GF#1

Grizzlies acquire Avery Bradley

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think the role Avery plays does matter (as pointed out above).

He has about 25 games to see how he would fit.  The concern for Bradley going forward is his health as he has missed significant parts of the last few seasons and will turn 30 next year.

He needs to be evaluated on whether or not it is likely that the Grizzlies can land a free agent better than him at a cheaper price.

Bradley is only 28 and doesn't turn 29 till November.    Coincidentally, Tony was also 28 when he signed with us the first time.   Avery can be good for another 4yrs if health permits.    My only issue with him is his size alongside Conley.   

I am curious to see what he looks like playing with Delon.   I think Avery works best as on ball defender against PGs.   Pairing him with Delon another dogged defender who can check SGs, because of his size.    With Jaren on the backline cleaning up any messes could be a formidable defensive trio.  

All of the newcomers certainly appeared pretty healthy and youthful (enough) on Saturday night.

Tuesday will be a interesting story - playing with Jonas against a team with a little more spirit than NOLA had.

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Jrue was 6-10 shooting and didn't dominate because his running mate, Anthony Davis, was completely disinterested and blacked the lane more than cleared out defenders. New Orleans is in a bigger mess than Memphis right now. We shouldn't over-reach on conclusions from this one game. San Antonio is coming in on 4 game losing streak and is in danger of falling out of the playoff picture. They will be motivated. Let's see how the team plays in that game before drawing too many conclusions. 

A bigger mess than the Grizzlies? How is that humanly possible?

Just now, f-dizzle said:

If Gasol hadn't been traded then Memphis would be a bigger mess. Don't belittle the impact Davis' had on the team when he said that they couldn't win. That type of talk makes things very uncomfortable in the locker room. It was clear on the court that Davis wasn't interested in playing with that team. 

2 minutes ago, f-dizzle said:

I would encourage you to watch the Washington Wizards as well.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

If Gasol hadn't been traded then Memphis would be a bigger mess. Don't belittle the impact Davis' had on the team when he said that they couldn't win. That type of talk makes things very uncomfortable in the locker room. It was clear on the court that Davis wasn't interested in playing with that team. 

True. I'll bite on the Wizards situation as well. For example, looking at a Thabeet interview on cbssports.com, Wallace drafted Thabeet despite him refusing to work out for us as well as having Gasol in the fold. Letting Harden and Curry slide. Too many mishandling of picks and overpaying in a small market. Teams like the Grizz can't mess up.

1 minute ago, f-dizzle said:

True. I'll bite on the Wizards situation as well. For example, looking at a Thabeet interview on cbssports.com, Wallace drafted Thabeet despite him refusing to work out for us as well as having Gasol in the fold. Letting Harden and Curry slide. Too many mishandling of picks and overpaying in a small market. Teams like the Grizz can't mess up.

Thabust was a Heisley demand not a Wallace choice. 

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Thabust was a Heisley demand not a Wallace choice. 

if he cashed the checks as gm during that time, then he owns it.

slim.

3 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

if he cashed the checks as gm during that time, then he owns it.

slim.

Agreed but at least it is understandable. You have to do what the owner wants. It would be far worse if we thought that Thabust was Wallace's idea! 

17 minutes ago, The REF said:

Avery is a GAMER!  Period!

Yea i think he will be a solid complimentary scorer the rest of the season.   The skill-set is there.  When Mike is back we won't have to worry about lineups with no one that can score.    Mike, Jaren, Avery, Miles, Delon, Ivan, and Jonas can all create their own shots.   

Avery has always been a "stopper" on teams where there was plenty of scorers. Hope this situation brings the scorer out in him consistently. Could be a great asset. 

By the time Jaren hits his stride Bradley will be about done so I don’t see the point in discussing him. Same with Miles. The only players that matter are the players who will still be here when Jaren approaches his prime. That’s probably only Rabb, Dillon and whoever we draft this year 

18 minutes ago, Allen said:

By the time Jaren hits his stride Bradley will be about done so I don’t see the point in discussing him. Same with Miles. The only players that matter are the players who will still be here when Jaren approaches his prime. That’s probably only Rabb, Dillon and whoever we draft this year 

I think the hope is all the trade newcomers remain healthy and play well, so that they can potentially be flipped next season for assets - most will be expiring as well.

2 hours ago, BLUEandGOLD said:

Avery has always been a "stopper" on teams where there was plenty of scorers. Hope this situation brings the scorer out in him consistently. Could be a great asset. 

Bradley has been a subpar defender the last three years. He had a good game last night. Don't let it fool you. Mario Chalmers had a great game in the preseason last year, and everyone thought he was back. He was a disaster. Bradley will continue to be a subpar player. I hope I am wrong.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, lsugrizzfan said:

Bradley has been a subpar defender the last three years. He had a good game last night. Don't let it fool you. Mario Chalmers had a great game in the preseason last year, and everyone thought he was back. He was a disaster. Bradley will continue to be a subpar player. I hope I am wrong.

He's a starter on most teams right?

2 minutes ago, MickyFrickyGrizzyFan said:

I thank sweet baby Jesus for this man because besides Jaron and Conley or maybe Marc, when has a Grizz scored anything close to 33? 

That and the way he did it - his shooting has been a sight for sore eyes. And he has a terrific mid-range jumper.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, lsugrizzfan said:

That was preseason. This is the real thing. Even Bradley he only puts up one 20 point game per week and the rest are 10-13 point games, do you realize what a major improvement that would be for this team?

7 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

That and the way he did it - his shooting has been a sight for sore eyes. And he has a terrific mid-range jumper.

Man, what you said! I ain’t been this excited about a shooter since Mike Miller. I’m trying with every ounce of me not to develop a man-crush but if he stays this hot I don’t think I’m going to be able to control myself. TMI? Lol

in modern game mid range is wide open for someone who can shoot off pick/roll

if AB can keep summoning ghost of Beno and get hot like that from mid range it'll be a huge weapon '

'