Thomas

Woj: Parsons to leave Grizzles indefinitely

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Parsons wasn't in the locker room at the time. Maybe Noah leaked it to Parsons however. 

LOL, then we would have a leaky leak...

“We met with Chandler and spoke with him and his representation numerous times during his rehab process, laying out a number of options to help integrate a healthy and effective Chandler back on to the floor.

In the last of these conversations, we presented Chandler clear options for him and his representatives to choose, which included a short three-home-game stint for the Memphis Hustle or rehab either in Memphis or in Los Angeles with the training team of his choice.

Chandler subsequently chose to continue his rehab in Los Angeles.

This is such a vacuous comment. Chandler chose to rehab in LA. Was that one of the three options? If so what's wrong with Parsons taking his more favorable option (and if anyone doesn't understand that LA is more favorable than Southaven in December I can't help you)?

Wallace and the Grizzlies shouldn't have given him the option if they wanted him to go to the Hustle. Just tell him that if he believes he can play he needs to prove with the Hustle. Otherwise he will remain inactive. 

I don't blame Parsons for signing that ridiculous contract.    Wallace should be fired.

I do blame Parsons for sucking on the court.     I do blame Parsons for #Chancun and general lack of self-awareness.    I do blame Parsons for not being humble enough to prove that he is healthy by taking the Hustle assignment.    

Basically i have zero sympathy for either them and I am glad Parsons is kicking rocks.   Just wish those weren't 94million dollar rocks.  

I don't see how anyone on here can defend either side.   Parsons is an entitled prick.  I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he should be able to come back as a starter.   

Glad he has finally been expelled - good riddance.    One down and two more to go (Wallace and JB).  

The only thing I blame Parsons for is being tone deaf to the situation.  Honestly, you got one over.  Just shut up and cash your checks.

There are possibly a couple of things at work here.
Its difficult for a professional athlete to accept that he has suffered a career ending injury.
There is a chance that he could still be paid but be off the Grizzly books on the one year anniversary of his last game played.

I never blamed parsons for signing the contract.

the money is the money- end of story. had it just been about the bad knees...so be it. such is life in the world.

but, there is a reason we call him chancun. I recall a twitter spat between chancun and some of the Portland players.

I also recall pics of chancun in front of a private jet.

I also recall first hand account of chancun getting off the bus- a month ago?- in Denver and skipping into the hotel bar.

all of these things add up and portray an image/a personality.

the contract is what it is and I never have blamed the man for making the most he could. cwallace- another topic.

slim.

The Grizzlies better not stretch Parsons. We need to get something out of this deal and the only way we can do that is for him to become an expiring contract chip.

Someone help me understand what is so terrible about a stretch. I am not as knowledgable as some of you folks on NBA rules. It seems like if we could stretch his 30 mill we still owe him over 3 years that we would have some salary cap to play with right now. is that wrong? could we find someone to replace Chancuns impact for the net gain in salary cap? or is that not how it works?

1 hour ago, tangogriz said:

There is a chance that he could still be paid but be off the Grizzly books on the one year anniversary of his last game played.

I don't think that is possible. Pretty sure the only way to get relief is to trade the contract or stretch it. NBA is not like NFL, everything i fully guaranteed except where specified. 

see below from oldmanGrizz's post: 

4 hours ago, oldmanGrizz said:

I don't know whether Parson's contract allows it to be renegotiated or not, but these are the rules governing that possibility.

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.

A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

6 minutes ago, Memphisyank said:

Someone help me understand what is so terrible about a stretch. I am not as knowledgable as some of you folks on NBA rules. It seems like if we could stretch his 30 mill we still owe him over 3 years that we would have some salary cap to play with right now. is that wrong? could we find someone to replace Chancuns impact for the net gain in salary cap? or is that not how it works?

We could find someone with the extra space, but then we have dead cap (a decent contract's worth) for longer than just next year. It's extending this pain for an additional 2 years. Not worth it. 

9 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Calkins with another article slamming Parsons, but also taking a shot at whoever decided to sign him. You Memphian apologists should read this and let it sink in for a bit:

https://www.dailymemphian.com/section/sportsgeoff-calkins/article/2274/Calkins-Chandler-Parsons-may-be-an-entitled-phony-but-ultimate-blame-lies-with-the-Grizz

"Note to Grizz: Never again pay large dollars for a free agent whose most fitting promotional item is a yoga mat. "

LOL

1 hour ago, Memphisyank said:

The extra cap this season and the next is useless because we're way above the cap and we are still limited to using exceptions to sign free agents. The extra salary space would give us more freedom to sign MLE, BAE and vet minimum players without risking going into the tax, but it would be useless for major free agency moves. On the other hand, dragging some of Parsons' salary further in the future would prevent us from having maximum salary room when Marc and Mike's contracts fall off the books. It may be the difference between being able to bid for any max player or being limited to offering sheets to restricted free agents.

This is crazy, if you got to pay him, play him and see if he can help the team. I don't think they will play worse than they are now. And JBs style of sitting guys in the 2nd half who played well in the 1st is pure stupidity also.

3 hours ago, Memphisyank said:

They are trying to say its over for this era, stop making short term moves. Stop spending money on free agents that get you nowhere or make a marginal difference when you need to draft a solid foundation, clear the books and then look for your free agent pickups after you have something to build on.

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

They are trying to say its over for this era, stop making short term moves. Stop spending money on free agents that get you nowhere or make a marginal difference when you need to draft a solid foundation, clear the books and then look for your free agent pickups after you have something to build on.

Speak it! 

21 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I see it as a neutral to positive effect. I guess you missed the video from about 3 weeks ago of Parsons limping around on the court. My guess is that the Grizzly players know that Parsons is toast. It is also my guess that there are doctors telling Parsons and the FO that if he wants to avoid walking with a limp for most of his remaining years that he should retire now.

I'm sure someone will correct me but the the reason that the FO opposes playing Parsons for a few games just to prove that he can't play is here from question #61:

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The team can apply to have the player's salary excluded starting on the first anniversary of the player's last regular season or playoff game, and not before the one-year anniversary of the first regular season game for which the player was on the team's roster under his current contract. If the player played in fewer than 10 games in the last season in which he played, the team can apply on the one-year anniversary of the player's last regular season or playoff game, or 60 days after his last game in the current season, whichever is later.

The Grizzlies have gone the extra mile to get Parsons back to NBA form, but its over.

Q: You know what would be worse than signing Parsons to $94 million, having him hardly play, and then send him home?

A: Waive him, getting nothing in a trade nor any salary relief,  and allow him to play for any team, with the actual worst possible outcome being he actually positively contributes to another team.

To get the injured player exception, the Grizzlies have to waive him and then hope no team picks him up and plays him for a year.  It's not happening, especially since the Heisley/Wallace Grizzlies picked up and played Darius Miles to keep Portland from getting one (I believe-some other Grizzlies historian can tell me if I'm wrong).

The only outcome more unlikely than Parsons returning to the team is for the team to waive him this year with no buyout involved.  There is no benefit to waiving Parsons this year (without buyout).

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is such a vacuous comment. Chandler chose to rehab in LA. Was that one of the three options? If so what's wrong with Parsons taking his more favorable option (and if anyone doesn't understand that LA is more favorable than Southaven in December I can't help you)?

Wallace and the Grizzlies shouldn't have given him the option if they wanted him to go to the Hustle. Just tell him that if he believes he can play he needs to prove with the Hustle. Otherwise he will remain inactive. 

I have nothing to add here, except to compliment chip on his use of "vacuous".

7 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Q: You know what would be worse than signing Parsons to $94 million, having him hardly play, and then send him home?

A: Waive him, getting nothing in a trade nor any salary relief,  and allow him to play for any team, with the actual worst possible outcome being he actually positively contributes to another team.

To get the injured player exception, the Grizzlies have to waive him and then hope no team picks him up and plays him for a year.  It's not happening, especially since the Heisley/Wallace Grizzlies picked up and played Darius Miles to keep Portland from getting one (I believe-some other Grizzlies historian can tell me if I'm wrong).

The only outcome more unlikely than Parsons returning to the team is for the team to waive him this year with no buyout involved.  There is no benefit to waiving Parsons this year (without buyout).

Yeah if he wants out...make him take a buyout paycut.

The folks that want him to play - what spot would he play? He would most likely be a bench 4. He’s too slow to play the 3. Jaren and Jam rotate at the 4. JB already messed with Jaren’s mins. Once Parsons plays Jaren’s mins will reduce cuz JB likes his vets. If Parsons can prove he can play 3 games with the Hustle without pain, then it makes sense to bring him back to make a PO push. Jaren’s mins being cut then can at least be tolerated.

Btw F Parsons.

Hilarious that anyone believes that Chancun should not have to prove it in the G league.

The guy has glass knees. This organization should make NO decisions with Chancun in mind.

If he goes to the Hustle and kills it for a few games, THEN you can consider it. It seems to me the guy knows he will be exposed.

The ONLY position that he can play for the Grizz is a stretch 4, and even then he is a defensive sieve. We are complaining that JJJ is not getting enough minutes, imagine how much backlash there would be if he didn't play big minutes in a game situation and Chancun was on the court.

This guy can not help this team. He has had numerous chances to do so. If certain players don't like the way he has been handled (yes I'm looking at you Mike and Marc) then they can kick rocks too.

29 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

His last game was against the Jazz on 10/22. He was to be evaluated in a week or so due to fluid build-up on a knee.

Here he is limping around at the Moda Center in Portland on 12/19. That was 2 months after the "fluid build-up." Considering that Parsons has undergone season-ending surgery each of the last three seasons, someone tell me how the guy in that video is ever going to play again.

I don't think Parsons will play again in the NBA. It would be better for the Grizzlies if he figured that out this season and retired. What about salary cap relief after career ending injury? Parsons would still get all the contracted money, but as I read it here, http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61, his contract would be removed from team salary on 10/22/2019.

HE SHOULD RETIRE.

9 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't blame Parsons for signing that ridiculous contract.    Wallace should be fired.

I do blame Parsons for sucking on the court.     I do blame Parsons for #Chancun and general lack of self-awareness.    I do blame Parsons for not being humble enough to prove that he is healthy by taking the Hustle assignment.    

Basically i have zero sympathy for either them and I am glad Parsons is kicking rocks.   Just wish those weren't 94million dollar rocks.  

I don't see how anyone on here can defend either side.   Parsons is an entitled prick.  I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he should be able to come back as a starter.   

Glad he has finally been expelled - good riddance.    One down and two more to go (Wallace and JB).  

He does think that.

It was reported last week

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2018/12/29/chandler-parsons-injury-memphis-grizzlies-nba/2421430002/

"I’ve been cleared by the medical staff of our organization, and clearly it’s not about fitting. I already earned a starting spot out of training camp and have shown I can fit with the team. I think the confusion for me is there’s no communication about what’s going on and when I’m going to play.”

Parsons is a dog. He dogged out ALL of his teammates by spilling his guts to the media about the Temple-Casspi blue. If he wasn't there, and if he has no beef and wasn't in the blue with Temple or with Casspi, why would he do this?

He's lied about all the communications he's had. Now he dogs his teammates.

No one could and should ever trust him ever again

10 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

His last game was against the Jazz on 10/22. He was to be evaluated in a week or so due to fluid build-up on a knee.

Here he is limping around at the Moda Center in Portland on 12/19. That was 2 months after the "fluid build-up." Considering that Parsons has undergone season-ending surgery each of the last three seasons, someone tell me how the guy in that video is ever going to play again.

I don't think Parsons will play again in the NBA. It would be better for the Grizzlies if he figured that out this season and retired. What about salary cap relief after career ending injury? Parsons would still get all the contracted money, but as I read it here, http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61, his contract would be removed from team salary on 10/22/2019.

HE SHOULD RETIRE.

I'm not opposed to using it, and it was part of the reason I wanted him to come back and play.  He couldn't have a career ending injury sitting on the bench.

It would be hard for the Grizzlies to prove that he is physically unable to play when there are independent and/or team doctors who have cleared him to play, he has been begging to play, AND the Grizzlies (allegedly) asked him to play in California and in Southaven.  All 3 are indicators that he isn't an injured player.

The purpose of the exception isn't to knock bad salaries off of your salary cap..

I hope this nightmare ends at the trade deadline