chipc3

Free Ivan Rabb

Recommended Posts

The Grizzlies seem determined to not allow Ivan Rabb a chance to show anyone how good he could be. When he’s played he’s performed well. He got 8 points and 7 boards in less than 10 minutes against Portland then was DNP-CD the next night. He then gets 4 points and 4 boards in less than 10 minutes only to be saddled with another DNP the next game. The Grizzlies sent him to the Hustle and he wins Player of the Week then they call him back and refuse to play him.

I don’t understand what the objective is for Rabb. If they don’t want him to play with the Grizzlies then send him to the G League where he can attract other teams interest. To just allow him to rot on the bench and not play at all makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are preaching to the choir. Nobody understands it. He is probably at least as good as Dillon Brooks, although the grizzlies have 4 guys ahead of him.

I'm hoping the grizzlies trade Jam Green and then give him a spot in the rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach sees something he isnt doing right in practice and is trying to win games with veterans. I think thats kinda obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Coach sees something he isnt doing right in practice and is trying to win games with veterans. I think thats kinda obvious.

I could believe that. Probably a good idea to send him to the G League then so he can get some game experience. Unlike a number of other players in the past (Ennis for example) that is an option now. I'm not suggesting the team throw him onto the court ahead of more ready players right now. I am asking the team to free him to play in the G League if he isn't going to play with the big club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I could believe that. Probably a good idea to send him to the G League then so he can get some game experience. Unlike a number of other players in the past (Ennis for example) that is an option now. I'm not suggesting the team throw him onto the court ahead of more ready players right now. I am asking the team to free him to play in the G League if he isn't going to play with the big club. 

They probably won’t play him ahead of Noah. So long as he’s healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You are preaching to the choir. Nobody understands it. He is probably at least as good as Dillon Brooks, although the grizzlies have 4 guys ahead of him.

I'm hoping the grizzlies trade Jam Green and then give him a spot in the rotation. 

can we package Mack with him?  that way we can free both Rabb and Carter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

They probably won’t play him ahead of Noah. So long as he’s healthy. 

That is why I am suggesting they send him to the G League. 

 

3 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

can we package Mack with him?  that way we can free both Rabb and Carter...

We can't but the Front Office could if they were so inclined.

Personally I believe that would be a poor decision by the Grizzlies. Green and Mack are expiring contracts so whoever trades for them would not be guaranteed they would resign. That drives their value down at this time of the season. Maybe closer to the trade deadline something will happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don’t understand what the objective is for Rabb.

He's big man insurance. JJJ is foul prone, Marc & Noah are NBA old. Something could happen during a game where he is needed. It used to be that every team had a big at the end of the bench. It also used to be that demotion to the D or G league was viewed as negative. Rabb might prefer sitting on the bench while wearing a NBA jersey to playing for the Hustle.

I'd rather see Parsons sent to the G League, just so I don't have to see his mug every game and be reminded of how his signing hurt the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

He's big man insurance. JJJ is foul prone, Marc & Noah are NBA old. Something could happen during a game where he is needed. It used to be that every team had a big at the end of the bench. It also used to be that demotion to the D or G league was viewed as negative. Rabb might prefer sitting on the bench while wearing a NBA jersey to playing for the Hustle.

I'd rather see Parsons sent to the G League, just so I don't have to see his mug every game and be reminded of how his signing hurt the team.

I agree that time in the G League could help Parsons. However, Parsons has to agree to be sent to the G League. The team can send Rabb down without his permission. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Rabb. He seems like a heck of a good guy, and is good at rebounding. I can't help but to root for him.

That being said, he makes me think of Deyonta Davis. A lot of Grizzlies fans thought he was going to be something special. I remember one article that claimed he was going to be the guy to take over for Marc. Anyway, D. Davis had high expectations and look where he is now. Over the past half year he was used as trade filler, waived by two other teams, and last I saw was playing in the G League.

I like Rabb and right now he's living the dream, even if he's glued to the Grizzlies bench. Chances are this is as good as it gets for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You are preaching to the choir. Nobody understands it. He is probably at least as good as Dillon Brooks, although the grizzlies have 4 guys ahead of him.

I'm hoping the grizzlies trade Jam Green and then give him a spot in the rotation. 

Not that I know what we have yet with Jaren Jackson, Jr. -- heck he might be one of those rare breeds who NOBODY ever figures out what he is, even 10 years into his career, but maybe Ivan Rabb's board work and solid play sort of under mine Jaren's "specialness".  I am thinking they are our BIG MAN COMBO of the future.  Not sure why the FO and coach are stubborn.  

Slo Time, Rabb, and Jaren is the front line of the future.  Hopefully the future starts sooner rather than later.

For drafts going forward, I think we should be looking at who to pair with Kyle Anderson on the wing: Dillon might just be a third wing.  Depth.  Potential 6th man of the year material but that's about it.  

Marc never liked competition. So any potential competition was shipped out.  Same with Conley.  Is Jaren the same way?  Jaren's 15 and 7 a night doesn't look as good if Rabb is giving you 12 and 9 in fewer minutes, with less fanfare.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I could believe that. Probably a good idea to send him to the G League then so he can get some game experience. Unlike a number of other players in the past (Ennis for example) that is an option now. I'm not suggesting the team throw him onto the court ahead of more ready players right now. I am asking the team to free him to play in the G League if he isn't going to play with the big club. 

Rabb should be on the floor. Noah doesn't look the part anymore. I always hated how the Grizzlies coach staff neglected to develop players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Blue Bear said:

Rabb should be on the floor. Noah doesn't look the part anymore. I always hated how the Grizzlies coach staff neglected to develop players.

I don’t know if Rabb is ready to contribute on this year’s team but I don’t believe it is wise to just sit him night after night rather than allow him to play with the Hustle.

The team can have him in case someone gets hurt within 24 hours after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought young players needed to earn playing time and develop in practice and the g league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Allen said:

I thought young players needed to earn playing time and develop in practice and the g league?

And you are thinking right. That's why I don't understand Rabb being benched when he could be getting minutes with the Hustle and still coming to the Grizzlies practices when they are in town. 

The G League shuffle is only available for a short period of time. The Grizzlies should be taking advantage of this with Rabb before they no longer have the option available to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

And you are thinking right. That's why I don't understand Rabb being benched when he could be getting minutes with the Hustle and still coming to the Grizzlies practices when they are in town. 

He’s been up and down to the g league throughout the year and gets called up to practice with the big team.

Arent you the one that used to say that young players need to earn playing time in practice and gleague and if they don’t get minutes it’s probably because they aren’t performing in practice and gleague games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Allen said:

He’s been up and down to the g league throughout the year and gets called up to practice with the big team.

Arent you the one that used to say that young players need to earn playing time in practice and gleague and if they don’t get minutes it’s probably because they aren’t performing in practice and gleague games?

He was down in the G League for 6 days. During that time he won player of the week in the G League. All I am saying is that young players need playing time but not necessarily with the big team. He needs playing time and the G League is a great way to get it. 

You are agreeing with me in an attempt to argue with me and I don't understand your position. My original post was this. 

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies seem determined to not allow Ivan Rabb a chance to show anyone how good he could be. When he’s played he’s performed well. He got 8 points and 7 boards in less than 10 minutes against Portland then was DNP-CD the next night. He then gets 4 points and 4 boards in less than 10 minutes only to be saddled with another DNP the next game. The Grizzlies sent him to the Hustle and he wins Player of the Week then they call him back and refuse to play him.

I don’t understand what the objective is for Rabb. If they don’t want him to play with the Grizzlies then send him to the G League where he can attract other teams interest. To just allow him to rot on the bench and not play at all makes no sense.

I agree with you that he needs to earn his playing time. I agree with you that he should be in the G league rather than sitting at the end of the bench not getting any playing time. I have always said players need to prove their ready by working hard in practice, working hard in the G League and taking advantage of the little playing time they get with the big team. Rabb is not getting a chance to work in the G League or play in the games with the big squad. That is a mistake in my eyes.

If Rabb isn't in the Grizzlies long term plans, and signing Noah implies he isn't this season at least, then sitting him instead of letting him play in the G League doesn't make sense either since teams won't covet what they can't see. 

Again, I am not saying they need to just give Rabb minutes in NBA games. I am totally against that for Rabb and anyone else. However, not playing him where he can develop and at worst create interest from other teams doesn't make any sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's played 4 games with the Hustle this season. After those 4 games, he was named GLeague player of the week December 10th. We recalled him after that. I imagine the front office wants him to get some burn with the big boys, but it's up to JB. I'm sure we'll see more of him soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes he should be playing more, even if it is spot mins every game.

I agree with Father Pat that he is insurance but if it were up to me, the insurance role would belong to Noah.

I seriously doubt that if Rabb was given 5 mins in a game, that 5 mins would cost us a win, so he should be in every game until he shows that he is no good or costs a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously JB only trusts vets aged 30 or more (except Kyle) - he only loosened the leash on Jaren because he got hammered in the press, especially after the last embarassing loss v Kings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t insist Rabb get regular mi it’s but I do request he get to play regularly. The whole purpose of the Grizzlies having their own G League team is to prepare players to be called up. It makes little sense to me to keep Rabb nailed to the bench as protection for a potential injury in a game to one of the four players who get minutes ahead of him. The Grizzlies bigs are Gasol, Jackson, Green, Noah and then Rabb. I wasn’t upset when Noah was injured that he got called up but send him back to the Hustle now that there are four healthy players ahead of him.

Lets not forget JB said he wants an 8-9 man rotation. That means at most 4 bigs play a night. The Hustle play 30 minutes away. They aren’t in Iowa anymore. He can be in uniform in two hours for a home game. 

Id love to see him getting PT ahead of Noah but that is his job to earn not the coaches to give. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I wouldn’t insist Rabb get regular mi it’s but I do request he get to play regularly. The whole purpose of the Grizzlies having their own G League team is to prepare players to be called up. It makes little sense to me to keep Rabb nailed to the bench as protection for a potential injury in a game to one of the four players who get minutes ahead of him. The Grizzlies bigs are Gasol, Jackson, Green, Noah and then Rabb. I wasn’t upset when Noah was injured that he got called up but send him back to the Hustle now that there are four healthy players ahead of him.

Lets not forget JB said he wants an 8-9 man rotation. That means at most 4 bigs play a night. The Hustle play 30 minutes away. They aren’t in Iowa anymore. He can be in uniform in two hours for a home game. 

Id love to see him getting PT ahead of Noah but that is his job to earn not the coaches to give. 

It seems to me that sometimes Rabb is at least as effective as Noah.  I know Noah is far more experienced, and a former DPoY, but sometimes he seems to be trying to do more than he is capable of doing.  Rabb produces to some extent whenever he is in the game and I don't really recall him hurting the team at all.  I really would like to see him get more minutes, but JB seems to trust the vets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I wouldn’t insist Rabb get regular mi it’s but I do request he get to play regularly. The whole purpose of the Grizzlies having their own G League team is to prepare players to be called up. It makes little sense to me to keep Rabb nailed to the bench as protection for a potential injury in a game to one of the four players who get minutes ahead of him. The Grizzlies bigs are Gasol, Jackson, Green, Noah and then Rabb. I wasn’t upset when Noah was injured that he got called up but send him back to the Hustle now that there are four healthy players ahead of him.

Lets not forget JB said he wants an 8-9 man rotation. That means at most 4 bigs play a night. The Hustle play 30 minutes away. They aren’t in Iowa anymore. He can be in uniform in two hours for a home game. 

Id love to see him getting PT ahead of Noah but that is his job to earn not the coaches to give. 

An 8 man rotation at this time of the season is dumb if you ask me. We have guys on the bench who can at least play a few mins without the wheels falling off.

JB's love affair with Shelvin Mack is astounding 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now