GF#1

Grizzlies trading Gasol to Raptors

43 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

38 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Did we really trade Gasol for an injury prone center, a bad point guard, an aging shooter and 2024 2nd round draft pick? 

Chip, I think they panic.   But we'll see, I do like  Jonas Valanciunas but only getting him and 2nd round is not that great, especially in 2024?  I would have taken 1st round in 2024.  But a 2nd round? Wow.  Memphis lose out on this deal and Toronto makes it to the NBA Finals.

Lowry

Kawhi Leonard

Danny Green

Marc Gasol

Wow, i see them beating Boston.

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yea looks like i'll have to Co-pilot with you because everyone thinking we were going to get Giannis and Top 5 pick for our garbage assets were dillusional. 

Its unreal. 

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Are you folks serious we got a center who.is 8 years younger with a per 36 of 24.5 and 13.8 rebs!!! Gasol is 16.8 and 9.2 in case you didnt know. And an upgrade in backup pg play and a shooter. All without the arrogance and cockiness of a guy who thinks he is the mayor here.

These guys (especially JV) can be traded next year!

Absolutely. Not a bad trade at all. Val is arguably better than Marc rn and you did get a 1st rd pick...it was just a 2015 pick in the shape of Wright who’s better than Mack 😂 

The Bradley trade sucks

I like the Gasol deal. Much better return than I anticipated. Valunciunus is a good player. Check his stats; he puts up good production in 20-25 mpg. He and Jackson will be a good tandem. Wright is a decent young player. Also Vally expires along with Miles & Bradley in 2 years just like Parsons (that's about 55mil all total). This is evidence of long-term planning.

It looks like we will keep Conley for next year. We will tank the rest of this year and keep our pick, then try to be good next year ( w/ Conley, Vally, Bradley, lotto pick) when our pick is unprotected. Then we can rebuild with two high lotto picks, all that salary off the books (FAs acquisitions?) and maybe keep Conley or Vally at reduced salary. 

2 minutes ago, Back2Grizzness said:

Absolutely. Not a bad trade at all. Val is arguably better than Marc rn and you did get a 1st rd pick...it was just a 2015 pick in the shape of Wright who’s better than Mack.

The Bradley trade sucks

The Bradley trade kept us under the tax in conjunction with this trade.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anthony Davis Sweepstakes and Porzingas deal basically up-heaved the entire market.       Dallas and the Lakers were the two franchises we THOUGHT had real interest in Marc.  Clippers were another team rumored to be interested.      Those 3 teams pulled off blockbuster deals that blew the doors off anything we could offer.       Then more teams became Sellers - this was like the 08 housing crisis all over again. 

say it with me people, THERE WASN"T A  MARKET FOR A 34y MOODY PAST PRIME PLODDING CENTER.     Heck only reason why TOR wants him is based off reputation.  Jonas V is just as good as him. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anthony Davis Sweepstakes and Porzingas deal basically up-heaved the entire market.       Dallas and the Lakers were the two franchises we THOUGHT had real interest in Marc.  Clippers were another team rumored to be interested.      Those 3 teams pulled off blockbuster deals that blew the doors off anything we could offer.       Then more teams became Sellers - this was like the 08 housing crisis all over again. 

say it with me people, THERE WASN"T A  MARKET FOR A 34y MOODY PAST PRIME PLODDING CENTER.     Heck only reason why TOR wants him is based off reputation.  Jonas V is just as good as him. 

All they got was cap space and the opportunity to try and make trades with expiring contracts again next year....they just bought themselves more time to make deals next season

3 minutes ago, Back2Grizzness said:

We lost our old man game, fat, YMCA god of a PG. 

DRINK !!!

🤣😂🤩🙃

🤤

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The Bradley trade kept us under the tax in conjunction with this trade.

Bradley and Miles have been targets for CW for years. I legitimately believe CW traded for these people because he still thinks they're high level players.

15 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

That's fine for PG.   Its smart to have solid PG around for development of Jaren.   Possible we can still acquire a good young guy in FA.   

19 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

He's 26 and Jaren is 19 he'll be 30 when Jaren is ready at 23

21 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Kind of a jack of all trades 6'5 inch pg. Not super explosive but not Andrew  Harrison slow either. Solid defense. Shooting had improved since college but regressed this year. I think he could be a player with more opportunity.

Delon should be devolop into a 3&D sg, like Danny Green.

Like I said, Jonas Valanciunas is a nice pickup.  Really nice, like someone said 8 years younger but is he an All Star?  You are trading an proven NBA All Star in Marc with playoff experience, I think they could have asked for Jonas and a 1st round (future) protected.

I just don't understand all this guys are under contract for next year !!????

It just doesn't make since.

4 minutes ago, The REF said:

Like I said, Jonas Valanciunas is a nice pickup.  Really nice, like someone said 8 years younger but is he an All Star?  You are trading an proven NBA All Star in Marc with playoff experience, I think they could have asked for Jonas and a 1st round (future) protected.

It doesn’t matter how good he is. He only has one year left and we will be TERRIBLE next year. He’s not a future piece. None of these guys are. It’s insanity 

3 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

It doesn’t matter how good he is. He only has one year left and we will be TERRIBLE next year. He’s not a future piece. None of these guys are. It’s insanity 

How do you know he will be TERRIBLE?  Magic ball somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Delon should be devolop into a 3&D sg, like Danny Green.

He can't shoot

The Grizzlies needed to focus on two things in making trades at the deadline:

1. Acquire as many draft picks as possible (preferably 1st rounders but multiple 2nd rounders would be acceptable).

2. Acquire young assets with some potential (ie from teams that either don't have many draft picks or don't want to trade draft picks).

So, the Grizz traded Gasol, JaMychal & Temple and they received no young players at all and a single 2nd round pick.......in 2024. There just is no nice way to spin this one. There are some posters on Twitter who seem to like the Gasol trade but, then again, some people like to sniff glue. It is going to be a long, hard rebuild without additional draft picks and young players to develop around JJJ.

I'm a little bit better now that I've had time to digest everything. Totally understand that the Bradley deal was tax related. And I know that Gasol doesn't carry much value, but I just felt like a desperate team like the Raptors would come off of a future 1st.

I just don't like that we didn't get any picks, even heavily protected ones. But we do have some movable parts to play with.

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:
CXMbdyYX_bigger.jpgKeith SmithVerified account @KeithSmithNBA
FollowFollow @KeithSmithNBA
More

Full deal: Orlando gets Markelle Fultz Philadelphia gets Jonathon Simmons, protected future OKC 1st rounder and a CLE 2nd rounder.

Okay now i am more understanding of the Temple/Jam deal.    We had no real shot at Fultz. 

Philly just got a first and a second for Fultz who is broken and can't play. Memphis couldn't get that for a healthy Gasol.