chipc3

Memphis Grizzlies at Philadelphia 76ers - 12/2/18

Grizzlies Gametime Discussion

Memphis Grizzlies at Philadelphia 76ers 
Date/Time: Saturday, Dec 2, 5:00 PM CST

Television: NBALP | Fox Sports South

Memphis Radio: 92.9FM | 680AM

Promotions: 

Grizz Social: iTunes Google Play Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram Pinterest Snapchat Flickr YouTube LinkedIn

Grizzlies Starting 5

Mike Conley Garrett Temple Kyle Anderson Jaren Jackson Marc Gasol
201144.png 202066.png 203937.png 1628991.png 201188.png

Sixers Starting 5

Ben Simmons J J Reddick Jimmy Butler Wilson Chandler Joel Embiid
1627732.png 200755.png 202710.png 201163.png 203954.png

Benches

Memphis: Sheldon Mack, Dillon Brooks, Marshon Brooks, Ivan Rabb, Chandler Parsons, Wayne Selden, JaMychal Green, Omar Casspi

Philadelphia: Jonah Bolden, Markelle Fultz, TJ McConnell, Mike Muscala, Amir Johnson, Zaire Smith, Furkan Kormaz, Landry Shamel, Shake Milton, DeMetrius Jackson

Grizzlies: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets | Promotions | Watch Parties

Sixers: Preview | Recap | News | Roster | Stats | Schedule | Photos | Video | Tickets

Depth Charts: CBS | ESPN | Yahoo

Injuries: CBS | ESPN | FOX | Yahoo

I'm going to go with the every game prediction:

The teams will be within 4 points of each other with less than 3 minutes to play.

If Grizzlies avoid foul trouble and make baskets down the stretch, they win.

....oh, also including the standard,  "a must win game" comment.

59 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The defense from the early season is slipping.

Teams are coming in more prepared for a slower paced game.

5 hours ago, Wells said:

Teams are coming in more prepared for a slower paced game.

I also believe our difficulties on offense means we can't setup halfcourt defense to slow teams down.    we need another scorer. 

3 hours ago, Subliminal said:

L 145-82 😒

give me 62 pts and I will take the grizzlies

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I also believe our difficulties on offense means we can't setup halfcourt defense to slow teams down.    we need another scorer. 

THAT’S why our rebounding is taking a hit... guys rushing back in order to get set on defense.

i’m gonna watch this area closely ...see if that’s what’s happening.

if it is - i am more comfortable with them not crashing the offensive boards to get back on d.

36 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

THAT’S why our rebounding is taking a hit... guys rushing back in order to get set on defense.

i’m gonna watch this area closely ...see if that’s what’s happening.

if it is - i am more comfortable with them not crashing the offensive boards to get back on d.

A couple things about rebounding.  Folks (not you Toke) are always pointing out that we are a bad rebounding team, but that statistic is deceptive.  Total rebounds for the team is a terrible way to compare us to other teams.  We play slower than anyone else.  Playing slower means there are less rebound chances, therefore we will always have lower rebound totals.

Rebound differential is a much better comparison because it compares us directly to our opponents while disregarding what the other 28 teams are doing in their games.  After all, who cares if all the run 'n' gun, shot jacking teams are getting a bunch of rebounds bricking a bunch of shots in a high uptempo game?  It has nothing yo do with us.  We are a minus in the rebounding differential department though, but as you have pointed out Toke, we are not even trying to get offensive boards.  We are sacrificing offensive rebound opportunities in favor of setting up our defense - this is a team strategy.

What the team wants to do is control the defensive boards, and while we still need some improvement in that department, we are currently middle of the pack at 14th.  In addition to that we are tied with Boston for 7th in limiting opponents' offensive boards.

I just wanted to point out that our rebounding is not as bad as it seems.  Sure, we could still use some improvement, but it isn't that bad.

39 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

A couple things about rebounding.  Folks (not you Toke) are always pointing out that we are a bad rebounding team, but that statistic is deceptive.  Total rebounds for the team is a terrible way to compare us to other teams.  We play slower than anyone else.  Playing slower means there are less rebound chances, therefore we will always have lower rebound totals.

Rebound differential is a much better comparison because it compares us directly to our opponents while disregarding what the other 28 teams are doing in their games.  After all, who cares if all the run 'n' gun, shot jacking teams are getting a bunch of rebounds bricking a bunch of shots in a high uptempo game?  It has nothing yo do with us.  We are a minus in the rebounding differential department though, but as you have pointed out Toke, we are not even trying to get offensive boards.  We are sacrificing offensive rebound opportunities in favor of setting up our defense - this is a team strategy.

What the team wants to do is control the defensive boards, and while we still need some improvement in that department, we are currently middle of the pack at 14th.  In addition to that we are tied with Boston for 7th in limiting opponents' offensive boards.

I just wanted to point out that our rebounding is not as bad as it seems.  Sure, we could still use some improvement, but it isn't that bad.

Thanks smit-ray griz. It’s always nice to put things in proper perspective. 

As my great-grandpappy used to say, “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others' approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her”.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Didn't Hubie Brown used to say if you are getting a lot of rebounds you are missing a lot of shots?

2 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Didn't Hubie Brown used to say if you are getting a lot of rebounds you are missing a lot of shots?

I had not heard that, but it sounds pretty accurate. :lol:

An overlooked point about our defense: when Jaren gets 2 early fouls in the quarter, it not only hurts him not being on the court, it also puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the guys to play that much more solid, so as not to put the other team in the bonus too quickly and that causes a lot of problems.

The grizzlies can't play aggressive defense like they'd like to, it allows the other team to set up their defense against us. Fouling (whoever it is) is a big problem and really is hurting the grizzlies defense.

38 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

An overlooked point about our defense: when Jaren gets 2 early fouls in the quarter, it not only hurts him not being on the court, it also puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the guys to play that much more solid, so as not to put the other team in the bonus too quickly and that causes a lot of problems.

The grizzlies can't play aggressive defense like they'd like to, it allows the other team to set up their defense against us. Fouling (whoever it is) is a big problem and really is hurting the grizzlies defense.

But this is something Silver refuses to adjust because he wants Harden's jersey to remain on the top sellers list.

We are not the only ones complaining but our guys are mentioned in this article

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25410888/nba-james-harden-foul-drawing-mastery-unstoppable

I for one as a fan don't want to watch a game that has 40+ fouls and 55+ free throw attempts, and there have been a few of these already this season, I posted about this earlier in the month. That's boring as bat $£!+

One the other side of the coin, Marc Gasol's foul in the Nets game was as blatant as could be but it brought a big smile to my face after he got away with it. 😂

24 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

That's boring as bat $£!+

One the other side of the coin, Marc Gasol's foul in the Nets game was as blatant as could be but it brought a big smile to my face after he got away with it. 😂

I won’t lie, with all the inconsistency, I laughed as well. 

With that said, you’ve been issued 2 demerits for using a curse word, however well disguised..

Fun fact of the day:

Grizz are 13-8 vs the spread.  Their record is 13-8.

The spread, last I saw was 7.5.  If they can keep it close, they have a shot.  If not, they don't.  (from Captain Obvious)