BigHunkALove

Jaren's Future....is it PF or C? And who is his best fit partners

GTF and Chip touched on a topic that would be a very good topic of discussion, and is pertinent to how to plan for the future of the Grizzlies, and the future of Jaren Jackson Jr.

Here's a recap:

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Just showing you Kyle hasn't always  played SF for the Grizzlies and Rabb has played both.  Circumstances may have dictated it but it still remains true.   Besides my point was Kyle could be the PF going forward when Jaren transitions to the 5 full-time. 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don't see JJJ as a center but who knows what the front office is thinking. 

Is the future and best utilization of Jaren with the Grizzlies @ PF or C?

If Jaren is to be the PF, who should the FO target in FA or trade as his best fit partner?

If Jaren is to be the C, who should the FO target in FA or trade as his best fit partner?

Does the positional decision affect who should be the PG and who should be targeted to play that role?

In view of the upcoming trade deadline, and then the draft and then free agency, a stradegy needs to be worked out rather than crossing bridges when you get to them.

He's almost a 6'11 shooting guard.

His shot chart should look more like Jordan's or Kobe's or the Iceman's or Durant's more than a Shaq/Duncan shot chart.

So Jaren is a keeper.  At the deadline shop for the big fish. Throw everything (and more) at Anthony Davis. AD and Jaren would be a good inside combo.

Draft: Zion is the guy to get!

If not, take Tre Jones by trading down to be the floor general of the future. If you can get Tre by trading down (I might even have Tre Jones in the top 3 on my next big board) then also get another complementary guy (Hunter for 3 and D), Kevin Porter Jr. for scoring or maybe even Grant Williams.  Grant Williams is a bit undersized but he is explosive, can score with anybody, and can help out on the boards.

I think Barrett, Reddish, Little, Romeo, Culver, Ja Morant, and Jaxson Hayes are overrated in terms of "mock draft consensus". 

Darius Garland and Bol Bol are wild cards with their injuries.  Looks like they have solid skill sets though.  

I still have a few deep sleepers in contention for my top 14.

Tyler Herro might be a guy to look at too.  

Even if this draft only has one legit (potential) superstar it looks like a really good one if you have two high(ish) picks.  Great draft to help round out a young core!

Finally, back to Jaren: if you just copied and pasted all my comments about JJJ into a book it would be a best seller -- probably in the Mystery/Science Fiction section!

GREAT idea!

I have a few questions that I would love to add to yours:

Who is the new GM? (We all know this change has got to come)

Who’s gonna coach us?

Are we going to have a coach that is well established and has a rigid system...?

Will he be a players’ coach...?

Will he develop a system / style of play that fits the current team (or team as constructed when the new coach is hired)...?

Will established players want to play for this coach in this city...?

If the new coach is told to build and mold a team around 13 - (and we should be trying to build around our best remaining player)how will he do it? 

Can players stay locked in or try knowing that we will be losing more often than not?

Will we be able to have a solid foundation in place that is familiar with each other and knows exactly what their roles are?

We should all be paying attention now... Paul George and Indy, and currently AD in NO... superstars are showing that their patience only goes so far... they want to Win and to do that they know they need other players that have the same goal .

And ... they are willing to leave huge sums of money on the table to pursue this goal. Winning.

I might see if John Calipari wants to be coach AND GM.  

Then he hires an assistant that he is training to be his successor.  

If not Coach Cal then go get Sam Hinkie as a GM.

Coach? Maybe the guy from UVA.  

I think we should all be hoping JJJ makes for a better 4 than 5 because we have another future star center waiting for us next year if we tank....one James Wiseman.‎ If those two end up playing and fitting together whew watch out.

34 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Why? His body of work centers around a great ability to recruit and coach one and done players. How does what he has done translate into who the Grizzlies need running the team? I think he is opposite of what the team needs.

43 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Why? His body of work centers around a great ability to recruit and coach one and done players. How does what he has done translate into who the Grizzlies need running the team? I think he is opposite of what the team needs.

He's a marketer, a salesman, a talker, a recruiter, a known brand, a good eye for talent, and we could all use some more dribble-drive in our lives.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

might want to go and jump in a creek. 

that man will never cash another check from the 901. book that for sure. 

slim. 

21 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Jaren is not a foundation cornerstone, he's a two or three option. I've changed my mind again on him.

I think he needs the perfect point guard with him AND an uber-athletic superstar wing.  But I would say that even Luka needs two more "major pieces".

The front court positions are interchangeable. He can play 4 or 5 due to his size so the question shouldn’t be position, as much as it should be player fit next to him. That’s why if Detroit wanted to give us Drummond for Marc I’d do that deal, because you need a dominant rebounder/banger next to JJJ. And shooting from the wing and PG spots. JJJ is a finesse big, you have to pair a banger with that. 

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Then he hires an assistant that he is training to be his successor.  

If not Coach Cal then go get Sam Hinkie as a GM.

Coach? Maybe the guy from UVA.  

Ask  the Nets how Calipari did as their GM and coach?  Look it up.

7 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Ask  the Nets how Calipari did as their GM and coach?  Look it up.

I think he wanted Kobe but Kobe didn't want them back.

We could go with Bol Bol and Markus Howard in the draft and just let it fly. Let Kyle, Holiday, Bruno, and Jevon do all the dirty work with Jaren as the third option.

Obviously Zion is the banger we have been waiting for.  

Grant Williams is a poor man's Zion -- but too much of a poor man's Zion?

Tre would be great.  Kevin Porter Jr and Hunter look like good wing options with Porter the better "scorer".  

5 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Scoring playmaker at the 2 is what Jaren needs....

Kevin Porter Jr has some good highlights for what it's worth. RJ Barrett reminds me too much of Tony Wroten. Although if you give RJ the keys then RJ/Jaren would be one super-funky pick/pop or pick/roll combo.  

Moses Brown would be a good backup center for Jaren.  

I really want multiple picks in this draft.  Let's get this rebuild over with as quickly as possible.  

3 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

He's almost a 6'11 shooting guard.

His shot chart should look more like Jordan's or Kobe's or the Iceman's or Durant's more than a Shaq/Duncan shot chart.

So Jaren is a keeper.  At the deadline shop for the big fish. Throw everything (and more) at Anthony Davis. AD and Jaren would be a good inside combo.

Draft: Zion is the guy to get!

If not, take Tre Jones by trading down to be the floor general of the future. If you can get Tre by trading down (I might even have Tre Jones in the top 3 on my next big board) then also get another complementary guy (Hunter for 3 and D), Kevin Porter Jr. for scoring or maybe even Grant Williams.  Grant Williams is a bit undersized but he is explosive, can score with anybody, and can help out on the boards.

I think Barrett, Reddish, Little, Romeo, Culver, Ja Morant, and Jaxson Hayes are overrated in terms of "mock draft consensus". 

Darius Garland and Bol Bol are wild cards with their injuries.  Looks like they have solid skill sets though.  

I still have a few deep sleepers in contention for my top 14.

Tyler Herro might be a guy to look at too.  

Even if this draft only has one legit (potential) superstar it looks like a really good one if you have two high(ish) picks.  Great draft to help round out a young core!

Finally, back to Jaren: if you just copied and pasted all my comments about JJJ into a book it would be a best seller -- probably in the Mystery/Science Fiction section!

Yay!  We traded for AD without giving up JJJ while being lucky enough to land Zion!

How should we proceed from here?  Starting JJJ at SG?

He’s a big. Y’all are too caught up in this position stuff. Basketball isn’t like that anymore 

2 hours ago, Allen said:

He’s a big. Y’all are too caught up in this position stuff. Basketball isn’t like that anymore 

Exactly.

I’m hoping we use him like KG ... KG with a pretty good 3 ball.

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Yup, what we need is someone who complements his skillset.

I want JJJ to be a versatile big. But I always want a serviceable big man on the roster to play next to him when the other team's big is a big, strong banger. I believe that eventually JJJ will be able to handle those type of players. The wear and tear of a long season with bigger players leaning on you all night is real. Keep him fresh. Try to minimize the things that lead to injuries.

As I said earlier, JJJ seems like a PF to me in the modern sense of the term. He has 3 point range, he can guard on the perimeter, he can beat most PFs down the court and he has nice moves in the paint. Once he learns how not to commit silly fouls he should be an awesome player. 

Pairing another big with him shouldn't be that difficult. The team needs someone to handle big men down low and to clog the lane. A young Marc Gasol in other words only one more committed to rebounding than scoring.

He doesn't need to be a three point shooter per se but he does have to have a jump shot outside the paint that opposing teams have to defend. This way he can clear the paint for people to drive the lane while at the same time clock the paint on the defensive end. Jackson would have to bulk up somewhat to handle that role which would rob him somewhat of his speed and agility, two of his biggest strengths right now. Jackson also hasn't shown the desire to be a strong enough rebounder which is important for the team's success in my opinion. 

Of course, this all depends on what the team is going to look like moving forward. Do the Grizzlies want to abandon Grit and Grind part 2 as quickly as they abandoned Fizzball? Does the front office have a plan for how the team will look or are they just going to wing it? Until the team has a clear vision of what they are trying to build, it is difficult to suggest who should partner with Jackson or what position he should play. 

4 hours ago, Allen said:

That's how i view him as well.   Modern day Centers play more like PF's anyway.    All i want him to do is gain CORE strength so he can stand his ground whenever he goes against traditional Centers.   He should be able to put on 15-20lbs of muscle without compromising athleticism and quickness. 

I just want him to be able to continue scoring in a myriad of ways and encourage him to create for himself.    Jaren becoming a dynamic offensive player and game changing defensive player is his ceiling.  That's a really high ceiling!

"Positions" only matter on defense and who you can/can't defend.

Offensively, I don't think he fits with a ZBo or Andre Drummond type of player.

I'm not sure a Embiid or Aldridge would be a good fit.

I don't know about Blake Griffin.

Maybe it is a Euro type of center that hangs out at the 3 pt line and periodically puts his back to the basket. Not sure where to find one of those.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

11 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

"Positions" only matter on defense and who you can/can't defend.

Offensively, I don't think he fits with a ZBo or Andre Drummond type of player.

I'm not sure a Embiid or Aldridge would be a good fit.

I don't know about Blake Griffin.

Maybe it is a Euro type of center that hangs out at the 3 pt line and periodically puts his back to the basket. Not sure where to find one of those.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Meyer Leonard,  Frank Kaminsky, Kelly Olynk  all three are available via trade.     Myles Turner or Sabonis would be others that fit well alongside Jaren. 

I find it interesting that they view Bruno as a PF prospect moreso than SF.    That may show how they view Jaren longterm too.    I really wish we could see Rabb playalongside him.    

This is why i am ready to move on from Marc.  He keeps the offense in limbo because everything is geared towards him.   Noah can operate in fast offense, facilitate offense, rebound and quarterback defense.   So losing Gasol isn't nearly as detrimental from a mentorship viewpoint as first thought.   

Ultimately i want a perimeter player to be the Alpha just because its easier to be clutch when you control the ball.    Jaren should be 1b.