LuvThem Grizzlies

JJJ has arrived ahead of schedule

NBA Rookie Rating

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-trae-youngs-shooting-still-an-issue-when-should-hawks-start-to-worry/

2892693.png
Jaren Jackson Jr.MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES PF

Last week: 6
Stats this week: 15.5 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, 1.5 steals

Jackson has developed much faster offensively than most anticipated, and he continues to be a defensive terror for the surprising Grizzlies. As if he needed another weapon, Jackson seems to be getting more comfortable from the 3-point line, hitting 4-of-8 from distance this week. He's hit at least one 3 in four of the last five games, which will only make him and Memphis more dangerous.

long time ago at bwwings chris wallace uttered the words ‘lightnin’ in a bottle ‘ to a few of us crazy griz fans over some beers. it was very shortly after he arrived. 

it certainly seems as though we have our message in da bottle- police reference, sorry. the kid is special. on top of all, he’s a good kid. go griz. 

slim. 

The kid is special, The kid is special!

This organization is so starved for talent that good talent looks special. What is "Special" anyway? Only unicorn players which either changes the way the game is played and makes the league adjust to them or at the very least are capable of multiple MVP years are "special" players. Lebron, KD, upcoming Giannis these are special players.

JJJ is a good player with a chance for multiple all-star appearances. He does NOT look MVP conversation. A big that can't rebound for balls does not spell special. He can't rebound for balls!

Of course he is young his game will change and improve but I see All-Star not MVP type.

I disagree. By age 24 or 25 I think he’s going to be one of the best bigs in the league 

27pts 8 rbs 2.4 blks 

I see a lot of Bosh in him, more shooting less rebounding tho. Now Bosh wasn't enough to get the Raps very far and I dunno if JJJ will be if he's THE centerpiece. I think we'll still need to draft a Wade to our Bosh in the near future if we really want the next gen Grizz to be a legit contender.

But you gotta like what we've seen from him so far.

17 minutes ago, cdp said:

I see a lot of Bosh in him, more shooting less rebounding tho. Now Bosh wasn't enough to get the Raps very far and I dunno if JJJ will be if he's THE centerpiece. I think we'll still need to draft a Wade to our Bosh in the near future if we really want the next gen Grizz to be a legit contender.

But you gotta like what we've seen from him so far.

Bosh wasn't enough to get Toronto far because he really could not impact the game the way JJJ can on both ends of the floor. However, AD is in the same situation. At the end of the day, a team still needs to put talent around their superstar for them to go far. I'm hoping by YR3/YR4, we will know for sure JJJ is that centerpiece superstar that can dominate both ends of the floor. However, we will still need 1 or 2 other star level players around him.

33 minutes ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Bosh wasn't enough to get Toronto far because he really could not impact the game the way JJJ can on both ends of the floor. However, AD is in the same situation. At the end of the day, a team still needs to put talent around their superstar for them to go far. I'm hoping by YR3/YR4, we will know for sure JJJ is that centerpiece superstar that can dominate both ends of the floor. However, we will still need 1 or 2 other star level players around him.

In his YR3/YR4, will Mike or Marc be here?  And what version of them will be here?  Would have been a different story this year if JJJ had arrived a few years back and his YR3/YR4 were right now.  

My comparison of him before the draft was that he was a young Robert horry. I still think that that is true.

I think that he is very similar to Andrei kirilenko, on the defensive end and he has a little bit of Andrei kirilenko's offensive game.

He most likely will have a more offensive potential than Robert horry had. But their games are real real similar. Especially Robert horry when he was a first and second-year player and not the old stand behind the three-point line Robert or that everybody knows.

8 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

My comparison of him before the draft was that he was a young Robert horry. I still think that that is true.

I think that he is very similar to Andrei kirilenko, on the defensive end and he has a little bit of Andrei kirilenko's offensive game.

He most likely will have a more offensive potential than Robert horry had. But their games are real real similar. Especially Robert horry when he was a first and second-year player and not the old stand behind the three-point line Robert or that everybody knows.

Neither of those guys had a post-up game in the paint like Jaren does.

JJJ is a bigger  serge  with better handles  to me , granted serge never seemed to put it all together  in the same year so maybe serge if you combine his first/last half of his career   . great rim protector that can get out and guard some 3's and hit a 3 ball 

He is simply JJJ. A stretch big that is a good finisher around the rim withndefent post moves and half hooks as well as a three point shot. 

Once in a blue moon dribble drive player. 

Who hopefully gets the idea that a player who is 6”11 with a 7”3 wingspan should be doing better than rebounding 4 a game. Even Marc is rebounding better than him. And that’s not a good sign. 

A defensvie liability right now but when not being stupid can impact the game defensively.

19 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

The kid is special, The kid is special!

This organization is so starved for talent that good talent looks special. What is "Special" anyway? Only unicorn players which either changes the way the game is played and makes the league adjust to them or at the very least are capable of multiple MVP years are "special" players. Lebron, KD, upcoming Giannis these are special players.

JJJ is a good player with a chance for multiple all-star appearances. He does NOT look MVP conversation. A big that can't rebound for balls does not spell special. He can't rebound for balls!

Of course he is young his game will change and improve but I see All-Star not MVP type.

Giannis didn't start off like he is now.. So noone knew he was special.

Yes no one knew so no one crowned him special. He is special now based on real production. What's your point?

Board is crowning the kid "special" like he is going to have a statue outside an arena someday.

JJJ is good NOT special unless you want to water down the word.

16 hours ago, Allen said:

I disagree. By age 24 or 25 I think he’s going to be one of the best bigs in the league 

27pts 8 rbs 2.4 blks 

What does one of the best bigs in the league mean? Top 5? Top 3?

When I hear people say a player is special, I expect him to be top 5 in the game across all positions. Meaning MVP conversation.

The Dream Hakeem Olajuwon is special. Kenyon Martin is NOT special.

Like throwing out MAX contracts to mediocre players, HOFer terms are used to describe mid-level good players.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Neither of those guys had a post-up game in the paint like Jaren does.

He did his rookie year. You just remember the standing at the 3 point line horry. Horry was a quite versatile player his first 3 to 4 years in the league. He played hella defense, pick and pop, drives to the basket and an assortment of shots. Once he went to La and ultimately to the spurs, his game evolved.

I'm not saying that he and Robert are the same skill level. Jaren obviously has more potential. But their games are very similar. 

8 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

What does one of the best bigs in the league mean? Top 5? Top 3?

When I hear people say a player is special, I expect him to be top 5 in the game across all positions. Meaning MVP conversation.

The Dream Hakeem Olajuwon is special. Kenyon Martin is NOT special.

Like throwing out MAX contracts to mediocre players, HOFer terms are used to describe mid-level good players.

Top 10 player in the league. I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be. 

B ball iq, work ethic, measurables, skill level. Year 4 and 5 Jaren is going to be something else 

7 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

LaMarcus Aldridge

I thought that's who he was referring to, but I'm not sure why he dragged him into the discussion.  KBM was comparing JJJ's game to Horry's and Kirilenko's, which prompted my comment.  

17 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

LMA but 3J can out jump him.

Are you saying you think JJJ's game is like Aldridge's game?  If so, I don't think I would make that comparison.  Aldridge relies on his jumper more.  I've never seen LaMarcus run hard to the offensive end and get deep post position like Jaren.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

I thought that's who he was referring to, but I'm not sure why he dragged him into the discussion.  KBM was comparing JJJ's game to Horry's and Kirilenko's, which prompted my comment.  

Are you saying you think JJJ's game is like Aldridge's game?  If so, I don't think I would make that comparison.  Aldridge relies on his jumper more.  I've never seen LaMarcus run hard to the offensive end and get deep post position like Jaren.

I don't think Horry was as big as 3J but LMA would be a closer comparison.