Ole Dirty Klondike

This Entire Organization Lacks Leadership

Recommended Posts

On 1/6/2019 at 5:59 PM, lions said:

I miss Michael heisley  Memphis is a small market but the man cared about his fans and grizzlies .this new ownership is a joke compared to heisley

I don't know how much he cared about the fans or this town, but truthfully, the man made his mark by turning lemons into lemonade, and he applied those same principles to the Grizzlies, and they became winners - twice - under his watch.  He did lead - he was actually a pretty honest guy, even if not everything he said is what you wanted to hear.  He made several moves that were mocked, and rightfully so, but I believed him when he said his goal was to win a championship.  He was a businessman through and through, and ran his organization that way.  The money he made off of FedEx Forum, the way he put the local ownership in a box, these were business moves, and showed his savvy.  I didn't like many of the things he did, but could respect his decisiveness. 

I don't think of Robert Pera as a bad owner, I think that he doesn't know what to do as a major league franchise owner.  I can't call him a bad owner if he's just ignorant (in the truest sense of the word).  I think he had good intentions but some of the early difficulties he faced within the organization may have made him a little gun shy.  He comes from a different generation, a different mindset, he made his money a different way.  I think this is a status symbol for him. He is part of an exclusive club.  Good for him.  At least he didn't come in here with the intent to move the team.  Maybe that doesn't make him very effective, but IMO, we could have gotten worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

 

Do you mean like trading future assets/trade chips for a half-year rental that can't make a shot even though the season is toast?

Since 12/15 (so not just a Grizzlies trend) Justin Holiday has shot 24-96 (25%) from the field and 12-57 (21%) from 3.

Yep, exactly that. Chris Wallace is actually running out of assets to trade, though, if only because the Grizzlies don't actually have that many draft picks left to trade away and because the team doesn't have that many desirable players with reasonable contracts on the roster to trade away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HPGrizz said:

Yep, exactly that. Chris Wallace is actually running out of assets to trade, though, if only because the Grizzlies don't actually have that many draft picks left to trade away and because the team doesn't have that many desirable players with reasonable contracts on the roster to trade away.

So why is everyone bitching at JB? He doesn't have any assets on the team, one of his top 3 players has been banned from the locker room, his top two players are aging and battling thru minor injuries that a few games off would likely help but he has to win now so he can't sit them. It's an unwinnable situation he is in and the Front Office is letting him take the heat for their poor decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

So why is everyone bitching at JB? He doesn't have any assets on the team, one of his top 3 players has been banned from the locker room, his top two players are aging and battling thru minor injuries that a few games off would likely help but he has to win now so he can't sit them. It's an unwinnable situation he is in and the Front Office is letting him take the heat for their poor decisions. 

There's fair criticism, like pointing at the decision not to work at all on offense during training camp and preseason, or his inability to draw a few offensive sets in half a season, and there's scapegoating, which has been a constant in these forums since they've existed.

And it's funny that Chris Wallace always has one or two available scapegoats in the bag for when the heat increases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

There's fair criticism, like pointing at the decision not to work at all on offense during training camp and preseason, or his inability to draw a few offensive sets in half a season, and there's scapegoating, which has been a constant in these forums since they've existed.

And it's funny that Chris Wallace always has one or two available scapegoats in the bag for when the heat increases.

Image result for scapegoats meme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HPGrizz said:

Yep, exactly that. Chris Wallace is actually running out of assets to trade, though, if only because the Grizzlies don't actually have that many draft picks left to trade away and because the team doesn't have that many desirable players with reasonable contracts on the roster to trade away.

Since the season is lost, they need to start and play Dillon Brooks at 2 guard. Get him averaging 13-14 ppg and maybe he becomes a guy that other teams are interested in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Since the season is lost, they need to start and play Dillon Brooks at 2 guard. Get him averaging 13-14 ppg and maybe he becomes a guy that other teams are interested in.

I blame you for the recent news! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Since the season is lost, they need to start and play Dillon Brooks at 2 guard. Get him averaging 13-14 ppg and maybe he becomes a guy that other teams are interested in.

So much for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I blame you for the recent news! 😉

 

7 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

So much for that!

:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

We can bring Andrew Harrison back.  He just got cut.

Ouch. That's the third time this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is in crisis

No leadership, no management, no desire, strategy (coaching or otherwise) not much skill.

How much worse does it need to get before the bow breaks and the cradle falls?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, chipc3 said:

So why is everyone bitching at JB? He doesn't have any assets on the team, one of his top 3 players has been banned from the locker room, his top two players are aging and battling thru minor injuries that a few games off would likely help but he has to win now so he can't sit them. It's an unwinnable situation he is in and the Front Office is letting him take the heat for their poor decisions. 

J.B. got his job because of this exact situation.  He got dealt a poop hand and that’s what he has to play with.   I’m not a lover or a hater of the man, but his rotations are questionable at times.  Ordinary folk like me don’t know what orders he’s getting from above so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he’s yet to demonstrate why he’s anything other than a stop gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigHunkALove said:

This team is in crisis

No leadership, no management, no desire, strategy (coaching or otherwise) not much skill.

How much worse does it need to get before the bow breaks and the cradle falls?

 

Well, we have the 7th worst record in the league. might as well bottom out at this point in time. We're wasting Mike and Marc's career. This team ain't going to do anything as long as they are around. Sadly, we can't get much for them and we would have to trade a 1st rounder to get rid of Chancun. This has been long in the making. The lack of a strategy and lack of leadership has gotten us to where we are and there are no easy way outs. There is no magic pill to fix everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

This team is in crisis

No leadership, no management, no desire, strategy (coaching or otherwise) not much skill.

How much worse does it need to get before the bow breaks and the cradle falls?

 

These boards are about the most stable thing we have as fans...unless ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Pera going to do something about this? Or is he going to keep the team status quo and make changes in the offseason? Obviously he could do one or more of these: 1. fire Wallace, 2. fire JB, 3. trade Marc, 4. trade Mike, 5. trade Temple/Green/Holiday, 6. trade Parsons. The easiest thing to do is option 5 which is to trade Temple, Green or Holiday, but this move likely won’t help the team much. There is no short term fix and I think the only solution to this mess is option 1 fire Wallace and then go hire someone much more competent and will give the team and the fans hope again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

This team is in crisis

No leadership, no management, no desire, strategy (coaching or otherwise) not much skill.

How much worse does it need to get before the bow breaks and the cradle falls?

 

I’m sure the front office will work diligently to get this team back to playing at a high level 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JJJTG said:

J.B. got his job because of this exact situation.  He got dealt a poop hand and that’s what he has to play with.   I’m not a lover or a hater of the man, but his rotations are questionable at times.  Ordinary folk like me don’t know what orders he’s getting from above so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he’s yet to demonstrate why he’s anything other than a stop gap.

His rotations are more than questionable and he has no strategy outside of whatever Marc wants.   I have been at several games and the difference between the sets and schemes from our opponents versus ours are night and day.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now