1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Changing coaches again won't have any impact at this point. We need a major overhaul. 

Yeah, we’ve done that already-3 times since Hollins. What other things could we change that haven’t changed during this time? 

3 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Yeah, we’ve done that already-3 times since Hollins. What other things could we change that haven’t changed during this time? 

I have no clue. I wonder if this guy knows:

chris-wallace-536190072.jpg?itok=s87VhwU

9 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I have no clue. I wonder if this guy knows:

chris-wallace-536190072.jpg?itok=s87VhwU

Things that make you go hmmm...

(And I hope that tie was a gift)

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Changing coaches again won't have any impact at this point. We need a major overhaul. 

You are probably correct about "at this point", but if the current trend continues then "at the conclusion of this season" should definitely be a consideration. And this includes the assistant coaches as well.

But I get what point you're trying to make - yes Wallace HAS TO GO.

In the meantime, I'll try to restrain myself from over-reactions and "Fire JB now" comments but I can't promise a few won't slip out, if things get really bad.

9 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I sharply disagree with the notion that the grizzlies don't have talented players. It's laughable to think that if we replaced conley with Bradley beal that the grizzlies would be a winning team, for example. I hear things like Conley isn't a scorer like (insert player here). And yet, when it counts the most (in the 4th quarter) conley was ranked 8th this year in 4th quarter scoring. The fact is that the only reason conley isn't a 25 point scorer is that he doesn't want to be a 25 point scorer. You guys can debate whether he is right about that or not.

There are of course better scorers in the league than conley (harden, for example. KD, and Steph). But conley is as good as or better than just about anybody in the league.

The grizzlies have what many consider as the best rookie in the league and a potential superstar is Jeran Jackson, Jr. They have a guy that at least 1 team wanted to exchange Kelley Oubre for, Dillion Brooks. They have one of the most versatile 3 and d pfs in the game in Jam Green, and they even have one of the better 3 point shooting centers who is a 3 time allstar and former defensive player in the league. They just traded for a player that other teams wanted real bad holiday. We have a player who was just last year statistically the top plus/minus defender in the league: kyle Anderson.

Just about all our players can hit 3s.

So to say that the grizzlies need an overhaul is not factual. What they need is to move away from the old offense (which suited prime zbo) and put our players in better position to be effective. Marc even said this himself: that he is too worried about running the correct play (which I agree with, he is). There is an old saying analysis paralysis. That is what the grizzlies have and it is directly related to Marc and Garrett Temple's old age. The older you get the less free you are. Kyle goes along with it because he can't do much more himself, and pretty soon you have Mike and nobody else. Then the defense gets bad and pretty soon we can't stop anybody and we are comically trying to overcorrect everything.

The idea that the grizzlies have a bad group of players is just dumb, that is not the case. They have a bad approach to everything right now.  

I generally agree with KBM here, and quite frankly I'm not sure it is coaching. This team looks demoralized or flat or dispirited or something.  They were winning close games in the beginning, and they lost their share of close games as well, but now it's different.

This team gets down and they roll over.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, Grizzled Vet said:

I generally agree with KBM here, and quite frankly I'm not sure it is coaching. This team looks demoralized or flat or dispirited or something.  They were winning close games in the beginning, and they lost their share of close games as well, but now it's different.

This team gets down and they roll over.

Last night showed attitude = effort = wins.

Holding Aldredge and DeRozan to combined 8 for 27 shooting?  

tenor.gif?itemid=4975114

8 minutes ago, bobblybook1 said:

I want a coach that’s not afraid of hurting feelings and doing his job by taking taking the reigns 

a1e3f36062c59959e26bab75e16dd179-original.jpg

25 minutes ago, bobblybook1 said:

I want a coach that’s not afraid of hurting feelings and doing his job by taking taking the reigns 

That's not Wallace's style, for coaches or players.

Mark Jackson is an idiot, a low level basketball coach, and a toxic force in a locker room. Why would y'all want him?

3 hours ago, bobblybook1 said:

Me too.  However, we have the unfortunate history of firing coaches for that.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

I sharply disagree with the notion that the grizzlies don't have talented players. It's laughable to think that if we replaced conley with Bradley beal that the grizzlies would be a winning team, for example. I hear things like Conley isn't a scorer like (insert player here). And yet, when it counts the most (in the 4th quarter) conley was ranked 8th this year in 4th quarter scoring. The fact is that the only reason conley isn't a 25 point scorer is that he doesn't want to be a 25 point scorer. You guys can debate whether he is right about that or not.

There are of course better scorers in the league than conley (harden, for example. KD, and Steph). But conley is as good as or better than just about anybody in the league.

The grizzlies have what many consider as the best rookie in the league and a potential superstar is Jeran Jackson, Jr. They have a guy that at least 1 team wanted to exchange Kelley Oubre for, Dillion Brooks. They have one of the most versatile 3 and d pfs in the game in Jam Green, and they even have one of the better 3 point shooting centers who is a 3 time allstar and former defensive player in the league. They just traded for a player that other teams wanted real bad holiday. We have a player who was just last year statistically the top plus/minus defender in the league: kyle Anderson.

So to say that the grizzlies need an overhaul is not factual. What they need is to move away from the old offense (which suited prime zbo) and put our players in better position to be effective. Marc even said this himself: that he is too worried about running the correct play (which I agree with, he is). There is an old saying analysis paralysis. That is what the grizzlies have and it is directly related to Marc and Garrett Temple's old age. The older you get the less free you are. Kyle goes along with it because he can't do much more himself, and pretty soon you have Mike and nobody else. Then the defense gets bad and pretty soon we can't stop anybody and we are comically trying to overcorrect everything.

The idea that the grizzlies have a bad group of players is just dumb, that is not the case. They have a bad approach to everything right now.  

If Conley made more during the game then he wouldn't have to be trying to do it in the 4th Q. They play better if he is the PG and distributes the ball. 

34 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

If Conley made more during the game then he wouldn't have to be trying to do it in the 4th Q. They play better if he is the PG and distributes the ball. 

Bam!

5 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

lol, that's one take I didn't see coming

47 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

to be honest, i don't see how wallace could fire jb anytime in the near future.

this is wallace's last coach.

slim.

agreed- if JB can't get us to the playoffs I could see a scenario where we move on from Wallace.

For the record- I am not on the hate Wallace train like a lot of folks on this board. He has kept us relatively competative in the toughest conference in a small market. no easy task. Has he made boneheaded moves? yes, but so have a lot of Front offices. 

That being said I do feel like the pressure is on him 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

When I say we don't  have enough talent to consistently win, that's exactly what I mean. That could all change with the addition of 2 players-1. a high scoring swingman who can put up points all over the floor, preferably be our leading scorer and 2. a better than avg backup PG. Will we ever get those players, I have no idea but I do know the team would change dramatically if we had 2 players like that.

Right now, we are asking a bunch of role guys to do more than they can physically do talentwise. If we added a couple of guys like that, it would enhance everything everyone else does and they wouldn't struggle to play a bigger role. It would be a domino effect, Temple is a good backup 3 and D guy but not a starting SG to rely on, Anderson is a good all around player but he can't be relied on to do any one thing well enough to be a star, JJJ is still learning and learning how to stay on the floor, D Brooks is like Temple and good backup swingman. It would change the entire face of this team but I don't see it happening. 

3 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

When I say we don't  have enough talent to consistently win, that's exactly what I mean. That could all change with the addition of 2 players-1. a high scoring swingman who can put up points all over the floor, preferably be our leading scorer and 2. a better than avg backup PG. Will we ever get those players, I have no idea but I do know the team would change dramatically if we had 2 players like that.

Right now, we are asking a bunch of role guys to do more than they can physically do talentwise. If we added a couple of guys like that, it would enhance everything everyone else does and they wouldn't struggle to play a bigger role. It would be a domino effect, Temple is a good backup 3 and D guy but not a starting SG to rely on, Anderson is a good all around player but he can't be relied on to do any one thing well enough to be a star, JJJ is still learning and learning how to stay on the floor, D Brooks is like Temple and good backup swingman. It would change the entire face of this team but I don't see it happening. 

That’s the entirety of the problem though.  We have a team full of players that would be excellent in making a star player even better.  But we don’t have a star.

It’s getting really tiresome having an excellent foundation without a roof.