Grizzled Vet

#9 pick in draft watch - how many wins do you think it will take

I suppose that’s why it’s usually referred to as the 2016-17 or whatever season. Now you knuckleheads shut your traps and post some Kyle Anderson highlights or something

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Why can't you understand that when I say 2016, I mean 2016-2017. This year to me is 2018, because that's when the season begins. Haven't we gone over this before?

If you do it that way then for the 2011-2012 season are you going to say 2011?  There were no regular season games played that season in 2011.  The whole regular season and the playoffs took place in 2012.   It just makes no sense Kevin.  I think you need to make some adjustments and get with the program.

Sub, issue some demerits until he complies!

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

If you do it that way then for the 2011-2012 season are you going to say 2011?  There were no regular season games played that season in 2011.  The whole regular season and the playoffs took place in 2012.   It just makes no sense Kevin.  I think you need to make some adjustments and get with the program.

Sub, issue some demerits until he complies!

Actually, that season started on Christmas day, 2011.

4 minutes ago, Wells said:

Actually, that season started on Christmas day, 2011.

Noooooooooooooo!   Dang!  My memory failed again.

Sub, issue me five demerits and give KBM a Grizzlies merit badge and a cookie!

On 12/6/2018 at 12:53 PM, Rdk4121 said:

I think everyone in the west minus the Suns (way less) and the Warriors and OKC (more) will have between 42 and 46 wins. Should be fun. The team to watch is the Spurs, will they are usually a lock for the playoffs, they might fade soon and might end up making some changes at the end of the season.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I want to point out that OKC has yet to play many divisional games.

Right now, they've only played one and so they have 15 games remaining in the toughest division in basketball (it pains me to now say the Northwest is the toughest division in basketball, but it's true).  Given how tight the West is, they are like the rest of the West (minus Suns and Warriors) as a non-gimme to make the playoffs.

Although, injuries are going to play a big role.  

For the 2017 to 2018 season, Minnesota got in at #8 with 47 wins.   For the 2 previous seasons, Portland and Houston both had 41 wins.  I think that the teams that tanked last year contributed to last year's anomaly of the #8 seed having 47 wins. 

Two tough losses for the Grizzlies tonight on daggers from Sacramento and Portland in games they arguably should have lost. Every game is crucial for the Grizzlies. I wouldn't say Boston is a must win but they just HAVE to get up for that Houston game. 

8 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Two tough losses for the Grizzlies tonight on daggers from Sacramento and Portland in games they arguably should have lost. Every game is crucial for the Grizzlies. I wouldn't say Boston is a must win but they just HAVE to get up for that Houston game. 

As I find myself scoreboard watching I'm never quite sure how to cheer on some of these games.  While tough to stomach, I feel like the Warriors are a guaranteed playoff team so might as well hope they win, and the Suns and all EC teams might as well get my meaningless cheers against WC foes. After that, maybe the Pelicans are working their way out but everyone else I just try to enjoy the game.

Tonight for example, I'm not sure who I hope wins these 3 WC only games.

Clippers v Lakers

Spurs v Nuggets

Pelicans v Mavs

(Also cheering for Hawks over TWolves and Suns over Thunder)

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Clippers v Lakers

Spurs v Nuggets

Pelicans v Mavs

Nuggets are in and Spurs battling us so im rooting for spurs to lose.

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Clippers v Lakers

Spurs v Nuggets

Pelicans v Mavs

I am with you on the scoreboard watching, even this early in the season with a lot of teams bunched together.  Hard to bet against Houston or San Antonio making the playoffs but who do you count out?  It seems that the Pelicans, Clippers, Twolves and potentially the Mavs are good bets to fade with the Mavs one year away. 

With teams tightly bunched, this could be the year where it closer to .500 getting in but I would think 44 wins will do it.

On 11/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Father Pat said:

Could be more to that. Curry was injured, got close to coming back and got hit in a car accident. The vehicle that hit him looked a lot like KBM's...

😄

I suspect that there will be several teams hovered around low to mid 40s in wins and there may be like 3 teams with similar wins that miss out. It's kind of hard to say how many wins it takes cause I suspect there may be 2-3 teams with the same record and 1 gets in and the other 2 don't due to a tie breaker. 

Wherever we end up this year, I expect the playoffs to be an entertaining slug fest. If Golden State somehow imploded (Durant issues, Boogie destroying chemistry, or whatever) it would be even more competitive because I think every team would feel they have a legit shot to win it all. I just hope we’re a part of the action this spring.

If the Grizzlies beat the Heat tomorrow, they will (briefly) be in a 4 way tie for 11th with Pelicans, T'Wolves, and Mavs although NO and Minnesota playing later that night to break that tie.

It'd be nice to defeat the fringe playoff teams and worse in the East.

ESPN has Grizz playoffs odds at 1.3%.

538 has playoff odds at 17%, and drafting in the 13th or 14th spot.

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Missing the playoffs and not getting a draft pick sets up the most depressing offseason ever.

Another reason for wanting to get it done as soon as possible.

15 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Missing the playoffs and not getting a draft pick sets up the most depressing offseason ever.

You forgot to also add: Minimal cap space to only offer minimum deals and possibly the bi-annual exception.

18 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Cant let it happen. I don't know what we do but we cant let that happen

THREAD SHIFT

Grizzlies sit with 6th pick right now, and have played most the teams below.

If they keep their Last 10 pace over the remainder of the season, they end with 22-23 wins, same as last year.

Teams below them (games ahead)

Hawks (4.5) - Grizzlies have already played twice

Bulls (8) - Both games remain.

Suns (8.5) - 1 home game remains.

Knicks (8) - At NY remains

Cavs (10.5) - Already played twice

Not insurmountable of a lead:

All those bad teams from the East still have a lot of games against each other remaining.

Atlanta hasn't played Phoenix, play Chicago 3 more times, 

Chicago plays Cleveland once more, Knicks twice,  Suns again, 

Suns still play Knicks once, and Cavs twice

Knicks still have Cavs twice (and previously mentioned games above)

Our cheering interest should be clear. In all those games, cheer for the Cavs to lose as their lead is insurmountable.

All the rest, especially the Hawks, Bulls, Suns are in striking distance.

tenor.gif?itemid=3430376

All of you wanting JB replaced.  Now, he's the perfect man for the job...25 wins gets the Grizzlies in bottom 4.  But they really need to bottom 3, which probably needs 23 wins.

(and I think the tank has been going on for a while)

All of the sudden Temple becomes our most important player he is driving the tank.

If GB keeps giving him all this minutes the 1 draft pick is not that far of.

12 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

THREAD SHIFT

Grizzlies sit with 6th pick right now, and have played most the teams below.

If they keep their Last 10 pace over the remainder of the season, they end with 22-23 wins, same as last year.

Teams below them (games ahead)

Hawks (4.5) - Grizzlies have already played twice

Bulls (8) - Both games remain.

Suns (8.5) - 1 home game remains.

Knicks (8) - At NY remains

Cavs (10.5) - Already played twice

Not insurmountable of a lead:

All those bad teams from the East still have a lot of games against each other remaining.

Atlanta hasn't played Phoenix, play Chicago 3 more times, 

Chicago plays Cleveland once more, Knicks twice,  Suns again, 

Suns still play Knicks once, and Cavs twice

Knicks still have Cavs twice (and previously mentioned games above)

Our cheering interest should be clear. In all those games, cheer for the Cavs to lose as their lead is insurmountable.

All the rest, especially the Hawks, Bulls, Suns are in striking distance.

tenor.gif?itemid=3430376

Not to get picky but don't the Grizzlies play the Cavs again on Feb 23rd in Cleveland? 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Not to get picky but don't the Grizzlies play the Cavs again on Feb 23rd in Cleveland? 

Yes....dammit.

When I make mistakes like that......

giphy.gif

And that's why I'm not qualified to do a game thread.