Sign in to follow this  
gfaulk09

Grizzlies Last in NBA Team Valuations

57 minutes ago, gfaulk09 said:

Forbes released their annual team valuations.. and grizzlies are last in the NBA. Which as a Grizzlies fan makes me worried. Starting to see the writing on the wall for the Grizzlies to leave Memphis 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2019/02/06/nba-team-values-2019-knicks-on-top-at-4-billion/

It makes me sad but however long it takes to get out of the contract I think that is the long term plan all along.

No more tanking after this one.  After this next headline draft pick, time to rebuild with JJJ and the next pick as the "faces of the franchise."  Continued tanks after this one will finish driving away what is left of the fanbase.  And when they leave, you lose the franchise.

And when the AAF folds in a season or two...

nothing will happen before 2027-2028.  If Pera tries to move before then, the local group can buy the team (that is valued at about $1B) for $377M (what Pera's group paid Heisley).  Yes, it sucks to be last, but just a few years ago, the team was worth less than $400M.  Now its right at a billion and going up.  If MEM could get a big raise in the local TV deal, it could be right with the other small market teams. 

Right now, the payroll is high and the revenues are down because of the rebuilding--non playoff status.  But that can change. 

Pera has more than doubled his investment since he bought the Grizzlies.  I don't see why it has to be assumed that he would want to move them.  Im not saying he would not move them.  I don't know.  But if Pera will hire a sharp GM that will rebuild the team and get back to winning games, things will look up.  To assume that Pera is letting things implode so he can scoop up the team in the middle of the night and move it to Seattle or San Jose would make him a pretty sorry fellow to do that to his fan base.  I hope this is not the case.

The franchise is growing in value fairly fast really.   That should make Pera happy.

56 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

No more tanking after this one.  After this next headline draft pick, time to rebuild with JJJ and the next pick as the "faces of the franchise."  Continued tanks after this one will finish driving away what is left of the fanbase.  And when they leave, you lose the franchise.

And when the AAF folds in a season or two...

But ARE we tanking...?

The 'bottom' 10 are all pretty much close to the same in value. The thing I thought was interesting was Forbes said 'the Cavs were the only NBA team the last year that lost money'. I always thought those 'Grizz lost 40  bazillion dollars' posts were false'. Now Forbes agrees. Everyone knows all pro sports teams use 'creative' (but legal) accounting practices to shield themselves from taxes. As a small market team, we just have to do it a little more. Also thought it was interesting our revenue per fan was ahead of half the league. The arena management side of the Grizz is doing something right.