Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Grizzlies vs San Antonio Spurs - 1/9/2019

Winning games like this is great......if it means a run is coming to boost us into the playoffs. If it means Marc is about to turn it on for the rest of the season. 

But, winning games like this and having this eerie feeling that Marc will shut it down again in 5-10 games + us losing games to sub .500 teams suck. 

At least this team showed last night they are capable of beating good teams, that what they showed earlier in the season was not a fluke. If we keep playing like this, we certainly won’t be a bottom feeder this season even if we miss the playoffs, and thus we should be able to deliver that pick to Boston to get it out of the way. We should not consider tanking an option this season, it’s just not wise to do it considering our draft situation. 

25 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Winning games like this is great......if it means a run is coming to boost us into the playoffs. If it means Marc is about to turn it on for the rest of the season. 

But, winning games like this and having this eerie feeling that Marc will shut it down again in 5-10 games + us losing games to sub .500 teams suck. 

Even worse than that is the idea that JB will probably credit putting mack back into rotation and Jam closing the game to the win.   And then revert back to barely playing Jaren and leaning heavily on Mack again. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Even worse than that is the idea that JB will probably credit putting mack back into rotation and Jam closing the game to the win.   And then revert back to barely playing Jaren and leaning heavily on Mack again.  

Yep

43 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Which current playoff team do you think the Grizzlies can displace at this point? Barring injury.  The weakest two are probably the Clippers and Blazers and they are 8 games over .500 and rolling. The bottom 3 are the Rockets, Spurs and Lakers who all project to rise after CP3 and Lebron return plus the Spurs seemed to have figured some things out.

35 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Which current playoff team do you think the Grizzlies can displace at this point? Barring injury.  The weakest two are probably the Clippers and Blazers and they are 8 games over .500 and rolling. The bottom 3 are the Rockets, Spurs and Lakers who all project to rise after CP3 and Lebron return plus the Spurs seemed to have figured some things out.

Which is why the smart FO would go ahead and move the peripheral guys for assets while we can.   No reason to hold onto JaM, Temple, Mack or even Holiday if they can get you real future assets.    JaM is the type that can actually help a potential Playoff team and Temple's expiring is valuable.   USE THEM to get younger assets.   Because any hope they have on being a surprise playoff team in new Mike + Marc era is done. 

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Which is why the smart FO would go ahead and move the peripheral guys for assets while we can.   No reason to hold onto JaM, Temple, Mack or even Holiday if they can get you real future assets.    JaM is the type that can actually help a potential Playoff team and Temple's expiring is valuable.   USE THEM to get younger assets.   Because any hope they have on being a surprise playoff team in new Mike + Marc era is done. 

Unless the focus is still on getting rid of the Boston Celtics obligation hanging over this franchise.

The fact that Wallace gave up future assets to acquire Holiday indicates the focus still is on this season, and that could change, but I think that while playoffs are the #1 goal right now, I think #2 is draft position #9 or worse.  

11 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Unless the focus is still on getting rid of the Boston Celtics obligation hanging over this franchise.

The fact that Wallace gave up future assets to acquire Holiday indicates the focus still is on this season, and that could change, but I think that while playoffs are the #1 goal right now, I think #2 is draft position #9 or worse.  

I am including that as the focus.   I am saying that Playoffs are almost a pipedream now but we can still give up the pick.  GT, Mack and JaM are not the difference between 8th and 9th pick.   If anything GT and Mack are more likely to send us into the lottery.   So we should go ahead and get value for them as expirings to get picks or younger players.  

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

At this point, no one. This stretch we had pretty much ruined our playoff chances. You would have to hope another team goes through a bad stretch (could happen), but at the same time you would still be battling with Utah (who is playing better and schedule is becoming lighter), Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans and Dallas.

The worst thing we could've done was lose 9 out of 13 games considering how tight the playoffs are. We would really need to get hot, like winning 10 of our next 11 hot, to even get back into the 7th/8th seed conversation TBH.

I just don't want us to middle things out and be a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs, but bad enough to get a late lottery pick that will result in Boston drafting in our place come June. I'm willing to take enough L's this year to keep our pick. I was only cool with Boston getting our pick if we made the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

At this point, no one. This stretch we had pretty much ruined our playoff chances. You would have to hope another team goes through a bad stretch (could happen), but at the same time you would still be battling with Utah (who is playing better and schedule is becoming lighter), Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans and Dallas.

The worst thing we could've done was lose 9 out of 13 games considering how tight the playoffs are. We would really need to get hot, like winning 10 of our next 11 hot, to even get back into the 7th/8th seed conversation TBH.

I just don't want us to middle things out and be a team that's not good enough to make the playoffs, but bad enough to get a late lottery pick that will result in Boston drafting in our place come June. I'm willing to take enough L's this year to keep our pick. I was only cool with Boston getting our pick if we made the playoffs.

I see your point but this team clearly has other plans after trading 2 seconds for a borderline rotation guy who is due for free agency in Justin Holiday. I dont know what other lottery level team but Memphis does things like that.

23 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I see your point but this team clearly has other plans after trading 2 seconds for a borderline rotation guy who is due for free agency in Justin Holiday. I dont know what other lottery level team but Memphis does things like that.

Hopefully, we make a Utah-like run soon. They went from 9 games under .500 to finishing 14 games above finishing the season 29-6.

That would require someone like JJJ or Conley/Gasol taking the league by storm, though.

8 hours ago, Grizball said:

The coaching staff and FO value wins more than developing JJJ right now. They just want to get out of this slump and get the pick to BOS to get this thing over with. I don't disagree with it as long as we get a W. After all we know what we have in JJJ and he is the future cornerstone of this franchise. 

I really like this draft though.  Great at the very top and then depth into late first round.  

Then retank for 2021 if we have to.  

2020 looks like the problem draft.  We could be BAD and STILL have to convey the pick to Boston.  Besides I like Zion/RJ better than anyone in the 2020 draft.  Jaren/Wiseman might not be a great fit.  

I am thinking if you don't have one of the current top 5 players or a youngster like Luka, Zion, or maybe a couple of more guys you aren't winning a title in the next 15 years.  Maybe you need TWO of those super blue chippers.  So, Jaren WITH another top notch stud would be the way to go.  I would prefer to get that guy in 2019 then get a 3rd wheel in 2021.  

1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

I really like this draft though.  Great at the very top and then depth into late first round.  

Then retank for 2021 if we have to.   

2020 looks like the problem draft.  We could be BAD and STILL have to convey the pick to Boston.  Besides I like Zion/RJ better than anyone in the 2020 draft.  Jaren/Wiseman might not be a great fit.  

I am thinking if you don't have one of the current top 5 players or a youngster like Luka, Zion, or maybe a couple of more guys you aren't winning a title in the next 15 years.  Maybe you need TWO of those super blue chippers.  So, Jaren WITH another top notch stud would be the way to go.  I would prefer to get that guy in 2019 then get a 3rd wheel in 2021.   

Lets not forget....AD made the playoffs in his 3rd year in the league at 21 with an odd mix of talent. If JJJ is as good as advertised, I think he can get us in again by 2021 with a good mix of talent. 

Of course, different times now. But, there are a lot of things that can change in the next few years. 

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I just think JB is too old school and doesn't trust rookies.  Because logically if he really wanted to get out of the slump and win he would be leaning MORE on the rookie.    All the advanced stats and even eye test show that Jaren is clearly the #3 best player on the roster.   They also show that the starting lineup is the most effective lineup we have.    For some odd reason JB believes that the lineup is most effective because of Garret Temple.    JB is just now starting to value Kyle's contributions?!?   

Here is what the pecking order has been according to how JB uses them IMHO:

1. Marc
  2. Mike
  3. Garret
  4. JaMychal
  5. Kyle
  6. Jaren
  7. *Shelvin (only recently dropped)
  8. Dillon
  9. Noah
  10. Casspi

He simply refuses to use Jaren as one of the top 3 players.   He views him as a luxury instead of a necessity.    JB is simply not a good coach.    This team wins basically on the backs of Mike and Marc period because the coach and FO completely gear it that way. 

I would argue Jaren is the 2nd best player on most nights. You have to give him credit for scoring when they don't even run plays for him.

11 hours ago, BHZMAFIA said:

I was only cool with Boston getting our pick if we made the playoffs.

The Boston pick was never about whether we made the playoffs or not except for the caveat that if we make the playoffs this year we convey the pick.  

One can argue that next year’s draft might be too heavy.  That doesn’t matter though.

The most important part of pick we owe Boston is that it’s possible we might have to give it to them in the first draft after the one and done rule is abolished.

This team needs to do everything in its power to retain its pick in a draft that has the potential of having twice the amount of top level talent as long as it’s reakistically possible.  I lived through 2003 once already.