Sign in to follow this  
Memphisyank

Gasol getting Street Cred

Gasol is getting some love now. Hopefully he will keep it up for the rest of the season. 

About 25 years ago Rudy tomjanovich stepped to the podium at the summit in Houston Texas and uttered these faithful words: don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!!!!

I would say for all those NBA fans out there that wonder about the Grizzlies the same thing: don't ever underestimate the heart of Marc Gasol and Mike Conley.

These guys might not win every game or even half the games but they play harder than anybody I seen on the court. I mean they run themselves to death trying to win games.

That's why I respect them so much. I'm a Marc Gasol and Mike Conley Ride or die for Life.

Good ol' Rudy T and his faithful words.  Yikes.

If Marc doesn't opt out, then good on him. If he does, then he is just another mercenary doing a little more for a bigger payday. I seem to remember Marc having a bunch of 30 point games out of nowhere in his last contract year, so...

Anyway, it's still a nice article. Thanks for posting it Memphisyank.

Gasol is an amazing all around player. One of the best and we are fortunate he bucked the trend of leaving for greener pastures. He and Conley have meant more to this franchise than any other players in Grizzlies history considering their talent level and longevity.

I’m not disappointed whatever the outcome of Gasol’s opt out/in decision. He’s given us a decade of outstanding play including his best years....if he opts in, great! We keep it going another year. Opt out and we clear lots of cap space and he gets to pursue his dreams. Win/win either way

4 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Good ol' Rudy T and his faithful words.  Yikes.

If Marc doesn't opt out, then good on him. If he does, then he is just another mercenary doing a little more for a bigger payday. I seem to remember Marc having a bunch of 30 point games out of nowhere in his last contract year, so...

Anyway, it's still a nice article. Thanks for posting it Memphisyank.

Yeah, sort of like 2016-2017, which was not a contract year, when he had a bunch of those, including a 42 point explosion nearly tying the franchise single game record.  Not sure what you were getting at, or was it just selective memory?

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yeah, sort of like 2016-2017, which was not a contract year, when he had a bunch of those, including a 42 point explosion nearly tying the franchise single game record.  Not sure what you were getting at, or was it just selective memory?

'16-'17 was when Marc went from averaging 8 3pt attempts per season to taking 268, which yes, was a very good thing. It also led to him taking a lot fewer long two's, which are the worst shots in the game. But anyway, you know exactly what I was getting at. It is very common for players in the NBA to play better during contract years. Matter of fact, it is pretty rare that they don't, and you know that. So like I said above, if he doesn't opt out, good on him. 

3 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

'16-'17 was when Marc went from averaging 8 3pt attempts per season to taking 268, which yes, was a very good thing. It also led to him taking a lot fewer long two's, which are the worst shots in the game. But anyway, you know exactly what I was getting at. It is very common for players in the NBA to play better during contract years. Matter of fact, it is pretty rare that they don't, and you know that. So like I said above, if he doesn't opt out, good on him. 

Okay man, I just hear that narrative a lot, not just from you, but I don't think it's always justified.  JMO

gasol could sure use an evening off. it was pretty apparent the wear and tear on his body during the 6'ers game.

might be about time to have a night off for him and then another game to get conley a break as well.

slim.