Lord Gordon

Time to trade Marc

32 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Ok, that is one of the more sensible proposals you've made.

But you're right that Batum contract is bad. 

The last I heard was they were still keen on Bridges because of his potential to develop, they seemed less keen on Monk but maybe that's changed since he has been getting more PT.

The only way they do this is if at the deadline, they are not going to make the playoffs

So we are basically giving up Marc to get Bridges?

Gee, its not great value is it?

22 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

To add an important #4 - Any team that is willing to add him has to be prepared for Marc to exercise his player option. 

The Celtics already are dealing with some salary cap issues for 2019 if Kyrie opts out of his PO and wants a bigger deal.  Really the Celtics have to consider that Kyrie and Al Horford have PO next year and when combined with what to do with Marcus Morris, they might not be willing to commit to that large of payroll and they want the rookie contracts.

You could break it down even further:

Any good play off team or contender will have to expect most likely that Marc will opt in - therefore, they may just wait and hope that Marc opts out of Memphis (because he's had enough, and wants to win a championship or be deep in the playoffs, and is happy to sacrifice some money for that goal) - if they wait, he could well be cheaper on the open market.

Any terrible team would have to expect Marc will definitely opt out, to get the hell out, in which case a good team could swoop in FA

I cant see a contender in this season making a trade for him

8 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Ok, that is one of the more sensible proposals you've made.

But you're right that Batum contract is bad. 

The last I heard was they were still keen on Bridges because of his potential to develop, they seemed less keen on Monk but maybe that's changed since he has been getting more PT.

The only way they do this is if at the deadline, they are not going to make the playoffs

So we are basically giving up Marc to get Bridges?

Gee, its not great value is it?

For me it is, I like Bridges potential and he is really a friend of Jaren. This help us longterm a lot.

6 hours ago, cdp said:

In the offseason if he doesn't take a team-friendly deal like Zbo did then trade him.

Either way, the frontcourt needs some revamping. I'd keep Rabb and Noah as 3rd stringers, trade Jam this deadline. And find some upgrades to replace him with;

FAs/trades/draft;
Vonleh, Kanter, Looney, MKG, Lyles, Konate, Robert Franks, Brandon Clark

Kanter is the only upgrade on your list, except he isn't a replacement because he's a center, and he's only better on the offensive end.

5 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

For me it is, I like Bridges potential and he is really a friend of Jaren. This help us longterm a lot.

I'll have to take your word on that

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Dude i got the spray can ready to paint over the Gasol mural's on standby!  

Out of the list of names i provided Russell is clearly the most talented and fills biggest need of combo scorer.   I hope the fact that Nets spent all that money on Dinwiddie that they are willing to let DR go.   Skill set wise DeAngelo is a better fit than Jaylen Brown.  

Future Lineup:   Jevon/DeAngelo/Dillon or Cam Reddish/Kyle/Jaren     Much more balanced with scoring, playmaking and defense.    

Check how much salary Brooklyn has coming off the books this season and ask yourself if you think we can get him.

36 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

Batum salary is not good, but I would take for the sake o getting Bridges. Bridges has a lot of potential and also is a great friend of Jaren, getting Bridges you help yourself in keeping Jaren.

If we get Monk instead I would ask for picks to take Batum, or they move other piece instead.

I agree. The big point being that outside of a deal with Charlotte, there probably isn't another team that might want him and give us assets in return. As you and others have pointed out, it is feasible that there are different offers with Charlotte that still makes them a worthwhile trading partner. Charlotte almost has to do something soon to improve their roster in order to keep Kemba. If Kemba bolts, that franchise is screwed. I'm sure Mitch Kupchak could definitely smooth things out with Marc as far as him opting out or not. 

I think it could be a good win - win trade.

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

Just looking at the trade machine, I just can't see how a Marc to Charlotte trade works.

The problem is they'd end up with like 4 centres, so we would definitely have to take one back

If you put Batum in the trade, we'll only be able to get Hernangomez, they won't put Bridges or Monk in as well

Biyombo+Monk works but then they take on nearly $4mil, and they wanna shed salary - I suppose they could throw in Kaminsky

If you put Zeller in the trade, there won't be enough salary swap unless you do Marc+Jam for Zeller+Williams+Monk, and Zeller has a broken hand at the moment anyway

I don't know if any of those scenarios is a good deal for us

We could throw in Mack.  That would help.:D

11 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We have a lot of veteran players. We just aren't good enough to win- Conley, Temple, Anderson, Gasol, Mack, Casspi, Green, Holiday, and Noah are all NBA veterans. They get most of the playing time. Jaren and Brooks are the only young guys getting any PT and Brooks was hurt for awhile, so really only Jaren. Carter looks like he's about to get more minutes and Rabb is at the end of the bench. We're not a young team at all. We have 9 players over 28 y/o and 6 of those are over 30 (including Parsons). We only have 4 guys  (Jaren, Jevon, Dillon and Rabb) outside of Jaren, how many minutes have the young guys gotten?

We can't blame this on some youth movement. These guys are veterans, they just aren't that good. 

All of this.. Just not good enough.

And IMO...Almost all of the young guys are better than the old guys

1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

You could break it down even further:

Any good play off team or contender will have to expect most likely that Marc will opt in - therefore, they may just wait and hope that Marc opts out of Memphis (because he's had enough, and wants to win a championship or be deep in the playoffs, and is happy to sacrifice some money for that goal) - if they wait, he could well be cheaper on the open market.

Any terrible team would have to expect Marc will definitely opt out, to get the hell out, in which case a good team could swoop in FA

I cant see a contender in this season making a trade for him

The grizzlies aren't going to trade Jam AND Marc in the same deal. It's plum stupid that anybody would suggest that we deal both in the first place. Jam is a good player as are many of our guys.

Marc is the entire probably right now for various reasons and we need to trade him for sure. Nobody other than him is in dire need of a trade. The only reason we would trade Jam is if we keep marc, and only because he has an expiring deal and we aren't likely going to have the money to re-sign him.

That's also a complication to this deal because the fact is that if we take batum, then we are going to have to deal jam as we would still be in the same boat with jam as we were with Marc.

The grizzlies need expiring deals if we are to deal Marc, Brooklyn would be a great trade partner if they were willing to deal Jarrett Allen for Marc, but that's iffy if they would.

I'm not really sure I see a deal out there for Marc honestly. The Clippers could be an interesting choice though.

Here is an interesting trade:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y822qqcl

Clippers:

Marc Gasol

Charlotte: 

M.Gortat

Memphis:

Kidd-Gilcrest

Pat Beverley

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I keep thinking about that last Pera interview. Imagine any other Grizzly giving the lackluster effort that Gasol has been giving. It is crystal clear that the future of this team hinges on the development of JJJ. Marc is not helping the team to win games anymore, so is he helping in the development of JJJ? If anything, I believe that Marc is actually hindering JJJ's development. I just do not see any argument for not trading him. If Pera was honest in that last interview, then we should expect to see him moved. The hope of this franchise is only in it's future. Win now is clearly dead and impossible to sell to the fans. It is also my opinion that moving Marc would actually give us a better shot at 9th place or better so we can lose the pick to Boston this year. Charlotte, in my opinion, is the best chance of a good deal that won't create more contract problems in the future. Either way, Marc's doing more harm than good right now.

I totally agree, and i'm glad more people are starting to see the light on marc gasol.  I quit posting here in recent months, because i was getting into arguments with other posters, but the bottom line is i was done with marc gasol.  I also quit going to games due to marc gasol.  I would just yell bad things about him and i doubted grizz fans wanted to hear it.

I mentioned before the season started that marc could end up tainting JJJs development, because marc is not a good leader at all.  He is very selfish in fact even when it seems he is being unselfish (passing the ball looking for assists).  One poster agreed with me, but another poster jumped on me with insults, etc.  Interesting how he hasn't shown up to grill you when you are saying the same thing.

13 hours ago, Allen said:

It was time years ago. 

Hes not a good enough player to be holding this team hostage like he’s doing 

I know you, Memphis X, blackwatch and a few others have been on here for years begging to trade marc.  I went back through my old posts, and i started posting about it in late 2015.  So yeah, i agree, it's past time.

Zbo carried mike and marc during the real grit and grind era.   It was obvious mike and marc couldn't handle the reins even when zbo was still here and trying to defer to them more.   Once zbo and the vets who won games left, look what happened.  Many of us tried to warn the other fans and were ignored.

I have a great amount of respect for mike conley, but i think both mike and marc need to go.   I will go a step further.  Mike needs to get away from marc, he would be a better player. 

For the record, i had the team at 38 wins.  Just think if mike or marc actually go down to injury. 

Mike and marc's stats are just way too average or below average.   They can't lead the team.  Period.  It's been proven for years now.

The grizz FO really needs an upgrade. 

I'm not investing much time watching or going to games right now, because i feel the grizz FO not only wasted zbo's last years here, but they are wasting everyone's time believing in mike and marc as team leaders. 

I'm frustrated that pera and gasol seem to have a tight friendship according to media reports.

Marc Gasol raw stats look good on paper but are really trash with the amount of touches he gets and his efficiency.

But he has little value now. Dont even know if he can draw a first round pick.

32 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzlies aren't going to trade Jam AND Marc in the same deal. It's plum stupid that anybody would suggest that we deal both in the first place. Jam is a good player as are many of our guys.

Marc is the entire probably right now for various reasons and we need to trade him for sure. Nobody other than him is in dire need of a trade. The only reason we would trade Jam is if we keep marc, and only because he has an expiring deal and we aren't likely going to have the money to re-sign him.

That's also a complication to this deal because the fact is that if we take batum, then we are going to have to deal jam as we would still be in the same boat with jam as we were with Marc.

The grizzlies need expiring deals if we are to deal Marc, Brooklyn would be a great trade partner if they were willing to deal Jarrett Allen for Marc, but that's iffy if they would.

I'm not really sure I see a deal out there for Marc honestly. The Clippers could be an interesting choice though.

Here is an interesting trade:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y822qqcl

Clippers:

Marc Gasol

Charlotte: 

M.Gortat

Memphis:

Kidd-Gilcrest

Pat Beverley

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Its interesting but the issue here is 2points;

We deal Marc but we all we get is expirings. Ok Marc might opt out anyway so the point would be moot, but its not much of a return, unless you count on being able to sign MKG in FA

Is Gortat going to be enough for the Hornets? For them, moving MKG is not the issue, their priority is to get off either/combo/all of Biyombo, Williams, Zeller, Batum

In the proposed trade by Once A Hater, he has Williams coming in to take the place of JaM. I know he's getting on in age (32) but he can do everything JaM does, maybe even do it a bit better.

Another thing i have noticed recently is grizz players firing passes right back at gasol without looking at the basket when he does that to them.  Marc does it to fish for assists, and i think some teammates are getting sick of it.   Marc and kyle were doing it in a recent game.  I was thinking "oh hell, kyle is gonna pi$$ off marc and get moved off the team somehow".

Like what happened with tyreke evans.  Tyreke didn't like marc passing up shots he should take.  Gasol was jealous that tyreke got the assists.    Gasol did not like him, because again, marc is selfish.  Marc  is not team first.  He is me first.

Marc is never gonna be as good as his brother who was called "gasoft" here.

Marc is a horrible team leader.

At least mike hustles.  I really love mike.  But this team is done. 

26 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Its interesting but the issue here is 2points;

We deal Marc but we all we get is expirings. Ok Marc might opt out anyway so the point would be moot, but its not much of a return, unless you count on being able to sign MKG in FA

Is Gortat going to be enough for the Hornets? For them, moving MKG is not the issue, their priority is to get off either/combo/all of Biyombo, Williams, Zeller, Batum

In the proposed trade by Once A Hater, he has Williams coming in to take the place of JaM. I know he's getting on in age (32) but he can do everything JaM does, maybe even do it a bit better.

The grizzlies get: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

As far as Charlotte's concerned, I don't think MKG is in their plans. I also don't think the grizzlies (or anybody will take Batum). 

Alexander is a great up and coming player. And no, I don't think the grizzlies are going to trade jam AND marc and certainly not in the same deal, even for Miles Bridges. 

one concern I have, I believe marc is  very close of having a big injury. a injury that would lose the grizzlies  any trade value 

5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

There is a chance with Charlotte for not taking back a large bad contract, and small bad contracts are much easier to move or absorb. 

As for your reasons other teams might not want him, again, Charlotte just made more sense to me. Kupchak was the guy that traded for Pau. Trade kickers can be waived, and Kupchak and his history with Pau might be the guy to help make that happen. Even if he doesn't waive it, his kicker does not include Marc's option year so it adds about 3.2 mil which isn't a trade killer. Marc taking over for Zeller isn't going to hurt their style of play.

It just seems to me that Charlotte is a reasonable trade destination, if not the only one.

You could be right. Only time will tell.

I am a sucker, but Marc Gasol's "media talk," sucked me back in. He doesn't seem divisive at all, and he has a sense of humor about everything.

Marc just seems to always make sense.  

If you look around the league, very few teams if any would want or need Gasol. He has very low trade value and he is probably going to finish up his contract here.

19 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I am a sucker, but Marc Gasol's "media talk," sucked me back in. He doesn't seem divisive at all, and he has a sense of humor about everything.

Marc just seems to always make sense.  

It'll be worse if/when he snaps out of it and starts rolling off 20+ppg

I've never wanted him traded and wanted him to retire here, but unless he opts out and re-negotiates to stay for a lot less money than the time to move the asset is now. Problem is, the FO is not going to know which way he wants to go until the end of the season.

Are teams able to make trades in the offseason, like June, July, August?