LuvThem Grizzlies

JJJ has arrived ahead of schedule

1 hour ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

stockton  ? YAO ?West ? how many mvps do they have ?0

Not everyone can be special!

10 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Yes, to me a player has to be MVP level to be special. Like I mentioned, watered down words and giving MAX contracts to mid-level good players cheapens the meaning.

I said the kid has a chance to be a multiple time all-star so yes if he is MVP level, I will gladly eat crow. It would in fact delight me. It means this team finally has a MVP level draw.

If that's your personal standard - fine, but when was the last time a rookie was in MVP discussion?  I don't even think LBJ, KD, Giannis or MJ were.

1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Oops, I think I may have to relieve X from his GM post, you don't think 3J making him look bad would keep him from posting here, would you? Maybe I just missed his post.

The funniest thing is that Jaren is probably the first college prospect me and KBM agreed on being very good our entire time on this board and it was very early in the college season last year. So I am enjoying this season as much as any we have had in Memphis. Has surpassed ZBo's MVPish season, the first season of the 10 man rotation and Mayo's rookie season.  

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

If that's your personal standard - fine, but when was the last time a rookie was in MVP discussion?  I don't even think LBJ, KD, Giannis or MJ were.

Last one was probably Duncan...

9 hours ago, Blue Bear said:

What a great draft pick. It doesn't stop here. Jaren will have a much better game than we saw tonight before the end of the season. 

Yup,  hopefully he works on his rebounding and mid-range game while adding a little more muscle for next year.  

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Who in this draft would you trade Jaren for today?

If no one, then he is special.

Also, MVP is a construct. Not sure you can really make your point with that. Just like the whole, Mike Conley isn't a star because stars are allstars, lol.

James harden was an MVP, now his team is barely a .500 win team. All of these labels are what's wrong with the nba right now. You will never convince me that Kyrie Irving was/is better than Mike Conley. But the sad fact is that Kyrie is probably a first ballot hall of famer and Conley might not even get in, all due to the stupid politics of the nba.

Had Pau Gasol played for the grizzlies his entire career, he'd have never gotten to the hall of fame, just due to the politics of the nba.

Mitchell Robinson?

To put things in perspective, I think most folks would agree that Kevin Garnett was a "special" player.

Rookie season through 21 games:

JJJ - 289 pts, 97 reb, 30 ast, 20 stl, 42 blk, 543 min

KG  - 129 pts, 72 reb, 29 ast, 15 stl, 20 blk, 383 min

Rookie season through 21 games - per 36 min:

JJJ - 19.2 pts, 6.4 reb, 2.0 ast, 1.3 stl, 2.8 blk

KG  - 12.1 pts, 6.8 reb, 2.7 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.9 blk

Kevin Garnett had 6 games of 20+ points his entire rookie season.  JJJ already has 5, and his game last night exceeded KG's best that season.  KG put up his numbers on a 26 win team.  Memphis has equaled half that 1/4th of the way through the season.  JJJ has been going against starters.  KG was coming off the bench against backups at this point.   Jaren is younger than Kevin was at this point of their careers.

Now I'm not saying that Jaren will have as great a career as KG, it is very early in his career and that would truly be something, but things are looking very good so far.  If some folks definition of "special" is higher than that of a comparable young player whose career was such that he will likely become enshrined in the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, I guess that's okay, but in my mind Jaren is a special player.

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

To put things in perspective, I think most folks would agree that Kevin Garnett was a "special" player.

Rookie season through 21 games:

JJJ - 289 pts, 97 reb, 30 ast, 20 stl, 42 blk, 543 min

KG  - 129 pts, 72 reb, 29 ast, 15 stl, 20 blk, 383 min

Rookie season through 21 games - per 36 min:

JJJ - 19.2 pts, 6.4 reb, 2.0 ast, 1.3 stl, 2.8 blk

KG  - 12.1 pts, 6.8 reb, 2.7 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.9 blk

Kevin Garnett had 6 games of 20+ points his entire rookie season.  JJJ already has 5, and his game last night exceeded KG's best that season.  KG put up his numbers on a 26 win team.  Memphis has equaled half that 1/4th of the way through the season.  JJJ has been going against starters.  KG was coming off the bench against backups at this point.   Jaren is younger than Kevin was at this point of their careers.

Now I'm not saying that Jaren will have as great a career as KG, it is very early in his career and that would truly be something, but things are looking very good so far.  If some folks definition of "special" is higher than that of a comparable young player whose career was such that he will likely become enshrined in the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, I guess that's okay, but in my mind Jaren is a special player.

good points but in fairness KG was straight out of high school while JJJ had year of college. If JJJ plated last season in nba he wouldb've probably produced at KG rook level.

I used  watched timberwolves back in day when Gugliotta was the man.  KG wasn't that good as a rook tbh, he became great through hard work.

JJJ is already pretty good, sky is the limit.

11 minutes ago, guillermo said:

good points but in fairness KG was straight out of high school while JJJ had year of college. If JJJ plated last season in nba he wouldb've probably produced at KG rook level.

I used  watched timberwolves back in day when Gugliotta was the man.  KG wasn't that good as a rook tbh, he became great through hard work.

JJJ is already pretty good, sky is the limit.

All I'm saying is that so far he compares well.  Jaren is younger than KG was, despite having played a year in college.  I just think there is hope for Memphis.

27 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

All I'm saying is that so far he compares well.  Jaren is younger than KG was, despite having played a year in college.  I just think there is hope for Memphis.

Yeah we got us a unicorn 

4 hours ago, MemphisX said:

The funniest thing is that Jaren is probably the first college prospect me and KBM agreed on being very good our entire time on this board and it was very early in the college season last year. So I am enjoying this season as much as any we have had in Memphis. Has surpassed ZBo's MVPish season, the first season of the 10 man rotation and Mayo's rookie season.  

Wouldn't you say that he has outperformed Young and Bamba, so far.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think he should be the number 1 option. 

1 minute ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

What had Conley done last night before OT, 13-14 points? What had Jaren done last night in the 1st Q, 13, in about 6 minutes? I think JB is messing up, taking him out and letting Gasol play 10-12 minutes in the 1st Q. The ball flows much better with Gasol in the game and Conley is not but he has to cut back on his minutes.

Honestly my biggest claim to fame in this particular draft is that I never wanted DeAndre ayton or Marvin Bagley.

I always liked Jaren Jackson Jr Luka Doncic and Wendell Carter jr.

I was also in favor of moving down in the draft. I was big Time for Miles Bridges.

My biggest misstep was Robert Williams. Although he might prove to be a great player he certainly isn't one right now.

We're I really got it wrong was that I didn't realize that you could basically get the defensive players that I was trying to draft in free agency for so little.

The Grizzlies front office basically did what I wanted them to do all along was to go back to a defensive-minded team and draft defensive-minded players.

only what they did was drafted Superstar and then sign a bunch of defensive-minded players which is a hell of a lot better.

44 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I think he will get there soon, but a little patience would be prudent.  Things don't happen overnight, not if you want to have a competitive team anyway.

16 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Honestly my biggest claim to fame in this particular draft is that I never wanted DeAndre ayton or Marvin Bagley.

I always liked Jaren Jackson Jr Luka Doncic and Wendell Carter jr.

I was also in favor of moving down in the draft. I was big Time for Miles Bridges.

My biggest misstep was Robert Williams. Although he might prove to be a great player he certainly isn't one right now.

We're I really got it wrong was that I didn't realize that you could basically get the defensive players that I was trying to draft in free agency for so little.

The Grizzlies front office basically did what I wanted them to do all along was to go back to a defensive-minded team and draft defensive-minded players.

only what they did was drafted Superstar and then sign a bunch of defensive-minded players which is a hell of a lot better.

maybe they can turn some of our 7guys that are not part of the future into youngster that can grow with JJJ,Brooks

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I didnt realize JJJ is younger than KG as rook.  

yes I agree they are very comparable and now I think JJJ is actually further along than KG was at same age

we got a good one

13 minutes ago, JJJTG said:

Saying it now...  JJJ The Great.

Greater than Gay.

Greater than Gasol.

Thabust? That you..?

Setting aside for a moment what JJJ is in terms of the league or his future, let's at least acknowledge that he has exceeded expectations in terms of what we needed out of him this early.  If he were having an "average" rookie campaign, no way we'd be performing at the level we are now.  

We needed this draft pick to be a potential star and to start out of the gate strong, and I say he has achieved that on both counts.  And clearly Gasol's game has elevated - JJJ has to be somewhat responsible for making things easier on him.  

It looks like at the very least, JJJ is headed for the 2nd best if not eventually the best rookie campaign in team history.  Why would any fan of this team want to play devil's advocate to that?  Want to pooh pooh what this kid is doing?

1 hour ago, Subliminal said:

Thabust? That you..?

Nope.  Just trying to draw the man out of hiding.  He’s overdue for a cameo at this point and I miss the guy.

24 minutes ago, JJJTG said:

Nope.  Just trying to draw the man out of hiding.  He’s overdue for a cameo at this point and I miss the guy.

I saw him post once or twice right before the season started I believe