chipc3

Is It Time to Embrace Another Tank?

9 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

...Name to me the 8 teams we'll have a better record than based on our recent play. Literally write them down and show me. 

9 hours ago, TimBC said:

Eight? How about three?

Dylan

Dylan

Dylan

he spits hot fire !

I am pretty comfortable with the tank:

1. Zion

2. RJ

3. Garland

4. Culver

5. Reddish

6. Langford

7. Morant

8. Clarke

This is not in order obviously.  Just 8 prospects I would be comfortable adding to JJJ.

I slept on it. Let's Tank. Trade Gasol and if we could get rid of Conley I'm for it. We aren't doing anything with this roster. It's time to rebuild. 

I understand the concept of tanking to one day have a better future.  However, it's not as easy to watch the games and hope that the team loses every night.

14 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

I understand the concept of tanking to one day have a better future.  However, it's not as easy to watch the games and hope that the team loses every night.

It sucked last season

31 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

You dont have to root for it during games. The tank comes from the front office. Ie, they put out a team that simply cant win. However, whats worse is a team that is trying to win but cant. If this team loses the next 6 and pumps the streak to 12 its tank time. Pull the plug cause they cant avoid top 8.

3 hours ago, GamesOut said:

It could be slightly less painful than watching the team every night hoping they will win and seeing them lose instead. We can always cheer for wins but not be as upset with the losses if you buy into the tank psychology. 

As long as Marc and Mike are playing we won’t be tanking on purpose, however the outcome will be the same. What I worry is FO will make some desperation moves to take on bad longer contracts to stay in the playoff picture, just like they did in the Holiday trade which we gave up two potential early second rounders. Even if Holiday turns out to be a solid player I would still want to keep our picks instead.

5 minutes ago, Grizball said:

As long as Marc and Mike are playing we won’t be tanking on purpose, however the outcome will be the same. What I worry is FO will make some desperation moves to take on bad longer contracts to stay in the playoff picture, just like they did in the Holiday trade which we gave up two potential early second rounders. Even if Holiday turns out to be a solid player I would still want to keep our picks instead.

Agreed. IMO, the Holiday trade was Chris Wallace trying desperately to save this season. The problem with that is that adding a marginal role player is not the type of move that is going to save this team.

7 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I am pretty comfortable with the tank:

1. Zion

2. RJ

3. Garland

4. Culver

5. Reddish

6. Langford

7. Morant

8. Clarke

This is not in order obviously.  Just 8 prospects I would be comfortable adding to JJJ.

Yeah.  Not sure where picks 3-15 or so line up but I kinda really like this draft.  Top 2 is set (in whichever order) and I am not sure that any pick is worthy of a classic 3rd pick but mid lotto and late lotto look good.  I can see some classic 2nd round sleepers in this draft too.

I watched some highlights of the 2020 class: Anthony Edwards looks like an older OJ Mayo.  Other than that, lots of Jalens.  It could be known as the Jalen J. McJalen Jr. Draft.  James Wiseman? Finisher in wide open space, ok.  Does he have some dog in him?  Not too grindy.  More Bagley.  Could be a combo of what we thought Marvin Bagley III was/hope what JJJ turns into aka Poor Man's Anthony Davis aka a guy even the rich man's version of can't get his team into the playoffs.  Not even sure that Pervis Wiseman is better than a Mitchell Robinson.  And, hey, even Moses "Shooting 36% From Midtown" Brown has some interesting highlights.  Wiseman is on that Bol Bol level I think with Super Bol having a better shooting touch and NBA genes.  Unfortunately, it might very well be Ralph Sampson and Sam Bowie's injury jeans with a hint of Bill Walton.  

Long story short, Zion and RJ look like they are better than anyone in 2020.  And if you want a longish, rawish, athletic wing type guy you might as well go with Cam Reddish or Nassir Little this year.... 

Oh, and I will post my 2020 Big Board when Chris Wallace posts his 2021 Big Board in Sixteen magazine.

As great as Zion has been, I do not want him even if the team got the #1 pick somehow. He is a monster, but I do not think his game translates all that well to the NBA in many facets. In addition, IMO his weight is/should be a concern no matter how fluid he is at that size. I think he would be best suited for the long run in dropping down to the 240s. He will lose some strength , but in the long run I think it would extend his career.

As for the high end players I am inerested in, what are the scouting reports on Cam Reddish, Nassir Little, and RJ Barrett? Way back in the day (2006-2008) I used to read a lot from NBA Draft Net, but found them to be so of the mark from actual tape as well as their NBA comparisons.

Little and Reddish intrigue me as athletic freaks but when I have seen both, they never seem to be impacting the game. Barrett is just smooth and seems to be the highest IQ guy on the court of the 3.

Can anyone give more information on their:

-Athleticism

-Scoring abilities and 3pt range

-Play with/without the ball in their hands

-Defense

-Overall IQ

21 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Sunk cost? If we get a middling player with this season's pick we're going to suck hard next one, and then we will convey in 2021 when we absolutely want a pick because it will be the deepest draft in a generation. Not to mention the damaging effect of not being able to properly plan long term until the pick is conveyed.

Exactly my thoughts.

The only way I can see a tank situation working is if you can indeed move Marc and Mike.  If you can make that happen I'm all in.  If we are stuck on Marc, Mike, and Chandler for 2 more season AND we have to give a pick to Boston?  Lets get that done this season while we are still on these dumb contracts.  I'd hate to break up a real tank in order to pass on a top pick in the draft.  I mean, if we get the 1st pick on 2021 and give that to Boston I may not be able to take it.

5 hours ago, Grizzliesfan777 said:

As great as Zion has been, I do not want him even if the team got the #1 pick somehow. He is a monster, but I do not think his game translates all that well to the NBA in many facets. In addition, IMO his weight is/should be a concern no matter how fluid he is at that size. I think he would be best suited for the long run in dropping down to the 240s. He will lose some strength , but in the long run I think it would extend his career.

As for the high end players I am inerested in, what are the scouting reports on Cam Reddish, Nassir Little, and RJ Barrett? Way back in the day (2006-2008) I used to read a lot from NBA Draft Net, but found them to be so of the mark from actual tape as well as their NBA comparisons.

Little and Reddish intrigue me as athletic freaks but when I have seen both, they never seem to be impacting the game. Barrett is just smooth and seems to be the highest IQ guy on the court of the 3.

-Athleticism

-Defense

-Overall IQ

He looks like Grandmama 2.0 to me. Sign me up.

I am so fundementally against a tank that I don't even know where to start. 

Havent the suns been in perpetual tank mode for years now? I would think they are the poster child for why tanking doesn't lead to a winning organization. I was fine with last year after MC was gone. But I can't support a FO that doesn't try to win. And once an organization, and its players and fans accept that type of org mediocrity happens. 

A mediocre team will not last long in Memphis. A couple of years of down ticket sales and all you people will have to root for is a AAA baseball team, a Minor league soccer team and a occasionally decent college program. (sorry UofM fans). 

This city needs wins. This team needs wins. 

and, like lots of folks have said. We have already won too many games. We will likely be giving the pick to the Celtics anyway. I can't imagine any scenario where we lose enough to get a top 8 pick. (barring injury) 

All of this being said, the next 10 games are crucial. tonight is crucial. Every game is crucial right now. and, curse Chancun one more time. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, Grizzliesfan777 said:

-Athleticism

-Defense

-Overall IQ

Losing some weight would probably help his longevity,  his shot is concerning but can be developed.  

I have changed my mind. I am against tanking.

i am against it because I can’t stand another four months of Alt Grind’s ridiculous draft boards. 😄

25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

i am against it because I can’t stand another four months of Alt Grind’s ridiculous draft boards. 😄

I am NOT ready to give up on my top 6 players (in order: Mitch Rob, Kostas Freek, Mikal Bridges -- doing solid actually -- Collin Sexton, Donte Inferno -- or did I have him at 3?, and Mo "Misunderstood" Bamba).  lol

44 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Man! I was thinking the same thing the other day.

14 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Man! I was thinking the same thing the other day.

Don't worry -- I am gonna do a COMBINED 1st round big board/mock draft for the next THREE clases: 2019, 2020, and 2021.  2019 looks great.  2021 should over-perform.  2020 looks a bit sketchy.  

Bottom line: for the future we have to put as much young talent around Jaren Jackson, Jr. as possible.

let me fantasize about meat sweats never signing Chandelier and instead signing someone actually worth 20mil/season...

we would probably be so good right now, we would be beside ourselves with joy

now we are on edge.. looking at the tank abyss 

Just read that Lebron could be out until the end of January and possibly til the end of February. 

If playoffs are in the picture, it would be a good time to start that run.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

yessssssssssssssssss this cracked me up

7 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

yessssssssssssssssss this cracked me up

Ok, I am posting my COMBINED 2019-2021 big board by the end of next week!

My internal mock draft already has 30 players ranked -- just need to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic and put them into Tiers.

I am thinking Tier 1. Tier 1a. Tier 2. Tier 3. Tier 4. Tier 5.

Tier 1a: Mega star

Tier 1: super star

Tier 2: All star

Tier 3: Conley types

Tier 4: 4th options or classic top shelf 6th man types

Tier 5: rotation/utility players

We will be LUCKY to get 1 -- maybe 2 -- mega stars even in the next 3 drafts.  Maybe another Super Star type.  Probably, more like a handful of All Stars (or a lower grade Conley type) along with multiple Tier 4/4th option guys.  

Tier 5 will be your 9 man rotation types.

Tier 6 equals G League.

Maybe I will do a TWO ROUND MEGA MOTHER BIG BOARD.