Sign in to follow this  
Kevin B Moses

The last significant offensive player the grizzlies brought in was ZBO

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

It’s over. The only thing left to consider at this point is if we tank to keep our pick. We shouldn’t. We should be trading one of Mike/Marc but we won’t because the GM is at his last GM job and the owner has a crush on them. 

I wouldn't be opposed to tanking only because I'm sick of seeing Mike Conley and Marc Gasol killing themselves out there to try to get a win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

That's all well and good but how are you going to replace Marc once you get rid of him.

If you guys are so adamant that even with another 20 points scorer the Grizzlies can't even compete, and then we give up Marc Gasol, how could we ever replace marc then get a 20-point score and then get whatever else we need to compete. 

That's three major pieces we got to replace.

Oh and by the way what do we need to do to win a championship exactly in your mind.

Again Kevin,

Read what I said.

I said I would see what we can get, I didn't say sell him, but if what we got was good, I'd go with it.

You need to consider Marc's age as well - he ain't going to play forever.

And a fact check of your statements show that Marc has only been close to a 20ppg once (19.5ppg), in 2016-2017, so you've bent the truth here.

If I knew what to do to win a championship, there'd be 29 NBA GMs who'd know it before me, but what I believe gives us the best path to remaining sucessful - and this does not necessarily mean wining a championship, but WC champ, perennial playoff team I would gauge as success - is what I said above about our medium term strategy. DO NOT take on salary, DO NOT trade 1ST rnd picks, Let all expiring contracts drop off the books. I have said it before, and I'm consistent without flip-flopping every day of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The sad fact is you guys blame Marc Gasol when he's not even the problem it's Memphis as a small-market team where we're playing at is the problem. 

You guys all want to roast Chris Wallace for getting Chandler Parsons but when you're a small-market team try to make a move like that would be the only way the Grizzlies could win a championship it didn't work out but at least they took a shot at it 

Acting like Marc Gasol is the problem is pure stupidity.

Again Kevin, you are twisting what we are saying, and then generalizing it to "everybody".

I personally blame Chancun and whoever made the decision to sign him - whether they knew his medicals or not.

And I've been consistent in saying this too.

And if you want to look further back - the fool who got rid of Rudy Gay - we were a big chance in 2013 WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a side note:

The title of the thread is ironic because you were lobbying hard for Zbo to be traded instead of Rudy, and then still wanted Zbo traded, even after Rudy had left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are paying Mike, Marc, and Chandler as players who should normally be those folks who can put the ball in the hole.  With Chandler being a total black hole for a contract we don't have the cash to throw at a player who fits the bill for what we actually need.  And needed when we signed Parsons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gradey said:

We are paying Mike, Marc, and Chandler as players who should normally be those folks who can put the ball in the hole.  With Chandler being a total black hole for a contract we don't have the cash to throw at a player who fits the bill for what we actually need.  And needed when we signed Parsons.

Correct,

We are the only NBA team who is effectively operating at 75% of the capspace that the other 29 teams have available to them, and have been operating this way for 2 and half years, and will be operating this way for another one and half years more.

That is a long time, and very damaging to a franchise to operate this way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

As a side note:

The title of the thread is ironic because you were lobbying hard for Zbo to be traded instead of Rudy, and then still wanted Zbo traded, even after Rudy had left

In point of fact I didn't want anybody to leave, but if we had to lose either zbo or Rudy I wanted z-bo gone over Rudy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I would rather just take this year than to do that.

The Grizzlies just have a talent problem that's it.

2019 NBA draft is not worth tanking for IMO.  Not enough top shelf talent.  Other than Zion, I don't think anyone can help us next season much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

2019 NBA draft is not worth tanking for IMO.  Not enough top shelf talent.  Other than Zion, I don't think anyone can help us next season much.

Getting the #8 pick in this draft and Boston getting our top end lottery pick in 2021 is what I see coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

1. When the Grizzlies made their 4 year high risk gamble on Chandler Parsons, it hindered all free agent signings to near the vet minimum or various exceptions (Tyreke and Kyle).  There just aren't those options.

2. I believe the one true scoring FA they could have landed this past year was Jamal Crawford, but they probably also believed that MarShon could be that role.

3. As has been mentioned on this board when things were going well, the Grizzlies FA signings this past year were focused on matching the identity of intelligent and defensive minded players.  It has worked to an extent, but it puts a lot of pressure on guys who really aren't capable of being more offensively.

4. I think the FO doesn't want to give up future 1st round draft picks when the team is quite capable of being lottery bound for the next few years.

These are all very good points especially point 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Again Kevin, you are twisting what we are saying, and then generalizing it to "everybody".

I personally blame Chancun and whoever made the decision to sign him - whether they knew his medicals or not.

And I've been consistent in saying this too.

And if you want to look further back - the fool who got rid of Rudy Gay - we were a big chance in 2013 WITHOUT MAKING ANY CHANGES

You say this like it is some sort of revelation or something. 

Even when we signed the guy, if people didn't see that deal could blow up in our faces, they were being terribly naive.  Three seasons removed, you're going to pat yourself on the back for being "consistent" in saying this?

Of course Parsons contract is the problem.  His contract makes albatrosses look like sparrows by comparison. Not only his contract, his position - he was supposed to become our 3rd best player, at worst.  There are no swing for the fences moves to make.  We've made them.  we're Grit-n-Grind all right, because we don't have the offensive capabilities to be anything else. 

Taking what I've already said a bit further, we're a team trying to make it with a dynamic duo when the truly good teams of today need to be three-headed monsters.  Just think what this season would be had JJJ developed more slowly?  As it is, to rely on a rookie as your 3rd best player, well no serious playoff team is going to do that - but that's us, because nobody on the team has separated themselves in that 3rd option role, and the guy who was supposed to do it, can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

You say this like it is some sort of revelation or something. 

Even when we signed the guy, if people didn't see that deal could blow up in our faces, they were being terribly naive.  Three seasons removed, you're going to pat yourself on the back for being "consistent" in saying this?

Of course Parsons contract is the problem.  His contract makes albatrosses look like sparrows by comparison. Not only his contract, his position - he was supposed to become our 3rd best player, at worst.  There are no swing for the fences moves to make.  We've made them.  we're Grit-n-Grind all right, because we don't have the offensive capabilities to be anything else. 

Taking what I've already said a bit further, we're a team trying to make it with a dynamic duo when the truly good teams of today need to be three-headed monsters.  Just think what this season would be had JJJ developed more slowly?  As it is, to rely on a rookie as your 3rd best player, well no serious playoff team is going to do that - but that's us, because nobody on the team has separated themselves in that 3rd option role, and the guy who was supposed to do it, can't.

yes I know, I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The sad fact is you guys blame Marc Gasol when he's not even the problem it's Memphis as a small-market team where we're playing at is the problem. 

You guys all want to roast Chris Wallace for getting Chandler Parsons but when you're a small-market team try to make a move like that would be the only way the Grizzlies could win a championship it didn't work out but at least they took a shot at it 

Acting like Marc Gasol is the problem is pure stupidity.

The problem was that this small market team doubled down on Marc Gasol, rather than trade him and build around your best players, Conley and Z-Bo. Heck, they even fired a one year coach for Gasol, and all the coach did was call Gasol on his mess. The small market had nothing to do with that purely incompetent decision.

Also, there is no defending giving a player $94 million guaranteed without a physical. Again, more incompetence. If the owner actually cared about wining in Memphis, Wallace would have been gone a long time ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

As it is, to rely on a rookie as your 3rd best player, well no serious playoff team is going to do that - but that's us, because nobody on the team has separated themselves in that 3rd option role, and the guy who was supposed to do it, can't.

Pretty sure Utah, Boston n Philly would all disagree on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, MemphisX said:

Why would TOR consider that first deal?  They are on a roll, Valanciunas is younger and has a higher PER, it doesn't save them any money.

The second deal I don't really like.  It saves us a year off MC's contract, but I don't care for Jackson much.  Jon Leuer?  We've already seen that movie.  Khyri Thomas might be interesting.   I know the real value is the pick, still...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the only reason the grizzlies got zbo was because of his trouble past.  a players with his stats would have not gone to a small market like Memphis , that's the only reason chris Wallace was able to trade for him no body wanted him . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chris Wallace has drafted poorly and traded all of our first round draft picks a way . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Hey, KBM, remember how you were saying Mike needs help?  Don't look now but I think maybe we already have him.  We just need to utilize him.

+1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this