Thomas

Woj: Parsons to leave Grizzles indefinitely

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, memphis slim said:

take our medicine. don’t stretch. that hurts us- correct? no way do that if so. 

 

slim. 

Ok, this is how stretching him would work (it's not exactly as I said earlier, I was answering from my phone and couldn't check the details):

- Because we are mid-season, the remainder of this season's salary will be paid according to the normal schedule.

- Next season's $25.1M would be stretched over three seasons (twice the remaining years plus one), so we would have a $8.4M cap hit until 2022. This is not crippling per se, of course, but it's the kind of money that ends up preventing you from having room for a full max contract FA.

We're not going to be able to be in the FA market next season anyway with Marc and Mike (or whoever comes in if we trade them) still in the books, so we are better off just paying him up on the original schedule.

And again, as long as he's in a contract, he can potentially be traded. See what's happening to Melo for a current example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danm so that's how it ends huh? It sounds like he's healthy and they just don't want him around, can't blame em. Hope he works his way back to play one day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I don't see anything about a buyout. This could be similar to Luol Deng's situation with the Lakers where they just sent him home. They eventually reached a buyout this past offseason but last season they just sent him home and ostracized him.

I do think not having Chandler around will have  positive benefit. Who knows what will happen with his contract but just not having him around the locker rooma nd wondering what's his status could clear up some confusion for the players. 

what do you think was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak?  Did the FO find out that it was CP that leaked the info about the "fight" in the lockerroom the other night and they knew that was it with Chandler.  He wanted to play.  CW would not let him.  So he engineered a ticket out of here???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cdp said:

Danm so that's how it ends huh? It sounds like he's healthy and they just don't want him around, can't blame em. Hope he works his way back to play one day...

Honestly I dont.  I know it crappy of me, but I want him to just retire cause if he goes somewhere else, it would be just the Grizz's luck that he will have some sort of renaissance and his knees will miraculously be okay and he will torch us for 30+ pts along with being a great comeback story.  And all the national media will talk about how once he was out of Memphis, he had a rebirth.   

I so wanted him to be successful here.  I really did.  But I admit, Im petty and shallow, but if he cant produce for us--who paid him a 4 year max contract in a small market basically mortgaging some of our future just to get him--I sure as Hades dont want him to be successful for some other team.   

If that happens, then CWallace should be fired.  Well.......Wallace needs to be fired no matter what. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TimBC said:

They should have had this meeting two weeks ago. There's no reason both sides shouldn't speak openly, and see if they can't find a deal everyone's OK with. 

Tim (or anyone) has there been any consensus opinion on this  board or in the media as to WHY CWallace would not let him play?  Was Wallace trying like the dickens to somehow  trade him and could not take the chance of one or both of his knees acting up on him?  

That is the only reason I can see but I just cant see ANY GM giving anything of value at all to trade for a max salary player who cannot play.   Just wondered if you or anyone had any ideas why Wallace was not interested in letting him play when we struggle to score so badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

If that happens, then CWallace should be fired.  Well.......Wallace needs to be fired no matter what. LOL

Bingo. This is 1000% on Wallace. I don't blame Parsons for anything except maybe how he's handling being benched, even then we don't know the full story. What we do know is he was injured before signing that offer he couldn't refused, he's injured after he signed it, and he's been working his way back ever since. Everything else is out of his hands, but not Wallaces. There was zero reason to offer Parsons such a huge contract knowing he was injured. Zero reason to rush him back and force the issue in that first season, not only did it mess with team chemistry/rotations but it ended up costing Parsons another surgery and round of rehab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

Tim (or anyone) has there been any consensus opinion on this  board or in the media as to WHY CWallace would not let him play?  Was Wallace trying like the dickens to somehow  trade him and could not take the chance of one or both of his knees acting up on him?  

That is the only reason I can see but I just cant see ANY GM giving anything of value at all to trade for a max salary player who cannot play.   Just wondered if you or anyone had any ideas why Wallace was not interested in letting him play when we struggle to score so badly. 

I think you're right. That seems to be the only feasible reason as to why he was being held out. I think the whole G league thing was just a guise while the FO worked behind the scenes to structure some sort of deal. Of course, any GM not named Chris Wallace isn't stupid enough to take a chance on ole knobby knees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cdp said:

Danm so that's how it ends huh? It sounds like he's healthy and they just don't want him around, can't blame em. Hope he works his way back to play one day...

Is there any evidence that he's ever been healthy at all? He's been cleared multiple times before, plays 3-10 games, done for the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I called it, 36 minutes before. Woj has nothing on me. 

Nostradamus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this means that chancun’s contract will die of natural causes next summer or be traded a year from now. nothing else would make sense. 

 

slim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's worse than signing Chandler Parsons to a max contract? Stretching Chandler Parsons contract. Do NOT stretch Chandler Parsons. This team is already trending way, way down. This would be the last straw for me, personally. I've felt, for the most part, that a lot of the criticism of Chris Wallace has been somewhat  unfair or unfairly weighted on him. But if this contract is stretched or we don't either a) trade him next season, or b) let his contract expire and use it for our own cap room in 2020, then I'm just done. I am totally fine having Chandler take a leave of absence, as I think he's handled most of this reasonably unprofessionally (but thats just my opinion). I never once believed he would contribute to the team after last year. So we have the ability to play hardball with him for as long as we want if we simply accept that he'll never play for the team again and that we're willing to ride the contract out. Please, PLEASE do not compound the mistake of signing Parsons by buying him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

What's worse than signing Chandler Parsons to a max contract? Stretching Chandler Parsons contract. Do NOT stretch Chandler Parsons. This team is already trending way, way down. This would be the last straw for me, personally. I've felt, for the most part, that a lot of the criticism of Chris Wallace has been somewhat  unfair or unfairly weighted on him. But if this contract is stretched or we don't either a) trade him next season, or b) let his contract expire and use it for our own cap room in 2020, then I'm just done. I am totally fine having Chandler take a leave of absence, as I think he's handled most of this reasonably unprofessionally (but thats just my opinion). I never once believed he would contribute to the team after last year. So we have the ability to play hardball with him for as long as we want if we simply accept that he'll never play for the team again and that we're willing to ride the contract out. Please, PLEASE do not compound the mistake of signing Parsons by buying him out.

How can we lose chancun and we are trending down? does not compute, will robinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

What's worse than signing Chandler Parsons to a max contract? Stretching Chandler Parsons contract. Do NOT stretch Chandler Parsons. This team is already trending way, way down. This would be the last straw for me, personally. I've felt, for the most part, that a lot of the criticism of Chris Wallace has been somewhat  unfair or unfairly weighted on him. But if this contract is stretched or we don't either a) trade him next season, or b) let his contract expire and use it for our own cap room in 2020, then I'm just done. I am totally fine having Chandler take a leave of absence, as I think he's handled most of this reasonably unprofessionally (but thats just my opinion). I never once believed he would contribute to the team after last year. So we have the ability to play hardball with him for as long as we want if we simply accept that he'll never play for the team again and that we're willing to ride the contract out. Please, PLEASE do not compound the mistake of signing Parsons by buying him out.

Well get ready for Wallace to demand a useful player in return for Parsons and once he is laughed at then he will be bought out/stretched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how long it will take for his jersey to be discounted?

Its still selling for full price, and they probably have a lot of stock left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There you have it fellas, can we now end this apologist facade that Parsons wasn't asked to play in the G-league for a set time, or given a time frame:

https://dailymemphian.com/article/2272/Chandler-Parsons-Grizzlies-reportedly-working-on-separation-arrangement

A team source told The Daily Memphian last week that the Grizzlies had asked Parsons to play two G League games with the Memphis Hustle in California after Christmas. Parsons had traveled with the team for its four-game West Coast road trip before the holiday, and was asked to stay behind for Hustle games on Dec. 27th in El Segundo and Dec. 29th in Stockton. Parsons declined. The request to play rehab games for the Hustle was reiterated this weekend, according to two team sources, with management asking Parsons to play in home games in Southaven on Monday, Friday, and Saturday. Without assurances of Grizzlies playing time after the assignment, Parsons again declined. NBA players have the option of declining G League assignments after three seasons in the league.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t tell if this is good news, bad news, or just news. Just a disastrous signing/situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

There you have it fellas, can we now end this apologist facade that Parsons wasn't asked to play in the G-league for a set time, or given a time frame:

https://dailymemphian.com/article/2272/Chandler-Parsons-Grizzlies-reportedly-working-on-separation-arrangement

A team source told The Daily Memphian last week that the Grizzlies had asked Parsons to play two G League games with the Memphis Hustle in California after Christmas. Parsons had traveled with the team for its four-game West Coast road trip before the holiday, and was asked to stay behind for Hustle games on Dec. 27th in El Segundo and Dec. 29th in Stockton. Parsons declined. The request to play rehab games for the Hustle was reiterated this weekend, according to two team sources, with management asking Parsons to play in home games in Southaven on Monday, Friday, and Saturday. Without assurances of Grizzlies playing time after the assignment, Parsons again declined. NBA players have the option of declining G League assignments after three seasons in the league.

 

 

Well if this is the case, I humbly recant everything I said regarding Parsons and the G League. He was being quite selfish indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Big news day... this and Thibs out.... nba knows how to keep ish interesting 

Yep that's coming through now too - Thibs is fired

That means DRose will be outta there at the season end.

I'd love a crack at him if we do FULL diligence and he is fit to go, with Mike it'd be a great pairing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LilFrontOffice said:

Well if this is the case, I humbly recant everything I said regarding Parsons and the G League. He was being quite selfish indeed.

No worries man, there is probably spin on both sides over this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

No worries man, there is probably spin on both sides over this

Yeah, Parsons probably has his version.

All we (fans) can do is speculate with whatever information is available at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

There you have it fellas, can we now end this apologist facade that Parsons wasn't asked to play in the G-league for a set time, or given a time frame:

https://dailymemphian.com/article/2272/Chandler-Parsons-Grizzlies-reportedly-working-on-separation-arrangement

A team source told The Daily Memphian last week that the Grizzlies had asked Parsons to play two G League games with the Memphis Hustle in California after Christmas. Parsons had traveled with the team for its four-game West Coast road trip before the holiday, and was asked to stay behind for Hustle games on Dec. 27th in El Segundo and Dec. 29th in Stockton. Parsons declined. The request to play rehab games for the Hustle was reiterated this weekend, according to two team sources, with management asking Parsons to play in home games in Southaven on Monday, Friday, and Saturday. Without assurances of Grizzlies playing time after the assignment, Parsons again declined. NBA players have the option of declining G League assignments after three seasons in the league.

 

 

It was also reported that his claim of how he had played two weeks of 5 on 5 practices was a stretch of the truth. Most of those practices involved assistant coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

the end of an error

Hahaaaa ! Well said!

 

oh... since I’m in here already...

 

lemme just leave this right here:

SAN

DI

E

GO

SUPERCHARGERS !

I know... wrong thread and some more stuff , AND rest assured I will have a talk - with myself- about thread jacking... 

well worth it - at least ONE of my squads is getting it in!

Now... Fire up that appreciation thread !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now