chipc3

Is It Time to Embrace Another Tank?

42 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Just read that Lebron could be out until the end of January and possibly til the end of February. 

If playoffs are in the picture, it would be a good time to start that run.

There is no way the NBA is letting Lebron miss the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, Dwash said:

There is no way the NBA is letting Lebron miss the playoffs.

Right now, the Lakers need to figure out how to have a team of LeBron, Mike Conley, Kuzma, Anthony Davis, and Marc Gasol.  

I would be happy to take Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, and Brandon Ingram off their hands (and off load Chandler Parsons' contract to New Orleans).

Ending up with the 9th worst record would be fine. If we get lucky we would move into the top 4 (17.3% chance) and you have Zion, Barrett, Reddish and Morant. If we stay at 9 or later then we give the pick to Boston. Deliberate tanking is not the way to go this season. What this team needs is a new product on the floor, an exciting brand of basketball, not the type of slow, play in the mud, GNG style. And its gonna take time and a new FO to build that.

15 hours ago, Grizball said:

Ending up with the 9th worst record would be fine. If we get lucky we would move into the top 4 (17.3% chance) and you have Zion, Barrett, Reddish and Morant. If we stay at 9 or later then we give the pick to Boston. Deliberate tanking is not the way to go this season. What this team needs is a new product on the floor, an exciting brand of basketball, not the type of slow, play in the mud, GNG style. And its gonna take time and a new FO to build that.

We need a Fab Five with Kyle Anderson being the 5th guy. Tank this year and get another stud to put with Jaren. Try to get some extra picks this year and next. Then complete the rebuild with a 1st and 2nd rounder in 2021.  

Dillon, Jevon, and Rabb looks like the start of a solid 5 man bench mob. Maybe put Yuta in there too.  I am keeping Justin Holiday and Omri Casspi.  Everybody else is gone-zo.

21 hours ago, Grizball said:

Wouldn't we lose the pick or we just hoping the lottery works for us?

It’s time to trade Marc if we can still get value from a team like BOS or another contender. It’s whats good for both parties. Get a good young piece and a pick back. Lose into a top 8 pick this year and use the cap space next year to sign another starter level player and try to win again next year.

Marc’s trade value now is at its highest for his remaining tenure as a Grizzly, it is not high at all but it can get much lower later. At least he shows he is healthy and can still play. Mike has been playing well this season and there should be a trade market for him. Should we blow it up? The conflict is we want to give Boston our pick this year. If we blow it up now and go for a full tank, the pick owes to Boston would become a lot more valuable in 2020 or 2021. But that brings us to the real issue here: Does having Mike and Marc here give us better chance of winning games? The fact is we still lose and we may still end up keeping the pick this year. If we are to blow it up this could be the best time IF we think we are heading to the lottery anyways and not going to convey the pick to Boston this year. Having said that I still don’t expect our FO to do anything at the deadline. To them job security is more important than anything else.

It's time to move on from Marc/JB/Trenchcoat Wally and his High School Sophomore Big Board before they completely poison the well and ruin Jaren's career. 

The 2021 Draft aka The G League Protection Act may be good but we need TWO more studs (at least) so we need our 3rd banana in '21. Let's get option 1a (1?) in June.  

No, this draft is not 45 players deep but which one is?  Zion, RJ, Reddish, Romeo, Super Bol, Morant, can play.  I even like Mac McClung: athletic high motor alpha scorer, a kind of player the Grizzlies actually need. DeAndre Hunter, a wing defender. Put Daniel Gafford next to Jaren for the twin tower approach.

Not a big fan of the 2020 draft. Jaren/Wiseman wouldn't be the best combo.  Anthony Edwards looks like OJ Mayo's dad.  Watching highlights 2021 has some good ones as does 2022.  Evan Mobley looked awesome against Memphis East.  Didn't see CW in West Mempho... hmm.  Mobley looked Durant-Esque. Wiseman looked good but Malcolm Dandridge looked more effective.  Terrence Clarke (2022) looks Jordanesque although I think he is old for his class.  

We need to start tanking. Move vets for picks.  Great draft for players to put next to Jaren.  Either wings or bigs.  Even point guards if you like Morant (I like McClung as a score first point or Tre Young as a classic lead guard).  If we can buy a 2nd rounder back I think there is still value.  Admiral Schofield could offer toughness, rebounding, and rugged scoring for us.  Although he is in my top 10-15 range.  Nasir Little could be a classic CW special (HS phenom who struggled in college) as a 2nd rounder (or late first).  Or draft a player like Luka Samanic and leave him overseas.

Anybody who says to "Trade Marc" (or Parsons or Conley) needs to actually try to put together a logical deal for him and then write a complete sentence why the other team wants to give up any asset for him.  Put together that magical deal that doesn't kill future drafts or future cap space flexibility.

No good team is a Gasol, Conley, or Parsons from overtaking the Warriors, and if they are, they won't want to send back the necessary matching salaries because those types of players on those teams are actually contributing.  Nor do those teams want to kill this offseason's salary flexibility.

No bad team wants them and/or can't give up meaningful assets to match either unless the Grizzlies can convince them with a future 1st round pick. I don't see Wallace want to trade bad cap situation for worse cap situation either.

The only logical motivations I've read on this board for acquiring any of those guys:

1. Hornets to help retain Kemba or other free agent (have Batum & Biyombo contracts)

2. Wizards, to get out of the salary cap hell (multiple choice on contract).

3. Heat, for similar reasons

Didn't take long for this thread to devolve into a draft thread. 

Back on topic. It is going to be difficult for the Grizzlies to safely avoid the disaster or a mid lottery pick transfer to Boston if other teams are embracing the tank this early as well. Last night Washington resorted to goal tending a shot at the buzzer to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory against Orlando. 

We still have almost 40 games to go people. We won too many already. I can't imagine us losing every one of our remaining games unless we sit Mike/Marc. And if we do that, what a terrible way for JJJ to learn. I really hoped he would be learning with a winning org. 

How is this for a pipe dream-? 

Pera gets fed up with the way Wallace handled the parsons situation. Wallace allowed Parsons to get under his skin with the "let me play" nonsense. They bring Parsons back (he is gets booed of course) then proceeds to go off for the 22 per game he promised us for the next 36 games. We rattled off a ton of wins, and all the homers come back. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:32 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Anybody who says to "Trade Marc" (or Parsons or Conley) needs to actually try to put together a logical deal for him and then write a complete sentence why the other team wants to give up any asset for him.  Put together that magical deal that doesn't kill future drafts or future cap space flexibility.

No good team is a Gasol, Conley, or Parsons from overtaking the Warriors, and if they are, they won't want to send back the necessary matching salaries because those types of players on those teams are actually contributing.  Nor do those teams want to kill this offseason's salary flexibility.

No bad team wants them and/or can't give up meaningful assets to match either unless the Grizzlies can convince them with a future 1st round pick. I don't see Wallace want to trade bad cap situation for worse cap situation either.

The only logical motivations I've read on this board for acquiring any of those guys:

1. Hornets to help retain Kemba or other free agent (have Batum & Biyombo contracts)

2. Wizards, to get out of the salary cap hell (multiple choice on contract).

3. Heat, for similar reasons

Who are the heat trying to move? Anyone worth moving?

21 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

Who are the heat trying to move? Anyone worth moving?

Probably Dion Waiters.  Wasn't Chris Wallace with the team in Miami?

We need shooters, so CW will get us a chucker from Miami.

1 hour ago, CarloJ63 said:

Probably Dion Waiters.  Wasn't Chris Wallace with the team in Miami?

We need shooters, so CW will get us a chucker from Miami.

I remember him when he was on the Thunder. He was alright. He's just riding the bench in Miami. Why not give him a shot. Holiday isn't doing much better

8 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

I remember him when he was on the Thunder. He was alright. He's just riding the bench in Miami. Why not give him a shot. Holiday isn't doing much better

Because he's making 12 million this year.

2 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Because he's making 12 million this year.

Ewwwwwwww talk about being overpaid 

Friendly reminder that the reason we are in the horrible position of having to try to compete when it is abundantly clear that this team doesn't have it anymore is because we refused to trade Kosta Koufos to Cleveland for our 1st round pick back.

11 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Friendly reminder that the reason we are in the horrible position of having to try to compete when it is abundantly clear that this team doesn't have it anymore is because we refused to trade Kosta Koufos to Cleveland for our 1st round pick back.

Yes. The worst case scenario of not getting that pick back has happened. Could have just traded Koufus for the pick back then the pick for Jeff Green if you must and the pick would be paid by now.

Why would any GM look at that aging team with no young superstar in 2014 and give up an unprotected pick in 2021? Just ignant.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yes. The worst case scenario of not getting that pick back has happened. Could have just traded Koufus for the pick back then the pick for Jeff Green if you must and the pick would be paid by now.

I remember a number of us screaming that exactly this would happen all those years ago. God it's so frustrating. I wanna be Cryin4Zion so badly but I just can't make myself do it because it'd be admitting we aren't picking in 2021.

28 minutes ago, Thomas said:

rj92xyc97r3y.gif

Its about time to call CP tell him he is back with the Grizz and getting 40 minutes a night. Let's get something out of that remaining $30~ M.