The Stro Show

Memphis signs Bruno Caboclo to a 10-day

On 1/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, Rdk4121 said:

Don't get me wrong, I think Kornet could be decent/good. But, there's no way they are going to do it. Temple averages 10.4 PPG, THJ averages 19.5 PPG. I think it might be better to try two different deals, mainly to get picks or young players back. 

You know why part of the reason the Knicks suck? Because their leading scorer shoots below 40% from the field. Sure he averages 19.5 ppg, but we are all enlightened enough these days to know that efficiency is very important.

6 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

You know why part of the reason the Knicks suck? Because their leading scorer shoots below 40% from the field. Sure he averages 19.5 ppg, but we are all enlightened enough these days to know that efficiency is very important.

To be fair, if the knicks didn't suck/he had a better supporting cast, he would most likely be more efficient. He's essentially the only go to scorer, so he takes all the shots. He might average less on a better team, but he could most likely shoot it more efficiently. At the same toekn, it's not like Temple is the model of consistency or efficiency. Plus, he's just a rental for a bad team. If we are going young, it might not make sense to get THJ anyway, not cause he's old, but he would certainly take developmental time from whoever we get. 

2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

To be fair, if the knicks didn't suck/he had a better supporting cast, he would most likely be more efficient. He's essentially the only go to scorer, so he takes all the shots. He might average less on a better team, but he could most likely shoot it more efficiently. At the same toekn, it's not like Temple is the model of consistency or efficiency. Plus, he's just a rental for a bad team. If we are going young, it might not make sense to get THJ anyway, not cause he's old, but he would certainly take developmental time from whoever we get. 

The Knicks don't want Temple for his ability. They want him for his contract. They are trying to give away Hardaway to anyone that will offer an expiring contract. The Knicks want cap space to chase Durant. So it doesn't matter if Temple is good or efficient. Hardaway isn't worth taking on the money. For anyone to do it, the Knicks will have to throw in young players or picks.

And some of you thought the Knicks wouldn't have to give away young players for another team to take these crappy contracts. They just gave away a potential star.

1 hour ago, lsugrizzfan said:

And some of you thought the Knicks wouldn't have to give away young players for another team to take these crappy contracts. They just gave away a potential star.

They gave away a player who had made it known he was leaving when his contract was up and is coming off of a major knee injury for a potential star in Smith and two future #1 picks. I’d hardly call that giving him away.

12 hours ago, chipc3 said:

They gave away a player who had made it known he was leaving when his contract was up and is coming off of a major knee injury for a potential star in Smith and two future #1 picks. I’d hardly call that giving him away.

You obviously think way higher of Smith than I do. Nothing Smith has shown says he can be a star. He has a ton of athletic ability. Maybe the light comes on and he finally learns how to play basketball. Then he could be a star. I'm not convinced that will happen.

And two future #1s from a team that will probably be good going forward isn't worth a guy who has actually shown that he can be not just a star but a superstar. Also why not give up smaller assets to move the contracts? Then move Prozingis for a haul. His value around the league is still much higher than Dennis Smith.

Regardless, the Knicks had to include a young asset to get rid of the contracts. Some people on this board were saying that the Knicks could trade them straight up for expirings. That was never gonna happen.

7 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

You obviously think way higher of Smith than I do. Nothing Smith has shown says he can be a star. He has a ton of athletic ability. Maybe the light comes on and he finally learns how to play basketball. Then he could be a star. I'm not convinced that will happen.

And two future #1s from a team that will probably be good going forward isn't worth a guy who has actually shown that he can be not just a star but a superstar. Also why not give up smaller assets to move the contracts? Then move Prozingis for a haul. His value around the league is still much higher than Dennis Smith.

Regardless, the Knicks had to include a young asset to get rid of the contracts. Some people on this board were saying that the Knicks could trade them straight up for expirings. That was never gonna happen.

DSJ=PG version of stromile swift. Does that help clarify it?

8 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Some of the geniuses on this board wanted to give up real assets to get Tim Hardaway. Meanwhile the Knicks packaged their best player in a decade just to get rid of his contract.

What does that tell you about this message board's GM acumen?

SO back on topic.... Caboclo - are we going to be able to keep him? 

What's the word salary cap gurus?

7 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

SO back on topic.... Caboclo - are we going to be able to keep him? 

What's the word salary cap gurus?

Believe Herrington has tweeted that they would at least need to make one small trade in order to accommodate and not cross the luxury tax...or something like that.

48 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Believe Herrington has tweeted that they would at least need to make one small trade in order to accommodate and not cross the luxury tax...or something like that.

Can we send Jam Green out?  Should have value to a contender as a third big who can get 8/5 in short order.  Although he usually gets you 8 and 5 in "starting minutes" too.  Shelvin Mack to a contender that needs an emergency third string point guard would work, too.  If I could get some cash and a mid 2nd rounder for BOTH of those guys I would be happy.  Neither figure into the future.  Neither figure into the PRESENT, either, for that matter.

Bruno gets 2nd 10-day which means....?

A- Grizzlies want to give him an opportunity to showcase himself for 5 games  so that another team will sign him after the ASB.

B - Grizzlies have a trade in place that sends out more salary than they are bringing back, and signing Bruno in February is part of the plan.

C - Grizzlies have no deals in place, hope to see more on Bruno, and hope he will still be available in March, when they can finally afford him.

Or

D- There is no plan.... Grizzlies always sign 10 day guys, so whatever.

15 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Bruno gets 2nd 10-day which means....?

A- Grizzlies want to give him an opportunity to showcase himself for 5 games  so that another team will sign him after the ASB.

B - Grizzlies have a trade in place that sends out more salary than they are bringing back, and signing Bruno in February is part of the plan.

C - Grizzlies have no deals in place, hope to see more on Bruno, and hope he will still be available in March, when they can finally afford him.

Or

D- There is no plan.... Grizzlies always sign 10 day guys, so whatever.

All of the above.

I don't mind if we sign Bruno for the rest of the season.  His length is a plus on the defensive end of the court.  But some folks are expecting an awful lot.  He is shooting 28% from the field and 22% from three point range.  I hope he can improve on that and maybe become a solid bench role player, but unlike some folks around here I'm not expecting lightning in a bottle.  He was most likely let go by the Raptors and Rockets for a reason.

He needs to quit running away or falling away from his 3s. Just go straight up and shoot the ball. He's got good form, just is always a shade off balance, and mostly by his own doing.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:20 AM, Grizzfan7979 said:

Some of the geniuses on this board wanted to give up real assets to get Tim Hardaway. Meanwhile the Knicks packaged their best player in a decade just to get rid of his contract.

What does that tell you about this message board's GM acumen?

You wouldn't have given up Temple and Jam for Hardaway Jr???

The biggest problem I have with bruno is how tentative he is around the rim. To be 6-9, with a 7-8 wingspan or something like that, he doesn't finish well around the rim. He needs to be way more aggressive. Obviously the 3 point shot could improve, but he has a pretty good stroke so I expect that it could/ will eventually. 

8 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

The biggest problem I have with bruno is how tentative he is around the rim. To be 6-9, with a 7-8 wingspan or something like that, he doesn't finish well around the rim. He needs to be way more aggressive. Obviously the 3 point shot could improve, but he has a pretty good stroke so I expect that it could/ will eventually. 

Right, I've noticed that even in a face up or fast break situation he will almost go to the goal, but he pulls it back out or passes.

He's still very raw in a lot of areas.

Interesting Nugget from Herrington article

https://www.dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-grizzlies/article/2836/Herrington-Grizzlies-trade-chatter-Kyle-AndersonOmri-Casspi-injuries-Bruno-Caboclos-return

The Return of Bruno (Caboclo)

Caboclo signed a second 10-day contact over the weekend and started in New York on Sunday. The Grizzlies might have held off until after the trade deadline, given the potential need for open roster spots to facilitate trades. But given the magnitude of recent injuries (with Anderson, Garrett Temple, and Dillon Brooks all out), they needed Caboclo on Sunday. Will Caboclo last through this current 10-day, or will the team have to end it early for trade purposes? Either way, you can’t sign a third 10-day, so the Grizzlies will have a decision to make on Caboclo after the deadline.

The returns, so far, have been pretty mixed. Caboclo shot 1-11 from the floor over the weekend. While he shot 3-4 from three-point range in last week’s memorable home win over the Pacers, Caboclo has shot 2-21 from three over his five appearances. Yikes. Will that cause the Grizzlies to think twice about re-upping Caboclo for not only the rest of this season but also giving him some guaranteed money to secure him for next? Maybe.

Despite his poor shooting, the Grizzlies have been +7.2 points per 100 possessions with Caboclo on the floor (in games where they’ve gone 2-4), and have been particularly good with him defensively. Caboclo’s extreme length and relative youth (still 23) remains intriguing, as is the sense that the Grizzlies haven’t been able to put him in the best situation for his talents: The team views Caboclo as more of a “four” than a “three” and he probably makes more sense on a faster-paced team, which the Grizzlies are decidedly not. The Grizzlies have been playing Caboclo primarily as a slow-paced small forward. The Grizzlies’ roster makeup and style of play are likely to change significantly next season. Or maybe next week.  

I still don't know if he can dribble or slash but as a Stretch 4 he could be interesting.  So is Kyle going to be full-time SF going forward and does that mean they are moving Rabb to Center?  

Kyle has always been a SF for the Grizzlies and Rabb has always been played out of position at Center. 

36 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Interesting Nugget from Herrington article

https://www.dailymemphian.com/section/sportsmemphis-grizzlies/article/2836/Herrington-Grizzlies-trade-chatter-Kyle-AndersonOmri-Casspi-injuries-Bruno-Caboclos-return

The Return of Bruno (Caboclo)

Caboclo signed a second 10-day contact over the weekend and started in New York on Sunday. The Grizzlies might have held off until after the trade deadline, given the potential need for open roster spots to facilitate trades. But given the magnitude of recent injuries (with Anderson, Garrett Temple, and Dillon Brooks all out), they needed Caboclo on Sunday. Will Caboclo last through this current 10-day, or will the team have to end it early for trade purposes? Either way, you can’t sign a third 10-day, so the Grizzlies will have a decision to make on Caboclo after the deadline.

The returns, so far, have been pretty mixed. Caboclo shot 1-11 from the floor over the weekend. While he shot 3-4 from three-point range in last week’s memorable home win over the Pacers, Caboclo has shot 2-21 from three over his five appearances. Yikes. Will that cause the Grizzlies to think twice about re-upping Caboclo for not only the rest of this season but also giving him some guaranteed money to secure him for next? Maybe.

Despite his poor shooting, the Grizzlies have been +7.2 points per 100 possessions with Caboclo on the floor (in games where they’ve gone 2-4), and have been particularly good with him defensively. Caboclo’s extreme length and relative youth (still 23) remains intriguing, as is the sense that the Grizzlies haven’t been able to put him in the best situation for his talents: The team views Caboclo as more of a “four” than a “three” and he probably makes more sense on a faster-paced team, which the Grizzlies are decidedly not. The Grizzlies have been playing Caboclo primarily as a slow-paced small forward. The Grizzlies’ roster makeup and style of play are likely to change significantly next season. Or maybe next week.  

I still don't know if he can dribble or slash but as a Stretch 4 he could be interesting.  So is Kyle going to be full-time SF going forward and does that mean they are moving Rabb to Center?  

Apparently the G League team had him at 4/5 as well. If that's the case, he really needs to develop something in the post - just one go to move - a baby hook or something.

37 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Kyle has always been a SF for the Grizzlies and Rabb has always been played out of position at Center. 

Rabb has been lining up in both position but recently he has primarily been at PF.   Kyle has played PF in some lineups this season when Shelvin played SG next to Conley.  

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Rabb has been lining up in both position but recently he has primarily been at PF.   Kyle has played PF in some lineups this season when Shelvin played SG next to Conley.  

Rarely and not often enough to discuss. Kyle is the Grizzlies SF. Rabb has been slotted at a Center and is only finally getting a chance because the Grizzlies don't want to play Noah at the 4 and Green has been sucking, Jackson has been in foul trouble and all the other possibilities have been exhausted. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Rarely and not often enough to discuss. Kyle is the Grizzlies SF. Rabb has been slotted at a Center and is only finally getting a chance because the Grizzlies don't want to play Noah at the 4 and Green has been sucking, Jackson has been in foul trouble and all the other possibilities have been exhausted. 

Just showing you Kyle hasn't always  played SF for the Grizzlies and Rabb has played both.  Circumstances may have dictated it but it still remains true.   Besides my point was Kyle could be the PF going forward when Jaren transitions to the 5 full-time. 

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Just showing you Kyle hasn't always  played SF for the Grizzlies and Rabb has played both.  Circumstances may have dictated it but it still remains true.   Besides my point was Kyle could be the PF going forward when Jaren transitions to the 5 full-time. 

I don't see JJJ as a center but who knows what the front office is thinking.