chipc3

Free Ivan Rabb

19 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I saw tonight why the Grizzlies aren’t as high on Ivan Rabb as I have been. Sure he had a double double in 21 minutes but he struggled all night guarding guys on the perimeter and is too small to pound with the bigs down low. His skill is undeniable but he’s a player without a position in the modern NBA game.

Small ball center?

No one was able to guard the perimeter tonight.  I think the Grizzlies allow themselves to be forced into switches too often with a big guarding a little guy on the perimeter.  I'm not giving up on him yet.

45 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I saw tonight why the Grizzlies aren’t as high on Ivan Rabb as I have been. Sure he had a double double in 21 minutes but he struggled all night guarding guys on the perimeter and is too small to pound with the bigs down low. His skill is undeniable but he’s a player without a position in the modern NBA game.

Pssst... we have a seven foot CENTER that plays like the paint is hot lava. 

Positions ? 

Good game for Ivan vs the T-Wolves

He will never be Towns or Embiid but given our poor situation he should have more minutes

Yeah I don't care what Rabb did tonight he's too small for his skill set. We need to clean house of all the players who don't fit with Jaren going forward. There needs to be an actual plan in place and defense does not need to be the captain of this ship. I'd much prefer they go with a length and versatility approach similar to Milwaukee. Since our two building blocks seen to be Jaren and Kyle with Bruno possibly becoming the first player who fits the criteria of a guy who can grow with them. All three of them are long and have versatile skills we should focus on that going forward.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yeah I don't care what Rabb did tonight he's too small for his skill set. 

Sad but true.  Seeing him against KAT and a few weeks ago against Embid; he is dwarfed by those guys.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as an end of bench PF, provided he can expand his game a little.

He's about as big as JaM I think so theoretically he can play PF.

He's a damned good rebounder.

nobody can stop Embiid right now, but I dont say that Rabb will become an all star or a piece for a playoff run, but he can be easily a rotation player. I saw a lot worse! You need 15 guys on your roster and Ivan has a good contract for next year. 

Our season is over, we can't beat the Wolves without Teague, D-Rose and Covington, so... let's play the young fella instead of 34yo Noah. 

1 hour ago, Myers said:

nobody can stop Embiid right now, but I dont say that Rabb will become an all star or a piece for a playoff run, but he can be easily a rotation player. I saw a lot worse! You need 15 guys on your roster and Ivan has a good contract for next year. 

Our season is over, we can't beat the Wolves without Teague, D-Rose and Covington, so... let's play the young fella instead of 34yo Noah. 

Yea i am siding with you on this one.   Measuring Rabb by how he defends Embiid and KAT is like measuring a wing by how they guard Harden or LeBron.

He is 6'10 w/7'2' wingspan and about 225lbs.   Those are solid measurements for a PF (He is bigger than JaMychal).   He is a really good/borderline elite rebounder and a good low post scorer.   He showed 3pt range in the G-League so that is something he is capable of.   Offensively he is prob the most gifted low post scorer on the team.   I'd rank it Rabb, Jaren, and then Marc. 

Problem is he needs to be viewed as an interior scorer first and foremost and used that way.    He hasn't really had a role defined on the team and that hurts him.    There are plenty of big men in the NBA that can't defend their position but that is usually offset by what they offer on offense.   Rabb can get you buckets and rebounds.   Why isn't that being exploited more on a team that is void of "buckets and rebounds".    I wouldn't measure Rabb against starting Bigs but how does he hold his own against backups.    If he gives up points on defense does he get them back on offense?   

Jahil Okafor is a terrible defender too and lacks athleticism to really improve.   Only difference between him and Rabb is bulk and length.  Yet there are people on this board that want to go pick him up for his offense.  Well i am telling you Rabb is really similar offensively and provides great rebounding. Neither can defend.   

What needs to happen with Rabb is JB(oh crap well no way this happens) needs to use him as the second unit offensive focal.    Noah should be used as primary rebounder/defender and Rabb as the interior scorer/bucket getter.    Second unit doesn't have any other scorers (Carter, Mack,  Casspi, Bruno, Noah, Holiday.....who???)  He is far and away most consistent (.60FG%) offensive option they have.   

He is only 21y so it isn't like the book has closed on him.   He is a smart kid and hard worker so giving him real minutes in the games is how guys learn to adapt to their weaknesses and grow.   Plus it is very possible for him to gain more strength and weight in offseason to be able to defend better.    It isn't like he relies solely on athleticism to be effective.    

Rabb's obstacles to being a plus contributor are much less than other guys on our roster.   All he has to do is be more confident in his 3pt shooting and bulk up more to be able to defend in the post.      If a guy can hit corner 3s, rebound at a high rate and score efficiently in the post and reasonably defend his position.   Who cares if will never be able to chase guards around on the perimeter?!?

Key to having a career in the NBA is actually have a real NBA skill that you are good at.    Rabb is a really good rebounder and post scorer.    Good coach would be able to use those skills to help the team.  oh well......

7 hours ago, Myers said:

Good game for Ivan vs the T-Wolves

He will never be Towns or Embiid but given our poor situation he should have more minutes

It all depends on his mindset.

Last night he played mad at the world instead of timid and indecisive. He brought energy and hustle.

THAT version of Ivan Rabb is useful. The other version is a career G League player.

5 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Sad but true.  Seeing him against KAT and a few weeks ago against Embid; he is dwarfed by those guys.

I wouldn't mind keeping him as an end of bench PF, provided he can expand his game a little.

He's about as big as JaM I think so theoretically he can play PF.

He's a damned good rebounder.

Would you feel the same way if JaMychal Green was being pushed around by Embiid and Towns? Rabb is a PF being forced to play a lot of minutes at center and that is not right. Rabb was far more effective playing PF next to Gasol than replacing Gasol in the middle. 

51 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Would you feel the same way if JaMychal Green was being pushed around by Embiid and Towns? Rabb is a PF being forced to play a lot of minutes at center and that is not right. Rabb was far more effective playing PF next to Gasol than replacing Gasol in the middle. 

Do Jaren and Rabb play well together?

I know some think he is a Do-Everything Unicorn Uber-Freak but to me he just looks like a small-ball center.  With Rabb doing classic "power forward" things.

Basically, we need to figure out ASAP if Jaren/Rabb have any promise as a pairing.

If not, we need to move on from one of them.  

Jaren/Dillon/Jevon/Conely/Parsons for Anthony Davis and Jru Holiday.  Make it happen!

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Do Jaren and Rabb play well together?

I know some think he is a Do-Everything Unicorn Uber-Freak but to me he just looks like a small-ball center.  With Rabb doing classic "power forward" things.

Basically, we need to figure out ASAP if Jaren/Rabb have any promise as a pairing.

If not, we need to move on from one of them.  

Jaren/Dillon/Jevon/Conely/Parsons for Anthony Davis and Jru Holiday.  Make it happen!

The amount of time they have spent together on the court is too small to make any real conclusions about how well they play together. 

We need to ship Gasol out of here fast and find if Rabb is going make it .

Then make a decision over the summer. 

55 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The amount of time they have spent together on the court is too small to make any real conclusions about how well they play together. 

That's what it looks like to me, too.

If Jaren/Rabb don't work as a combo then we need to figure something out.  Maybe Jaren has to man up and play the 5.

25 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

We need to ship Gasol out of here fast and find if Rabb is going make it .

Then make a decision over the summer. 

Going to make it as what? an 11th man.

We've had these same discussions about Deyontae Davis, Selden, Stokes, Wroten, Franklin, Jordan Adams, Harrison, Baldwin, Harrison, Zagorac.

P.S., I hate to spoil it for you but we're going to have this discussion about Jevon Carter in a year or 2.

These guys are all end of bench players. If you're competitive it's not relevant because they'll never see quality minutes.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Well, JaM is a little more seasoned so he's got a few tricks up his sleeve that Rabb doesn't; plus I'm pretty sure he's stronger.  Plus JaM is more athletic and aggressive.  The problem with JaM is that he will make a fair amount of boneheaded plays or commit dumb fouls.  Rabb on the other hand, looks like a fundamentally sound player who won't regularly commit silly fouls.

As ALT GRIND mentioned, I'd like to see Rabb and Jaren play together.  They seem to balance each other out somewhat.  

4 hours ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

We've had these same discussions about Deyontae Davis, Selden, Stokes, Wroten, Franklin, Jordan Adams, Harrison, Baldwin, Harrison, Zagorac.

P.S., I hate to spoil it for you but we're going to have this discussion about Jevon Carter in a year or 2.

These guys are all end of bench players. If you're competitive it's not relevant because they'll never see quality minutes.

I really thought Adams might work out for us

7 hours ago, CarloJ63 said:

Well, JaM is a little more seasoned so he's got a few tricks up his sleeve that Rabb doesn't; plus I'm pretty sure he's stronger.  Plus JaM is more athletic and aggressive.  The problem with JaM is that he will make a fair amount of boneheaded plays or commit dumb fouls.  Rabb on the other hand, looks like a fundamentally sound player who won't regularly commit silly fouls.

As ALT GRIND mentioned, I'd like to see Rabb and Jaren play together.  They seem to balance each other out somewhat.  

JaM is definitely more mature but his upside is more limited. The team should give Rabb more experience in games and see if he can mature. He’s only 21 after all. His skill set is far greater than JaM and he’s a lot younger.

My concern is the team is set on making him a center when it appears his natural position is PF. 

Season is dead so if we not try to give more min to young players now, when will it happen? Get rid of Gasol, put Rabb and Noah ( for rebound) and give more responsability to JJJ until the end the season. It can't be worse than now.  Gasol play more min than ever last month and we did win 1 game ..... 

On 1/31/2019 at 12:17 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

Except none of those guys produced as consistently as Rabb.  I'll be okay with an 11th man who can give you a double/double off the bench, or maybe 15 points like tonight.  In the Minny game the T-Wolves assistant, Ed Pinckney, during the halftime interview, said they had to do something about keeping Ivan off the boards.  If you're playing well enough that the opposition has to emphasize stopping you, I'd say you're playing pretty well.  I think he'll be in the league a while.

19 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Except none of those guys produced as consistently as Rabb.  I'll be okay with an 11th man who can give you a double/double off the bench, or maybe 15 points like tonight.  In the Minny game the T-Wolves assistant, Ed Pinckney, during the halftime interview, said they had to do something about keeping Ivan off the boards.  If you're playing well enough that the opposition has to emphasize stopping you, I'd say you're playing pretty well.  I think he'll be in the league a while.

Sooner we move on from JB, JaM, and Marc the better chance Rabb has of sticking around.   The rest of this season should be Rabb and Bruno audition to go forward with the team.  Heck to be honest they really have already solidified a spot.   They are both young and shown NBA ability.   I am with you that he should be at very least the 11th man no matter what with opportunity for promotion.  

Let Ivan Rabb play back up PF to Jaren Jackson Jr.

Let's trade Marc Gasol for a true center like Hassan Whiteside.

C Whiteside, Noah

PF Jackson, Rabb

SF Anderson, Caboclo

SG Holiday, Brooks

PG Conley, Mack, Carter

Looking at old stats and pictures of players and well, guys who played on some late 90's Spurs team maybe we drafted Charles Smith's kid.

If so, we need to go find one of Tim Duncan's kids. Or David Robinson's. Heck, even Rodman's.  

I don't know if it's the speed of the NBA game or what, but Ivan bobbles the ball a lot. I'm all for giving him lots of minutes this year.

I don't have a problem with a losing team as long as there is growth and giving the young guys playing time.