Grizzfan7979

Our owed first rounder is now a sunk cost

I didn't think we'd get here, but now our owed pick to Boston is a sunk cost.  I don't think we can even stay out of the bottom 8.

There are 7 non-playoff teams in the East. 2-3 of them will be ahead of us due to playing in the east and chasing a playoff spot

When I look at the Western conference, I think we are going to finish 2nd to last next to Phoenix

Of non-playoff West teams: Jazz, Pelicans won't tank. Mavericks won't tank because they owe their pick. Kings won't tank because they want to win

I guess the T-Wolves might. Best case, we finish 3rd from last in the West and there are 5 Eastern teams belows us, which puts us  . . .8th. So we don't covey and get worst possible outcome

We need to just tank now, this season can't be saved

Yes. The Grizzlies look like the #14 team in the WC. Very little chance that the Grizzlies have a better record than the Suns and all 7 EC non playoff teams just because one or two those 7 teams will have a better record (34-37 wins) due to playing each other.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yes. The Grizzlies look like the #14 team in the WC. Very little chance that the Grizzlies have a better record than the Suns and all 7 EC non playoff teams just because one or two those 7 teams will have a better record (34-37 wins) due to playing each other.

Yep. And once you realize that you realize the time is now to lean into the tank.

I mean, we're playing so bad we don't even have to try right now.

The Grizz desperately need to convey the 1st rounder this year, rather than giving the Celtics the #7 or #8 pick in 2020 or a top 5 pick in 2021.

14 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

The Grizz desperately need to convey the 1st rounder this year, rather than giving the Celtics the #7 or #8 pick in 2020 or a top 5 pick in 2021.

I think that it is what we all want. To give this pick up. But that will be hard to do.  Best case has becoming hoping this years pick and a few solid offseason moves is good enough to avoid bottom 6 next year. This franchise should put every chip it has into avoiding bottom 6 next year, whether that is stretching Parsons to get some spending money, signing Gasol for less or maybe trading him for another semi useful starter. Whatever it takes not to be bottom 6 in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I think that it is what we all want. To give this pick up. But that will be hard to do.  Best case has becoming hoping this years pick and a few solid free agent moves is good enough to avoid bottom 6 next year. This franchise should put every chip it has into avoiding bottom 6 next year, whether that is stretching Parsons to get some spending money, signing Gasol for less or maybe trading him for another semi useful starter. Whatever it takes not to be bottom 6 in 2020.

Yea I am moving towards being in favor of drafting a lottery wing now rather than completely falling off wagon in a year or two.    Reason being is that i believe the quicker we get Jaren a running mate the better.  

I heard Kyle's locker is right beside Jaren's.  I hope they are developing chemistry and kinship and that is a factor in Kyle seemingly making sure he involves him in offense.    

If nothing drastic happens with Marc (trade, mysterious injury) then are going to be a top 8 lottery team anyway. 

49 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

I agree. They desperately need to get rid of the pick this year. Clearly this was the year to convey it. Unfortunately, they aren't capable of being good enough to convey it this year. Possibly not next year either. They are bad right now. What's the roadmap for getting better? There isn't one. No cap space, no good picks, 2 of 3 best players aging.

29 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I agree. They desperately need to get rid of the pick this year. Clearly this was the year to convey it. Unfortunately, they aren't capable of being good enough to convey it this year. Possibly not next year either. They are bad right now. What's the roadmap for getting better? There isn't one. No cap space, no good picks, 2 of 3 best players aging.

Pretty much. Outside of drafting JJJ, Chris Wallace created an absolute mess as he has desperately tried to get back to the playoffs and tries to hang onto his job.

11 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

Pretty much. Outside of drafting JJJ, Chris Wallace created an absolute mess as he has desperately tried to get back to the playoffs and tries to hang onto his job.

Yeah, he's flailing about now. The Holiday trade already looks awful. Those 2 2nd rounders are chips. People almost got Tyreke for a couple of second rounders. Why are we giving up 2 players + 2 picks for a journeyman like Holiday?

8 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yeah, he's flailing about now. The Holiday trade already looks awful. Those 2 2nd rounders are chips. People almost got Tyreke for a couple of second rounders. Why are we giving up 2 players + 2 picks for a journeyman like Holiday?

I agree. The Holiday trade is just desperation by Wallace to somehow right the ship and keep his job. The team needs to be hoarding draft picks rather than giving them away for marginal players with expiring contracts.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think that it is what we all want. To give this pick up. But that will be hard to do.  Best case has becoming hoping this years pick and a few solid offseason moves is good enough to avoid bottom 6 next year. This franchise should put every chip it has into avoiding bottom 6 next year, whether that is stretching Parsons to get some spending money, signing Gasol for less or maybe trading him for another semi useful starter. Whatever it takes not to be bottom 6 in 2020. 

The problem with spending money is that this offseason will be similar to 2016 when we signed Parsons to the terrible contract in that almost everyone is going to have spending money. We are small market Memphis so we will have to overspend in order to compete.

If Marc were to opt out of his final year I'd rather he sign somewhere else and the Grizzlies use that money to sign someone like Vucevic who Orlando is not likely to try to resign with Bamba in the fold. He is a younger, better rebounding version of Gasol. He is not a great defender but neither is Gasol anymore.

5 hours ago, HPGrizz said:

Who are your top 5 players for 2021?

This is absurd.  I am just now working on my 2019 big board and it looks promising, or at least interesting.  Quirky might be the right word -- but we have a "future core" of Jaren/Slo Mo that is super quirky.  I can see some quirk with Jevon and Yuta.

2020 looks like Pervis "8 rebounds of Doom" Wiseman and some guy who woulda been a great 2 guard in 1988.  Not a Zion or a McClung to be found.

Ah. 

Whatever.

Let's be optimistic here folks.  

Let's shoot the works!

#tank3peat

FWIW, even if the Grizzlies finish at 8th, there is a decent chance that 1 of the teams with a better record will jump over them in the lottery by winning one of the top 4 spots (and it could even be the Grizzlies), and that would push the Grizzlies to 9th..  Obviously, it could happen that 2 teams jump over them, but not statistically likely.

So it will be strangely different from last year where every win hurt the lottery chances and position. The worst spot now for the Grizzlies is 6 or 7th pick.  Not early enough to get a stud, but not late enough to get that off the books.

Drive that tank in

13 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Who are your top 5 players for 2021?

This is absurd.  I am just now working on my 2019 big board and it looks promising, or at least interesting.  Quirky might be the right word -- but we have a "future core" of Jaren/Slo Mo that is super quirky.  I can see some quirk with Jevon and Yuta.

2020 looks like Pervis "8 rebounds of Doom" Wiseman and some guy who woulda been a great 2 guard in 1988.  Not a Zion or a McClung to be found.

Ah. 

Whatever.

Let's be optimistic here folks.  

Let's shoot the works!

#tank3peat

2021 is the year that high school players are going to be allowed back into the draft so it will be the top college freshmen and the top high school prospects in that one. Should be loaded

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

2021 is the year that high school players are going to be allowed back into the draft so it will be the top college freshmen and the top high school prospects in that one. Should be loaded

Gonna be a huge draft 

This is mad contradictory I know but I wouldnt be oppossed to trading this pick for a veteran that keeps us out the top 6 next year. Then starting the rebuild the following year. We need 2021 bad and to do whatever it takes to be at the head of that draft.

21 minutes ago, Allen said:

Nah, they changed it.  Won't happen until AFTER the 2021 draft.

4 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Nah, they changed it.  Won't happen until AFTER the 2021 draft.

I thought they moved it back from the 2020 draft to the 2021 draft?

After Miami traded their 2021 pick to Philly and people were saying it was so great because of the HSers coming, the NBA announced it won't happen until after so every franchise will have control of their 1st when that draft happens (unless they trade it after knowing).

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

After Miami traded their 2021 pick to Philly and people were saying it was so great because of the HSers coming, the NBA announced it won't happen until after so every franchise will have control of their 1st when that draft happens (unless they trade it after knowing).

Oh how cool. Wallace still sucks for this but it makes me feel better.

Is next year's draft shaping up to be as bad as this one? I guess I won't feel as bad about this year if that's the case. 

What if we somehow got #1 and got Zion? Flattened odds make that possible, even with PHX and ATL taking as hard as they can :ph34r: