The Stro Show

Memphis signs Bruno Caboclo to a 10-day

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2019/1/17/18187646/bruno-caboclo-ready-nba-toronto-raptors-raptors-905-rio-grande-valley-vipers

Although Caboclo was probably disappointed after getting waived by the Rockets, it definitely didn’t seem to affect him when he started to play with the RGV Vipers. In fact, those struggles he battled in those initial three years seemed to help Caboclo become a more focused player on both ends of the court. In fact, the 6’9 forward might stand as the most well-rounded player in the G League as he’s averaging 16 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 steals and 3 blocks on 51% from the field and 42% from beyond the arc on 5.6 attempts per game.

Definitely sounds like a 2way contract more so than a 10day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Definitely sounds like a 2way contract more so than a 10day

Get rid of Washburn and put the money into this guy. It might work out for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, I'd start him on Wednesday.

Might as well get an early start on kicking the tires on some guys.

If Bruno flames out, bring in Ron Baker/James Nunnally/insert player name here next. Etc.

This season is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron Mike said:

Dude is a poor man's Brandon Ingram.

But who knows

I'd take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd start him, run him 10 days, if he's good, sign him to another 10 day, if not, say goodbye and then invite the next 10 day to play max minutes.

The 3-5 year plan (rebuild) SHOULD begin NOW.

Everything should be geared toward it.

However, I'm sure we will see Shelvin playing more minutes than Jaren tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Iron Mike said:

Dude is a poor man's Brandon Ingram.

But who knows

I was struggling with something between Rodney Carney and Rudy Gay when it struck me that he seems a lot like Cleanthony Early did in college.

Probably a little of all of them in his game.

Seems a tad slow, but does have good size, good form on his shot, and good defensive instincts (to go along with that wingspan).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

I was struggling with something between Rodney Carney and Rudy Gay

Ouch.

So, going with a Memphis theme is he somewhat of a Shawne Williams type?  

Or, a broke man's James Worthy?

So, I shouldn't hold my breath on Brutal Debacolo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Ouch.

So, going with a Memphis theme is he somewhat of a Shawne Williams type?  

Or, a broke man's James Worthy?

So, I shouldn't hold my breath on Brutal Debacolo?

Hard to say - he does some good things for sure, but it's also G League, where Ivan Rabb and Austin Nichols and others have also done good things. He doesn't seem overly athletic either. Nice athlete, but not above average - not for his size anyway. He does get hot from deep and buries them, but so does Dusty Hannahs. He's interesting in that he's so young, has good measurables, and was a former first round pick, but then again, so was MarShon.

Don't think I answered your question, but I'm interested in seeing him play some minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Hard to say - he does some good things for sure, but it's also G League, where Ivan Rabb and Austin Nichols and others have also done good things. He doesn't seem overly athletic either. Nice athlete, but not above average - not for his size anyway. He does get hot from deep and buries them, but so does Dusty Hannahs. He's interesting in that he's so young, has good measurables, and was a former first round pick, but then again, so was MarShon.

Don't think I answered your question, but I'm interested in seeing him play some minutes.

So he's closer to being a Wenyen Gabriel than a Bruno Freak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy won't end up nothing. I reckon this was done before the FO finally realised that its over. Another shifting of deck chairs on the sinking Titanic move, like most of the others so far. If the FO don't change their mind about the divorce, then we will get back other players, and this guy will be forgotten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

This guy won't end up nothing. I reckon this was done before the FO finally realised that its over. Another shifting of deck chairs on the sinking Titanic move, like most of the others so far. If the FO don't change their mind about the divorce, then we will get back other players, and this guy will be forgotten

Odds are you are correct, but the NBA is also sometimes about fit and opportunity. A solid handful of guys have carved out nice careers after fine tuning their game in the G League or overseas. Never say never. This guy did have first round potential, even if he was very raw. I'd like to see him play a few minutes before tossing him into the dumpster with Chris Wallace's office belongings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally a brazilian in the Grizzlies, did not see that coming,  just like when he got drafted. He is a kid, and althought he will never be KD, he can become a great role player, maybe even a future starter. 

He is only 23, we should keep him around, give him time and see what you got. A frontcourt of Bruno/Jaren looks great in the paper, special if Caboclo can become learn some and become a point forward.

Althought he seems that will be a Rashad Lewis with defense type of player, 3D guy, I would allow him to devolop that area also, because that will expand more his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His 3 point stroke looks good; and he has quite a wingspan.  Active hands, and looks like a good rebounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep seeing people say he looks slow. Every report says he’s a plus athlete. He didn’t seem slow Friday when I was at the game. He’s ridiculously long for sure. His G league stats suggest he can defend. I’d like to keep him around through the end of the year and next just to see what he is. When your in rebuild, these are the gambles you should be taking, players with extraordinary gifts (his is length) that are still learning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 6-9 wing who is shooting 43% from three with his new team?

Sometimes a guy just needs a fresh start somewhere.  I say give the kid a chance.

(And I've never been one that's prone to "scrub love")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bruno Caboclo is an enigma, an outstanding physical specimen who stands 6’9”with a 7’7” wingspan.

Good lord!   Imagine a frontcourt of Bruno, Kyle (7'3' wingspan) , and Jaren (7'4'wingspan).    All freaking Arms!   Then have Justin Holiday(7'0' wingspan)  at the 2 our defense and versatility would be insane.   Of course we would need prime Allen Iverson at the PG in order to score any points on offense.    

You're talking about pounding the boards here. If they could get Double D back, that could be awesome. They would have 4 young guys to work with. I think 3J needs to learn how to shoot the running hook shot like Z did instead of trying to dive for the goal all the time. He got stuffed 2 or 3 times last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carter has got to shoot the ball better if he is going to ever be a player. I was cringing last night when Gasol passed him the ball and he missed the 3. I have no faith in him whatsoever and I know I was 1 of the guys who wanted him brought up because SM was shooting so badly. All the Grizz guards have played bad bad at times this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Carter has got to shoot the ball better if he is going to ever be a player. I was cringing last night when Gasol passed him the ball and he missed the 3. I have no faith in him whatsoever and I know I was 1 of the guys who wanted him brought up because SM was shooting so badly. All the Grizz guards have played bad bad at times this year.

yea his shot is awful.  Andrew Harrison levels without the bonus of getting to the line.    He is a hardworker so i have faith he can improve it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Carter has got to shoot the ball better if he is going to ever be a player. I was cringing last night when Gasol passed him the ball and he missed the 3. I have no faith in him whatsoever and I know I was 1 of the guys who wanted him brought up because SM was shooting so badly. All the Grizz guards have played bad bad at times this year.

His on-ball defense was very good though.  It's been a long time since I've seen a guard in this league move his feet to play defense the way that Jevon does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now