Sign in to follow this  
srmjr23

Grizzlies December schedule will make or break us

The next 10 games are filled with some of the best teams in the NBA.  Between now and December 20th, we play the following teams:

Clippers - Pelicans - Lakers - Nuggets - Trail Blazers - Rockets - Warriors - Trail Blazers.

The only two 'easy' games we play between now and the 20th are against the Heat, who we should beat, and a scrappy Sacramento team we've had trouble with twice already. There are a handful of other teams in December that are probably should win games, but for the most part it's a murderers row of the NBA. Given that the Grizzlies are currently 5th and only have a 3 game lead over the 14th spot in the West, this set of games will be crucial and, in my opinion, will  determine whether or not the Grizzlies make the playoffs. 

This will be the test of the season and the kind of adversity that can define a team, good or bad. If we want to build a winning culture and walk the Grit - N - Grind walk, it starts now. Every team in the NBA deals with adversity. It's how they handle it that reveals their character. 

edit: words

There are no easy games on the schedule for the Grizz, but we also have a legit shot at winning any one of them. Gonna be up and down, just have to not ride low for too long. All the teams seem to be figuring themselves out so far sans a few. We’re right in the middle of things for now. We got this.

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

The next 10 games are filled with some of the best teams in the NBA.  Between now and December 20th, we play the following teams:

Clippers - Pelicans - Lakers - Nuggets - Trail Blazers - Rockets - Warriors - Trail Blazers.

The only two 'easy' games we play between now and the 20th are against the Heat, who we should beat, and a scrappy Sacramento team we've had trouble with twice already. There are a handful of other teams in December that are probably should win games, but for the most part it's a murderers row of the NBA. Given that the Grizzlies are currently 5th and only have a 3 game lead over the 14th spot in the West, this set of games will be crucial and, in my opinion, will  determine whether or not the Grizzlies make the playoffs. 

This will be the test of the season and the kind of adversity that can define a team, good or bad. If we want to build a winning culture and walk the Grit - N - Grind walk, it starts now. Every team in the NBA deals with adversity. It's how they handle it that reveals their character. 

Clippers is winnable but tough.

Pelicans could be a bad matchup because our strengths in the front court will be negated by their front court rotation.

Lakers is winnable if LeBron is in team player/facilitator mode. If he aims to go iso 50 point game, it may be tough.

Nuggets are tough in mile high land but not unbeatable 

Trailblazers I think we have the advantage over them playing to our strength (Marc, Jaren)

Rockets depends on how many times the refs wanna send Harden and Faul to the line

Warriors - hopefully KD and Draymond get into another big blue on court, or Green gets a double T complaining about the refs

Trailblazers again as before unless Lillard decides he dont wanna be shamed, and Marc goes passive after the previous matchup.

All in all,  maybe 3-4 wins but getting whitewashed is possible

The thing is, I don't see any of these teams as unbeatable. There are games that we'll probably lose like the game in Denver (high altitude + conference leaders = bad combination) and the second leg of a back to back in Houston, but unless the Warriors get out of their funk I think we can put up a fight with anyone.

That said, if we got 3-4 wins out of those games I'd be more than happy.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Did somebody just jack my thread idea with a slightly different take?

Yes. Mods can you please delete this

Just curious but which thread is this supposed to be hacking anyway? Is it

1. March Toward 50 Wins - Grizzlies Edition?
  2. Playoff Watch - How Many Wins Do You Think It Will Take? 
  3. Calling All Fence Riders - It's Time to Believe in these Grizzlies Again
  4. Hidden Gems - Grizzlies by the Numbers
  5. Some other KBM thread

8 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Did somebody just jack my thread idea with a slightly different take?

A thread idea as in one you were thinking of posting or one you already posted?

11 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The thing is, I don't see any of these teams as unbeatable. There are games that we'll probably lose like the game in Denver (high altitude + conference leaders = bad combination) and the second leg of a back to back in Houston, but unless the Warriors get out of their funk I think we can put up a fight with anyone.

That said, if we got 3-4 wins out of those games I'd be more than happy.

I definitely agree. But the risk is there if you get into a slump at the wrong time. I think an 8-7 record for December would be a win and likely be enough to keep us fighting for a spot toward the end of the regular season.

The Lakers game here is the 2nd game of a back to back too.

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

A thread idea as in one you were thinking of posting or one you already posted?

the March towards 50 thread has been following the Grizzlies progress in blocks of 10 games. The last block ended with the last game against Philadelphia and a new block was about to be started. And then I see you posted a 10 game block with your own thread. 

It's okay man. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

8 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

the March towards 50 thread has been following the Grizzlies progress in blocks of 10 games. The last block ended with the last game against Philadelphia and a new block was about to be started. And then I see you posted attend game block with your own thread. 

It's okay man. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I try to avoid your posts. Mods feel free to delete this thread as KBM has apparently covered this in detail in one of his previous 13 threads and I wasn't aware. 

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

I try to avoid your posts. Mods feel free to delete this thread as KBM has apparently covered this in detail in one of his previous 3113 threads and I wasn't aware. 

fixed

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, srmjr23 said:

great post.  i agree wholeheartedly.  one game at a time.