chipc3

Free Ivan Rabb

32 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yep, but a lot of folks around here just don't seem to care about defense.

And they pushed him out the door. Things haven't been the same since. You think maybe Gasol got the same feeling as TA & Z did when they had to go?

On 2/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, smit-tay griz said:

How does this support your point?  Tony was a veteran, Xavier a rookie.  Was Lionel's love of playing rookies getting in the way of TA's career?  Anyway it really wasn't Xavier getting hurt anyway because Sam Young took Xavier's spot.  Tony got burn when Rudy got hurt, Sam moved to SF, and TA took Sam's spot at SG.  We had some new faces, TA being one of them.  You can't expect a coach to know who fits best after one game.

Always trying to act like Hollins didn't know rotations or how to use players or wouldn't play young guys when none of those assumptions can be supported with evidence.  Most folks on these boards were PO'd that he didn't start OJ Mayo, but looking back now Lionel's choice has been vindicated.

Hollins starting the 4th quarter of the Clips' game 7 with Haddadi and Arenas is an underrated atg horrible rotation move.

6 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Hollins starting the 4th quarter of the Clips' game 7 with Haddadi and Arenas is an underrated atg horrible rotation move.

Maybe, but how gassed were the guys?  You can't play 'em 48 minutes.  I really don't remember anymore what the circumstances were.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Maybe, but how gassed were the guys?  You can't play 'em 48 minutes.  I really don't remember anymore what the circumstances were.

I can't remember the specifics either but I think he didn't stagger the starters good enough. We lost that game 7 in that stretch tho. I want to say we had Cunningham, Arenas, Mayo and QPon on the floor for a decent stretch in that 4th quarter start.

I saw Haddadi play 1 heckuva game 1 night against Denver, the starters wasn't doing anything Hollins put the subs in and the Grizz came back and won that game. I never thought that Haddadi got the credit he deserved from Hollins or this board but I think the fans really liked him.

We were up 20 something going into the 4th and we were killing them. They dropped a couple of three’s, got some easy scores, and the unease started to emerge in the arena. A few more 3’s by Nick Young and the momentum turned in their favor. I can’t remember at what point the starters came back in, but everything just started going right for them and wrong for us. My buddy sitting next to me was a Kings fan, so he didn’t really care who won. He was having a blast because of the comeback, not realizing how close he was to getting thrown over the rail. 

2 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I saw Haddadi play 1 heckuva game 1 night against Denver, the starters wasn't doing anything Hollins put the subs in and the Grizz came back and won that game. I never thought that Haddadi got the credit he deserved from Hollins or this board but I think the fans really liked him.

I think most liked Hadadi, but Coach Hesam left  nothing else to say.

Memory plays tricks on people. I went back and looked at the box score of that game. O J Mayo shot 1-11 (and was -24 +/- for the game), Mike Conley shot 2-13 and Zach Randolph was 3-12. Arenas and Cunningham played each played 2:50. 

I don't believe we should point fingers at a lineup that at most played less than 3 minutes together as the problem. The big scorers for the Grizzlies failed to shoot well is why the Grizzlies lost that game. 

5 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I can't remember the specifics either but I think he didn't stagger the starters good enough. We lost that game 7 in that stretch tho. I want to say we had Cunningham, Arenas, Mayo and QPon on the floor for a decent stretch in that 4th quarter start.

OJ Mayo PG!!   that was when he finally relented and put the Juice there.  

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

OJ Mayo PG!!   that was when he finally relented and put the Juice there.  

Actually Mayo played around 25 minutes that game and Tony Allen played 24. If you go back and look at the play by play to start the 4th quarter you can see that QPon and Arenas weren't on the floor at the same time also. Conley replaced Arenas when QPon entered the game for Rudy Gay. 

I don't believe that we can surmise Hollins was playing Mayo at the point too much in that game.

Tony Allen shot 3-8 and the team was +11 when he was on the court. Compare that to Mayo's 1-11 shooting and his -24 rating. The Grizzlies lost the game by 10 points. 

Hollins relented in the summer league when he let OJ show what he could do and he crapped out pretty badly.  

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Actually Mayo played around 25 minutes that game and Tony Allen played 24. If you go back and look at the play by play to start the 4th quarter you can see that QPon and Arenas weren't on the floor at the same time also. Conley replaced Arenas when QPon entered the game for Rudy Gay. 

I don't believe that we can surmise Hollins was playing Mayo at the point too much in that game.

Tony Allen shot 3-8 and the team was +11 when he was on the court. Compare that to Mayo's 1-11 shooting and his -24 rating. The Grizzlies lost the game by 10 points. 

Hollins relented in the summer league when he let OJ show what he could do and he crapped out pretty badly.  

Oh i know he barely played PG that game but he did unleash it for a minute or two.   Eric Bledsoe promptly destroyed him and buried that dream forever lmao.  

12 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I don't remember Haddadi ever starting a Q, maybe that was before my time.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, costarica2 said:

Rabb is a post player with a Strech 4 body .

He has two choices in my opinion either he bulks up 10 to 15 pounds .

Or he starts shooting 3s.

Rabb looks like he is about the size Bill Russell was when he played in the 60s against Chamberlain, maybe an inch taller than Russell. He's no Bill Russell though.

45 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Oh i know he barely played PG that game but he did unleash it for a minute or two.   Eric Bledsoe promptly destroyed him and buried that dream forever lmao.  

Yeah, Hollins played Mayo at PG and Bledsoe took his lunch in one of the earlier games. 

I looked up the Haddadi minutes on the play by play. He entered 2:57 left in the 3rd with Memphis up 3, left the game at 11:08 of the 4th with Memphis down 4. An ATG coaching mistake. We lost the Clips series because of bad coaching.

7 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Yeah, Hollins played Mayo at PG and Bledsoe took his lunch in one of the earlier games. 

I looked up the Haddadi minutes on the play by play. He entered 2:57 left in the 3rd with Memphis up 3, left the game at 11:08 of the 4th with Memphis down 4. An ATG coaching mistake. We lost the Clips series because of bad coaching.

One could also say the Grizzlies lost the game because of poor roster construction. There is no reason a player of Hamed's talent should have been on the court in a critical Game 7 situation unless the team had no other more adequate replacement at center. 

As someone once said "It is hard to have champagne tastes on a beer budget."

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Not to make this thread stray but I don't know which thread we were on but Rick Carlisle and Bill Sharman also win championships both of whom played for the Celtics but I thought there was another guy who played with Chamberlain at SF won 1 too.

11 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

To blame it on Haddadi, 1 would have to watch the game again. Just because he was in the game doesn't mean it was his fault the Grizz fell behind. 

30 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

One could also say the Grizzlies lost the game because of poor roster construction. There is no reason a player of Hamed's talent should have been on the court in a critical Game 7 situation unless the team had no other more adequate replacement at center. 

The Clippers were playing Reggie Evans at backup c and a raw DeAndre Jordan, no reason to even play a backup C. 

I think the Brooklyn stint exposed him for what he is.

3 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The Clippers were playing Reggie Evans at backup c and a raw DeAndre Jordan, no reason to even play a backup C. 

I think the Brooklyn stint exposed him for what he is.

You know I have never had a big love for coaches. They are all over-rated. Coaches get too much credit and too much blame. Smart coaches don't win with bad teams. dumb coaches don't lose with good teams. Focus on the roster development and the coaching tends to take care of itself. Very few, but there are some, coaches make a difference in the outcome. 

9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Grizz loss that series cuz Zbo came back late in the season and wasn't back to his full bludgeoning self.    He came back and immediately got treated as a primary scorer with Rudy.  When both of them weren't worthy of the mantle at that time. 

We prob had one of the deeper rosters during GnG era at that time.  

Rudy, Zbo, Marc, Mike, Tony, OJ, Qpon, Speights, Dante and Arenas is a legit squad.    

You do realize that IIWII just stated that Lionel Hollins was exposed as a bad coach because he played four of the players you just mentioned for a few minutes together. If the players were solid then the coach shouldn't be blamed for playing them should he? 

My suggestion is the team wasn't mentally tough enough which was exposed by their shooting percentages in Game 7. 

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Grizz loss that series cuz Zbo came back late in the season and wasn't back to his full bludgeoning self.    He came back and immediately got treated as a primary scorer with Rudy.  When both of them weren't worthy of the mantle at that time. 

We prob had one of the deeper rosters during GnG era at that time.  

Rudy, Zbo, Marc, Mike, Tony, OJ, Qpon, Speights, Dante and Arenas is a legit squad.    

Arenas sucked

47 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You do realize that IIWII just stated that Lionel Hollins was exposed as a bad coach because he played four of the players you just mentioned for a few minutes together. If the players were solid then the coach shouldn't be blamed for playing them should he? 

My suggestion is the team wasn't mentally tough enough which was exposed by their shooting percentages in Game 7. 

Its not just playing them its how you play them.  That's why coaching is important.     Playing OJ wasn't the problem but playing him at PG was.   Arenas would've done better handling the ball as he actually had years of experience there. 

But IIWII is right and that was when i started really questioning Hollins ability to adapt as a Coach and saw a limited ceiling under him. 

one problem I see with rabb his is size I feel he is to thin. unless he can get some size and strength he will always be a role player

and Memphis had many role players come in and out of there