Subliminal

Time To Trade Gasol?

51 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Beginning of the season and before, I'd say get rid of him. I have no faith in players that have option years sticking around, and I hate it when the Grizzlies lose talent for nothing in return. Right now I'm thinking '10-'11 Mav's, who were not the best team in the league but were good enough to win it all because of misfortune happening to other teams.

I've been following the NBA a long time and there is something special about the Grizzlies this season. Of course it's early, very early actually, and we could definitely use a good scorer, but - get the meme ready- I'm thinking there's a chance.

I know it’s WAY early but I agree. The major media who just touch a little on the NBA(which was a given)  and even the NBA analyst gave us no shot. They highly underestimated what it would be like pairing the defensive minds and effort of KA & GT with 2 guys exactly like them MC& Marc but those 2 having offense. 

Look at how bad GSW are without Draymond and he is the defensive backbone

We have a starting 5 that isn’t 5 all stars except they are 5 guys who play defense. We have a PG&C who can kill you in the pick and roll (and have insane chemistry) then you surround them with 2 guys who can knock down open 3s (GT&JJJ) and a guy KA ,on the floor for defense, who cuts like crazy to the basket when people forget him  (sound familiar)!! 

Im not saying we are winning the championship but if people don’t realize this is a really really good team then they are delirious. We play some of the best defense in th league and keep us in the game most of the time no matter how dry we go on offense sometimes. We could definitely use some scoring at times but I don’t if you wanna mess with the mojo and defense.

Some of the defensive stands, rotations etc are just insane 

Mack most of the time let’s mike take longer rest and let’s him rest on the court some

Casspi has been a crazy good sign and role player (not pretty but he usually makes an impact)

JJJ Jam and Marc are a solid big man rotation 

(we could cut some Marc minutes but not sure how yet)

We could use M Brooks to be a little more consistent off the bench but he has helped a few games.

And to agree with your “something special” comment, I think it’s the defensive effort and how they just confuse the heck out of teams 

When KA GT or Marc step into a specific spot where a guy is going to run a play, that just ruins the play and that’s happening frequently 

We have a really good team and the effort is there so we just need to stay healthy and hopefully keep rolling!

6 minutes ago, Mempho said:

I know it’s WAY early but I agree. The major media who just touch a little on the NBA(which was a given)  and even the NBA analyst gave us no shot. They highly underestimated what it would be like pairing the defensive minds and effort of KA & GT with 2 guys exactly like them MC& Marc but those 2 having offense. 

Look at how bad GSW are without Draymond and he is the defensive backbone

We have a starting 5 that isn’t 5 all stars except they are 5 guys who play defense. We have a PG&C who can kill you in the pick and roll (and have insane chemistry) then you surround them with 2 guys who can knock down open 3s (GT&JJJ) and a guy KA ,on the floor for defense, who cuts like crazy to the basket when people forget him  (sound familiar)!! 

Im not saying we are winning the championship but if people don’t realize this is a really really good team then they are delirious. We play some of the best defense in th league and keep us in the game most of the time no matter how dry we go on offense sometimes. We could definitely use some scoring at times but I don’t if you wanna mess with the mojo and defense.

Some of the defensive stands, rotations etc are just insane 

Mack most of the time let’s mike take longer rest and let’s him rest on the court some

Casspi has been a crazy good sign and role player (not pretty but he usually makes an impact)

JJJ Jam and Marc are a solid big man rotation 

(we could cut some Marc minutes but not sure how yet)

We could use M Brooks to be a little more consistent off the bench but he has helped a few games.

And to agree with your “something special” comment, I think it’s the defensive effort and how they just confuse the heck out of teams 

When KA GT or Marc step into a specific spot where a guy is going to run a play, that just ruins the play and that’s happening frequently 

We have a really good team and the effort is there so we just need to stay healthy and hopefully keep rolling!

👏🧐

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Beginning of the season and before, I'd say get rid of him. I have no faith in players that have option years sticking around, and I hate it when the Grizzlies lose talent for nothing in return. Right now I'm thinking '10-'11 Mav's, who were not the best team in the league but were good enough to win it all because of misfortune happening to other teams.

I've been following the NBA a long time and there is something special about the Grizzlies this season. Of course it's early, very early actually, and we could definitely use a good scorer, but - get the meme ready- I'm thinking there's a chance.

They had the best player in the league and a defense. There was no misfortune other than the fact that Dirk couldn't be stopped. 

8 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Sooo... looks like the people have spoken.

- thread comes back

- turns into a trade centric conversation 

- it’s moved to the area that was designed ( for real - the trade forum was one of the FIRST things I was involved in . We created it to allow like minded trade machine using poster with a keyboard and internet connection having gummy bear Cheeto eating Red Bull drinking ... I digress)

Keep it generic.. skirt the rule ... push the boundaries- old head posters know exactly what I mean. 

I wasn’t hired to be a mod ... I was one of the original line crossers. 

But , here we are.

Here’s your thread. 

Help me - help y’all .

Keep it clean and fan out over the team that has us here  !

uh- Go Grizz? 

Yeah - Go Grizz!

I feel like a grownup... the bad kind ... rules, homework, room clean inspecting eat your vegetables- grownup.

Since I don’t have a gavel or a gown , I’ll leave you with a floor slap and a FIRST TEAM ALL DEFENSE scowl.

-toke

+1

I feel like this whole conversation boils down to: what is the best possible outcome of keeping Conley/Gasol +JJJ and rest of the team vs. letting Conley/Gasol go for future assets + JJJ and the rest of team. 

Is it worth it in a small market, let alone Memphis, to make a hard reset rebuild while being 1st in the west 1/5 through the season?

There’s many factors to consider. 

1 minute ago, Subliminal said:

I feel like this whole conversation boils down to: what is the best possible outcome of keeping Conley/Gasol +JJJ and rest of the team vs. letting Conley/Gasol go for future assets + JJJ and the rest of team. 

Is it worth it in a small market, let alone Memphis, to make a hard reset rebuild while being 1st in the west 1/5 through the season?

It'll be unpopular but right now Marc is playing consistently so well that you would have to say no to a trade. If he was playing average to good, say 5 to 7/10, you be considering the future (at his age) and probably consider a trade. But his play is at 8.5 - 9/10 for pretty much most of Nov

I think he’s clearly taken JJJ under his wing and that’s going to work out very well in the long term. I doubt he’ll decline the player option (it’s just too much money for a player at the end of his career, remember he joined the NBA late) but I’m sure he would take a team-friendly contract for the rest of the duration of JJJ’s rookie contract. I really don’t see him providing the same kind of value to other teams at this point.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I think he’s clearly taken JJJ under his wing and that’s going to work out very well in the long term. I doubt he’ll decline the player option (it’s just too much money for a player at the end of his career, remember he joined the NBA late) but I’m sure he would take a team-friendly contract for the rest of the duration of JJJ’s rookie contract. I really don’t see him providing the same kind of value to other teams at this point.

r/wholesomememes

2 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Actually, I think that would be called utter stupidity.  I'm pretty sure the entire basketball universe would agree, minus a few miserable Memphis fans.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Actually, I think that would be called utter stupidity.  I'm pretty sure the entire basketball universe would agree, minus a few miserable Memphis fans.

You couldn’t really entertain the idea without knowing what the return would be. I’d venture not worth it though, considering all factors and what MG means to us right now. Utter than that, you ride it out. It’s carzy fun watching these guys right now and being competitive. 

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Who did?

The mavs did. 

Dirk was the #2 in points per game and the #1 guy (KD) Dirk outdueled in that series 32 ppg to 28 for KD.

It's an example of a player having a career playoffs, which dirk had at 32. He outdueled kd and LeBron that year.

34 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The mavs did. 

Dirk was the #2 in points per game and the #1 guy (KD) Dirk outdueled in that series 32 ppg to 28 for KD.

It's an example of a player having a career playoffs, which dirk had at 32. He outdueled kd and LeBron that year.

Dirk was very good, great even, but I don't necessarily think he was the best in the league as an individual player that season.  I sometimes entertain those "what if" dream scenarios, like "what if MC hadn't fouled out in the triple-overtime game against OKC that series?"  We would have faced Dirk and his boys, and we had already beaten them 3 of 4 that season.

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Dirk was very good, great even, but I don't necessarily think he was the best in the league as an individual player that season.  I sometimes entertain those "what if" dream scenarios, like "what if MC hadn't fouled out in the triple-overtime game against OKC that series?"  We would have faced Dirk and his boys, and we had already beaten them 3 of 4 that season.

Well that's the best game I ever saw live. Greivis Vasquez hitting that prayer to force double overtime.

But I don't think the Mavs were going to be denied that year.

people always thinking that the Grizzlies just don't have no chance no matter what. But I got news for them Mike Conley and Marc Gasol are having career years at the same time, and that's a problem for the rest of the league.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

This is all true. That's why I used the word "misfortunes' in my above post. Anyone with an open mind acknowledges that there were a bunch of things that happened during that post season that had immediate and ripple effects. Your "what If" puts it very well. What if Manu wasn't injured during the Spurs home loss to the Grizzlies? Other than that game, the home team won every game in that series. Perhaps then the Grizzlies don't become the second 8th seed team to ever beat a 1st seed team in a 7 game playoff series. What if Kobe didn't sprain his ankle in game 4 of their Pelican series? There were others as well. I think for someone to just declare in hindsight that no one was stopping a Dirk lead Mav team is a shallow take on the overall picture of that years post season. I also think that is what made that years post season so exciting. It could have easily went in several different directions.

Good stuff Smit-tay.

This is all true. That's why I used the word "misfortunes' in my above post. Anyone with an open mind acknowledges that there were a bunch of things that happened during that post season that had immediate and ripple effects. Your "what If" puts it very well. What if Manu wasn't injured during the Spurs home loss to the Grizzlies? Other than that game, the home team won every game in that series. Perhaps then the Grizzlies don't become the second 8th seed team to ever beat a 1st seed team in a 7 game playoff series. What if Kobe didn't sprain his ankle in game 4 of their Pelican series? There were others as well. I think for someone to just declare in hindsight that no one was stopping a Dirk lead Mav team is a shallow take on the overall picture of that years post season. I also think that is what made that years post season so exciting. It could have easily went in several different directions.

Good stuff Smit-tay.

LOL, the manu injury angle. Good grief. He should have been injured every year in the playoffs if that was the manu the spurs would get. It's been pointed out many times that Manu that year had his best playoffs he ever had as a spur.

You always want to point out that the grizzlies aren't the spurs, with all of their hall of famers on that team. Well, what about their other two hall of famers? I guess they needed a third hall of famer or the grizzlies had an unfair advantage? against a 46 win grizzlies team?

The grizzlies won that series in 6 games, and beat a 61 win team. Parker was 28 and Tim was 33. But they are helpless because Manu misses game 1 of that series. 

Mike has facial reconstructive surgery, but according to you, it didn't matter one bit in that series. No misfortunes in that series, right?

And what about the misfortunes that the grizzlies lost Rudy Gay? Oh I forgot, we determined by one series against the clippers that Rudy Gay made us a worse team even though years after that series with the spurs, pop wrote the book on how to beat the grizzlies that every other team has copied from years to come. Without rudy, don't guard tony allen and pack the paint. 

In sum:

The grizzlies lose Rudy, they are a 46 win team, they are playing a #1 seed who (poor spurs, lose Manu for 1 game) and can't even get the series to 7 games.

But even still, you bastardized smity's point to act like he was agreeing with you. He wasn't.

Why are you even a grizzlies fan? You clearly don't like the team.

Good stuff Smit-tay.

Yeah, about Manu injury, you could also ask what if Rudy's injury had not been bad enough to miss the playoffs that year, which is why it bugs me when folks talk about us getting lucky to beat OKC in 2013.  Well, maybe they were lucky in 2011.

33 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

LOL, the manu injury angle. Good grief. He should have been injured every year in the playoffs if that was the manu the spurs would get. It's been pointed out many times that Manu that year had his best playoffs he ever had as a spur.

You always want to point out that the grizzlies aren't the spurs, with all of their hall of famers on that team. Well, what about their other two hall of famers? I guess they needed a third hall of famer or the grizzlies had an unfair advantage? against a 46 win grizzlies team?

The grizzlies won that series in 6 games, and beat a 61 win team. Parker was 28 and Tim was 33. But they are helpless because Manu misses game 1 of that series. 

Mike has facial reconstructive surgery, but according to you, it didn't matter one bit in that series. No misfortunes in that series, right?

And what about the misfortunes that the grizzlies lost Rudy Gay? Oh I forgot, we determined by one series against the clippers that Rudy Gay made us a worse team even though years after that series with the spurs, pop wrote the book on how to beat the grizzlies that every other team has copied from years to come. Without rudy, don't guard tony allen and pack the paint. 

In sum:

The grizzlies lose Rudy, they are a 46 win team, they are playing a #1 seed who (poor spurs, lose Manu for 1 game) and can't even get the series to 7 games.

But even still, you bastardized smity's point to act like he was agreeing with you. He wasn't.

Why are you even a grizzlies fan? You clearly don't like the team.

Lord ha' mercy!  Where is all this coming from?!!  I didn't see him post any of that.

...and let me decide who I'm agreeing with.

16 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Lord ha' mercy!  Where is all this coming from?!!  I didn't see him post any of that.

...and let me decide who I'm agreeing with.

No, but I'm sure he has at some point. lol

12 hours ago, Subliminal said:

As much as I want this team blown up because Zion in Beale Street Blue would make season tickets worth buying, I wouldn’t even advocate blowing this team up mid season. If you can get a playoff run with a team no one wants to play in a small market you take it. And winning can only help JJJ’s development into a winning player in the future. 

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

No, but I'm sure he has at some point. lol

Seriously, are you alright?

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The mavs did. 

Wasn't that the series that Berea had such a good series? I thought he shouldv've been the MVP.

5 hours ago, King Dork said:

As much as I want this team blown up because Zion in Beale Street Blue would make season tickets worth buying, I wouldn’t even advocate blowing this team up mid season. If you can get a playoff run with a team no one wants to play in a small market you take it. And winning can only help JJJ’s development into a winning player in the future. 

I wholeheartedly agree here.  Starting your prospects off on a winning track can only make them better.

19 hours ago, King Dork said:

Oh yeah. We are definitely a team nobody wants to play.  

We look like one of those Duncan/Robinson Spurs teams.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, Subliminal said:

I apologize if I have come off as defensive in the removal of the thread from the main board. It’s just that it wasn’t a trade proposal. It’s a topic that has been discussed greatly throughout the last several years without hinderance and it boggles my mind that it would be taken out back and given the Ol’ Yeller treatment. 

Obviously, no hard feelings. It’s clear others feel the same way. I don’t want to force you to make new precedence, it’s just that this isn’t your throwaway ESPN trade machine proposal fodder.  Like I said, if I must, I can change the verbiage to follow forum protocols. 

No pressure, enjoy your holiday!

I like this new softer side of you, keep it up