Thomas

Woj: Parsons to leave Grizzles indefinitely

Fanboy hopefully you still awake :) how could this help us with cap? Anything specific we should hope for in the terms of the buy out ?

2 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Fanboy hopefully you still awake :) how could this help us with cap? Anything specific we should hope for in the terms of the buy out ?

I don't think so, weren't you telling me that a buyout wouldn't help provide cap relief?

The buyout amount still counts against the cap, and the only relief is if Parsons agrees to be paid a lesser amount than his contracted amount - I think that is correct?

I know this sounds weird but kudos to Parsons for admitting his mistakes in the article that he wrote a few months ago. At the end of the day, it was a bad contract that was signed. Parsons and his agent totally finessed Chris Wallace, Robert Pera, and our fan base. But hey, do you blame Parsons? Do you blame Parsons (who was coming off knee surgery when he signed that contract) to get as much money as he can? You can’t. It didn’t work out. He claims he is healthy, maybe let him play again since we are on the downfall, maybe he is that “spark” that we desperately need. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen. Chris Wallace should be the one to blame here for not doing his due diligence and homework in 2016.

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I don't think so, weren't you telling me that a buyout wouldn't help provide cap relief?

The buyout amount still counts against the cap, and the only relief is if Parsons agrees to be paid a lesser amount than his contracted amount - I think that is correct?

Yes - I just don’t know how it works in practice. Example : he is obwed 38M and over 20 next year. What if he agrees to 30M does that mean he only counts 12 towards cap next year

I don't see anything about a buyout. This could be similar to Luol Deng's situation with the Lakers where they just sent him home. They eventually reached a buyout this past offseason but last season they just sent him home and ostracized him.

I do think not having Chandler around will have  positive benefit. Who knows what will happen with his contract but just not having him around the locker rooma nd wondering what's his status could clear up some confusion for the players. 

7 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Yes - I just don’t know how it works in practice. Example : he is obwed 38M and over 20 next year. What if he agrees to 30M does that mean he only counts 12 towards cap next year

See Q65-67 in this link

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

We'll wait for the expert FanBoy to comment but the way I'm reading the link is:

Using rounded numbers:

Say Parsons is owed $24mil for this all this year and next

Say he agrees to a buyout of 30 mil

If half this season is over, he'd already be paid 12 MIL, he would still be owed 12 MIL, we they pay him, and it counts on the cap

That leaves 18mil left to pay - giving 6 mil capsapace.

I think that's what Q65 is getting at

18 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

This is correct. Unless Parsons gives away money we don’t get any relief. And guess how big those chances are. There isn’t another max contract waiting for Parsons once he leaves.

All we can hope for is a trade, but by not waiting for next season (when he’s an expiring) we lose a lot of leverage.

4 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

With the stretch provision, we would owe Parsons 7,6 millions over the next five seasons.

Ehh, not a big fan of this. Don’t want Parsons’ cloud to be hanging over our head in the next 5 years. Go ahead and pay the guy and end the contract. The good news is that after next season you’ll have money to get a good caliber free agent. I’d rather deal with the pain now, and not let the pain linger. 

13 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Thanks!

what I’m to dense to figure out is if we do a buy out if all the relief hits next year as will be after Jan 10

Not sure, I've got to read it a couple of times to understand it myself

If its after Jan 10, they owe him all of this year's salary, but in the last year the Jan 10 protection can be waived by mutual agreement of the team and Parsons.

I think that's right

5 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Not sure, I've got to read it a couple of times to understand it myself

If its after Jan 10, they owe him all of this year's salary, but in the last year the Jan 10 protection can be waived by mutual agreement of the team and Parsons.

I think that's right

Cool thanks . Will be interesting to see how much he wants to play this year i.e. if he is willing to give up any money at all

2 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Cool thanks . Will be interesting to see how much he wants to play this year i.e. if he is willing to give up any money at all

exactly, but like FanBoy says, the chances of getting a next good one from another team are small (no other team in their right mind would do that) so I reckon he'll play hard ball for a while at least

25 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

Thanks!

what I’m to dense to figure out is if we do a buy out if all the relief hits next year as will be after Jan 10

The Jan 10 date only applies to non guaranteed contracts. All of Parsons' salary is already guaranteed.

7 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

exactly, but like FanBoy says, the chances of getting a next good one from another team are small (no other team in their right mind would do that) so I reckon he'll play hard ball for a while at least

He can only play hardball on Twitter so let him fire away. We don't have to do a darn thing. Just tell him to stay away from team facilities and go have fun until July 2020. We can then wait for proposals from his camp, or work on our own trade scenarios.

Although knowing Wallace I wouldn't be surprised if we stretched him, thus removing our chances of using him as trade fodder while crippling our finances for 5 years.

They should have had this meeting two weeks ago. There's no reason both sides shouldn't speak openly, and see if they can't find a deal everyone's OK with. 

It’s just bad timing to buy out his contract. Only way parsons will take less is if he knows he can sign another deal but I just don’t see anyone paying him more than the vet minimum.  The grizz should keep him on the books/hold him hostage til the end of his contract and just go in full rebuild mode. Trade Conley, Marc.. tank.. and get the inevitable process started 

4 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

He can only play hardball on Twitter so let him fire away. We don't have to do a darn thing. Just tell him to stay away from team facilities and go have fun until July 2020. We can then wait for proposals from his camp, or work on our own trade scenarios.

Although knowing Wallace I wouldn't be surprised if we stretched him, thus removing our chances of using him as trade fodder while crippling our finances for 5 years.

I pray to God that Wallace don't do that

It’s just crazy how every team in the league is trying to have plenty of capspace and flexibility.. while we are cash strapped with no picks and only 2 tradable pieces