With so much dysfunction going on with this team, I think most of us realize that Chris Wallace is the main source of this (or the figurehead who will take the brunt of the ire). Why not not just stand pat on Mike and Marc, change GMs and then make a decision on Mike, Marc and the draft? If we allow Wallace to be involved (in whatever capacity) of trading Mike and Marc and then turn around and fire him, how does that help this franchise? I realize that this may noy be 100% Wallace and that he may be a fall guy or doing things at the direction of Pera, but hey, he wasn't making the best decisions before Pera either and was on shaky ground in boston if i remember correctly. I think he has had a good deal of input in the decision making or maybe he's just a glutton for punishment and he knows nothing. Either way, he needs to be gone first, then make a decision on the coach, make a decision on Mike and Marc, and make a decision on the draft.

Time is running out with only two weeks left before the deadline, and Pera is the one going to make the trades of Mike and Marc anyways so Wallace still being the GM or not is not an issue and not something we need to deal with right now. However I fully expect him to be gone in the offseason and probably before the draft.

I think the concept of listening to trade offers is wise. I'm unsure the present front office will be able to get what they want in a deal. 

10 minutes ago, oldmanGrizz said:

I don't believe that Wallace will have anything to do with trading Mike and/or Marc, other than maybe informing the media about it.

9 minutes ago, Grizball said:

Time is running out with only two weeks left before the deadline, and Pera is the one going to make the trades of Mike and Marc anyways so Wallace still being the GM or not is not an issue and not something we need to deal with right now. However I fully expect him to be gone in the offseason and probably before the draft.

That seems to have become a popular meme or refrain on this board but I'm not sure if we have any evidence to support that he's not making the decisions (nor do we have evidence that he is). I'm just saying he's teh GM, the face of the decisions and he made bade decisions before as well, but he will be the fall guy rightfully so. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think the concept of listening to trade offers is wise. I'm unsure the present front office will be able to get what they want in a deal. 

Of course they should always listen to offers but why would any team give them an offer to blow their socks off now after Wallace has made it publicly known that they are willing to trade them? I would think they woul dhave gotten better offers when teams felt they had to pry them away. Now it seems like the team wants to go in a different direction, wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot of trash offers. 

4 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Of course they should always listen to offers but why would any team give them an offer to blow their socks off now after Wallace has made it publicly known that they are willing to trade them? I would think they woul dhave gotten better offers when teams felt they had to pry them away. Now it seems like the team wants to go in a different direction, wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot of trash offers. 

And true or not Wallace is seen as having a "Dead Man Walking" sign hanging from his neck, so I'm sure other GMs will try to exploit the situation.

11 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I agree. Having it come out publicly hurts the Grizzlies a bit. It all depends on how much teams looking to strengthen a playoff run believe Conley or Gasol can get them further down that path. 

We should note that the Grizzlies didn't announce they are listening to offers. Woj reported it so everyone takes it as fact. I agree that the team is likely listening to offers. However, the fact that they are listening doesn't meant they are actively shopping them nor does it mean the team was the initiator of the rumors. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Yep. Mostly because they don't know a good deal - they either get fleeced (the usual result) or try to fleece (LOL), but they don't know what a good/fair deal is.

They bungled a deal for Oubre (who would've been a really nice gunslinger for this team), and were pure idiots regarding Tyreke last season, but considering how quickly they tossed aside their high second round picks for Holiday, it's no surprise that they didn't value the Nuggets offer or Boston's offer.

I am done with trusting Wallace having anything to do with our future, including with respect to Mike/Marc. and if the theory is true that Pera is driving all of the FO decisions, maybe we need to get local owners to try and buy him out. easier said than done I realize. 

I don't see them making it pass trade deadline.  This leak came from FO and you don't do that unless you fully intend on moving them. 

Common refrain from this summer was that if we are headed for rebuild that Marc would probably be dealt.  It was always a big task to try to remain competitive while trying to prepping for next era.   So of course we failed. 

Personally, i am ready to move on from Marc.   I don't like the idea of him being able to pick up his option or getting extension to stick around longer.    Removing him signals that we are seriously going into rebuild. 

23 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't see them making it pass trade deadline.  This leak came from FO and you don't do that unless you fully intend on moving them. 

Common refrain from this summer was that if we are headed for rebuild that Marc would probably be dealt.  It was always a big task to try to remain competitive while trying to prepping for next era.   So of course we failed. 

Personally, i am ready to move on from Marc.   I don't like the idea of him being able to pick up his option or getting extension to stick around longer.    Removing him signals that we are seriously going into rebuild. 

You don't see it, because it is what you want. my concern has become more around who is leading the ship and do we trust them to make decisions about the future of this franchise any more. And I can't say that I have any trust in Wallace or Pera to make the right decision about either of these guys. 

Wallace wouldn't accept two 2nds for a partial season rental of Tyreke.

He's not just going to accept anything for two guys who mean a great deal to the fan base/franchise and 2 guys that actually want to be in Memphis.

I'm not saying he's not listening, but there I don't think the franchise is hanging the Clearance tag on them either.

I think the offer will need to be solid.

And just to throw this in there, given the way the Warriors are playing with Boogie, I don't see anyone in the West willing to give up anything to get Conley this year (off-season...maybe).  So look to the East and the few candidates out there that have a purpose to draft him.

22 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You mean like Tyreke? :P

On Vernon show, Mike Wallace made a good point.  If we did the deals we were linked to with Oubre and Rivers.  

There is no way we would be this bad.  Lineup would be mike- austin- kyle - Jaren - Gasol with Oubre as 6th man.  

That wouldve been enough to give up the pick this season.  Not sure it wouldve gotten us to playoffs tho.

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

On Vernon show, Mike Wallace made a good point.  If we did the deals we were linked to with Oubre and Rivers.  

There is no way we would be this bad.  Lineup would be mike- austin- kyle - Jaren - Gasol with Oubre as 6th man.  

That wouldve been enough to give up the pick this season.  Not sure it wouldve gotten us to playoffs tho.

from day one the rotations should of been

conley/carter

dbrooks/temple

slmo/parsons

jjj/green

gasol/?

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Prob would have missed the playoffs still but I would have felt better about it. 

8 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Austin Rivers has been trash since he moved to where ever he is now Oubre his done a little more in his new home

5 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Austin Rivers has been trash since he moved to where ever he is now Oubre his done a little more in his new home

Rivers sucks but he can shoot some nights. The real question is he doing more than Holiday? 

Oubre would still have been nice for us. 

3 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Rivers sucks but he can shoot some nights. The real question is he doing more than Holiday? 

Oubre would still have been nice for us. 

Yep and he wouldve atleast been a scoring threat.  That is enough to give Jaren Mike and Marc more room to operate.   

Rivers may be trash but Garrett and Mack have been toxic waste. Lol

Dunno if it's been posted but teams have been interested more in Green/Temple than anyone else:

‎https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/teams-calling-about-grizzlies-green-temple.html

‎Which is all the more reason to flip them to teams like the Magic or Hornets, maybe include Parsons, then wait till the offseason to decide on Mike and Marc. Hopefully there'll be a new gm in place by then. And even tho we are absolute dog poop right now, I think the teams goal remains the same; get out of that pick debt asap. It's still doable.‎

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Dunno if it's been posted but teams have been interested more in Green/Temple than anyone else:

‎https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/teams-calling-about-grizzlies-green-temple.html

‎Which is all the more reason to flip them to teams like the Magic or Hornets, maybe include Parsons, then wait till the offseason to decide on Mike and Marc. Hopefully there'll be a new gm in place by then. And even tho we are absolute dog poop right now, I think the teams goal remains the same; get out of that pick debt asap. It's still doable.‎

January 25th 2019 at 1:48pm CST by Arthur Hill

The Grizzlies are making Mike Conley and Marc Gasol available for trades, but there’s more interest in two other Memphis players, according to Sean Deveney of Sporting News.

Sources tell Deveney the Grizzlies are getting more calls about power forward JaMychal Green and veteran guard Garrett Temple, with the Trail Blazers and Hornets especially interested. Green ($7,666,667) and Temple ($8MM) both have expiring contracts.

“(The Grizzlies) want picks. They want to rebuild,” an unidentified executive said to Deveney. “They’ve given away a lot in the draft, and they need to find ways to get that back. A guy like Green can have a role on any team as a rebounder, and he’s been better offensively. A guy like Temple can come in and help anyone.”

Memphis owes this year’s first-round pick to the Celtics (top-eight protected) and its second-rounder to the Bulls. The team may get a second-round pick from Boston, but it’s protected from spots 31 through 55, which means it will only convey if the Celtics have a top-five record. The Grizzlies are also sending their 2020 second-rounder to Chicago or Houston and their 2021 second-round choice to Sacramento.

Trading Temple and Green, even if only for second-round picks, could help fill some of that void as the Grizzlies embark on a rebuilding plan, Deveney notes that the team still has hopes of dealing both players in return for a first-rounder.

Memphis has gained little traction in the market for Gasol or Conley because of age and contract status. Gasol, who has a $25.5MM player option for next season, will turn 34 next week and is no longer considered an elite defender. Deveney suggests the Grizzlies may have to take back a player with significant contract to move Gasol, such as Charlotte’s Nicolas Batum, who is owed $52MM over the next two seasons.

Conley is having a strong season after returning from last year’s heel surgery, but he’s also in his 30s and has two years and $67MM left on his contract. Deveney suggests that the Pacers might have been interested before Victor Oladipo‘s season-ending injury, but salary matching would force them to part with Darren Collison, Tyreke Evans and either Doug McDermott or Cory Joseph, leaving the team with little depth.

So trade Temple and Green to recoup the second round picks we blew on Justin Holiday for no reason?

Nothing like a good Chris Wallace special.

I would do the Marc deal with Charlotte and take back Batum.    I keep on saying that any move of Marc will REQUIRE us to take back bad salary.    Do a swap of Batum + pick for Marc  then do a second deal of Justin Holiday for Malik Monk.   

Then go push to make that deal with DAL for DSJr,  Wes Matthews,  and Dwight Powell for Mike. 

DO NOT STAND PAT.    The longer Mike and Marc are around the longer we will be directionless.   Keeping Marc around risks him picking up that 25m option AND keeping us locked into his play style.  

THEN go move Garrett and JaM for whatever returns the best picks.  

On 1/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

On 1/25/2019 at 5:56 PM, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

from day one the rotations should of been

conley/carter

dbrooks/temple

slmo/parsons

jjj/green

gasol/?

I think the honest view is that this team needed more than tweaks, but that's all we did - have been doing - for several seasons now.  We got what I would consider a best case scenario of an offseason, and it just wasn't enough; we were in too far a hole in talent to make the playoffs this year.  Mike and Marc are not enough to carry a team - there's a reason we had a "core 4" during our glory years.

But as to the poster's original thought - a new GM should be executing these deals.  So waiting until the offseason is probably a wise move, IF we are getting a new GM.  And that same IF can be applied to how long we can expect to be a bad team.  A new GM isn't a guarantee for success, but if you really boil it down to gravy, the biggest, best move that we can probably owe strictly to Chris Wallace's influence was signing Tony Allen.  And while that was a good move that paid off far beyond it had any reason to, everything else that brought us the "core 4" was actually derided or disdained at the time.  And we can't really say we've had much success finding complimentary talent to those 4 guys.  And now we're down to 2 of them, several years later.

It's past time to give someone else a chance to see where they can take the team.