chipc3

Free Ivan Rabb

4 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

He's played 4 games with the Hustle this season. After those 4 games, he was named GLeague player of the week December 10th. We recalled him after that. I imagine the front office wants him to get some burn with the big boys, but it's up to JB. I'm sure we'll see more of him soon. 

He was BALLING too! 

I say - Jevon, Rabb, Yuta - stay 

and Mack can't LEAVE FAST ENOUGH!!!

I can get him one of those Bird scooters down there FULLY charged and help him get a good kick start on his way AWAY.

Noah has his bag of veteran tricks and receives his veteran respect from the refs as a nod to the work he has put in over the years.

NOW - IF Noah is playing - it SHOULD mean that one of Rabb or 13 is in foul trouble OR needs a breather.

If Mack is STILL HERE ... it means our coach has LOST HIS RABBIT and needs to be shown the door too . (too strong?)

Whoa, @10SC-2-TOKYO that was too strong.

Mix of CAPS, angry phrases, and a Bird scooter reference.

Too much venom.

(Side note: agree with @chipc3 Rabb should be getting minutes with Hustle, and sitting ready with big team when able. Not just for his own minutes, but to play with Yuta and Carter)

Noah is better defensively than Rabb and can rebound and run offense.  Plus im sure part of negotiations to get Noah to sign was promise of minutes.  Rabb is a 2nd year 2nd rounder he has no leverage.   Thats why noah gets minutes over Rabb.   

We all have to remember huge part of coaching is managing egos, unfortunately sometimes thats a bigger definer of rotation minutes than actual production.  

Rabb minutes wouldn't be an issue if Grizzly actually blew teams out or JB rested Gasol.   thats usually how 5th bigs get minutes normally.   those are the two real obstacles to him getting burn.

Well, IDK....my thing is this, when is the last time there was someone on the Grizz who the Grizz gave up on and then that person went on to go somewhere else to prove the Grizz wrong? I can't think of too many examples, maybe Lowry and Carroll but how long ago was that? Not sure they gave up on Lowry they just thought that Conley was a better fit. I say all of this to say, I'm not sure what Rabb can or cannot do on an NBA court, I think he has talent but the Grizz have much more opportunity to evaluate him than i do. If they are not giving him minutes, I would assume they don't have the confidence that he can contribute on a regular basis and the fact that they signed Noah only adds to the hypothesis that the Grizz don't believe in Rabb (at least not yet). Noah is clearly a better defender(or at least historically has been) as he is a previous DPOY winner. 

If Rabb had enough talent to stay on the floor on a consistent basis, I think the Grizz would have seen that by now and would be confident enough to give him consistent backup minutes. It seems we hear this same argument every year about player x is really better than he shows he is and he needs more minutes, last year it was James Ennis, Jarell Martin and Harrison. I mean, I think Wayne Selden and MarShon Brooks fall into that category as well, when at the end of the day, more than likely, they are who they have shown. I think Memphis is in the bottom tier as far as attracting talent, so if somebody is here trying to prove themselves, chances are other teams aren't giving them a shot either. That's just my opinion though. I think it's almost as if we scrape teh bottom of the barrel to give these guys their last shot at making the NBA because we really need help. If they could help us, I figure they would be out there, but that's just me. 

I liked Rabb coming out and thought he had potential, but sometimes, it just is what it is. I liked Selden when we picked him up and he's basically the same player he was when we picked him up. He hasn't proven that he can consistently contribute in a positive manner in any way.Might be the same for Rabb but I hope not.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:53 AM, memphis slim said:

hard to argue against any of this. im not one for making a trade just to make one, but kbm makes a good point.

slim.

Not JMG, he's playing quite well. He needs to shoot the ball more that SM does, that's for sure.

23 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Noah is better defensively than Rabb and can rebound and run offense.  Plus im sure part of negotiations to get Noah to sign was promise of minutes.  Rabb is a 2nd year 2nd rounder he has no leverage.   Thats why noah gets minutes over Rabb.   

We all have to remember huge part of coaching is managing egos, unfortunately sometimes thats a bigger definer of rotation minutes than actual production.  

Rabb minutes wouldn't be an issue if Grizzly actually blew teams out or JB rested Gasol.   thats usually how 5th bigs get minutes normally.   those are the two real obstacles to him getting burn.

Technically Noah and Rabb currently have the same defensive rating at 106.  Offensive versus defensive Noah (or 93, dr 106) is a -13.  Rabb (or 109, dr 106) is a +3.  Yeah. I know, stats don't show everything.  Noah has experience and is a former DPoY, so there is that.  The thing is that I don't recall Rabb having any "bad" games like say Mack, Selden, or Brooks.

I think that you're right about an agreement on playing time to sign Noah.  I'm still undecided on how much he actually helps the team.  He has NO offense.

20 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, IDK....my thing is this, when is the last time there was someone on the Grizz who the Grizz gave up on and then that person went on to go somewhere else to prove the Grizz wrong? I can't think of too many examples, maybe Lowry and Carroll but how long ago was that? 

ODK is correct in his statement that most of the time the coaching staff has been proven right when it comes to young players, though I'm not even sure they gave up on Carroll.  It may be that they just had to include him to get rid of Thabeet for Battier.

I guess I'm hoping that Rabb just proves to be one of those guys that takes an extra season or so before he solidifies into a good ballplayer.  His court time, while very limited, has been more productive than a lot of those other guys they gave up on.  Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he was included in a trade.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:43 PM, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, IDK....my thing is this, when is the last time there was someone on the Grizz who the Grizz gave up on and then that person went on to go somewhere else to prove the Grizz wrong? I can't think of too many examples, maybe Lowry and Carroll but how long ago was that? Not sure they gave up on Lowry they just thought that Conley was a better fit. I say all of this to say, I'm not sure what Rabb can or cannot do on an NBA court, I think he has talent but the Grizz have much more opportunity to evaluate him than i do. If they are not giving him minutes, I would assume they don't have the confidence that he can contribute on a regular basis and the fact that they signed Noah only adds to the hypothesis that the Grizz don't believe in Rabb (at least not yet). Noah is clearly a better defender(or at least historically has been) as he is a previous DPOY winner. 

If Rabb had enough talent to stay on the floor on a consistent basis, I think the Grizz would have seen that by now and would be confident enough to give him consistent backup minutes. It seems we hear this same argument every year about player x is really better than he shows he is and he needs more minutes, last year it was James Ennis, Jarell Martin and Harrison. I mean, I think Wayne Selden and MarShon Brooks fall into that category as well, when at the end of the day, more than likely, they are who they have shown. I think Memphis is in the bottom tier as far as attracting talent, so if somebody is here trying to prove themselves, chances are other teams aren't giving them a shot either. That's just my opinion though. I think it's almost as if we scrape teh bottom of the barrel to give these guys their last shot at making the NBA because we really need help. If they could help us, I figure they would be out there, but that's just me. 

I liked Rabb coming out and thought he had potential, but sometimes, it just is what it is. I liked Selden when we picked him up and he's basically the same player he was when we picked him up. He hasn't proven that he can consistently contribute in a positive manner in any way.Might be the same for Rabb but I hope not.

Tony Wroten was the last time. Have we so quickly forgotten how impressve Tony was in Philly before tearing his knee up? I admit they were plastic points on a terrible team but there were a lot of people wondering why the team gave up on him so quickly and so cheaply after he posted those triple doubles. Sad that we’ll never know what could have been after he destroyed his knee.

Also The OP never said to give him minutes with the big club. It was a plea to not rot him in the deep bench when the G League is available for him.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Tony Wroten was the last time. Have we so quickly forgotten how impressve Tony was in Philly before tearing his knee up? I admit they were plastic points on a terrible team but there were ole ty of people wondering why the team face up on him so quickly and so cheaply after he posted those triple doubles. Sad that we’ll never know what could have been after he destroyed his knee.

Also The OP never said to give him minutes with the big club. It was a plea to not rot him in the deep bench when the G League is available for him.

I agree that he should at least be playing in the g-League.

14 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Chip's got Hustle season tickets.  Tryin' to stack his team.:ph34r:

Does he?

Chip? 

Lemme know-> I’m all the way in

Ill get to see the Hustle in Maine soon. I hope Rabb is on the team or Carter is when they come at the end of January. 

9 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Does he?

Chip? 

Lemme know-> I’m all the way in

No I don’t. I just hate to see talent wasted.

I agree with the overall premise, but I wonder if he's staying with the main team during this stretch due to other reasons, such as longer home breaks allowing for practice, or simply as a ready piece for a trade package.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:34 AM, fanboyslim said:

I agree with the overall premise, but I wonder if he's staying with the main team during this stretch due to other reasons, such as longer home breaks allowing for practice, or simply as a ready piece for a trade package.

Interesting philosophy. At first I assumed Ivan was called up due to Noah's right heal injury. That would explain his minutes in Portland. He was at the G League Winter Showcase. and was in Salt Lake in time for the game that night. He scored 8 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in 10 minutes that night. 

Two nights later against Sacramento he got a DNP-CD despite Noah and Casspi both missing the game. Since the team travelled in between those two games there wasn't time for a full practice. Rabb is from Oakland too so the team was playing close to his hometown and he should have been excited to play that night. Gasol logged 38 minutes and faded with the team down the stretch as the Grizzlies lost a big lead and the game. 

Two nights later the Grizzlies played the Lakers and Rabb played 10 minutes grabbing 4 rebounds and scoring 4 points. The team was off until the 26th (Christmas break) and when they played against Cleveland Noah returned despite still suffering from heal pain. The team played the 28th and then got a day for a full practice on the 28th before playing Boston on the 29th. Rabb was inactive for the game against the Celtics. 

Ivan must have had a terrible practice on the 28th or was simply brought up as insurance for Noah who has been questionable for both the Celtics and the Rockets game on the 31st. The team should have gotten in another practice yesterday despite it being New Year's but I don't know for sure if they did. 

The bottom line is Rabb could be bait for a trade but I don't see how him sitting on the bench makes him more desirable than performing with the Hustle.

Clearly something is up since the Grizzlies dropped a wing player in D J Stephens to sign another small PF in Jarnell Stokes. So now the Grizzlies have Jackson, Green, Stokes and Rabb who are traditional 4s with Casspi, Parsons, Yuta Watanabi and Anderson who can play the stretch 4 role. That is a lot of players capable of playing PF on the roster. They are weak at SG and SF. I just don't understand the front office's moves at all. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The bottom line is Rabb could be bait for a trade but I don't see how him sitting on the bench makes him more desirable than performing with the Hustle.

No, I mean he may be just salary padding for a possible trade (involving other players) and he may be forced to sit down in anticipation, simply to prevent a last minute injury. But I suspect his play time pattern is too erratic for that.

What is Rabb's ceiling? 

Apparently the 12th man on the bench but if he got serious minutes he could be a double-double type of player. Not a 20/10 guy but a 12/10 type.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Apparently the 12th man on the bench but if he got serious minutes he could be a double-double type of player. Not a 20/10 guy but a 12/10 type.

I could see that.  He usually contributes in some form or fashion when he gets his number called.  Too bad it doesn't correspond to any serious increases in his minutes.  I would rather see him on the floor than Noah.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

That would be awesome if they would let him do that for us Chip. We need something like that

Gasol fouls out. JJJ and Green have five fouls. Noah picked up a silly T for hanging on the rim. Ivan Rabb sits at the end of the bench despite all of this happening. 

Free Ivan Rabb!

8 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Gasol fouls out. JJJ and Green have five fouls. Noah picked up a silly T for hanging on the rim. Ivan Rabb sits at the end of the bench despite all of this happening. 

Free Ivan Rabb!

Agree. He got what like 2-3 mins? What is wrong with JB????

I saw tonight why the Grizzlies aren’t as high on Ivan Rabb as I have been. Sure he had a double double in 21 minutes but he struggled all night guarding guys on the perimeter and is too small to pound with the bigs down low. His skill is undeniable but he’s a player without a position in the modern NBA game.