The Stro Show

Memphis signs Bruno Caboclo to a 10-day

23 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Okay.  Hey I want Bruno to do well for us too, and if his shot comes around he could be a big help.  It just seems like there are a lot of people on these boards who are getting overly excited about him when he really hasn't shot well at all, but he's looking pretty good shooting tonight.

He has a lot of potential, some guys just don't have it. I thing I see bad against him is the guy he is guarding pretty much gets the step on him but I think most of the guys he has been playing against, the length of his arms let him get away with it but it is going to be a different story in the big show, he's going to have start sooner. Austin Daye did that but he could get away with it because he was 7 feet tall.

I like his hustle, he is a good addition for the team. His handles and catches are bad though, hopefully he improves that over summer

On 2/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Speaking of practice.   Tony Allen on Vernon show mentioned that practice performance has very little to do with which guys gets minutes (take that Chip3  lol).    He was recalling his first year with Grizz and being stuck behind Xavier and others.  Even tho he was killing them in practice regularly.   Tony insinuated rotation decisions are more political than simply by who performs in practice.  

I do hope he improves his game to where he can be a good SF too. 

If that is true then this team is in far worse shape than I imagined. 

Of course hearing that Tony believes he is better than other players is nothing new either. 

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Of course hearing that Tony believes he is better than other players is nothing new either. 

* plus one two hand floor slap 

* part snarl . more sneer

FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE 

😉

( maybe a missed layup or two - but still ... ALL HEART ! )

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I really encourage posters here to listen to "Tony Tuesdays" on Vernon show.  He drops lots of gems if you are listening closely. 

5 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Bruno already playing disinterested.

I didn't see the game last night. What happened with Bruno? Why did he have so few minutes? 

He's had some great games for us recently, and looks like a real rotation player (at least borderline). 

11 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

I didn't see the game last night. What happened with Bruno? Why did he have so few minutes? 

He's had some great games for us recently, and looks like a real rotation player (at least borderline). 

I'm not sure.  It might just be that Bruno, CJ Miles and Parsons are pretty much manning the SF position, and whichever one is playing best that night will get the late minutes, and this past game it was Miles.  I also think the matchup allowed MC and AB to be out there with Delon Wright or Holiday for some extended time at SF, and that is not always the case.

please donot get over excited about Bruno he may be a good roll player for the grizzlies 

the only reason way he is playing how ,the grizzlies season is over 

3 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not sure.  It might just be that Bruno, CJ Miles and Parsons are pretty much manning the SF position, and whichever one is playing best that night will get the late minutes, and this past game it was Miles.  I also think the matchup allowed MC and AB to be out there with Delon Wright or Holiday for some extended time at SF, and that is not always the case.

Bruno's been starting at PF since Rabb's heel or foot or whatever issue he was having.  Last night his defense was bad, or halfhearted.  Even Brevin commented that the kind of defense he was playing would get him a quick seat on the bench, and it did.

I do hope Bruno develops for us but I don't understand everyone's fascination with him.  The only real asset he seems to have is his length, but that doesn't make you a basketball player.  His shooting is closer to Justin Holiday's than anything I'd like.  He doesn't really seem to have a great feel for the game, yet today I saw an article saying he could be like Giannis Antetokounmpo for us.  I don't know where anyone could possibly be seeing that.  I hope he starts learning quickly so he can help the team, but he's definitely a project.

52 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Bruno's been starting at PF since Rabb's heel or foot or whatever issue he was having.  Last night his defense was bad, or halfhearted.  Even Brevin commented that the kind of defense he was playing would get him a quick seat on the bench, and it did.

I do hope Bruno develops for us but I don't understand everyone's fascination with him.  The only real asset he seems to have is his length, but that doesn't make you a basketball player.  His shooting is closer to Justin Holiday's than anything I'd like.  He doesn't really seem to have a great feel for the game, yet today I saw an article saying he could be like Giannis Antetokounmpo for us.  I don't know where anyone could possibly be seeing that.  I hope he starts learning quickly so he can help the team, but he's definitely a project.

I think he would do better at the 3.  Playing him at PF is negating his only real advantage which is his insane wingspan.      JB lack of maximizing the young guys he has is the reason i don't want him to remain coach during rest of this rebuild.  

For a 10 days contract first, he is not bad. But he is far from beeing able to be an asset for us. His shoot is not well enough. But he is young and we can keep it and he may improved and be a good surprise in the future.

Bruno certainly has length that you certainly can't teach. Obviously he's a stretch 4 (just because he doesn't play in the paint), but that's the way the league is trending. He's only shooting 30% from 3, but he does have a pretty good looking shot, so I believe he can improve that. Honestly, I'd like to see him in the post a little bit more and driving/cutting a lot more. Like I said, he has incredible length, he needs to use that length to finish around the rim. Obviously he's still raw, but if you can just limit his game to spot up 3s, straight line drives/cuts to the basket, or just passing the ball he has the physical tools to be good. He certainly doesn't need to be trying to create plays in the PNR, coming off screens to shoot 3s, or trying to create and facilitate, but if you keep it simple with him that will help him be successful. Right now he essentially only hovers around the 3 point arc, when he should certainly be using that length to go get offensive rebounds. 

13 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

For a 10 days contract first, he is not bad. But he is far from beeing able to be an asset for us. His shoot is not well enough. But he is young and we can keep it and he may improved and be a good surprise in the future.

He may be young, but he is now in his 4th year, and if it was only skill development, there may be reason for optimism, but it may be an effort issue as well. I don't know.

I know sometimes it takes a while for a player to finally get it ( Demarre Carroll, James Johnson, MoSpeights) so I really don't know, but he has a few weeks to figure it out or else it will be another name on the roster next year.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

He may be young, but he is now in his 4th year, and if it was only skill development, there may be reason for optimism, but it may be an effort issue as well. I don't know.

I know sometimes it takes a while for a player to finally get it ( Demarre Carroll, James Johnson, MoSpeights) so I really don't know, but he has a few weeks to figure it out or else it will be another name on the roster next year.

The Grizzlies gave him a multi-year deal. I hope the team has an option on whether or not to keep him.  

if Bruno turns out a second coming of  james Johnson  then I will be happy . james Johnson/x grizzlies is a great rollplayer

3 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm thinking the same thing. This is his 5th pro season. He has 53 NBA and 142 G league games under his belt. If he doesn't play with urgency now, he never will. Toronto, Sactown, Houston (only a 10 day summer contract) and now the Grizzlies. The new car smell has worn off with me.

i think i read that effort was his biggest issue in TOR. either way a team that has mostly developed guys  has me a bit worried that it will ever fully click for bruno , he's got lot's of tools and if it ever clicks he could be something nice .

3 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I'm thinking the same thing. This is his 5th pro season. He has 53 NBA and 142 G league games under his belt. If he doesn't play with urgency now, he never will. Toronto, Sactown, Houston (only a 10 day summer contract) and now the Grizzlies. The new car smell has worn off with me.

I totally agree then. He is not a newbie and as you say, if he dont take his chance now, he will prpbably never will.  Hopefully the remaining games will allow him to get his place in next year team.

5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Generally I agree, but I do think of DeMarre Carrol who really didn't become a major contributor until he was 27 in year 5 and on his 5th team in Atlanta, and had been dumped by Grizzlies, waived by Rockets and Nuggets and limped through time in Atlanta.

We all know the stories on Hassan Whiteside, James Johnson and others, but I also know those guys are the exceptions and in a small minority.  I don't want to write Bruno off yet, especially if the strength of this coaching staff is player development (it ain't diagraming plays after a timeout, that's for sure), so I have hope in Bruno that will last until the decision needs to be made regarding guaranteeing his contract.  

At that point, if he hasn't shown significant improvement, good luck to him.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:27 AM, Grizzled Vet said:

Generally I agree, but I do think of DeMarre Carrol who really didn't become a major contributor until he was 27 in year 5 and on his 5th team in Atlanta, and had been dumped by Grizzlies, waived by Rockets and Nuggets and limped through time in Atlanta.

We all know the stories on Hassan Whiteside, James Johnson and others, but I also know those guys are the exceptions and in a small minority.  I don't want to write Bruno off yet, especially if the strength of this coaching staff is player development (it ain't diagraming plays after a timeout, that's for sure), so I have hope in Bruno that will last until the decision needs to be made regarding guaranteeing his contract.  

At that point, if he hasn't shown significant improvement, good luck to him.

I think you need to give Bruno one offseason to see how he works on his game by himself and with the coaching staff. You can't properly assess that in the middle of the season. I'm not very optimistic but hey, it's not like he has a Wiggins sized contract.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I think you need to give Bruno one offseason to see how he works on his game by himself and with the coaching staff. You can't properly assess that in the middle of the season. I'm not very optimistic but hey, it's not like he has a Wiggins sized contract.

I agree with this.

His play looks too casual / lazy to me.  If he can't ramp it up and play with more purpose and intensity, then he's not worth keeping beyond his contract.

he looks a ton better compared to his rookie year though.

If we are able to mold him into a solid rotation player, then its a good signing.

Guy is just turning 24, still has time.

Bruno's length is only good for picking things from tall shelves. On the basketball court he looks timid and plays small. Sure he has the occasional block because of his length but hardly enough to warrant any real consideration. 

Another guy that will bounce back to the G League or overseas soon.