Grizzfan7979

Our owed first rounder is now a sunk cost

5 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I see your reply above that you didn't know the facts.

The Grizzlies best shot at a title, the goal of the blow-it-uppers, was killed by that new FO, the clean sweep.

You make great arguments for your case, but you were unconsciously rewriting history to erase the best argument against it.

Its hard not to be affected by current politics, seeing the facts twisted 180. I don't mean to offend. I'm sure I do it myself. Its a sign of the times.

Wow Chris. I admitted my mistake but it seems like you want to harp on it after i already admitted that I was wrong. So I guess you think that you are a great GM and should keep your job huh? Let's be honest, the only reason you weren't involved in that trade is because you were banished from teh front office correct?

14 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Oh my bad. Doesn't change my opinion overall. He needs to be gone. 

Agreed. Just wanted to set the record straight. 

9 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I see your reply above that you didn't know the facts.

The Grizzlies best shot at a title, the goal of the blow-it-uppers, was killed by that new FO, the clean sweep.

You make great arguments for your case, but you were unconsciously rewriting history to erase the best argument against it.

Its hard not to be affected by current politics, seeing the facts twisted 180. I don't mean to offend. I'm sure I do it myself. Its a sign of the times.

ODK is a long-term poster who is highly respected. He's doesn't twist facts to fit his argument. He made a mistake on a factual matter, admitted his mistake and I for one believe him.

Wallace has been bi-polar in his time in Memphis. His first stint he was pretty good. He traded an unhappy Pau Gasol and got Marc Gasol back as well as a ton of cap space which was used to keep the team financially viable and able to acquire Zach Randolph for Quentin Richardson. He drafted Mike Conley (albeit less than a week after being hired so it wasn't like he really did a lot there). He signed Tony Allen away from Boston who wanted him to stay. 

However, since his return to the FO after the Levien years, he has been terrible. He's made bad trades (Jeff Green, Justin Holiday to name two topical ones), allowed players to walk away for nothing (Tyreke Evans, Tony Allen, Zach Randolph to name a few) and made a plethora of bad draft moves (trading the Clippers pick this season for Rade Zagoric and Deyonte Davis., Tony Wroten, Jordan Adams, Jarrell Martin). His coaching decisions have not been great either (firing Joerger, hiring Fizdale, hiring JB without interviewing anyone else). His good moves have been finding JaMychal Green in the D League, Garrett Temple for Davis and Ben McLemore (although we only had Ben because of a bad free agent signing by Wallace), drafting JJJ (who was the only top pick in this draft who would work out in Memphis) and Dillon Brooks.  

Wallace did great things for the team but it is time for him to step away permanently and put someone younger with fresh ideas in his place. 

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Wow Chris. I admitted my mistake but it seems like you want to harp on it after i already admitted that I was wrong. So I guess you think that you are a great GM and should keep your job huh? Let's be honest, the only reason you weren't involved in that trade is because you were banished from teh front office correct?

Well I tried, but it seems that you must get your panties in a wad.

I asked you why you repeatedly misstated the facts before you messaged that you didn't the facts. It had been pointed out to you in at least one another thread, so for all I knew you were doing it on purpose. I was honestly wondering why.

Calling me Chris is strange, but being bassackward about the worst FO stuff is stranger.

There are plenty of facts against the Wallace FO. Your view of "banished" _is_ a twist of the facts. Wallace would not have done that to the team that he had a major role in building.

29 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

ODK is a long-term poster who is highly respected. He's doesn't twist facts to fit his argument. He made a mistake on a factual matter, admitted his mistake and I for one believe him.

Wallace has been bi-polar in his time in Memphis. His first stint he was pretty good. He traded an unhappy Pau Gasol and got Marc Gasol back as well as a ton of cap space which was used to keep the team financially viable and able to acquire Zach Randolph for Quentin Richardson. He drafted Mike Conley (albeit less than a week after being hired so it wasn't like he really did a lot there). He signed Tony Allen away from Boston who wanted him to stay. 

However, since his return to the FO after the Levien years, he has been terrible. He's made bad trades (Jeff Green, Justin Holiday to name two topical ones), allowed players to walk away for nothing (Tyreke Evans, Tony Allen, Zach Randolph to name a few) and made a plethora of bad draft moves (trading the Clippers pick this season for Rade Zagoric and Deyonte Davis., Tony Wroten, Jordan Adams, Jarrell Martin). His coaching decisions have not been great either (firing Joerger, hiring Fizdale, hiring JB without interviewing anyone else). His good moves have been finding JaMychal Green in the D League, Garrett Temple for Davis and Ben McLemore (although we only had Ben because of a bad free agent signing by Wallace), drafting JJJ (who was the only top pick in this draft who would work out in Memphis) and Dillon Brooks.  

Wallace did great things for the team but it is time for him to step away permanently and put someone younger with fresh ideas in his place. 

IF we keep our top 8 protected pick I think the draft for us Wallace-Proof.  Not saying that there are 8 SUPERSTARS but the so-called "top" guys look like they could fit in well with a Jaren-centered core.  

It might be Zion then a few gaps then 10-15 guys where you wanna pick based on fit, intangibles, and other things since talent/tier is fairly similar.

CW missed the boat on stockpiling 2nd rounders.  He did the OPPOSITE with the Justin Holiday trade.  

I think the next few drafts are even more top-heavy than usual.  Maybe even fewer consolation prizes than we think.  More lotto landmines than we would be comfortable with, but talent, still, into the 2nd round.

All these next few drafts look like 1986 to me.  Legendary busts at the top after the meh Brad Daugherty then some legendary 2nd round picks (Dennis Rodman and Mark Price).  

I think you win the 2019 draft with a pick in the 5-8 range, a late first rounder, and two solid second round picks.  I also think you win in 2020, 2021, and 2022 with that strategy.  There might NOT be a Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, MJ, or a LeBron in the next few drafts.  The NBA's MEGA GOLDEN AGE may be ending.  We might have to approach these upcoming drafts like solid ABA drafts.  One or two "sure things" but with a lower floor than we might like, some flashy goofballs who sell tickets, and then deep with over-looked role player types.

4 hours ago, tangogriz said:

Well I tried, but it seems that you must get your panties in a wad.

I asked you why you repeatedly misstated the facts before you messaged that you didn't the facts. It had been pointed out to you in at least one another thread, so for all I knew you were doing it on purpose. I was honestly wondering why.

Calling me Chris is strange, but being bassackward about the worst FO stuff is stranger.

There are plenty of facts against the Wallace FO. Your view of "banished" _is_ a twist of the facts. Wallace would not have done that to the team that he had a major role in building.

Panties in a wad? For your information, I go straight commando even when I have the mud butt so there's no way I could get my panties in a wad.

Calm your turbo and chillax. 

What does “Wallace proof” mean to a GM who took Hasheem Thabeet over James Harden, Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans?

im not trying to be rude towards wallace, but how can this organization be sitting right here in this spot and be comfortable with this fo making the decisions which will direct our future for many years to come..?

these very soon upcoming decisions are somewhat crucial.

who knows...

maybe wallace is great and my head is in the sand..possible.

slim.

What do Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarre Carroll, Sam Young, Xavier Henry, Dominque Jones, Greivis Vasquez, Josh Selby, Tony Wroten, Jamaal Franklin, Janis Timma, Jordan Adams, Jarell Martin, Wade Baldwin and Wang Zhelin have in common?

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

What does “Wallace proof” mean to a GM who took Hasheem Thabeet over James Harden, Steph Curry and Tyreke Evans?

I pretty much like the next several guys in the draft after Zion.  Zion is the top guy then you have some super-solid consolation prizes... maybe even a CLASSIC "runner up" type but it could be too soon to tell.

Hunter, Reddish, Barrett, Bol Bol aka Bol Squared, Morant, and some others all look nice.  With Daniel Gafford being the only potential "meh" guy.  Kinda built like Jaren, possibly a better shot blocker, but with less shooting ability.  

So IF we have a pick in this draft it will either be top 3 or in that 6-8 range.  The options in BOTH parts of the lottery look good -- and would complement JJJ.

The only way CW could mess up would be to not play, and roll the dice on 2020 aka The Pervis Wiseman Draft.

2 hours ago, Gradey said:

What do Hasheem Thabeet, DeMarre Carroll, Sam Young, Xavier Henry, Dominque Jones, Greivis Vasquez, Josh Selby, Tony Wroten, Jamaal Franklin, Janis Timma, Jordan Adams, Jarell Martin, Wade Baldwin and Wang Zhelin have in common?

Speaking of Wroten, I think RJ Barrett aka The Nabisco Kid has some Wrotentential.  Or, maybe Barrett is Bo Kimble 2.0.  

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I kind of don't like 2 in this draft either -- not completely sold on RJ Barrett.  IF we do draft him I would like to keep Conley around a bit more as a stabilizing veteran influence.  RJ could ALSO let Kyle Anderson run some offense in order to let RJ be the first option and Jaren the 2nd option.

Although I would rather take a look at De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish.

1 hour ago, Memphisyank said:

We need to let the Celtics have this one, I dont  think there is a lot there outside of the duke guy. 

1 hour ago, Memphisyank said:

We need to let the Celtics have this one, I dont  think there is a lot there outside of the duke guy. 

We literally can't do it. We can't win our way out of the bottom 8. And we are trying.

8 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

We literally can't do it. We can't win our way out of the bottom 8. And we are trying.

I think that is the part people are missing.  We ARE trying to win.   if we blow it up and go into developing Jaren.  we have a better chance of accidentally winning more games. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I think that is the part people are missing.  We ARE trying to win.   if we blow it up and go into developing Jaren.  we have a better chance of accidentally winning more games. 

Or losing the lottery to the point that we're bumped out of the bottom 8. That would be unintentional comedy of the highest order.

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I cringe every time I think about that debacle.

17 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Or losing the lottery to the point that we're bumped out of the bottom 8. That would be unintentional comedy of the highest order.

Basically, 3 teams jump ahead of us in the lottery and we roll out another season of the Marc/Mike/Temple/Mack Show.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

26 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Basically, 3 teams jump ahead of us in the lottery and we roll out another season of the Marc/Mike/Temple/Mack Show.

12 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

4 teams can leapfrog us this year, the rules have changed. To be honest, that wouldn't be such a bad outcome. We convey our pick, sink like a stone next year, and shed $50M at the end of next season with a very high pick in the draft.