PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Trading Mike/Marc is going to be a HUGE mistake...keep them would actually aid the rebuild.

Honestly how is trading them now going to turn out in our favor...there's no prospect on the team that they are holding back minutes wise...there no way we will get anything close to their value...the guys that should be one the trade block are temple and mack...i wouldnt even want to put jam and caspi out there (useless some really good offers come through) because they could  be good bench pieces for next season...and if the season keeps going this way we going to have a pick this season so its possible we draft jjj running mate...and who knows Gasol might restructure his deal to bring in talent...and if we lose conely get prepared to look for a pg of his caliber for the next five years...this gives carter plenty of time to be groomed

conley/carter

reddish/holiday

slmo/dbrooks

jjj/rabb

gasol/jam

may not be a playoff team...but we would be grooming a future core of JJJ,Reddish,Slomo,Dbrooks,Carter and maybe holiday...then when parsons and gasol money comes off the books we can sign a max player if need be.

3 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

Honestly how is trading them now going to turn out in our favor...there's no prospect on the team that they are holding back minutes wise...there no way we will get anything close to their value...the guys that should be one the trade block are temple and mack...i wouldnt even want to put jam and caspi out there (useless some really good offers come through) because they could  be good bench pieces for next season...and if the season keeps going this way we going to have a pick this season so its possible we draft jjj running mate...and who knows Gasol might restructure his deal to bring in talent...and if we lose conely get prepared to look for a pg of his caliber for the next five years...this gives carter plenty of time to be groomed

conley/carter

reddish/holiday

slmo/dbrooks

jjj/rabb

gasol/jam

may not be a playoff team...but we would be grooming a future core of JJJ,Reddish,Slomo,Dbrooks,Carter and maybe holiday...then when parsons and gasol money comes off the books we can sign a max player if need be.

I don't think carter and dbrooks  are good enough to be core championship caliber type players. slomo role player too. I dont think carter will even stick in the league very long tbh

5 minutes ago, guillermo said:

I don't think carter and dbrooks  are good enough to be core championship caliber type players. slomo role player too. I dont think carter will even stick in the league very long tbh

Carter-Gonna be as good/is not better as  PatBev imo

Reddish-Big3

Slomo-GlueGuy

JJJ-Big3

AD?-Big3 MaxPlayer

DBrooks-Sixthman

Marc is holding the offense back the team can only play one way with him here. And honestly they don't want to be apart of a rebuild their contracts along with Chandler's hamstring most of the teams cap space... There's no real reason to keep them anymore other than nostalgia of the past.

13 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

Honestly how is trading them now going to turn out in our favor. 

I fear that's not the right question. It's more like "Either way it doesn't look good; have you accepted that we can calmly assess which direction is better?" 

At first I think you're right that we won't get fair value. But remember that market value has to consider not only skill & effectiveness but also age and amount of contract.  

Assuming that Wallace has a rare month of common sense, he has to understand, as other GMs do, that he does not have to make a deal, so he can bargain harder.

But the trick is also to balance in: 

(1) risk of accidentally making the playoffs this year  (OR chance of somehow squeaking in if that's what we choose to try for re the draft pick)

(2) best guess re when we'd be able to trade Parsons next season, and what we might get in return

(3) a vision of what we could do with the replacements for three pretty good players next year. Are we a playoff team then? Will we want to be, given the draft situation? 

Whether our GM is Wallace or anyone else, I wouldn't want the job in this situation. BUT ... Robert Pera, are you there? If you're going to dump Wallace, do it NOW and see if you can find another Masao Ujiri to pull off a miracle with the above scenario.

everyone has gotta go except Jaren, and Kyle 

There is no urgency just yet in moving Mike unless a good deal presents itself

EVERYONE ELSE......goodbye

21 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Mods, aren't thread titles of this length the exclusive right of KBM?

Put a ring on it is my brother from another mother. He and I are very similar in our viewpoints.

OP-I felt that was an option before this season, but watching this season has made me feel bad for them. I hope they can go to another situation that gives them the opportunity to have some success. What’s going on now is just wasting precious time for them.

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

OP-I felt that was an option before this season, but watching this season has made me feel bad for them. I hope they can go to another situation that gives them the opportunity to have some success. What’s going on now is just wasting precious time for them.

Very true.

Both Conley and Gasol are class acts. The thing is, just because they are good players and good guys, for this team to give them the "Dirk" treatment is irresponsible. The state of the franchise is in tatters. The franchise can't afford the luxury of keeping them around, beloved players or not. Focus absolutely needs to be on the future. It can't be any more obvious. 2 1/2 years after trading Pau the Grizzlies were back in the playoffs. If Pera pulls his head out of his backside and realizes the franchise needs to be run by a basketball person and not a guy that got rich in the tech industry, we have a chance. Until that happens though, we are probably screwed either way.

2 hours ago, guillermo said:

Carter will stick. He's a defense first type of guy. 

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Very true.

Both Conley and Gasol are class acts. The thing is, just because they are good players and good guys, for this team to give them the "Dirk" treatment is irresponsible. The state of the franchise is in tatters. The franchise can't afford the luxury of keeping them around, beloved players or not. Focus absolutely needs to be on the future. It can't be any more obvious. 2 1/2 years after trading Pau the Grizzlies were back in the playoffs. If Pera pulls his head out of his backside and realizes the franchise needs to be run by a basketball person and not a guy that got rich in the tech industry, we have a chance. Until that happens though, we are probably screwed either way.

Yeah, it’s fresh start time. New era, clean slate time. Get someone in to get this thing built back up and competing ASAP.

I dont think this should have to be explained, but you are trading them to a team that needs good players now to compete in hopes of getting good players in 2-3 years that will be ready to compete for many years down the line. Who cares if they are good if the team is terrible.

3 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

conley/carter

reddish/holiday

slmo/dbrooks

jjj/rabb

gasol/jam

Image result for nuclear explosion animated gif

I think people need to be prepared that all 3 big contracts could still be on roster by the 2020 trade deadline.

I could see a clear path where no deal is done for any guy.

1. FO over valued Tyreke, and did not get a deal done for him, and there was no loyalty or attachment there. There  is some attachment to M&M.

2. Marc and Parsons expiring contracts may have more value next season than the poo poo platter of players or draft picks they receive.  We can all do Trade Machine deals, but it actually needs other teams to want those guys.

3. This team is actually able to tank with M&M on the roster as they look to future drafts. At least they can help with ticket sales.

4. There is only thing worse than this whole Chandler Parsons contract situation and that is if Parsons is actually able to play for another team at any point in the remainder of his deal.  If they waive him this year or next, and he is picked up and plays non-horribly in the playoffs 14 mpg, the Grizzlies will be even a bigger punchline around the league for that deal.  They have little to gain by waiving him, so keep him as expiring.

5. The Warriors are winning it all this year, so it isn't like dealing Conley to the Wizards or Gasol the Hornets is getting them a championship.  

-Now, I'm not at all going to be surprised if I picked up the paper tomorrow and all 3 were gone.  I can completely see that, but I'm almost more prepare that they will still be on roster next year.

Any team that sees Marc or Mike as their last piece also doesn't have the one or two contracts that will match up salary wise in order to make the trade legal under the CBA. The contracts that would match up are for guys that they are not going to be willing to part ways with.  Neither Marc ir Mike wants to go to DC, and no one they have that could match is a player that we should want.

Parsons contract screwed us. thats the long and short of it. There are a crap ton of Gasol/Conley haters on this board, but I think  its misplaced. If we had gotten the 22-25 ppg from Chancun that we were expecting none of this would be happening. 

I agree that Mike/Marc are a class act. Getting run out of town by some of you fans really gets under my skin. Your short term memory loss is astounding. And, I really dont want to spend the next 5 years laboring in the gutter in hopes of getting the next Lebron, or Harden or whatever. especially with our draft record. 

Sorry- rant over

And- ok I am sorry again in advance. but there are people all over this board talking about how the pelicans will bail on Nola- how AD has no loyalty etc. We had two players who gave their entire career to us, a small market team. And trusted a front office that really let them down with bad move after bad move. It just makes me sick to hear the way they are talked about

7 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

And- ok I am sorry again in advance. but there are people all over this board talking about how the pelicans will bail on Nola- how AD has no loyalty etc. We had two players who gave their entire career to us, a small market team. And trusted a front office that really let them down with bad move after bad move. It just makes me sick to hear the way they are talked about

I think you can also have the highest respect and admiration for Marc and Mike and realize that the best move for the franchise right now is to trade both.

The best move for the franchise is to get off $90M in contracts by the end of next season.

This thread title is the exact opposite of what they need to do.

If Marc/Mike are both on the roster at the end of the season, it will be a disaster.

BUT, if you are going to keep one for sure, then it should be Marc. Trade Conley for whatever assets you can get, then you still get off the $90M in total at the end of next season as both Marc and Chandler expire (and can both be traded in theory, if you buy the expiring contracts have value philosophy).

On 1/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Grizz&Grind said:

I think you can also have the highest respect and admiration for Marc and Mike and realize that the best move for the franchise right now is to trade both.

The best move for the franchise is to get off $90M in contracts by the end of next season.

This thread title is the exact opposite of what they need to do.

If Marc/Mike are both on the roster at the end of the season, it will be a disaster.

BUT, if you are going to keep one for sure, then it should be Marc. Trade Conley for whatever assets you can get, then you still get off the $90M in total at the end of next season as both Marc and Chandler expire (and can both be traded in theory, if you buy the expiring contracts have value philosophy).

It's a disaster only if someone has a mythical perspective on what they will fetch on the trade market given the difficulty in matching contracts.  It's just reality, just like the last two offseasons of meh signings.

It's not a disaster, especially given their contract situations, and it all depends on what the value coming back is.

Any deal that requires the Grizzlies give up future draft picks is not a deal I want them to do.

I also hesitate to do any deal that brings back longer term contracts, but I don't rule them all out.  Again it depends on the deal.

A lot (not all) of the deals proposed here I just look at and try to find a reason why the other team would do that deal unless they were also getting Grizzlies draft picks.

13 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's a disaster only if someone has a mythical perspective on what they will fetch on the trade market given the difficulty in matching contracts.  It's just reality, just like the last two offseasons of meh signings.

It's not a disaster, especially given their contract situations, and it all depends on what the value coming back is.

Any deal that requires the Grizzlies give up future draft picks is not a deal I want them to do.

I also hesitate to do any deal that brings back longer term contracts, but I don't rule them all out.  Again it depends on the deal.

A lot (not all) of the deals proposed here I just look at and try to find a reason why the other team would do that deal unless they were also getting Grizzlies draft picks.

It's a disaster if you're still sitting on all that money WHILE also still "trying" to win (the exact opposite of what they need to be doing), which is what having both on the roster would mean...you're not going to sit them both and try to lose...and it sends the wrong message publicly to a lot of the fans as well. And if the media think Marc's moodiness is already hampering the locker room now, wait until he's on the roster after February 7.

I see your points, but I simply disagree on this.

5 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

It's a disaster if you're still sitting on all that money WHILE also still "trying" to win (the exact opposite of what they need to be doing), which is what having both on the roster would mean...you're not going to sit them both and try to lose...and it sends the wrong message publicly to a lot of the fans as well. And if the media think Marc's moodiness is already hampering the locker room now, wait until he's on the roster after February 7.

I see your points, but I simply disagree on this.

So would you be willing to give up draft picks to get rid of them?

8 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

So would you be willing to give up draft picks to get rid of them?

Probably not, depends on the return obviously, but just like you're not convinced the Grizzlies wouldn't have to include picks, I'm not convinced of the opposite.

I firmly believe there are takers for Marc and Mike without giving up picks. Now, the deals may not be stellar, but that's just the way it is at this point. You take what you can get and move on.

But I understand a point someone made on Twitter too - it's easy to say, dump Mike and Marc for whatever you can get and rebuild, but a lot of those in the front office are trying to keep their jobs and most likely get fired in a rebuild, etc...so, I understand that none of these decisions are easy all around.

The main 2 issues for the Grizzlies are the 2021 unprotected draft pick we owe Boston.

Giving a top 3 pick to Boston would be devastating for this franchise.

Conley and Gasol are difficult to trade because of CAP matching. You don't want to eat 2 contracts longer than Gasol's for a mid 1st round pick.