Grizzfan7979

Our owed first rounder is now a sunk cost

1 hour ago, Zappastache said:

What if we somehow got #1 and got Zion? Flattened odds make that possible, even with PHX and ATL taking as hard as they can :ph34r:

Wallace could still trade #1 pick to Boston for Terry Rozier & Aron Baynes or something like that

4 hours ago, Allen said:

2021 is the year that high school players are going to be allowed back into the draft so it will be the top college freshmen and the top high school prospects in that one. Should be loaded

So?

Does Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett have a brother?  Is there a Bol Bol Bol aka Triple Bol?

And if Chris Wallace has been heavily scouting high school sophomores then he should keep it to himself.

2 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Is next year's draft shaping up to be as bad as this one? I guess I won't feel as bad about this year if that's the case. 

What if we somehow got #1 and got Zion? Flattened odds make that possible, even with PHX and ATL taking as hard as they can :ph34r:

I think people are a bit misguided after this last draft. Most drafts don't have elite players beyond the top 3. Many are just 1 or 2 players drafts. I'm not sure the next two drafts are going to be necessarily horrible, just not very good.

It would be poetic justice if we ended up taking #1 over one of the tank-from-the-starting-line teams, but I've learned not to get my hopes too high.

Circling back around

Now who thinks we can guarantee ourselves a spot outside the bottom 8? Name me the 8 teams we'll be better than

It can't be done. Steer into the crash

I have no idea why Chris Wallace still has a job. Trading 1st round picks for Jeff Green and Jon Leuer? Nothing happens in a vacuum. This has been years in the making.

There is no excuse for the poor showing.  Mike and marc are healthy, but they are just not good enough.  That is a fact that has been obvious before zbo left. 

It wouldn't have been so bad if the grizz had traded them a few years back.  By waiting so long, the grizz now really have no good options.  A lot of grizz fans saw this coming a few years ago, yet the FO didn't?  They insisted on building a team around mike and marc, so failure is not a surprise.

The grizz will have to accept less in trades or let it play out another year or two after this year.  I'm really ok with accepting less.  We need to go back to the draft for a couple years now.

Grizz should be collecting draft picks yet they are still giving them away in trades.  

It’s not just the FO but our owner as well. They don’t want to rebuild, they don’t want to see years of low attendance and keep losing money.  They want to follow the footsteps of the Spurs. I think it all starts with Pera. As soon as he approves rebuilding, we will see Wallace getting fired and a new FO in place to trade away Marc and Mike to begin a new era.

16 minutes ago, Grizball said:

It’s not just the FO but our owner as well. They don’t want to rebuild, they don’t want to see years of low attendance and keep losing money.  They want to follow the footsteps of the Spurs. I think it all starts with Pera. As soon as he approves rebuilding, we will see Wallace getting fired and a new FO in place to trade away Marc and Mike to begin a new era.

Totally agree with this.  Pera is the problem.  If he was actually involved or even attended games; there is no way he wouldn't sign off on a blow up.    Pera becoming Marc's BFF is the worst thing that has happened in the last 5 years.    The only guy that should have ever made it post Tony and Zbo era was Mike.    But thanks to poor planning and mismanagement Mike should go too.  

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I have no idea why Chris Wallace still has a job. Trading 1st round picks for Jeff Green and Jon Leuer? Nothing happens in a vacuum. This has been years in the making.

Wallace also traded the 1st rounder that he got from the Clippers to Boston for Deyonta Davis & Rade Zagorac. Danny Ainge probably is giddy whenever he receives a phone call from Chris Wallace.

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Jason Levien traded Leuer for a 1st Rd pick not Wallace. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Pera becoming Marc's BFF is the worst thing that has happened in the last 5 years.   

The only guy that should have ever made it post Tony and Zbo era was Mike.    But thanks to poor planning and mismanagement Mike should go too.  

Yes

and

Yes

And now that the FO has waited so long, it's even harder to make those trades of your "team captains", and you risk getting even less in return.    Probably gonna make the down years even longer too.  Now mike and marc are older players, and their history is known around the nba.  Mike stays injured a lot and is average way too often.  Marc is overrated and selfish yet he does have skills, but he is not a team leader at all.    He is passive except for a few games here and there.  

The team has lacked direction for at least 3 years.

These are just more miscalculations by the FO.  

Pera isn't listening to the fans which i think is a miscalculation on his part.

Grizz need to clear out the big 3 contracts asap and then either go after a top free agent or two with a big contract to add to JJJ and build around them.  I think this route will most likely NOT work for the grizz situation.

The other and most likely best route is to hit the draft for a few years and build up the team roster with younger skilled 1st round talent (not 2nd round) .  Feature JJJ  as a main guy for now and then try to attract a big free agent or two to complete the team. 

Imo, before any true star free agent comes here, we have to make the team more attractive (on the floor and financially) to compliment their game.

There is a reason the star free agents are  not wanting to be part of the mike and marc show.  The biggest free agent they attracted was an injured chandler parsons.

9 minutes ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Yes

and

Yes

And now that the FO has waited so long, it's even harder to make those trades of your "team captains", and you risk getting even less in return.    Probably gonna make the down years even longer too.  Now mike and marc are older players, and their history is known around the nba.  Mike stays injured a lot and is average way too often.  Marc is overrated and selfish yet he does have skills, but he is not a team leader at all.    He is passive except for a few games here and there.  

The team has lacked direction for at least 3 years.

These are just more miscalculations by the FO.  

Pera isn't listening to the fans which i think is a miscalculation on his part.

Grizz need to clear out the big 3 contracts asap and then either go after a top free agent or two with a big contract to add to JJJ and build around them.  I think this route will most likely NOT work for the grizz situation.

The other and most likely best route is to hit the draft for a few years and build up the team roster with younger skilled 1st round talent (not 2nd round) .  Feature JJJ  as a main guy for now and then try to attract a big free agent or two to complete the team. 

Imo, before any true star free agent comes here, we have to make the team more attractive (on the floor and financially) to compliment their game.

There is a reason the star free agents are  not wanting to be part of the mike and marc show.  The biggest free agent they attracted was an injured chandler parsons.

YES i have said it on here somewhere before.   But the idea that Free Agents don't come here simply because Memphis isn't a big city isn't the sole factor in our FA failure.   OUR PLAYSTYLE ISN"T ATTRACTIVE.    We didn't turn down Austin Rivers - he prob turned us down.  Why would he choose a team that runs it's offense thru a moody halfhearted slowfooted Center that play at a snails pace when you can fly around the court jacking up 3s to your hearts content on a contender!    If you are an athletic wing why would you go to a methodical halfcourt offensive team with two "stars" that prob won't throw you the ball anyway.   When you can zip up and down the court scoring in transition to pad your stats on the other 29 teams???  

For years i incorrectly blamed the offensive pace on Zbo when the truth is it all cratered once Marc was allowed to have offense run thru him.  The year Marc was injured under Joerger was when i first noticed that Zbo wasn't the reason.    We were losing but scoring lots of points early on and started to get to .500 when Marc returned then our offense immediately went back to snail's pace and we continued winning.  

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Why do you continue to say this?

Yes, i agree grizztigerfan.

Gasol = low scoring offense when the ball has to be in his hands so much offensively even though he goes through long stretches NOT even looking at the rim.  He truly does not understand playing the game the right way.

Gasol has ran off at least one coach who actually helped his game and was showing him more lessons which included sitting him in the 4th quarter when he was being selfish.   That coach is gone now.

JB is gonna stay coach as long as he does what makes marc happy.  You can't run a team like that especially if that players doesn't really perform that great on the floor.

The grizz have lost several good players over the years who grew tired of gasol.  A most recent player would be tyreke evans.  Imo, there are guys currently on the team that don't respect or like playing with gasol.

A player like gasol should not be a leader/mentor to our younger future players, imo. 

Gasol is good when he's engaged but is too easy to take out of game. We should move him IF we can do it not taking long term money back. This roster is sunk. Move Marc. Move Mike for picks and less money back. Suck it up and use Chandler as an expiring next year for trade bait

We're going to be giving away a good draft pick. Accept it. 

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

No pick in 2021. The absolute worst case scenario is going to happen.

Worst case scenario it is top 1 protected.  I am doing a bit of research for the 2021 AND 2022 draft.  Evan Mobley looks like a stud, but only if he can be a KD type (freakishly tall/long small forward who can shoot) and not a "big".  

Could be a top heavy draft.

Tank NOW, give up the pick next year, and resume tanking for 2021.

Tanking is Best-Of-Five now.

OK, here it is. Back-to-back losses coming up. 

Bench Marc for the first one. He can save face by claiming it's his elbow owie, but really it will be JB telling him, "I need 100% effort every night or your *** is outta here and I'll bring in someone who will give me that, even if he's less skilled." 

Then start Marc for the second game. Bench him again as soon as he loafs. And keep an eye on that trade deadline. 

At this point there is no short-term move that would be wrong. We're screwed. Play the kids, see if they develop. 

If Parsons is sitting to make sure he retains his trade value, then why are we not sitting Mike and Marc for the same reason? 

Only hope short-term is to sink into the lottery, keep our pick, get lucky in the lottery draw, AND pick the right player.  

6 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Worst case scenario it is top 1 protected.  I am doing a bit of research for the 2021 AND 2022 draft.  Evan Mobley looks like a stud, but only if he can be a KD type (freakishly tall/long small forward who can shoot) and not a "big".  

Could be a top heavy draft.

Tank NOW, give up the pick next year, and resume tanking for 2021.

Tanking is Best-Of-Five now.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Its unprotected in 2021.

19 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Circling back around

Now who thinks we can guarantee ourselves a spot outside the bottom 8? Name me the 8 teams we'll be better than

It can't be done. Steer into the crash

Definitely these 5:
Atlanta
Chicago
New York
Cleveland
Phoenix

So we only need 3 out of these 9:
Washington
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Dallas
Brooklyn
Charlotte
Orlando
Detroit

I guess depends on who gets hurt and who comes to play.

46 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

Definitely these 5:
Atlanta
Chicago
New York
Cleveland
Phoenix

So we only need 3 out of these 9:
Washington
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
Dallas
Brooklyn
Charlotte
Orlando
Detroit

I guess depends on who gets hurt and who comes to play.

Yeah but two of those EC teams will make the playoffs so that eliminates them.

Also, Atlanta has been cranking it up a bit and figuring it out. Thats not even a guarantee imo. Scary thought that an intentionally tanking team is looking more competitive than a team attempting to make the playoffs.

11 hours ago, HPGrizz said:

Wallace also traded the 1st rounder that he got from the Clippers to Boston for Deyonta Davis & Rade Zagorac. Danny Ainge probably is giddy whenever he receives a phone call from Chris Wallace.

He's probably gonna trade Mike, Marc and 5 future first rd picks to Boston for Marcus Smart somehow

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Jason Levien traded Leuer for a 1st Rd pick not Wallace. 

Oh my bad. Doesn't change my opinion overall. He needs to be gone. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Yeah but two of those EC teams will make the playoffs so that eliminates them.

Also, Atlanta has been cranking it up a bit and figuring it out. Thats not even a guarantee imo. Scary thought that an intentionally tanking team is looking more competitive than a team attempting to make the playoffs.

And on cue, Atlanta takes it to Oklahoma.

About the low playoff threshold in the east, its also likely that a couple of the group of nine will hit the skids. So still 3 or 4 that we have to beat to make the goal.

11 hours ago, tangogriz said:

Why do you continue to say this?

I stand corrected Chris, sorry, didn't mean to offend you. 

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I stand corrected Chris, sorry, didn't mean to offend you. 

I see your reply above that you didn't know the facts.

The Grizzlies best shot at a title, the goal of the blow-it-uppers, was killed by that new FO, the clean sweep.

You make great arguments for your case, but you were unconsciously rewriting history to erase the best argument against it.

Its hard not to be affected by current politics, seeing the facts twisted 180. I don't mean to offend. I'm sure I do it myself. Its a sign of the times.