Kevin B Moses

Fire ME First. Then Fire Bickerstaff. Now.

Despite all of the doom and gloom, bringing in Holiday could certainly be an underrated move. Think about it: Mike, Holiday, Anderson/Brooks, Jaren and Marc should have the ability to shut down anybody. In fact, other than say Caspi, Noah and Temple (who are all good serviceable players), the grizzlies have all working parts. Nobody really doubles each other. The problem is health, stopping the 3 point shot and if we have the right coach.

The last one is the focus, because the grizzlies should be a #1 defensive team with this talent, but they are not and they are struggling to stop the 3 point shot. I know it is early in Bickerstaff's tenure, but the question remains if he has a vision for our defense, or if he is just a rah rah guy. 

This team should be over .500 by a lot, really.

The grizzlies really do have the makings of a great defensive team here. And holiday does have the ability to take the pressure off of mike.  

Probably not

But they won't be making any changes soon because they have an image problem

When you have sacked 3 coaches in 6 years, one of which was the most successful and got you to the only WCF, you have an image problem

There's a ton of articles on GBB by different writers criticizing JB for pretty much the same things the critics here have stated so they are not unique ideas (i.e. I am not the only one)

6 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Probably not

But they won't be making any changes soon because they have an image problem

When you have sacked 3 coaches in 6 years, one of which was the most successful and got you to the only WCF, you have an image problem

There's a ton of articles on GBB by different writers criticizing JB for pretty much the same things the critics here have stated so they are not unique ideas (i.e. I am not the only one)

I don't think the FO really cares about image problems.

I don't think JB should be sacked this season, partly because it's undeserved (given his lack of experience and the realities of the roster) and partly because it's pointless (it's not like even hiring Pop would turn this team around overnight.) However I'm convinced that Chris Wallace at least partially considers head coaches to be ballast, ready to be dropped as scapegoats if his own seat gets too hot.

If we go into a prolonged loss streak (and we're close to that) I wouldn't be surprised if JB was jettisoned and replaced by the next interim coach who would then be shielded from criticism by that very interim label.

I'm very pessimistic about the Grizzlies' coaching strategy for the simple fact that there doesn't seem to be an overall franchise strategy at all. Only tactical decision after tactical decision in every aspect of the franchise's management.

There should be no reason why the grizzlies should not be a top ten 3 point shooting team. Think about this for a moment:

Marc Gasol (if not the best 3 point shooting center in the league, he is close).

Jaren (has proven that he can hit 3s consistently)

Dillion Brooks (another guy that can get more threes if given the opportunity)

Justin Holiday (a great three point shooter at a high clip)

Mike Conley(Not a liability in this area) 

Jam Green (can hit 3 pointers consistently)

Temple (has made himself into a 3 point shooter)

Shelvin Mack (again, a good 3 point shooter)

Literally the only player that is in heavy rotation that is a liability in 3 point shooting is Kyle Anderson.

The entire grizzlies roster is filled with 3 and d players and yet the grizzlies are only shooting 26.9 threes a game. Something has to give. It is no exaggeration to say that the grizzlies should never lose the 3 point shooting battle. Not only can we hit 3s but we are the one team that should be able to guard the line better than most.

This is a referendum on JB Bickerstaffs tenture as the grizzlies head coach and the grizzlies (if they decide to fire Bickerstaff) need to be looking for a coach that can understand the potential of this roster.

My suggestion would be to hire: Jeff Bzdelik.

I'm not sure why the grizzlies ever let this guy go, but I think that wherever he went he made that team better. It's no surprise that the rockets played "like Memphis" last year to almost upset the golden state warriors, it was Bzdelik's doing.

Marc Gasol:  Career 35%

Jaren:  34%

Dillion Brooks:  36%

Justin Holiday: 35%

Mike Conley:  37%

Jam Green:  35%

Temple: 36%

Shelvin Mack: 33%

Kyle Anderson:  33%

IMO we have a lot of average shoots and no good ones.  Should put us around the middle of the pack for %.  Which is where we are.

5 minutes ago, Gradey said:

Marc Gasol:  Career 35%

Jaren:  34%

Dillion Brooks:  36%

Justin Holiday: 35%

Mike Conley:  37%

Jam Green:  35%

Temple: 36%

Shelvin Mack: 33%

Kyle Anderson:  33%

IMO we have a lot of average shoots and no good ones.  Should put us around the middle of the pack for %.  Which is where we are.

They are not average they are last in the league. 

31 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

They are not average they are last in the league. 

I see the Grizz at 34.7% which is 21st in the league. 

I see the Grizz making 9.3 3 ptrs per game which is 28th in the league.

I see the Grizz attempting 26.9 3 ptrs per game which is 26th in the league.

Are we looking at the same stats? 

Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

The grizzly should always win the three-point shooting battle with the defense that they have and the shooters they have.

The stats I see do not show what you are pointing to.  I get the idea that we have a lot of 3 and D players...and I could get on board with that.  But as of right now, the numbers don't really support the idea that we are a good 3 pt shooting team.  Not for average.  Not for attempts.  Not for makes.

Now if your argument is that they should be better in average, attempts and makes...ok.  But I don't see statistical support for your position at this time.

Last thing for me on this (not picking on you KBM just passing time).  The Grizz are the 17th (51%) best team in the league with 2 pt %.   Again, middle of the pack.

Now that said...if you take 100 shots per game and they are all 3 point shots the Grizz score 104.1 pts per 100 shots.

If you take 100 2pt shots the Grizz get 102 pts per 100 shots.

I am pretty sure that is the basis of the argument for why the league has changed the volume of 3pt shots being taken.  But if you are playing a team who is flat out better at making 3's you are in a bind if they are committed to the volume.

8 minutes ago, Gradey said:

The stats I see do not show what you are pointing to.  I get the idea that we have a lot of 3 and D players...and I could get on board with that.  But as of right now, the numbers don't really support the idea that we are a good 3 pt shooting team.  Not for average.  Not for attempts.  Not for makes.

Now if your argument is that they should be better in average, attempts and makes...ok.  But I don't see statistical support for your position at this time.

The numbers that I looked up was that the Grizzlies or maybe like .01% in 3-point percentage from Golden State.

Of course golden state has a lot higher volume, but the fact is that the Grizzlies are doing this with a half-court offense which is a lot harder to get a rhythm 3 in.

No the Grizzlies don't have a Kevin Durant a Steph Curry or James harden to hit five or six of game. 

But the grizzly do have a wealth of capable 3-point shooters who can also defend the three.

I'm sorry but the grizzly should be a lot better NBA top 10 3-point shooting team and a the top 10 3-point defending team.

There was a time when the Grizzlies had to slow the game down because they had no athletes.

And they had to set up their defense. I don't think that's the case anymore. 

The grizzly should be able to run up and down the court with anybody. It's a defeatist mentality to sit there and have to always play slow down offense because you're worried about somebody popping 10 threes on you

Yeah dude im 100% with you on that.  I'm tired of this slow stuff.  If we have to move on from some players to get over this style of play I'm down with it.  It may allow you to stay in some games you shouldn't...but it also allows you to be put into a position where you lose games you should dominate. 

If you shoot a low volume (bottom 5) and still make a low percentage (bottom 10)....what does this tell you? The Grizzlies really only shoot them when they are open and Conley is the only guy who will take one off the dribble or under stress. Whats gone happen to the percentage if they start chucking them up like other teams?

And on another note, when did you become a fan of shooting lots of threes? You are really getting desperate for a scaepegoat to this mess.

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

If you shoot a low volume (bottom 5) and still make a low percentage (bottom 10)....what does this tell you? The Grizzlies really only shoot them when they are open and Conley is the only guy who will take one off the dribble or under stress. Whats gone happen to the percentage if they start chucking them up like other teams?

And on another note, when did you become a fan of shooting lots of threes? You are really getting desperate for a scaepegoat to this mess.

It tells me that the grizzly don't care nothing about shooting threes and I don't even basw an offense around it.

I mean you can act like the Grizzlies are terrible at three-point shooting but the facts aren't there

And another thing that would stand in our way of an up tempo offense is lack of ballhandlers. You got one ballhandler to push the ball. Are you gone ask him to score everything then work the life out of him pushing the ball? The next two good ballhandlers/facilitators have mud on their shoes (Kyle and Shelvin). Your best passer is a 280 pound mid 30's big man.

I dont buy into the gloom and doom. We are literally 3 games out of the playoffs at this point, and it is a wide open Western Conference with lots of teams competitive. no surprise there- we hit a slump. it happens. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

It tells me that the grizzly don't care nothing about shooting threes and I don't even basw an offense around it.

I mean you can act like the Grizzlies are terrible at three-point shooting but the facts aren't there

The "facts" are there. You saw them earlier. They are 26th in volume and 21st in percentage. Its only your opinion that they can be better.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And another thing that would stand in our way of an up tempo offense is lack of ballhandlers. You got one ballhandler to push the ball. Are you gone ask him to score everything then work the life out of him pushing the ball? The next two good ballhandlers/facilitators have mud on their shoes (Kyle and Shelvin). Your best passer is a 280 pound mid 30's big man.

This is a hot take but I would not mind a bit if Mike Conley average 15 points a game and spent most of his time passing the ball is setting up 3-point shooters and playing defense.

Have Mike take about 12 shots of game and half of them be 3-pointers.

I'm curious to see if there is any way we can find out how many threes the Grizzlies take relative to their pace. Clearly the Grizzlies aren't a great shooting team but with their slower pace are the actual attempt numbers even relevant? 

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'm curious to see if there is any way we can find out how many threes the Grizzlies take relative to their pace. Clearly the Grizzlies aren't a great shooting team but with their slower pace are the actual attempt numbers even relevant? 

The grizzly should be taken at least 35 3 is regardless of pace

If I may- if you watched the grizz of 2018 you saw a team that was running an offense. In my opinion we are playing too much one on one ball and we don't have the athletes to do that. So we have to get back to calling plays and being disciplined on both ends of the floor. Its not a one player problem (for all you Gasol haters) it is a team problem. And probably a coaching problem. if teams have figured out how to stop the plays you are running, then draw up some new plays. its not rocket science. we dont have a lebron or a durant, we need to play with the cards we have until JJJ becomes who he is meant to be