BigHunkALove

Jaren's Future....is it PF or C? And who is his best fit partners

48 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Meyer Leonard,  Frank Kaminsky, Kelly Olynk  all three are available via trade.     Myles Turner or Sabonis would be others that fit well alongside Jaren. 

I find it interesting that they view Bruno as a PF prospect moreso than SF.    That may show how they view Jaren longterm too.    I really wish we could see Rabb playalongside him.    

This is why i am ready to move on from Marc.  He keeps the offense in limbo because everything is geared towards him.   Noah can operate in fast offense, facilitate offense, rebound and quarterback defense.   So losing Gasol isn't nearly as detrimental from a mentorship viewpoint as first thought.   

Ultimately i want a perimeter player to be the Alpha just because its easier to be clutch when you control the ball.    Jaren should be 1b.  

I don't think Jaxson Hayes would work with Jaren.  Bol Bol would be dicey -- and neither is a classic 5 although I do like Bol Bol.  

If you think about having a 3 1/2 big man rotation then you already have Jaren, Noah, and Rabb.  One more guy: maybe you want a long center who can rebound, in that case I think you look at Moses Brown.  Kylor Kelley is probably a guy you can get on the cheap.  He can block shots, dunk, and looks a bit like Bill Walton.

Jaren ain't a classic big.  So maybe you put another non-classic big next to him.  Obviously, Zion would be great.  Zion and Jaren would be the Jake and Elwood of the NBA.  I think you can put Grant Williams next to Jaren effectively....

If you want to go with a 2 man game, basically give one guy the ball then give the other guy the other half of the shots then I think RJ Barrett would work, BUT you have to give RJ the ball, run pick/rolls and pick/pops with Jaren or get Jaren going in the post and tell everyone else to get out of the way. That combo could be like putting Coltrane with Miles Davis.  Yeah, it could get weird, but once or twice a week it is gonna be great.  Justin Holiday gets some great looks with that "big two" and I am guessing Bruno is on the front line somewhere.  Kyle Anderson and Jevon Carter then become your two main guys off the bench.  

If you can't get Zion or RJ then I think you try to build a "Big 3" by trading down and getting Tre Jones as your point guard of the future and Kevin Porter Jr. as your dynamic scoring wing of the future.  Then in 2020 or 2021 you can draft an extra big plus some extra shooters.  

Jaren looks like a guy who needs to be in a triangle offense.  Ironically, RJ does too.

I think the most important component to fit next to JJJ is talent.

If he experiences no success by year 4, I think he is going to be out of here like AD.

That's the danger of tearing everything down around him.  This team could be worse next year and the year after, with the extreme danger of losing the pick in 2 years.  

11 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think the most important component to fit next to JJJ is talent.

If he experiences no success by year 4, I think he is going to be out of here like AD.

That's the danger of tearing everything down around him.  This team could be worse next year and the year after, with the extreme danger of losing the pick in 2 years.  

No that was the danger of not blowing it up the minute you knew what you had in Jaren.  Instead of doubling down in a failed GNG re-brand.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

Jaren ain't a classic big.  So maybe you put another non-classic big next to him.  Obviously, Zion would be great.  Zion and Jaren would be the Jake and Elwood of the NBA.  I think you can put Grant Williams next to Jaren effectively....

I looked at tankathon.com  and they have him slotted at about #20.  Guess who pick is around 19-20 it's Utah; which would give us that in Conley trade.  

What if we end up with Jarrett Culver + Grant Williams to go with Jaren and Exum????

This is why its time to pivot and get the assets.  We can go into next season with the talent level back up and still have picks.   Can start making FA moves to start winning by 2021 because all of contracts fall off at that time.  

13 hours ago, JJJTG said:

Yay!  We traded for AD without giving up JJJ while being lucky enough to land Zion!

How should we proceed from here?  Starting JJJ at SG?

Lmao! Man I can't get enough of Alt Grind aka the Grind City Rain Man. Dude has to be on the so called spectrum.

57 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I looked at tankathon.com  and they have him slotted at about #20.  Guess who pick is around 19-20 it's Utah; which would give us that in Conley trade.  

What if we end up with Jarrett Culver + Grant Williams to go with Jaren and Exum????

This is why its time to pivot and get the assets.  We can go into next season with the talent level back up and still have picks.   Can start making FA moves to start winning by 2021 because all of contracts fall off at that time.  

That would be pretty sweet but as a Vol fan i'm not so sure he declares for the draft. I'd probably be wrong if the committee tells him he's a sure fire 1st round pick though.

24 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

That would be pretty sweet but as a Vol fan i'm not so sure he declares for the draft. I'd probably be wrong if the committee tells him he's a sure fire 1st round pick though.

I haven't watched College ball in a while.  How do you think he would fit alongside Jaren?    

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Lmao! Man I can't get enough of Alt Grind aka the Grind City Rain Man. Dude has to be on the so called spectrum.

Maybe I am just the coach/GM combo the doctor ordered!

Back to Jaren: mentally, I wonder what he thinks he is.  Does he have the mentality of a secondary guy? A role player?  Wish he would give the super alpha go-to guy mentality.  On defense he's nice.  Probably not a first-option defender like Pippen or Rodman and not a primary rim protector like Rudy Gobert.  I think he is a really good weak side shot blocker, secondary rim protector, and a really good help defender and secondary man defender (we have Kyle, Jevon, Holiday, and Bruno so JJJ would be optimal as a secondary defensive option).  Solid rebounder (I think the scheme and Marc's play has deflated Jaren's rebounding totals a bit), but maybe he will never get more than 8 or 9 a night.  

Now on offense, when he gets going he is unstoppable and can do it all.  Right at the basket or 25 feet from the hoop.  He needs to be a guy looking for his shot (and we need a point guard who gets him the ball more), a volume scorer who looks to get 30 a night.  He is solid from 3 (but somewhat streaky), and can hit the corner 3 too, and he has obviously been a revelation in the paint especially when he has a mismatch he can take advantage of.  But, his REAL value on offense looks to be face-up jumpers from 5 to 15 feet.  He can even go by a slower defender with one big step and a power dribble.  He SHOULD have a Jordanesque shot chart.  He can also get to the line.  He can throw down dunks in space.  

Now, do you put him with another young stud and go with a two man game?  That would be the Zion option.  Or, a classic guard/big combo like RJ Barrett.  

OR, do you go with a "Big 3" approach featuring more of a floor general-scoring wing-two way big man trio?  So, would a Tre Jones/Kevin Porter, Jr. pairing with Jaren Jackson, Jr. be highly effective?  If so, you have your Big 3 of the future and 3 guys who can do damage form anywhere.  And, you still have textbook role players like Kyle Anderson, Bruno, Justin Holiday, Ivan Rabb, Jevon Carter, Dillon Brooks, and Jo Noah for veteran savvy.  

Obviously the road we take will depend on how the ping pong balls fall.

I think we can get this rebuild done sooner than many people think.  But, we HAVE to be proactive at the trade deadline, AND play our cards right on draft night!

There's no reason why we can't have a few more options inside to go with Jaren.  We can mix and match depending on the opponent.  A throwback power forward/center who rebounds and hits mid-range jumpers as well as a bouncy rim protecting/shot blocking center.  The good thing about Jaren, he can work with lots of different players/lineups.

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

There's no reason why we can't have a few more options inside to go with Jaren.  We can mix and match depending on the opponent.  A throwback power forward/center who rebounds and hits mid-range jumpers as well as a bouncy rim protecting/shot blocking center.  The good thing about Jaren, he can work with lots of different players/lineups.

That sounds like Julius Randle, problem is he doesn't really shoot 3s, and he's only 6'9"

I'm sure he'll opt out at the end of the season and then get a pretty big paycheck.

59 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

That sounds like Julius Randle, problem is he doesn't really shoot 3s, and he's only 6'9"

I'm sure he'll opt out at the end of the season and then get a pretty big paycheck.

Yeah and he's not long.

Randle could be a great 6th man at the right price. A smaller front line of Jaren and Randle could abuse back ups.  

23 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I haven't watched College ball in a while.  How do you think he would fit alongside Jaren?    

Grant would fit in with any personnel. He's a very heady player who had scholarship offers from Princeton and Harvard.

His game is ever evolving, including his jumper. Reminds me of another Vol Tobias Harris. More physical and not quite as fluid but you could see that he's just a good bball player period.

Would love for us draft him but imo it would have to be with Utah or Charlottes' pick, not ours if we're in the top 8.

2 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Grant would fit in with any personnel. He's a very heady player who had scholarship offers from Princeton and Harvard.

His game is ever evolving, including his jumper. Reminds me of another Vol Tobias Harris. More physical and not quite as fluid but you could see that he's just a good bball player period.

Would love for us draft him but imo it would have to be with Utah or Charlottes' pick, not ours if we're in the top 8.

I don't see many guys vastly better than Grant Williams.  

And a few of my other favorite guys can ALSO be had with a Utah or Charlotte pick (at least according to some draft boards):  guys like Kevin Porter, Jr. as a prototype scoring/shooting wing and Tre Jones -- a player who can pass, run the offense, and defend.  Bol Bol could very easily fall out of the lottery and that late he would be worth a flyer as an ideal long-term backup to Jaren/Rabb.  I like Admiral Schofield, too, and he is usually mocked no higher than late first round.  Ironically, Culver/Romeo do nothing for me, Ja Morant scares me, and Reddish would probably drive me nuts.  I would rather have 15/20 (Charlotte and Utah's picks) over our likely pick (6-8) nine times out of ten.  Convey a boom/bust pick to Boston if we have to then start scouting for 2020 (I actually don't like ANYBODY in that draft, well, I will if my guys Moses Brown and Mac McClung go back to school).

Vernon said on the show today that Jaren's best bud on team is Ivan Rabb.    They had great chemistry last night and pretty much paired together naturally.    

Sometimes its always best to look at what you have in front of you before venturing out.      Pretty much look liked More athletic younger Zbo+ Marc except both of them are willing shooters. 

Heck Rabb would've been a lottery pick if he left a year earlier.   If that would've happened the way he would be treated and viewed by Franchise would be extremely different.   No reason to think they couldn't both become a lethal big man combo.   Just need to surround them with dynamic perimeter players and PG that can make interior passes. 

If the rest of this year isn't dedicated to Jaren and Rabb playing as many minutes as humanly possible then I just literally can't even

3 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

If the rest of this year isn't dedicated to Jaren and Rabb playing as many minutes as humanly possible then I just literally can't even

You really think our "coach" is gonna do this, especially if Green and Temple don't get traded?

7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Vernon said on the show today that Jaren's best bud on team is Ivan Rabb.    They had great chemistry last night and pretty much paired together naturally.    

Good.  Maybe they can workout together and push each other during the off season.

They both need to put on weight and get stronger.

Then Ivan can help Jaren with his mid range game and rebounding, and Jaren can help Ivan with his post game.

Now is the time to ask Jaren's camp does he see himself as a PF or C long-term.      We have the pairings on the team that fit with him either way.    Rabb  can score inside , shoot 3s and rebound at PF.   Jonas can rebound and score has size to bang with bigger Centers. 

If Jaren is going to be full-time Center then he needs to gain weight to be able to handle Steven Adams, Embiid, KAT types.   Does he lose some of his athleticism or advantages that make him such a matchup nightmare when bulking up?    Does banging inside wear him down longterm and set up more injuries?    His comps have been KG and AD both are PF's with length to play C but they never wanted to shift there.    

JJJ size usually equals mismatches against PF's nightly but his quickness usually kills the bigger centers.   Transitioning to full-time Center may not maximize his scoring as much as PF.     

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

JJJ needs to be played with a post that is a strong rebounder.

JV is a nice complement in that way.

I would be prepared for going with a 3 big man rotation long-term no matter what you call Jaren.  

JV is that big rebounder/inside scoring that is a prototype center.  With Rabb you get smaller and quicker and Rabb also helps out on the boards but has more shooting range.

You also need fringe guys who can play some minutes at the 4 and 5.  Noah chips in at center.  If you need to go REALLY small you still need to have guys like Bruno, Julian Washburn, and even Kyle Anderson (I would almost think about playing him some as a point center a la Boris Diaw).

Jaren might be at the upper end of his ideal size -- just needs to work on explosiveness, stamina, and "toughness" (both mental and and physical).

Jaren's best attribute is his dynamic game on offense: can score, is a matchup nightmare, good post game, can hit the 3 and even step-backs, and is solid from the line.  Although maybe he makes his money scoring in the mid-range, taking quick jump hooks, and working on a floater and Euro step.  On the other side of the ball he should concentrate on help defense, weak-side shot blocking, and rebounding.  ... I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a bouncy shot blocker/dunker with a late second round pick.

What do y'all think of JJJ's fit next to Wiseman, who we are getting next year?

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

What do y'all think of JJJ's fit next to Wiseman, who we are getting next year?

I don’t want our two best players to be bigs again 

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

I don’t want our two best players to be bigs again 

Another reason we should have done everything we could to get Doncic last summer, but still JJJ is awesome

57 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Another reason we should have done everything we could to get Doncic last summer, but still JJJ is awesome

2020 is loaded with wings and guards

I think it’s easier to find a guard like Doncic than a big like Jackson