GF#1

Grizzlies trading Gasol to Raptors

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

r500809_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=j

Big game for Big Spain last night

Gasol is looking great of the bench for them. They also add Jeremy Lin, feeling they will really make the Finals and give GS everything they can in a Series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it last night and he was playing harder as I suspected. Not going through the motions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I watched it last night and he was playing harder as I suspected. Not going through the motions.

Agree he looked more like the Gasol of earlier in the season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looks so happy now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy for the big fella. I hope he gets a ring. Took me a minute, not going to lie. but I really am happy for the guy. He means a lot to this city, and he will forever be a Memphian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 3:49 PM, chipc3 said:

Mike is the last of the core 4 and he has to sit through the rest of the season and summer with more rumors about whether or not he will be traded plus sit through a rebuild that he will be too old to participate in once they are competitive again. 

I never judge a person's bank account to determine if you should feel their pain. 

I agree with all of your post ... Kyle Lowry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, BadGrizzly said:

I have a question for you. Where do you get your best info and reads regarding your team. Which sites and forums are best for following this team and discussing stuff. I guess, with JV beeing here, I'm gonna be following this team with an eye, as I am a bit of a fan of JV and I'm curious to see how well he does on a new team, where he potentially will have the opportunity to play 30+ minutes and get a few more touches than he ever got on a loaded Raps team.

Big JV fan here as well. Not such a big fan of Raptors management after trading JV (Ibaka should have been traded). I did a Duck Duck Go search so I could find a Grizzlies forum to follow JV, Delon and CJ. There wasn't much. Just this site and the RealGM/Grizzlies. I follow the RealGM/Raptors forum, but the Grizzlies forum on RealGM wasn't that great. Btw, your long JV summary post was fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Big JV fan here as well. Not such a big fan of Raptors management after trading JV (Ibaka should have been traded). I did a Duck Duck Go search so I could find a Grizzlies forum to follow JV, Delon and CJ. There wasn't much. Just this site and the RealGM/Grizzlies. I follow the RealGM/Raptors forum, but the Grizzlies forum on RealGM wasn't that great. Btw, your long JV summary post was fantastic.

I think the reason there aren't that many different Grizzlies message boards (aside from it being a small market team) is that unlike many teams, we've always had this high quality NBA.com sponsored message board to use, so most people just come here, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 9:52 PM, Once_a_hater said:

Marc is coming of the bench, something I believe is best suited for him anyway, in Toronto he is the 4th or 5th option. He will a major reason for their sucess for sure.

PS.: We should have forced OG instead of Wright on the deal. 

Raps fans are upset that coach Nick Nurse has not put Marc into the starting lineup after 3 games with the Raps. If Marc is not in the starting lineup after the all-star break, I think coach Nurse will be tarred and feathered and thrown off the CN Tower in downtown Toronto. If you haven't been to Toronto, the CN Tower is taller than the Empire State building. The fans are fully expecting Marc to be a starter for the rest of the season. OG and Pascal Siakim are on the Raptors management's "untouchables list"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GameOn said:

Raps fans are upset that coach Nick Nurse has not put Marc into the starting lineup after 3 games with the Raps. If Marc is not in the starting lineup after the all-star break, I think coach Nurse will be tarred and feathered and thrown off the CN Tower in downtown Toronto. If you haven't been to Toronto, the CN Tower is taller than the Empire State building. The fans are fully expecting Marc to be a starter for the rest of the season. OG and Pascal Siakim are on the Raptors management's "untouchables list"

I wouldn’t be surprised if Marc went to Nurse and expressed that he wants to embrace coming off the bench. I can see this especially since he’s had a little bit of nagging injuries and 17-25 min range might be best for him to stay fresh come playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, cdp said:

Fantastic that's worse than any Hornets trade rumor.

Ya'll wanted Marc gone? Be careful what you wish for.

All of the fans ive talked to since the trade are so happy that marc gasol is gone.   The team looks totally different especially offensively and is exciting to watch again.   The guys we got in the trade have looked pretty good.

Toronto is 11-7 since the trade.  They are 7-7 in the last 14 games.  Marc's production is down.

Of course this is just a short sample.  Things can change.   I'd like to know if chris wallace made these trades or was it someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

All of the fans ive talked to since the trade are so happy that marc gasol is gone.   The team looks totally different especially offensively and is exciting to watch again.   The guys we got in the trade have looked pretty good.

Toronto is 11-7 since the trade.  They are 7-7 in the last 14 games.  Marc's production is down.

Of course this is just a short sample.  Things can change.   I'd like to know if chris wallace made these trades or was it someone else?

The rumor I have heard is that Chris Makris and Tayshaun Prince are running the Front Office and that Robert Pera was personally involved as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

All of the fans ive talked to since the trade are so happy that marc gasol is gone.   The team looks totally different especially offensively and is exciting to watch again.   The guys we got in the trade have looked pretty good.

Toronto is 11-7 since the trade.  They are 7-7 in the last 14 games.  Marc's production is down.

Of course this is just a short sample.  Things can change.   I'd like to know if chris wallace made these trades or was it someone else?

Im telling you Marc Gasol and his playing style was the problem all along. Not JB and maybe not even some of the guys Wallace picked. A big man that dont move and stands in the middle all day and never gets dirty and wont punish mismatches just destroys offensive flow. . Ordinary pickups like Dorsey, Wright, Bradley etc that are available all day in the league suddenly look very usuable. This wouldnt have happened before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Im telling you Marc Gasol and his playing style was the problem all along. Not JB and maybe not even some of the guys Wallace picked. A big man that dont move and stands in the middle all day and never gets dirty and wont punish mismatches just destroys offensive flow. . Ordinary pickups like Dorsey, Wright, Bradley etc that are available all day in the league suddenly look very usuable. This wouldnt have happened before.

may be something here.  I have said for years that a big reason why we could never recruit dynamic wings was our playstyle more than the market.   Any wing coming here knew there offensive role would be limited by having 2 high usage Bigs on the court.  Not to mention the lack of spacing and lower touches within offense.    No sensible player would voluntarily do that unless it was for an overpay.  

Another thing is Marc rarely set good screens - heck neither did Zbo.    Two of the best screeners ever to don a Grizz uniform are Noah and Jonas.    No coincidence that these ordinary run of the mill players are looking like prime Rip Hamilton all of a sudden.   They are getting open looks.   

Another caveat is we have more capable ball-handlers on the roster than ever before.   Dorsey,  Chandler, Mike, Delon, Noah, Jevon, and even Justin can respectably dribble up the court and start the offense.   GnG years Mike and Marc were basically the only initiators and Mike was primary ball-handler.    This roster is closer to the type JB has always wanted, which is a team full of multiple playmakers.   Problem is he was earlier on running that type of offense for a team that didn't have those type of players.   Especially when Gasol still wanted to be the secondary facilitator.    JB's offense wants the ball to move around quicker and the ballhandlers to be able to drive and kick or probe.    That aint happening if Marc standing at top of the key holding the ball fishing for assists.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

may be something here.  I have said for years that a big reason why we could never recruit dynamic wings was our playstyle more than the market.   Any wing coming here knew there offensive role would be limited by having 2 high usage Bigs on the court.  Not to mention the lack of spacing and lower touches within offense.    No sensible player would voluntarily do that unless it was for an overpay.  

Another thing is Marc rarely set good screens - heck neither did Zbo.    Two of the best screeners ever to don a Grizz uniform are Noah and Jonas.    No coincidence that these ordinary run of the mill players are looking like prime Rip Hamilton all of a sudden.   They are getting open looks.   

Another caveat is we have more capable ball-handlers on the roster than ever before.   Dorsey,  Chandler, Mike, Delon, Noah, Jevon, and even Justin can respectably dribble up the court and start the offense.   GnG years Mike and Marc were basically the only initiators and Mike was primary ball-handler.    This roster is closer to the type JB has always wanted, which is a team full of multiple playmakers.   Problem is he was earlier on running that type of offense for a team that didn't have those type of players.   Especially when Gasol still wanted to be the secondary facilitator.    JB's offense wants the ball to move around quicker and the ballhandlers to be able to drive and kick or probe.    That aint happening if Marc standing at top of the key holding the ball fishing for assists.  

 

A GTF rewrite of history, huh?  Marc's screens were fine.  The trouble was that the only player in the offense we screened for was Mike.  You can also try to use that bigs excuse for drawing free agents, but I bet it has a lot more to do with the city and the perceived amount of glory a free agent thinks he will receive here.

We got the better end of that trade.  No need to start rewriting history to justify it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

A GTF rewrite of history, huh?  Marc's screens were fine.  The trouble was that the only player in the offense we screened for was Mike.  You can also try to use that bigs excuse for drawing free agents, but I bet it has a lot more to do with the city and the perceived amount of glory a free agent thinks he will receive here.

We got the better end of that trade.  No need to start rewriting history to justify it.

Dude no rewrite necessary.     Marc's screens don't compare to Noah or Jonas.   Even Mike mentioned in a an after win interview how solid their screens are.     What's the difference in saying "Marc didn't set good screens" vs "Marc didn't screen for others"???  Either way you wanna say it the result was the same.   I didn't say he wasn't capable. 

Yes "perceived amount of glory" is the big reason i agree.    You just don't seem to understand that playing 3rd fiddle to Marc + Zbo show in a slow paced offense with a  poorly spaced court negatively affects a wing's production.   Free Agents understand that.   You hear recruits in college and pros mention playstyle as being a factor in destinations they choose. 

Personally, i would rather play for a team that has an offense that fits my style and gives me a chance to compete and raise my profile OVER one that is catered to a completely different type of player where i will just be a complimentary piece.    There is nothing wrong with that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Dude no rewrite necessary.     Marc's screens don't compare to Noah or Jonas.   Even Mike mentioned in a an after win interview how solid their screens are.     What's the difference in saying "Marc didn't set good screens" vs "Marc didn't screen for others"???  Either way you wanna say it the result was the same.   I didn't say he wasn't capable. 

Yes "perceived amount of glory" is the big reason i agree.    You just don't seem to understand that playing 3rd fiddle to Marc + Zbo show in a slow paced offense with a  poorly spaced court negatively affects a wing's production.   Free Agents understand that.   You hear recruits in college and pros mention playstyle as being a factor in destinations they choose. 

Personally, i would rather play for a team that has an offense that fits my style and gives me a chance to compete and raise my profile OVER one that is catered to a completely different type of player where i will just be a complimentary piece.    There is nothing wrong with that.   

Of course Mike is going to say something good about their screens.  Why would he say different?  Now if you show me a quote where Mike says that Gasol's screens were inferior THAT might mean something.

Now I guess we will see free agents flocking to Memphis.  Fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Coaches don't matter, didn't you get the memo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

Coaches don't matter, didn't you get the memo.

🤣😂

i legit laughed out loud !

🤣🤣🤣

I can see where you are going with this ! 

My two yen worth -

Doc Rivers is not a great coach

Doc Rivers has a ring 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Of course Mike is going to say something good about their screens.  Why would he say different?  Now if you show me a quote where Mike says that Gasol's screens were inferior THAT might mean something.

Now I guess we will see free agents flocking to Memphis.  Fantastic.

No Mike credited their good screens to his scoring explosion recently and career night specifically.    Also coincidentally half the new guys have had career scoring highs and records since the trade (Mike, Bruno, Delon, CJ, Dorsey).   

7 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

BOOM!  Thank you!    IF our team was playoff level next season playing this faster paced style.  It would be much easier to recruit guys to play alongside Mike and Jaren than the GnG years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

That article comes to some poor conclusions IMO.  It says AB was asked to do too much pick and roll.  That is something he has excelled at since he arrived.  Maybe we have better PNR players?  IDK.  The whole article seems as if it is a defense of Doc and the Clippers rather than a look at Bradley since they never even proposed a reason for AB's resurgence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

That article comes to some poor conclusions IMO.  It says AB was asked to do too much pick and roll.  That is something he has excelled at since he arrived.  Maybe we have better PNR players?  IDK.  The whole article seems as if it is a defense of Doc and the Clippers rather than a look at Bradley since they never even proposed a reason for AB's resurgence.

 

“[Coach] just told me he wants me to go out there and play basketball, get back to playing like myself. When I was [on the] Clippers, my role was so limited. I was the cutter and a guy that just really sat in a corner… [JB Bickerstaff] wants me to get back to playing how I played in Boston. Hearing that was like a breath of fresh air for me. I know I’m going to play harder on the defensive end every single night, but I needed that confidence to go out there and start making shots, start playing how I used to.”

 

I see where you're coming from... the reason I posted this was the quote above...

It speaks more to players absolutely caring about the places they play as it relates to the style they will be asked / allowed to play...

Memphis and L.A. are two very uniquely different cities. I think that if the place had more weight , then a player would suck it up and play however the big city bright lights coach wanted and smile, yet here we have a player that says being here AND being allowed to play the way they are comfortable with is like a breath of fresh air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now