits here, though. Who knows?

If the rumors are true that we can possibly get more for Conley in the summer, I'm fine with that. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see the reason for not rushing to move him if the offers weren't right. I think you HAVE to find a way to get a 1st or a young prospect in a Conley did. He's still in his prime.

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

With good coaching the Grizz could still be in the hunt for a playoff spot. They lost some tough games they should've won. Oh Fizdale screwed the Grizz when he wanted to make MC more of a scorer. Now JB has done the same thing.

4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

With good coaching the Grizz could still be in the hunt for a playoff spot. They lost some tough games they should've won. Oh Fizdale screwed the Grizz when he wanted to make MC more of a scorer. Now JB has done the same thing.

Image result for whatever gif