GF#1

Grizzlies acquire Avery Bradley

I think we all are just shocked that only a “2075” 2nd round pick was the only thing we got, as far as picks/young assets go. I don’t think the moves were THAT bad. We will have a lot of flexibility....What we do with it however is a WHOLE different thing

On a serious note - what in the world happened to Avery Bradley? He used to be a really good perimeter player but he's been terrible the last two seasons. The guy is only 28 years old, so age shouldn't be a factor.

5 minutes ago, Back2Grizzness said:

Val is 7 years younger than Mark and slightly better at this point imo. Upgraded backup pg spot with a 26yo first rounder from ‘15. Not super sexy, but folks overvalue 1st rd picks outside the lottery.

Yeah I like JV! I just KNEW we were getting OG or Powell or somebody like that. But I’m cool with JV

Meh....I'm not all red arsed on this one.  It would be nice if Bradley re-captured that ability he displayed while in Boston.  If not...hell we are Grizz fans we have had worse moves than this for breakfast :D

The Clippers are doing this to clear cap to sign max free agents this offseason, which begs the question...

HOW WERE WE NOT ABLE TO GET A DRAFT PICK IN RETURN?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819666-grading-every-deal-at-the-2019-nba-trade-deadline#slide3

Grizzlies: C

You might be wondering why the heck Memphis is taking on Bradley without getting a sweetener. 

You aren't alone. 

The Grizzlies needed to jimmy up extra room under the tax to complete the Marc Gasol trade. That doesn't make this deal look too much better, but at least it's a reason.

Bradley is guaranteed only $2 million next year, so Memphis isn't into him for long. He might even become a buyout candidate. If he doesn't, here's hoping the Grizzlies only use him as Bruno Caboclo's backup or something.

12 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819666-grading-every-deal-at-the-2019-nba-trade-deadline#slide3

Grizzlies: C

You might be wondering why the heck Memphis is taking on Bradley without getting a sweetener. 

You aren't alone. 

The Grizzlies needed to jimmy up extra room under the tax to complete the Marc Gasol trade. That doesn't make this deal look too much better, but at least it's a reason.

Bradley is guaranteed only $2 million next year, so Memphis isn't into him for long. He might even become a buyout candidate. If he doesn't, here's hoping the Grizzlies only use him as Bruno Caboclo's backup or something.

this makes sense. and the fact that he is only guaranteed 2 mil makes it better. Basically, youth and a nice back-up (potentially more) and clearing the way for Rabb to get minutes. In a way, these deals do make sense.

Wright was going to take Shelvin's spot, so the grizzlies flipped Shelvin. In order to do the deal with toronto, they needed to get tax space, why they got bradley. Bradley was one of the few players that are only owed 2 mil next year, but 12 mil this year.

It all makes logical sense.

The grizzlies also got younger: Jonas for Marc. We are also likely save money under the cap, if the grizzlies resign or trade Jonas. So the grizzlies I suppose didn't do bad, but I HATE jonas.

The most valuable part of this deal was Delon Wright and that unprotected second round pick, which the grizzlies might be able to flip to boston for a first rounder this year. 

Everything else was marginal return. And we got younger and traded marc who was weighing this team down.

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

this makes sense. and the fact that he is only guaranteed 2 mil makes it better. Basically, youth and a nice back-up (potentially more) and clearing the way for Rabb to get minutes. In a way, these deals do make sense.

Wright was going to take Shelvin's spot, so the grizzlies flipped Shelvin. In order to do the deal with toronto, they needed to get tax space, why they got bradley. Bradley was one of the few players that are only owed 2 mil next year, but 12 mil this year.

It all makes logical sense.

The grizzlies also got younger: Jonas for Marc. We are also likely save money under the cap, if the grizzlies resign or trade Jonas. So the grizzlies I suppose didn't do bad, but I HATE jonas.

The most valuable part of this deal was Delon Wright and that unprotected second round pick, which the grizzlies might be able to flip to boston for a first rounder this year. 

Everything else was marginal return. And we got younger and traded marc who was weighing this team down.

Right, i don't know why everyone is upset about the HOU deal.   Knight isn't an expiring deal (15m) and he is coming off serious injury.  Marquese Chriss sucks and Rabb is better don't think HOU 2019 pick is better than the capspace and knight broken self.     
Bradley is a better trade chip this summer due to his contract low guarantee and he is playing better. 

I can see Bradley either working as a reclaimation success or a trade chip in moving Parsons next year

Avery didn't look bad in his first Grizz game and even looked like a good fit.   Before anyone says anything about Temple didn't either.    I listened t Avery post game interview last night and he commented that JB told him just to be himself.   He said in LA he was asked to play a different way as mostly catch-and-shoot corner guy.    Avery said he was relieved  JB said that and it excited him to get to back to his BOS version.  

I have to keep reminding myself that he is only 28y which means he has another good 3-4y left of high level play.    Building around Jaren does not mean the team has to shift completely to  19-22y.    It's actually better for the development when you have quality experienced guys peppered in.     Right now ruling out guys because they are in their late 20s would be short-sighted.  

I also like that we now have 4 dogged backcourt defenders in Avery, Justin, Jevon, and Delon.  

He is very short which doesn't make him ideal next to Conley BUT he would be a good fit next to Delon.  

As much as people are banging on Avery  Bradley, he was still averaging almost 30 mpg for Doc on a Clippers team that has surprised people this year and still hangs onto a playoff spot.

I think he's been disappointing for what was expected from him, but it doesn't mean he's not better than what the Grizzlies had been rolling out there.

And for the future, the Grizzlies get to see him first hand to determine if he is a fit.  As mentioned above, he is a past player Wallace has been interested in signing.  If he doesn't fit, better to get rid of him now.

If the team isn't sure, they still have the option to not guarantee the guy.

I think Bradley is worth keeping if he can produce like he did last night. 

12 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I think Bradley is worth keeping if he can produce like he did last night. 

3-10 shooting and the worst +/- ratio on the team for the evening. What production are you talking about? 

4 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Unless he totally sucks this year, I would bet we keep him next year.

That's how i see it too.   It isn't like we are going to sign a great Free Agent.   What impact player would want to sign up for a rebuild?

Just now, chipc3 said:

3-10 shooting and the worst +/- ratio on the team for the evening. What production are you talking about? 

He was the primary defender for Jrue Holiday.    Jrue torched us the last few times we played - he didn't this past game. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He was the primary defender for Jrue Holiday.    Jrue torched us the last few times we played - he didn't this past game. 

Jrue was 6-10 shooting and didn't dominate because his running mate, Anthony Davis, was completely disinterested and blacked the lane more than cleared out defenders. New Orleans is in a bigger mess than Memphis right now. We shouldn't over-reach on conclusions from this one game. San Antonio is coming in on 4 game losing streak and is in danger of falling out of the playoff picture. They will be motivated. Let's see how the team plays in that game before drawing too many conclusions. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, BnaBreaker said:

The Clippers are doing this to clear cap to sign max free agents this offseason, which begs the question...

HOW WERE WE NOT ABLE TO GET A DRAFT PICK IN RETURN?!?!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

I wonder you refer to FRP or SRP in your honest dreams?

He's so small.

Would be better off the bench, but he does still have a very nice stroke from deep - looked very comfortable with his shot.

This is a good place for all these guys to audition in a new setting running a new offense since most of them will likely be on the trading block as expirings next year.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:36 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Avery didn't look bad in his first Grizz game and even looked like a good fit.   Before anyone says anything about Temple didn't either.    I listened t Avery post game interview last night and he commented that JB told him just to be himself.   He said in LA he was asked to play a different way as mostly catch-and-shoot corner guy.    Avery said he was relieved  JB said that and it excited him to get to back to his BOS version.  

I think the role Avery plays does matter (as pointed out above).

He has about 25 games to see how he would fit.  The concern for Bradley going forward is his health as he has missed significant parts of the last few seasons and will turn 30 next year.

He needs to be evaluated on whether or not it is likely that the Grizzlies can land a free agent better than him at a cheaper price.