Grizzled Vet

#9 pick in draft watch - how many wins do you think it will take

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Not to get picky but don't the Grizzlies play the Cavs again on Feb 23rd in Cleveland? 

That should be a play-in game in Akron.

2 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

That should be a play-in game in Akron.

ROFLMAO The best ve ever seen twilight series ve,ROFLMAO,twilight,roflmao,series,seen,The,ever,best GIF

13 minutes ago, Grizball said:

The best we can do is to catch the Hawks which still seems unlikely. And I don't think we are tanking at all, we are just bad.

The Hawks are picking it up.

We are not.

I think we shock the world.

1 hour ago, Grizball said:

The best we can do is to catch the Hawks which still seems unlikely. And I don't think we are tanking at all, we are just bad.

I disagree. I think they can still pass several teams either up or down.

This team is playing as bad as any of them, and they all still have to play each other more often (and someone has to win).  This Grizzlies team might not win a game against any team West of Chicago for the remainder of the year.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:56 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

I disagree. I think they can still pass several teams either up or down.

This team is playing as bad as any of them, and they all still have to play each other more often (and someone has to win).  This Grizzlies team might not win a game against any team West of Chicago for the remainder of the year.

giphy.gif

(about not beating a team West of Mississippi)

OK ...here's the situation - because the bottom of the NBA is so bad, the Grizzlies can still get off that Boston pick.

Team (Games Back of 10th)

10th spot - Pistons

9. Pelicans (1.5)

8. Wizards (2)

7. Magic (2.5)

6. Grizzlies (3)

5. Hawks (6)

1-4. Grizzlies aren't catching these teams.

So the Grizzlies are 3 back from 10th, but also 3 up on the Hawks.  I think they catch neither of these teams.

The three teams above them have incentive to tank, the Grizzlies don't.

Even if they get to 8, there's a better than 50% chance a team behind them jumps into top 4.

At the beginning of the year, the goal was to make playoffs, with the secondary goal to get off the Boston pick which has been keeping the team from doing any deals.

At least it keeps the season moderately interesting.

I'm honestly resigned to whatever happens. I'd still prefer to convey the pick now if possible, but if not, we'll probably be in the 6-8 range anyway and it will all depend on the ping pong balls.

Grizz took care of business against Pelicans, but some costly outcomes tonight.

Hornets beat Hawks, which now probably moves Hornets from being caught, and moves Hawks further down.

Wizards pull out  a victory over the Bulls, which isn't that surprising, but WHAT THE CRAP Bucks?  You let the Orlando Magic beat you by 20.  That should have been a Magic loss that put them .5 game in front of Grizzlies, not keep them 1.5 ahead.  Worse, Magic have Hawks tomorrow.   (Other game to watch is Blazers at Mavs)

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Grizz took care of business against Pelicans, but some costly outcomes tonight.

Hornets beat Hawks, which now probably moves Hornets from being caught, and moves Hawks further down.

Wizards pull out  a victory over the Bulls, which isn't that surprising, but WHAT THE CRAP Bucks?  You let the Orlando Magic beat you by 20.  That should have been a Magic loss that put them .5 game in front of Grizzlies, not keep them 1.5 ahead.  Worse, Magic have Hawks tomorrow.   (Other game to watch is Blazers at Mavs)

The Bucks played  without Giannis... Magic are now 4 wins in the last 5!!! 

the Mavs are playing with Luka and a bunch of scrubs so we should look at them (even if they have no interest in tanking since their pick is Atlanta's) and maybe NOLA, Minnesota (they seems in free fall) and the Wizards

On 2/5/2019 at 9:58 PM, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

covfefe

🤣

More like conveyfe am I rite ladies and gentlemen 

C'mon Portland.  You have a 14 point lead vs the hodge lodge Mavs and can only score 9 points in the 4th?

9 points?  How Grizzlies-like.

I'm not really expecting to catch the Mavs as they have no reason to tank.

Could use a little Warriors over HEAT and definitely Hawks over Magic tonight.

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Remaining schedule is soft enough to win 10-12 more games.

Next 13 games will be important. A lot of “winnable” games!

6 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

C'mon Portland.  You have a 14 point lead vs the hodge lodge Mavs and can only score 9 points in the 4th?

9 points?  How Grizzlies-like.

I'm not really expecting to catch the Mavs as they have no reason to tank.

Could use a little Warriors over HEAT and definitely Hawks over Magic tonight.

Doncic is crazy good though - haven’t watched any mavs games (besides against us) but watched the Portland game and wow..... 

538 has the Grizzlies now finishing at 35-47 and tied with the HEAT and Wizards for the 6th-8th draft pick.

Here is what is crazy about those predictions...a record of 37 wins is what is projected to get the Hornets into the playoffs.  Magic and Mavs also projected at 37 wins, with the free falling Pelicans at 38 wins.

Does anyone not see this ending up worst case scenario? Grizz end up with either the 7th or 8th pick. They should’ve traded Conley as well and gunned for the 5th spot. Nearly as good of odds at Zion as the worst team in the league, and a really good chance at top 3. Add a big time talent then bottom out again next year then you start fresh with JJJ plus two high lotto picks and tons of cap space. But nope. We are attempting to convey this year from already deep in the hole, while also telling our fans we expect to be terrible in 2021 so just hang in there. The Memphis market isn’t strong enough to wait that long

9 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Does anyone not see this ending up worst case scenario? Grizz end up with either the 7th or 8th pick. They should’ve traded Conley as well and gunned for the 5th spot. Nearly as good of odds at Zion as the worst team in the league, and a really good chance at top 3. Add a big time talent then bottom out again next year then you start fresh with JJJ plus two high lotto picks and tons of cap space. But nope. We are attempting to convey this year from already deep in the hole, while also telling our fans we expect to be terrible in 2021 so just hang in there. The Memphis market isn’t strong enough to wait that long

Its the hype around the 2021 draft, people expect it to be one of the deepest of all time and they don't want to get the number 1 pick in the deepest draft of all time and watch it go to Boston.

But you are right, this could easily break the wrong way and they end up with the 7th or 8th pick this year instead of a top 5 and good odds to move up, and still end up giving Boston the pick in 2021.

If they tank this year they start the rebuild a year earlier, they may not be good enough to keep the 2021 pick they owe Boston out of the top half of the lottery but they will have had 2 high draft picks in the mean time and will be a year further into the rebuild. Its a gamble either way.

51 minutes ago, KyleB said:

Its the hype around the 2021 draft, people expect it to be one of the deepest of all time and they don't want to get the number 1 pick in the deepest draft of all time and watch it go to Boston.

But you are right, this could easily break the wrong way and they end up with the 7th or 8th pick this year instead of a top 5 and good odds to move up, and still end up giving Boston the pick in 2021.

If they tank this year they start the rebuild a year earlier, they may not be good enough to keep the 2021 pick they owe Boston out of the top half of the lottery but they will have had 2 high draft picks in the mean time and will be a year further into the rebuild. Its a gamble either way.

Agree 100%. The concern in 21 is real but I believe the points you outlined below are more important. Commit now, obtain high lottery talent, be a year ahead of schedule. 

Then you are playing to develop and win. Plus the western conference will look completely different and yes, the draft will be stacked, but even if you finish with the worst record the new lottery rules give you a chance to end up anywhere. 

Mans my whole thing is this, get good as soon as possible, the trade was made and it was awful, but don’t let the pick dictate what you do 2 years out.