Ole Dirty Klondike

This Entire Organization Lacks Leadership

6 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

You're trying to preach to someone who professes that coaches don't matter, so you're response won't be comprehensible to him

Well, he has claimed that coaches don't matter, except for a couple head coaches, so coaches don't matter but a couple of them do. Whatever.

To deny leadership matters is just plain nuts.

53 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Being a strong coach does not mean you have to roll out the same lineup all the time. That is just ridiculous. If anything, it is just the opposite. A strong coach recognizes when a player isn't doing what is expected and changes things for the betterment of the team. A strong coach recognizes that rookies need playing time to get better and finds ways to get them into the lineup today so they will be better tomorrow. You seem to confuse stubbornness with being strong. Two totally different things. You make me laugh sometimes. 

The one thing Lionel Hollins had that the rest of the coaches didn't have was a vision for the team. In fact, when lionel crafted this team, nobody in the league was doing how lionel wanted it done. He was an old school coach with an old school approach and now you look at the league and many many teams have taken grizzlies principles to heart. Hell, Houston nearly upset golden state with a Memphis defense and a mr pringles offense.

Ultimately, I would love for the grizzlies to do the opposite of what the rockets did and incorporate a rockets offense to go with our defense.

This team is no longer Mike and Marc’s team. This is now JJJ’s team. In two years, this team would be completely different, which excites me but also is scary because of Chris Wallace. I don’t know what is going to happen, but Marc to LA Lakers and Mike to Philly seems like a pretty good fit. Mike to Milwaukee isn’t too shabby either. Needless to say, Wallace needs to start calling teams with them two. Oubre could’ve been the scapegoat for the team failures, but Wallace screwed that up. Pera isn’t an owner either. He’s just a guy in California that is living his life, he doesn’t give a **** about this organization. He is an owner of this team just to say “I’m an owner of the Grizzlies” to all his Cali buddies. I thought this team had a bad stretch in December because of a tough schedule, but now, it’s more than that.

30 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

This team is no longer Mike and Marc’s team. This is now JJJ’s team. In two years, this team would be completely different, which excites me but also is scary because of Chris Wallace. I don’t know what is going to happen, but Marc to LA Lakers and Mike to Philly seems like a pretty good fit. Mike to Milwaukee isn’t too shabby either. Needless to say, Wallace needs to start calling teams with them two. Oubre could’ve been the scapegoat for the team failures, but Wallace screwed that up. Pera isn’t an owner either. He’s just a guy in California that is living his life, he doesn’t give a **** about this organization. He is an owner of this team just to say “I’m an owner of the Grizzlies” to all his Cali buddies. I thought this team had a bad stretch in December because of a tough schedule, but now, it’s more than that.

Pera is an owner because having an NBA franchise makes you money, it appreciates in value, year on year, never goes down

But you're right, he doesn't give a        about this city, and if Abadi told him to move the team to make more money, guess what?

WE NEED TO GET GUYS IN HERE THAT ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT MANAGING A BB TEAM

It's hard to have a strong head coach when the FO has a record of removing coaches that aren't necessarily fired for performance, but for disagreeing with them.  Strong head coaches are head strong.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

It's hard to have a strong head coach when the FO has a record of removing coaches that aren't necessarily fired for performance, but for disagreeing with them.  Strong head coaches are head strong.

This comment could apply to most of the teams in the league. Heck, 10 teams had new head coaches just this season. At some point, JB will no longer be the head coach. So should the FO look at their past and not learn from it? Of course not.

Pera claimed that this team would win 50 games. It's safe to say that isn't happening. He, and/or the FO thought a healthy Conley and Gasol could get them there, and they were clearly wrong. If you take any stock in what Pera said in that interview, then they realize they were wrong and they will make changes. If you think Pera is full of it and the team is nothing more than an investment, then he will still make changes because value of NBA franchises rise and fall due to how well they do, especially small market teams. 

The premise of this thread is about leadership. Good leadership always makes a difference. There is no denying that. Good leadership is strong leadership. It goes hand in hand. On equal footing, strong leadership always beats weak leadership. 

I am inclined to believe what Pera said in that interview. The move to higher BBIQ players, being concerned about team culture, and looking at players character before drafting them tells me he is genuine. Healthy Mike and Marc vs the world has failed, and he is now forced to choose a new path for the team. Pera wants to keep Mike and Marc around because of the team culture. JJJ is clearly the future of the team. How much of JJJ's development depends on the presence of Mike and Marc? Mike, Marc and Jam are the last of the playoff Grizzlies. Are they needed to maintain the team culture Pera wants or can that be achieved with a strong coaching staff? Either way, they aren't playing winning basketball, which is the cornerstone of good team culture, so what does he do?

If Pera was being truthful, we should expect some big changes before June 1st. As always, the easiest move is to remove the coach. The hardest part of moving Conley and/or Gasol will be finding takers willing to give back something close to equal in a trade. It will only make sense that the new coaching staff would be seen as "strong".

I miss Michael heisley  Memphis is a small market but the man cared about his fans and grizzlies .this new ownership is a joke compared to heisley

I just heard from a reliable outside source that Chris Wallace and John Hollinger have been removed from all day to day duties with the club and the decisions are being made by Tayshaun Prince and Makris now. I don't know if this happened prior to the trade or the Parsons' situation. Apparently the two are being kept around as faces of the franchise now and to take any heat from fans and the media but are not involved in any decisions about personnel with the team. 

I repeat this comes from someone I feel is reliable but is not inside the Grizzlies Front Office so take it however you wish. 

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I just heard from a reliable outside source that Chris Wallace and John Hollinger have been removed from all day to day duties with the club and the decisions are being made by Tayshaun Prince and Makris now. I don't know if this happened prior to the trade or the Parsons' situation. Apparently the two are being kept around as faces of the franchise now and to take any heat from fans and the media but are not involved in any decisions about personnel with the team. 

I repeat this comes from someone I feel is reliable but is not inside the Grizzlies Front Office so take it however you wish. 

I sure hope you are right.

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Interesting. Was this a recent change? Parsons was reported to be yelling “Let me play!” at CW during recent practice, I’d assume he wouldn’t do that if he was just a figurehead. Basically I’d like to know if the change happened before or after the recent turmoil.

Change would be refreshing but I’m not sure Prince / Makris as GM are the best long term option. Baby steps.

24 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Interesting. Was this a recent change? Parsons was reported to be yelling “Let me play!” at CW during recent practice, I’d assume he wouldn’t do that if he was just a figurehead. Basically I’d like to know if the change happened before or after the recent turmoil.

Change would be refreshing but I’m not sure Prince / Makris as GM are the best long term option. Baby steps.

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Question answered before it was asked.  

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This may be the one time i really hope you are right!! 

Prince and Wallace were sitting together at the Spurs game 2 nights ago. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Question answered before it was asked.  

Ok...

Anyway it looks like at least 2 weeks ago CW was still calling the shots.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

This is the second time that has happened to Wallace. I know a check is a check but what kinda man allows people to keep stepping on him, kicked to the side and told to just be a puppet over and over? Personally I got more pride than that.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This could be the beginning of the end for Wallace and Hollinger

This event, on top of all other previous ones which look slight in comparison, could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The previous crap draft picks, Rudy Gay trade, Leuer, Jeff Green etc etc can be argued to be subjective but not crippling to the organisation as a one off event. But the Parsons signing definitely was and is. Then add that to the previously mentioned.......

I would not be surprised if, when all the smoke clears, in the off season, there is an announcement that these two are gone

Look at Thibs, he may have had critics, but the Jimmy Butler thing, even if Butler is a cancer and an A  hole, was enough for the management to say enough is enough

29 minutes ago, Dwash said:

This is the second time that has happened to Wallace. I know a check is a check but what kinda man allows people to keep stepping on him, kicked to the side and told to just be a puppet over and over? Personally I got more pride than that.

Wallace's greatest ability is the willingness to take bullets for the rest of the organization.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I tend to believe this. About a month ago in an interview with Calkins, Pera hinted that while Wallace is the GM and supposed leader, others will have more of a direct line to him going forward:

Q: How does the chain of command work?

A: Chris is the GM, he reports to me. But my style, like with Ubiquiti (Pera’s company), pretty much everybody in Ubiquiti, all the engineers, pretty much have just one layer between me and them. And I’m trying to establish a similar culture in the basketball operations. So whether it’s Zach (Kleiman), John Hollinger or Tayshaun (Prince), they all have a line to me. But Chris is the leader.

Q: What is Joe Abadi’s role?

A: Joe was here to navigate all of that tumultuous ownership issue and I think he did a great job in doing that. He’s my personal business manager and attorney. I have him a lot of the time working on a lot of other projects. And I’ve kind of stepped in and become more hands on this year.

Q: Is he still involved in the basketball side?

A: He’s not much involved.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

If JB wanted Parsons to play and believed he could contribute and Wallace was stopping that, this move (if true) could possibly suggest a pathway where he might actually return.  I don't believe that is what is happening, but Pera can't easily get away from Parsons role and contract in this debacle, but he can remove Wallace.

It would be real interesting to know Marc & Mike's thoughts on this whole situation, especially if Pera asked them, especially since there are people on here who believe they make personnel decisions based on the info that Pera ate a meal with them once.

It doesn't make sense. If Wallace is no longer involved, why send both him and Prince to San Antonio last game? When the camera panned on them they were in conversation. They didn't look awkward. If Wallace is just a "face" for the franchise there is no reason for him to go to San Antonio. Right about now I could believe almost anything, but it just doesn't add up.

2 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

This could be the beginning of the end for Wallace and Hollinger

This event, on top of all other previous ones which look slight in comparison, could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

The previous crap draft picks, Rudy Gay trade, Leuer, Jeff Green etc etc can be argued to be subjective but not crippling to the organisation as a one off event. But the Parsons signing definitely was and is. Then add that to the previously mentioned.......

I would not be surprised if, when all the smoke clears, in the off season, there is an announcement that these two are gone

Look at Thibs, he may have had critics, but the Jimmy Butler thing, even if Butler is a cancer and an A  hole, was enough for the management to say enough is enough

I hope that it is the end of those two. They haven't really done anything to stay in the office 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I have learned that your 'reliable sources' are usually pretty reliable

please please please BE RIGHT !!!

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

It doesn't make sense. If Wallace is no longer involved, why send both him and Prince to San Antonio last game? When the camera panned on them they were in conversation. They didn't look awkward. If Wallace is just a "face" for the franchise there is no reason for him to go to San Antonio. Right about now I could believe almost anything, but it just doesn't add up.

Honestly this is my feeling as well. I don’t know what to believe, who is making the decisions and why.

12 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I have learned that your 'reliable sources' are usually pretty reliable

please please please BE RIGHT !!!

We can hope. The problem is that if Wallace is still making decisions for this franchise, then the possibility is there that he could make even more reckless decisions in an attempt to save his job, as GMs who are fighting for their jobs will oftentimes make disastrous decisions in an attempt to save their job rather than doing what is best long-term for the franchise.

8 hours ago, HPGrizz said:

We can hope. The problem is that if Wallace is still making decisions for this franchise, then the possibility is there that he could make even more reckless decisions in an attempt to save his job, as GMs who are fighting for their jobs will oftentimes make disastrous decisions in an attempt to save their job rather than doing what is best long-term for the franchise.

Do you mean like trading future assets/trade chips for a half-year rental that can't make a shot even though the season is toast?

Since 12/15 (so not just a Grizzlies trend) Justin Holiday has shot 24-96 (25%) from the field and 12-57 (21%) from 3.